2016 A P L/b S L Challenge

theres just two of us, but we spend a shamefully unchristian amount of money on food, so we decided to reel it in. we chose three things we each want to keep (hair supplies was on my list lol) and we're cutting back on the rest. food was not on the list, so we're cutting the grocery budget. i'm kind of excited until i went to whole foods yesterday to say my goodbyes... :cry3:... i think it'll be kind of fun actually.

@Prettymetty YOU SPEND 300 -400 with 6!!! That's awesome

@Daina 150 should be the goal.... baby steps :). Thanks!

Last edited:
Today I exfoliated my scalp with Nioxin Scalp Renew

Shampooed with Redken Time Rest Shampoo (this shampoo has exfoliating properties in it) I felt a really good tingle on my scalp with these first two products.

I used semi permanent color in black for gray hair for the first time. I will see how well this works.

I will be oil rinsing with a coconut oil/aloe vera juice combo.

Deep conditioning with Hea Moisture Anti Breakage Strengthening Masque followed with Kerastase Chroma Riche Masque for moisture.

Leave in - Aunt Jackie's Quench

Moisturizing with CRN Aloe Whipped Butter gel and sealing with some natural butter/oil combo.

I am hoping to make bsl by the end of the year. 10 on my shirt is the top of my bra strap and I am at 9! I am too excited! Last time I got here I had a lot of breakage from over moisturized hair. I have been keeping up with my protein/moisture balance and I hope to keep this up. I am taking viviscal again as well to help in meeting my goals.

This is my may update. When I put on my LC shirt today the 10 is top of bsl. I think I will make my goal this year and I am so excited!

Attachments

• 20160506_165704.jpg
    20160506_165704.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 82
  • 20160506_165704.jpg
    20160506_165704.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 81
Six months after the challenge and I've reached half of my goals!! My hair is officially APL and the goal was actually reached in May. I dusted 1/2 inch and grew it back but the dusting really made a big difference. My hair didn't tangle, twist and knot as much and actually made caring for it fun. It grew 3 - 31/2 since January and I estimate I lost a 1/2 - 1 inch of hair in May, in the Great Detangling War of 2016. If I don't consciously and proactively wear my bonnet nightly, hydrate with water more than I want, take care of my ends constantly, I will not be able to keep my length and it will break off. The next phase is working on the health of my hair so another inch will have to be cut. Sometimes I lost motivation but I knew I was in a challenge and did not want to quit and glad I didn't. Oh, I did quit one thing, hanging my head upside down off the bed to increase blood flow to the follicles....no no no.. uh uh!

Attachments

• 2016-07-07 13.19.04-1.jpg
    2016-07-07 13.19.04-1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 85
Six months after the challenge and I've reached half of my goals!! My hair is officially APL and the goal was actually reached in May. I dusted 1/2 inch and grew it back but the dusting really made a big difference. My hair didn't tangle, twist and knot as much and actually made caring for it fun. It grew 3 - 31/2 since January and I estimate I lost a 1/2 - 1 inch of hair in May, in the Great Detangling War of 2016. If I don't consciously and proactively wear my bonnet nightly, hydrate with water more than I want, take care of my ends constantly, I will not be able to keep my length and it will break off. The next phase is working on the health of my hair so another inch will have to be cut. Sometimes I lost motivation but I knew I was in a challenge and did not want to quit and glad I didn't. Oh, I did quit one thing, hanging my head upside down off the bed to increase blood flow to the follicles....no no no.. uh uh!
It looks good. It's amazing how those few inches changes the look of hair.

washed Saturday and did a moisture DC overnight. Put my hair in flat twists and redid them maybe tuesday.

Took a piece out yesterday and straightened it. Almost apl!

Took all the flat twists down today and clipped my ends on just stretched hair. but it in a top bun with kanekalon

I'm really tired of my hair but I'm so close to apl, so I need to just leave it alone in a bun if I'm going to be cutting on it or lazy.

Here are more pics for my June LC. The purple line indicates where my hair ends.

Left side
March 2016

June 2016

Right side
March 2016

June 2016

Front
March 2016

June 2016 (sorry for the dark pic). Peach line is my chin.

I legit struggled to take pics of the back. I gave up. Sorry y'all.

Last edited:
Here are more pics for my June LC. The purple line indicates where my hair ends.

