2015 APL/BSL Challenge

After my flat iron last month, I haven't done anything to my hair. I've just washed it and worn twists under a wig. Not really exciting at all.

I also hit experimenting with butters and I mixed up a nice avocado and cocoa butter mix. It keeps my hair so soft! I also use it on my body as it's good for dry skin.

I also found a JBCO shampoo which is a nice alternative to my clay washes when I can't be bothered to do them. It didn't clean my scalp how I want to so I'm going to stick to a sulphate shampoo on my scalp like I have been doing.

I'm still finger combing and washing every two weeks. I will be alternating with twists and wigs. I really don't feel like doing my hair.

Thank you!!!!! :grin: I didn't use heat protectant or leave-in. After I shampoo'd, DC'd, and rinsed, I rubbed through some sweet almond oil. Then I went on and blowdried and flatironed :yep: .

I'm still excited about my hair, so I added a couple more pics. And I can do a PONYTAIL :superbanana:!!!!!!!

Looks great! Good job

Thank you!!!!! :grin: I didn't use heat protectant or leave-in. After I shampoo'd, DC'd, and rinsed, I rubbed through some sweet almond oil. Then I went on and blowdried and flatironed :yep: . I'm still excited about my hair, so I added a couple more pics. And I can do a PONYTAIL :superbanana:!!!!!!!

Who was the youtuber ckisland ?

Her hair came out great as well. I just started using this butter (pic attached) and it says to use to straighten hair. I'm skeptical, but I might give it a try. I need to straighten to trim my ends.

Attachments

• image-3831901680.jpg
    image-3831901680.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I'm still here! Nice progress ladies! I relaxed my hair and it is totally texturized! I wanted to roller set, but maybe another day. I'm going to have to get a corrective in a few months. I'm going to blow dry and flat iron tonight and wear a bun until wash day.

Hiiiiii :wave:

i'm new (but BEEN lurking) and i'm up for the challenge!

Current Length:
APL

Hair:
natural & bottom half is dyed.

Goal Month:
June

Current Reggie:
wash, condition, light protein (bi-weekly), DC, bun, M&S, and let it air dry every week. GHE every day.

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL:
Same routine as above, but I wont be bunning... i'm going to have my hair braided under a wig instead. I'm also going to co-wash as often as I can and dust every 3 months.

Post a beginning picture:
please excuse the dirty mirror lolol..
apllyfe.JPG

Too tired to dc last night. Just shampooed with african black soap. Hair felt clean, curls clumped. I didnt conditon or anything. Went straight to moisturize and twist. Used a bit of olive oil on my leave out instead of a butter to seal. It did well. Surprised, since its a cheap brand.

Tonight I massaged whipped java butter into my scalp after spritzing with juices and berries. I need to get the matching pomade...

Hiiiiii :wave: i'm new (but BEEN lurking) and i'm up for the challenge! Current Length: APL Hair: natural & bottom half is dyed. Goal Month: June Current Reggie: wash, condition, light protein (bi-weekly), DC, bun, M&S, and let it air dry every week. GHE every day. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL: Same routine as above, but I wont be bunning... i'm going to have my hair braided under a wig instead. I'm also going to co-wash as often as I can and dust every 3 months. Post a beginning picture: please excuse the dirty mirror lolol..
Welcome. I like your color.

Thank you!!!!! :grin: I didn't use heat protectant or leave-in. After I shampoo'd, DC'd, and rinsed, I rubbed through some sweet almond oil. Then I went on and blowdried and flatironed :yep: . I'm still excited about my hair, so I added a couple more pics. And I can do a PONYTAIL :superbanana:!!!!!!!
Weren't you bald just yesterday? You be made great progress since your chop. Great job on the flat iron.

Pics from my wash today. I've done 2 thorough dustings since joining this challenge and I must say I'm noticing retention with my regimen. No pull test pics. Just thought I'd mention that I am excited for this yrs growth/retention:yep:.

Attachments

• 2015-02-01_21.11.28.jpg
    2015-02-01_21.11.28.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 57
Pics from my wash today. I've done 2 thorough dustings since joining this challenge and I must say I'm noticing retention with my regimen. No pull test pics. Just thought I'd mention that I am excited for this yrs growth/retention:yep:.
pretty! Your hair reminds me of mine! Great progress!

update: still in my sew-in, i'm doing my wash day routine right now. i honestly haven't done anything this elaborate in a loooooong time. i can tell my hair misses this kind of TLC, it was blinging after i rinsed out my pre-poo.

pre-poo with coconut oil, jamaican lime and mango oil mix, and queen helene cholesterol
shampoo and instant condition with shea moisture manuka honey line
DC'ing right now with the shea moisture manuka honey masque-it's a lovely DC! plenty of slip, smells good, and feels moisturizing

I plan to blowdry and flatiron after this.

I think I'm actually APL now. Just barely, but there. Two years after I joined the first APL challenge (major eyeroll.) I'm kinda scared to claim it, but I will this year. Also scared to get a trim. Hah.

I don't know what has caused this sudden increase in breakage. I'm losing lots of hair during de tangling. I don't know if I should stop wearing high puffs or what. Same products from before the breakage. I don't know

I don't know what has caused this sudden increase in breakage. I'm losing lots of hair during de tangling. I don't know if I should stop wearing high puffs or what. Same products from before the breakage. I don't know
is it coming from the nape, or the crown area? If it is product, your texture would feel different.

Your hair looks great

Hola duchesses! Just finally getting around to posting my starting pics--although I am usually posting pics for no reason anyway. But here I post a few which I am using for motivation. The first is exactly a year ago. See the length and the breakage spot! The next in the white tank which was February last year.

And then fast forward to now, taken Saturday in my stylists' chair after my relaxer. That breakage is now completely blended in with the few long layers I have in my hair and its grown a lot. Although if it were up to me my hair would be all blunt, but ah well. My question is, do I need a trim? My hair is a little annoying now because it seems to flip up on the end and my last trim was September of last year, so maybe I'm due. What do we think, don't want to chop for no reason.

Attachments

• IMG_1078.JPG
    IMG_1078.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1080.JPG
    IMG_1080.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 55
  • trim 1.jpg
    trim 1.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 63
  • trim 2.jpg
    trim 2.jpg