2015 APL/BSL Challenge

Hola duchesses! Just finally getting around to posting my starting pics--although I am usually posting pics for no reason anyway. But here I post a few which I am using for motivation. The first is exactly a year ago. See the length and the breakage spot! The next in the white tank which was February last year. And then fast forward to now, taken Saturday in my stylists' chair after my relaxer. That breakage is now completely blended in with the few long layers I have in my hair and its grown a lot. Although if it were up to me my hair would be all blunt, but ah well. My question is, do I need a trim? My hair is a little annoying now because it seems to flip up on the end and my last trim was September of last year, so maybe I'm due. What do we think, don't want to chop for no reason.
no trim! You could lightly dust, but no trim!

Thanks shortdub. I have to find a way to do it myself. I have yet to find a stylist that understands what dusts mean. Actually one in Florida but given that I'm in Boston, that doesn't help.
I told a stylist to dust and she made fun of me. That was over ten years ago. Because of YouTube she knows what it means now. You can do it. You just cut the very ends. Like 1/8-1/4 of an inch. Your ends look good.

thank you! You did a great job on your hair! How long did it take you to get to that length?

I'll be 11 months post bald in 10 days!!! Yes, post bald :lol:. I keep looking in the mirror and touching my hair because I can't believe I was bald almost a year ago :lol:

I don't know what has caused this sudden increase in breakage. I'm losing lots of hair during de tangling. I don't know if I should stop wearing high puffs or what. Same products from before the breakage. I don't know
I had the same issue. Figured out that it had something to do with tight buns and too much manipulation. If you're using the same products its either the way you're styling your hair or possible health issues.

Hola duchesses! Just finally getting around to posting my starting pics--although I am usually posting pics for no reason anyway. But here I post a few which I am using for motivation. The first is exactly a year ago. See the length and the breakage spot! The next in the white tank which was February last year.

And then fast forward to now, taken Saturday in my stylists' chair after my relaxer. That breakage is now completely blended in with the few long layers I have in my hair and its grown a lot. Although if it were up to me my hair would be all blunt, but ah well. My question is, do I need a trim? My hair is a little annoying now because it seems to flip up on the end and my last trim was September of last year, so maybe I'm due. What do we think, don't want to chop for no reason.

Your hair looks great. What awesome progress

Straightened my hair yesterday and I hate it. There's no way I could wear my hair out straight. My ends are way too thin. I will try a braidout this weekend. I definitely need to wait until I'm 2 years post to BC because I am very length obsessed.

Okay I lied. I love this straight hair. Buns and braided updos are so easy and neat. I did a Bantu knot out and it looked amazing and was SO shiny. I can't wait to see how my hair looks in a year after it's thickened up. Straight hair just might be for me.

I don't know what has caused this sudden increase in breakage. I'm losing lots of hair during de tangling. I don't know if I should stop wearing high puffs or what. Same products from before the breakage. I don't know

Tangling and even though you're using the same products huh, maybe it's time you dust or trim your hair? That always does the trick for me!

I know when I wore high puffs last year I retained zero length. I was diligent with my regimen too (wash, dc & detangle one week / light protein, dc & detangle the next week / M&S every other day).

When it wasn't wash day, I was busy picking at knotted ends 24/7 (mistake #1). And because my hair was always moisturized and sealed, I thought I didn't need to trim (mistake #2). My hair is on the thiner side, so those tangles ate away retention regardless (lesson learned).

What's your hair like though?

Last edited:
So my havana twists have just come out after a week due to personal circumstances. Didn't really want to but it was definitely for the best as I have tons of SSKs! Sadly my laziness and not really thinking was to blame. I didn't detangle when putting them in and I am suffering the consequences!

Today is the day I build an official regimen. I'm going to by a steamer cap. I definitely don't want to get into product junkism so for now I'm gonna search the internet for the most praised and affordable (I'm not rich! lol) hair products and buy them.

