About what age will you stop growing out your hair.

What age range will you stop growing out your hair?

• 30-40 yrs old

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • 40-50 years old

Votes: 20 17.1%
  • 50-60 years old

Votes: 13 11.1%
  • 60-70 years old

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • 70 and beyond.

Votes: 56 47.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

levette

Just wondering, what age will most subscribers here decide to just hang it up and stop growing out your hair very long.

Last edited:
Never. I want Crystal Gale hair. As long as it will grow, that's how long I want it. DH is like :look: Um... how long do you plan to grow it? :perplexed (I'm almost hip length now) and I'm like "I already TOLD you... to the floor!" He didn't think I could get this far, lol... now he's afraid I'll look like Cousin It or Captain Caveman.

Honestly, I saw an older Caucasian women with hip length hair that was very thin see-through in the grocery store today and my first thought was, She needs to get a haircut pronto.

hair is gonna grow regardless..you cant "stop" it..but if you are meaning retain a certain length..then my answer is never..im sure i'll reach my goal within the next 5 years..and im only 18..i dnt see an option for the 20's lol

^^^^ well, she actually said "growing out" which means actively trying to grow your hair to longer lengths....of course, everyone's hair grows....I feel like when people say "grow" on this site, the fact that they are talking about retention and growing one's hair longer is simply implied.

To answer the question, I don't know. But, seeing as how I've wanted long hair (not necessarily consciously) since I was a very little girl, I'll probably be actively growing my hair out for the next 15 years or so, into my 40's.....after that, who knows? At some point, longer hair *can* make *some* women look older....

I think Ill keep going until I'm in my late 30s and then switch it up with a short and sexy do.

Funny I've never even thought about this question but maybe in my 40's. I'm 34 now and have no intention of stopping the growth any time soon!

^^^^ well, she actually said "growing out" which means actively trying to grow your hair to longer lengths....of course, everyone's hair grows....I feel like when people say "grow" on this site, the fact that they are talking about retention and growing one's hair longer is simply implied.

To answer the question, I don't know. But, seeing as how I've wanted long hair (not necessarily consciously) since I was a very little girl, I'll probably be actively growing my hair out for the next 15 years or so, into my 40's.....after that, who knows? At some point, longer hair *can* make *some* women look older....

I'm going to maintain at a certain goal length, which I'll most likely reach very soon, so I won't be actively growing to longer lengths after that. I think long silver haired ladies look HOTT b/c it's unique and uncommon cause by that age everyones already chopped all their hair off, or it's thinned, balding etc...That's a bold stand out look for a GM

Bolded: I think the shorter cuts make women look older, more sophisticated that's what they say to young women oh cut your hair so you'll look older, sophisticated and more professional-it can't be both JMO

Last edited:
I am 25 now (will be 26 in October) I figure in 5 years I will be at my goal length.. at that point, I will just maintain.

That being said I voted 30-40.

Never thought about it.

I'm 44 know and going for unstretched SL.
But knowing me I'll go back and forth from jaw length to BSL my whole life.
I don't see me stoping at a certain age and keeping it the same way for a long time.

my goal isnt long hair its healthy hair. i want to lose weight and wear sexy rhianna short dos for awhile, then grow it again in my thirties to hip length then when my kids are all grown and out the house i'll get dreads. ill be here for awhile!!

I do not subscribe to the theory that older women should have shorter hair. I know a lot of women who cut their hair as they aged. I have no plans to do that.

at this point i honestly cant answer the question. i mean i'll probably hit my goal by this time next year then maintain at that. but i've always wanted a pixie so i may chop it all off at 30 and start over. i really dont know. i'm just along for the ride i guess

I dunno, I'll have to see how I feel as I age. I have a ways to go, but for now I'm going for MBL (longest layer) unstretched.