Left side
March 2016

June 2016

Right side
March 2016

June 2016

Front
March 2016

June 2016 (sorry for the dark pic). Peach line is my chin.

I legit struggled to take pics of the back. I gave up. Sorry y'all.
Congratulations on making APL and that's on stretched hair.

Finally did my hair yesterday and I noticed I had a lot of shedding/tangles which I think is due to my s-curl spray so I'll stop using that. This may be my last week wearing my wigs and then I may prep my hair for braids to give it a break.

This morning I'll be finishing up my last bit of Redken Time Reset Shampoo.

I'll be oil rinsing with a mixture of avj, evco and evoo.

Deep Conditioning with Macadamia Nourishing Moisture Masque

Used CRN Curl Maker with Wetline Xtreme gel and some oil on my bunned hair.

Ladies, tomorrow is my three year nappy-versary. Last relaxer was three years ago. I BC-ed two years ago and today I installed my first "long-term" protective style-mini twists. I'm so excited about my twists-not sure they're picture-worthy but this is the first time I've been able to do it and I'm taking a picture! My natural, unprocessed hair has never been this long in my entire life!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    541.4 KB · Views: 67
I moisturized my hair with CRN Aloe Whipped Butter gel mixed in with some ceramide oils to keep it moisturized longer. It feels really good right now.

I'm in jumbo box braids!!
Saturday:
moisturized with Cantu leave in
detangled used my fingers and my tangle teazer
sectioned my hair in large boxes
smacked on a ton of shea butter and made sure it was evenly distributed
braided my own hair without the extensions

Sunday and Monday
braided my plaits into a bun
Monday night:
braided 12 of the plaits with extensions
This morning:
finished the other 10 braids

I'm happy:) i'll wear it like this for the rest of this month

Prepooing with Aloe Vera Juice/WGO/Biolage Conditioning Balm Combo.
Shampooing with Macadamia Natural Oil Weightless Moisture Shampoo
Deep Conditioning with Naturelle Grow Marshmallow Protein and Moisture Conditioners.
Leave in - Naturelle Grow Soft & Silky Leave-in conditioner.

Sealing with CRN Coconut Water Style Setter/Hemp Oil Combo (I whipped these two together and added some glycerin and it is perfect for my hair now). Before, it was just too thick. The Style Setter is probably not going on my repurchase list because it didn't wow me, well not yet anyway.

I need to stay off of this site, I checked into another challenge the other day just updating on my hair plan to only wash and air dry for the rest of the summer and literally a day later I straightened lol. Last time I checked in I planned in staying in braids then the next few days took them out and haven't thought about doing them again since
You guys make me want to mess with my hair... But OAN because flat ironed I had to take a pic before I went out into the humidity, my shorter side is a little past my shoulder and the longest section on my longer side is APL! So hopeful my shorter side will make apl by December and my longer side will be close to BSL
image.jpg eta: pic is today, this is my shorter side, there's about an inch and a half difference between the 2, no damage or anything, air drying in 2 big twists I just snipped the ends off back in January, big mistake lol

I recently went on a trip to Texas for school. Annndddd it was great! I love the Dallas/Arlington area and I really enjoyed my whole trip. Now about my hair: I normally wash my hair 2x times a week(wed and sat/sun). My flight for Dallas was on Thursday, so I end up doing my hair super late and my flat twist wasn't dry by the morning. So by the time I got to my aunt's house in Dallas,my hair was ultra dry mess. I had to m&s all over again. I co-washed on Saturday and did my usually flat twists. Fast-forward to now: I had to do my Saturday hair routine between Monday and Sunday due to a paper being due on sunday. So my flat is still under my bonnet in flat twist that I'll take out for a flat twist tomorrow. I also plan to get my hair cut in August before I install some box braids. I want her to cut of about 1 1/2 in to help get rid of my damaged ends.

Im still over here trying to hold on to my edges, postpartum shedding is killing me.

This weekend, I will add some neutral protein filler to my deep conditioner and add a little bamboo spray in weekly.

i've given up on length checks. Lets pray I make it to the end of the year with most of my hair intact

I cowashed my bun this morning and didnt realize a piece was out until I had put it back up. Stretched it and seem to still be holding at the same place.

Thanks for the encouragement @AbsyBlvd , No one mentions the shedding when they tell you about the pregnancy glow

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1469103878867.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1469103878867.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 31
Back