On my list will be a new
- deep conditioner (At the moment I have hollywood beauty's but its got sulfate in it)
- leave in conditioner (African pride but isnt that good and stopped using it a while ago)
- shampoo (Hollywoods beauty's sulfate free but will buy another one.
- maybe protein. I already have aphogee 2 minute reconstructor which is okay but I don't know if its strong enough

Okay I lied. I love this straight hair. Buns and braided updos are so easy and neat. I did a Bantu knot out and it looked amazing and was SO shiny. I can't wait to see how my hair looks in a year after it's thickened up. Straight hair just might be for me.

I feel the same way!!! When I ended up relaxing last year, I was on the fence about being a straight-haired natural. Since I've BC'd, I've straightened my hair 4 or 5 times :look:. My hair is at the length where it doesn't look crazy straight, and I can easily style it compared to when it's in its curly state.

I haven't even been wrapping or rolling my hair at night. I just do a low pony, tie on my scarf and comb it down in the morning. I love it!!! I'm trying to get 3 weeks out of this bad boy (down 1 and it's still straight) :lick:. Even if my hair only lasts 2 weeks, I'm definitely going to keep straightening my hair regularly :yep:

So I never officially joined this challenge

Current hair length - shoulder length
Natural - debating heat training since my natural hair styles seem to always be a #fail
Goal month - December?

I usually prepoo with Shea moisture hair mask and some type of oil once a week. Wash with a moisturizing shampoo and Alternate between AOHSR and AOGPR every other week. Most of the time I just air dry and bun... Lately I've been straightening about once a month

I want to start cowashing mid week but it's difficult with my schedule
Sorry if this looks jumbled I'm typing from my phone

image-2462933434.jpg

Just an update , I have a weave installed I have had it in for about 2 weeks now and today was the first time I was my canerows and I will continue to wash my hair underneath every 2 weeks and the extensions every week and i intend to keep it in for at least 8-10 weeks

Attachments

• image-2806354241.jpg
    image-2806354241.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 26
i took my minitwists out the other day. they lasted for 24 days. not too bad. i dc'ed and detangled using shea moisture african black soap purification masque and then put in some bigger twists. hopefully i can make these last for a good amount of time. my bigger twists dont usually last as long as when i do smaller ones, but i'm going to try my best.

i think i might give the inversion method another whirl even though i didnt see any results last time. i'm gonna try it a couple more times before giving up. i'll stop doing it if i dont see any results from it this or next month.

Found half a bottle of aubrey blue chamomile at my parents house. Clearly diluted to a creamier, thinner texture with aloe and jojoba oil. Happily surprised!

Anyone have opinions on hand held clothes steamers? They don't seem to sell q redew in the UK. I'm looking at this one atm but I'm worried it could be too hot.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quest-Porta...=1423308078&sr=8-7&keywords=hand+held+steamer

I've been browsing the idea of a steamer for a little while (mainly looking at hand held/cleaning steamers). This looks good. I was looking for one slightly larger capacity for a longer running time but am struggling to take the plunge. For now I'm sticking to my baggy/hot towel/shower cap/baggy combo. It's working and it costs me but £1.99 for my heating/shower cap.

I've been browsing the idea of a steamer for a little while (mainly looking at hand held/cleaning steamers). This looks good. I was looking for one slightly larger capacity for a longer running time but am struggling to take the plunge. For now I'm sticking to my baggy/hot towel/shower cap/baggy combo. It's working and it costs me but £1.99 for my heating/shower cap.

I used to do that too then I just stopped altogether because it found it quite time consuming and not really effective heat wise. I know I need something strong to aid my treatments but I'm worried that this may be too strong for the hair. I have a steam iron so I know how hot they can get.

I guess I could buy it and wrap a damp towel around my head while I apply the heat for 30 minutes or so. I still have some time to decide while I plan my regimen. I may just invest in a hooded one.

Back