I saw an older white lady 2 days ago with a long braid that reached her knees. It was really thin and not looking right, but to each their own I guess

My mum has bra strap length natural hair and is salt and pepper grey. Every day she is complimented. She braids it up 99% of the time and when she does wear it out strangers compliment her. I want that when i'm in my 50's for sure. She does go through periods where she threatens to cut it all off - she actually complains of looking immature and wants a more sophisticated look. Having said that she refuses to flat iron or wear it unbraided.

Last edited:

Exactly! lol, it's funny when someone tries to school somebody else when they themselves have misunderstood or misread the statement/question.

..I chose 50-60 years old.

Never. I don't think long hair makes you look older. Healthy, shiny hair with body looks great at any age IMO. See-thru, lifeless hair makes you older and kinda worn down. My mother is in her late 50s now and she is WL and looks gorgeous esp. when she wears it down and its swangin'all over the place. Yeah I want to be a head turner well into my retirement years :yep:

I'm going to maintain at a certain goal length, which I'll most likely reach very soon, so I won't be actively growing to longer lengths after that. I think long silver haired ladies look HOTT b/c it's unique and uncommon cause by that age everyones already chopped all their hair off, or it's thinned, balding etc...That's a bold stand out look for a GM

So true, never thought about it that way. I was on the fence about growing it out ( I'm in my early 50s) but I LOVE being unique. Thanks!,Lucia!

Bolded: I think the shorter cuts make women look older, more sophisticated that's what they say to young women oh cut your hair so you'll look older, sophisticated and more professional-it can't be both JMO

Lucia, I completely agree. I see women women at my church in their 40's who look absolutely beautiful with with long hair well into their 40's, 50's, and 60's. I see others with TWAs and other short sleek styles that look good as well. It just depends. I've heard that exact contradictory sentiment - I'm going to be a lawyer and I had a prof say that shorter hair is expected, that it's more professional. But, I fully intend to pursue WL hair, anyway.

When I wrote that last line, I was thinking of a few women I know IRL whose long hair was just "hanging there" and lacked luster. It seemed to be weighing them down and when they cut it, they appeared more youthful. But, it's not a general rule....thanks for pointing that out! :yep:

Women can look elegant at any age with long hair, imo (not that all DO) I'm 37 now and plan to keep up healthy hair practices until I can't physically do it anymore.

I am 25 now (will be 26 in October) I figure in 5 years I will be at my goal length.. at that point, I will just maintain.

That being said I voted 30-40.

:yep: I'm 26 and that's what I think too.

If I'm not where I want to be by the time I'm 30, I'll just maintain at whatever length I have achieved. Don't wanna spend more than 5 yrs PSing, which I'm doing now 95 % of the time.

Then I'll probably cut it back to SL (or APL) when I reach 40 or 45. I personally don't like older ladies with long hair.

I voted 30-40 because I think it'll take me 3-4 years max to get my hair to HL and that's where I'm going to maintain forever unless I decide it's too long and cut back to MBL. I'll be 30 in November.

I've never had long hair in my life so I think I'll continue to grow it longer and longer until I get tired of it...On another note: I want to have long hair when I have kids because I will be able to easily throw it back in a low mani ponytail/bun :lachen:

For me, it's not about age, but goal. I would like to grow out my hair to MBL. Right now, I am 32, headed towards BSL, next year, I am gunning for MBL. So by 33 or 34, I will be done in maintenance mode. :)

Lets see I'm 40 now, It will be a year in July that I started taking care of my hair. Probably never, I have no plans on ever cutting my hair.

I will stop growing my hair out if I get to a state where I cannot care for it myself.

Once I reach HL...I'll stop growing it for more length and just maintain...I'm 31 now and I'm below APL going for BSL by Dec 2010. I think that it'll take a couple of years beyond that, so I guess I will vote 35 (30-40)...

I'm 37 now and have never had hair past SL. I would like to get to BSL next year and WL by the end of 2011. As I continue to marvel at the lengths my hair can achieve, I will continue to strive to grow it out until I can't anymore.

Back