2013/2014 Brides Roll Call & Random Thoughts :-)

Ok. I need help. There are two dresses. I tried on one and liked it. I tried on the second and almost choked up a little. Kept it together though. I can't decide. What do y'all think?

Oh boy, I guess this is what in have to look forward to lol. I am partial to the first one :-)

I love the first one too! I sent out an official bridal party email this weekend with a time line of events created by my planning and we had a FaceTime meeting about the budget and itemized list which I'm really happy about bc I didn't have that I just had a decor and flower budget now I have actual costs and were within budget so far so that's good news to my FH's ears and she got in touch with the drapery guy. Next up is buying my guest book, flutes, cake cutting silverware, ring bearer pillow and flower girl basket I found some really cute flutes on Things remembered that were on sale too.

August 9, 2014! First bridal shower is happening in March and my second one is in April I believe. bachelorette party in May!!!!

September 5, 2014. Bridal shower in July, not sure about a bachelorette party but I probably won't have one.

Hello ladies :wavey: I am newly engaged (he proposed on New Year's eve)!! :grin: I have read just about all the posts in this thread!! And Im already overwhelmed!! :lol: We havent set a date yet due to some of FH family dynamics but I still have so many questions I don't know where to begin.
cookiemonster,
This is what FH and I are doing! Would it be wrong to invite some people to only the "cake and punch" reception and not inform them of the real reception?

Congrats!

For my wedding, I didn't have a reception for church members, but I had cake and cider for them after the wedding. We socialized with the church members for a while before heading to the restaurant with family and close friends.

It wasn't ghetto at all, and I think it was smart because it saved us a ton of money. The people that wanted to be there were there and didn't care about food. Everyone was happy for us and it was a great day and that's all that matters in the end.

So as for my questions ladies:

How do you decide on an overall budget?
I know we don't have a whole lot to spend but I still want it to be nice.

What are some cost cutting tips?

Do you have to send Save the Dates? Is this something that you could go without?

Is it worth going to the bridal shows? Did anyone pick any of their vendors from going to one?

Do photographers normally include engagement pics in the overall cost of the wedding pics?

As many weddings as I have seen, I didnt realize how expensive they can be. Every time I see something costly or that I want, I immediately want to DIY it! :lol:

Like the boudoir shoot for my FH, I have thought about having one of my girlfriends take them with her professional camera. Plus, I don't think I could be that "sexy" for a male photographer. Im sure FH would be like "wait, who TOOK these pics." :rolleyes:

Congrats!! :grin:

Here are my answers:

I didn't decide on a budget. (not a good idea)
I figured I would be comfortable (or should be) spending about the average for my area. But I went over that. Because like you, I wanted something "nice." :ohwell: Let's just say I have been getting things because I didn't want to settle & would be so happy until I add them to my budget tracker. :nono: It's all out of control now. But I know I wouldn't be happy if I didn't get what I have. I make myself happy again by looking at the amazing work of all my vendors. :yep:

*kanyeshrug*

- GUEST LIST. Don't invite any and everyone.
- Flowers! Try to DIY. I didn't but I read online of brides buying their own flowers from Costco.
- STD's from online sites when they are having huges sales or through groupon, living social, stc.
- A lot of vendors sell their services through groupon, etc. Just be sure to check their reviews first.

Do you have to send Save the Dates? Is this something that you could go without?
I FINALLY sent mine out. Very late at that. :perplexed I do recommend it if:
- you will be doing an engagement shoot. Great way to show off your pics
- Your wedding is during a busy time for most people

Is it worth going to the bridal shows? Did anyone pick any of their vendors from going to one?

I did not go to any shows. It didn't cross my mind until I had already picked my vendors. I picked all mine through online. I have heard of brides getting great deals by going to them. Can't hurt.

