Adult relationships...

swirl

IG: rhonda_hair
Ladies...how do you introduce your man to others? I think referring to a 46 year old man as your "boyfriend" sounds kinda crazy...your thoughts?

I have found no word to be suitable :nono: So I usually just say, This is [First Name]. And let it progress from there. Sometimes if I am talking about him in general conversation to some unknown person I may say boyfriend. I don't know of any I like: boyfriend?, SO?, partner?, man?, friend? guy? I just the easy route of avoidance. :yep: :lol:

Significant other is tough for me to say so either I'll say this is ____ or my partner. Boyfriend sounds teenagish lol

I don't really like 'partner' but that seems to be the trend now. I think it first used by those in same gender relationships.

I would like to say "partner". I haven't yet.. in the past I just introduce the person with their name and people figure it out. i adore when I hear my boss and his friends/colleagues refer to their wives as partners. It always has such a tone of respect and equal footing to it. I like it... a lot.

Good question!

I do like how some guys use "lady friend" when describing their girlfriend.
But as a lady it sounds odd to say my "man/male friend"....to me.

So I'm taking notes on this one.....

My roommate used to say this is My___(his name)___. It was cute, when they got engaged she was comfortable saying fiance.

A856 said:
Good question!

How about 'my gentleman friend'?

My roommate used to say this is My___(his name)___. It was cute, when they got engaged she was comfortable saying fiance.

I was going to say this. For some reason, I can't really verbally say "my boyfriend." IDK why, I just remember when my first boyfriend would call himself that I'd cringe and now I don't like it. The first time I introduced him I didn't know what to say but after I said "my" my mouth didn't want to say boyfriend so I said his name. I happened to look at him and he was smiling so I figured, that works. I'm sure I'd be comfortable saying "my fiance" though :look:

This was in a casual setting. I guess in a more formal setting, I would just say his name.

ETA: I don't have a problem with "boyfriend" because of age--I don't mind appearing immature :look: It's just weird.

Last edited:
i say boyfriend. i feel like partner is something you have to earn... from actually living as partners. i havent been there yet.

i will sometimes say "gentleman caller" if im being funny :lol:

i say boyfriend. i feel like partner is something you have to earn... from actually living as partners. i havent been there yet.

i will sometimes say "gentleman caller" if im being funny :lol:

ITA. Partner feels like we are actually building a life "together" as opposed to seeing if we fit into each other's life. Interesting.... glad to know I am not alone in that thought process.

Partner indicates a long term monogamous same sex relationship where i'm from. Do straight people use partner? My parents have some gay friends that i grew up hearing rhe term "partner" for, and As recently as 6 months ago there was a lot of confusion about someone using the term partner for someone accompanying us on a trip, because everyone in the group had expected a same sex couple and were thrown off at the partner showing up and being a different gender.

My friend has an aunt in her late 60s who has a boyfriend in his 70s and she refers to him as her companion which i think is a nice way to put a mature spin on the relationship, without any confusion on the nature of relationship, or the heterosexual orientation.

Sent from my iPhone

This happen to us recently and he told is coworkers, this is "Elizablue...soon to be my wife" and he had such a straight face...lol....like he had just said something truly mundane like what day of the week it was.:grin:

Me...I just say this is my sweetie (name).

Good question!

Oh, I would hate for a man to refer to me as their lady friend. It just seems like I'm just a sex partner. And if I am just a mere sex partner, then I don't want anyone else privy to that.

This reminds me of what old southern women say when they are gettin it in and don't want anyone to know. :lol:

EXACTLY. It's a polite way of saying we're just sleeping together...lol.

I would hate for someone to call me their lady friend if we were in a relationship.

I would use the word partner.

That just sounds extra :lol:

Ditto.

It depends on my mood, place and people. Hell sometimes I say this is the stranger I picked up on the way here whatchoname is?

Glad I'm not the only one who has trouble calling a man over forty a boyfriend! I prefer to introduce him as "my best friend" to coworkers/strangers. Our body language makes the boyfriend/girlfriend thing obvious. If you're one of my close girlfriends I'll refer to him as "my sweetie".

Im married now but as I recall.. when I intro'd him I usually just said " this is (his name)' and left it at that. If whomever I intro'd him to knew 'me' then they knew 'what' he was to me.. otherwise it wasnt anyones business.. hes just (his name)

Back