Do photographers normally include engagement pics in the overall cost of the wedding pics?
I think most do. Mine didn't, however. Well, she did initially, but took it out later & I didn't fight her on it. I think she forgot she had thrown it in. I don't care really. If I were you, I would try to get a package that includes one. Great way to get comfortable in front of the camera and with your photog

Hello ladies :wavey: I am newly engaged (he proposed on New Year's eve)!! :grin: I have read just about all the posts in this thread!! And Im already overwhelmed!! :lol: We havent set a date yet due to some of FH family dynamics but I still have so many questions I don't know where to begin.
@cookiemonster,
This is what FH and I are doing! Would it be wrong to invite some people to only the "cake and punch" reception and not inform them of the real reception?

As many weddings as I have seen, I didnt realize how expensive they can be. Every time I see something costly or that I want, I immediately want to DIY it! :lol:

Like the boudoir shoot for my FH, I have thought about having one of my girlfriends take them with her professional camera. Plus, I don't think I could be that "sexy" for a male photographer. Im sure FH would be like "wait, who TOOK these pics." :rolleyes:

1. We didn't really decide on a concrete number. I want what I want and so far I have been able to get it.

2.Guest list. We are only having about 80 people and that's because our venue requires an 80 person minimum. Believe me, if we could get away with 30 or 40 we would.

Flowers. Florists and premium flowers are VERY expensive.

3. For us Save the Dates are a necessity. My family will be traveling so they need a reminder in advance. Plus, we want to show off our engagement pictures. Everyone doesn't need them however. If your wedding is during a particularly prime time such as a holiday, definitely send them.

4. We went to one bridal show but that was because it was being held in a venue that we were considering. We didn't choose any of our vendors from it. So far all of our vendors have come from Wedding Wire. Honestly, I don't think they are really worth going to. You can do all of your research online and then meet with the vendors whose work you really like.

5. Some photographers do include an engagement session along with wedding sessions, others don't. Our photographer didn't.

As for the boudoir shoot, there are plenty of women photographers that do them. In my area, that seems to be all there are.

Last edited:
secretdiamond, that you for your response!! I am already seeing that about the guest list! My mom wants to invite everyone Im like :nono:, not happening!!

MizAvalon,
So what are you doing for your flowers? I have been thinking about going to Costco as secretdiamond mentioned. I wish I could do 80 for a guest list but my FH and I both have larger immediate families so that already knocks that out right there. Im going to my second bridal show on Saturday, (the first one I went with my sister before I got engaged). For this one, I am hoping to maybe catch some deals but then again, how will I know what a deal is if I don't really have anything to really compare with it. SMH.

@secretdiamond, that you for your response!! I am already seeing that about the guest list! My mom wants to invite everyone Im like :nono:, not happening!!

@MizAvalon,
So what are you doing for your flowers? I have been thinking about going to Costco as @secretdiamond mentioned. I wish I could do 80 for a guest list but my FH and I both have larger immediate families so that already knocks that out right there. Im going to my second bridal show on Saturday, (the first one I went with my sister before I got engaged). For this one, I am hoping to maybe catch some deals but then again, how will I know what a deal is if I don't really have anything to really compare with it. SMH.

delitefulmane, I still haven't decided what I'm going to do about flowers. I will still probably get some, just not the huge, dramatic arrangements that I originally considered. I have only met with one florist so far and she quoted me $11,000 and that was just for flowers. She said that the styling and decor I was interested in was going to be another $5,000-$15,000.:blush:

@MizAvalon, $5,000-15,000?? WOW!! NO MA'AM!! She definitely lost her mind!! I have faith that I am going to be able to pull off this wedding of my dreams on a budget! :yep:

That's on top of the $11,000 for flowers. So, she basically quoted me anywhere from $16-$26k for flowers and decor. The wedding industry has got to be the biggest racket there is. As soon as a vendor hears the word wedding, the price gets doubled our tripled because they know brides are emotional about having the day of their dreams and will likely pay it.

I can't afford to go that high for just flowers and decor but I'm still really glad I met with her because she has worked my venue many times and let me know that a few of the things I wanted wouldn't work there. Plus she gave me some really great ideas that I had never considered that I am definitely going to do now. I may even still hire her because she does exquisite work but the price will have to come down. My photographer knows her and told me to ask for a discount.

delitefulmane

I'm going to a bridal show this weekend too. I found my top 2 - 3 vendors for things that I'm looking for right now and contacted them over the holiday. That put me on their email list and they recently sent out "Bridal Show" prices. I'll be saving $300 on a photo booth I wanted and almost $2000 on the photography/videography package I was looking at.

Hold the phone! Have y'all seen these Berta gowns?

image-3304090578.jpg

image-3043911348.jpg

Contemplating walking down the aisle without an arm and a leg to get one of these. Just stunning.

attachment.php

This one is :thud: Amazing!!! Im in :love:

How do you ladies decide on a photographer? What is a decent price to pay for one?

How do you decide on a wedding planner? Did you have to "meet with them for a consultation" before they give their price? What is an average price to pay for one?

How do you ladies decide on a photographer? What is a decent price to pay for one?

How do you decide on a wedding planner? Did you have to "meet with them for a consultation" before they give their price? What is an average price to pay for one?

I found my photographer by reading reviews on Wedding Wire. I wanted a very specific photojournalism style and I fell in love with his work. We had a meeting with him, saw his portfolio, and hired him on the spot. Decent price is really a relative term, so it really depends on your budget and what's important to you. Prices are all over the place. Anywhere from a few hundred to the very high thousands, depending on how in demand the photographer is. One photographer quoted me $8000.

I don't need a full on planner since I have already done most of the work myself but I will be hiring a day of coordinator because I just can't be bothered on the day worrying about little details. Many planners/ coordinators have their package prices listed on their site. If they don't, just shoot them an email and they will tell you.

Last edited:
Just got an email saying that my Save the Dates should be arriving next week! :)

Can't wait to send them out. Everything is all starting to seem more real now. The wedding isn't just some far off day in the future, it's actually happening. Sometimes it doesn't seem that way when you are early in the planning process but once things start getting bought, vendors start getting booked, and things are printed up and sent out, it all seems so more real.

Ladies,

What should I do FIRST?

I haven't even bought a bridal magazine yet ......I plan to do that tonight! LOL

People are starting to ask me for wedding details and its only been five days since he popped the questions.

ps. A friend that I haven't seen in over a year asked to try on my ring and I said NO! She tried to debate "whys" and I just said IT ISN'T HAPPENING!

Ladies,

What should I do FIRST?

I haven't even bought a bridal magazine yet ......I plan to do that tonight! LOL

People are starting to ask me for wedding details and its only been five days since he popped the questions.

ps. A friend that I haven't seen in over a year asked to try on my ring and I said NO! She tried to debate "whys" and I just said IT ISN'T HAPPENING!

I say choose your venue ASAP. Popular venues book up way in advance, I'm talking like 2 years out for some of them.

Good point on the venue MizAvalon

So..... I've had my officiant picked for over 6 months now. I never thought to mention to my mother she was a woman. My mother freaked out. I already paid the deposit (50%) and she says she will pay me back the deposit, but a man has to marry me no matter what. smh. I'm so mad because my officiant is amazing. She has been so good to us thus far.

I just got off the phone with a male minister I found on wedding wire. Luckily, he is still available for my date. I just feel so bad having to tell my officiant she can no longer marry us because she is a woman! I mean, this is 2014! And, my mother is one of the women I would least expect this from! Whatever.....

My day is 3/14/14. We havent put a deposit down on a venue yet and Im getting antsy and nervous. My parents are not going to pay for the whole reception like I had hoped I was looking at around 10k for the reception.

My day is 3/14/14. We havent put a deposit down on a venue yet and Im getting antsy and nervous. My parents are not going to pay for the whole reception like I had hoped I was looking at around 10k for the reception.

Please tell me you mean 3/14/15?

My Save The Dates just arrived and they came out beautifully! Can't wait to address them all and send them out! :grin:

Back