2013/2014 Brides Roll Call & Random Thoughts :-)

Ordered my cake and invitations today! :grin:

The downside is that FH brought home the leftover samples and now I have a bunch of little pieces of cake staring me in the face. #muststaystrong

Anyone slimming down for their big day? I have been doing really well since I started in April even with a little bit of cheating.

However as of tomorrow I have exactly 8 weeks left and I have to be strict from here on out. I want to look better overall but I really want to concentrate on my arms and back since my dress is strapless. Really don't want any embarrassing jiggle.

I have 16 days. EEk.

So why am I just finding out that the vendors need to be tipped anywhere from 10-20%?? Sigh...personally I'm so tired of handing vendors money at every turn, bend and curve. :nono:

I have 16 days. EEk.

So why am I just finding out that the vendors need to be tipped anywhere from 10-20%?? Sigh...personally I'm so tired of handing vendors money at every turn, bend and curve. :nono:

Yes, that's on top of the 20% "service charge" they add to your bill!

Are these people freaking crazy?! My florist and DJ were both $1,500. The photographer was $2,500. Are we really expected to pay them based on percentage? Then there's the photobooth attendant and the DOC, hair and makeup. Is one supposed to roll up to the venue with an extra $2000 to hand out to all of these people afterward? Hammercy! :nono:

Let's just say, I had a LOT of cash on hand and my wedding planner came in that morning in between doing my hair and makeup, said I needed to allocate tip for every vendor, and I ended up with nothing left. Nothing. DH gave out the rest of the cash for tip throughout the day, and he was a little too generous at that. I don't even want to think about the total amont of money in tips spent. My mind would explode.
However, in general, if the person servicing you directly is the owner of the business, I read you do not have to give extra.

Let's just say, I had a LOT of cash on hand and my wedding planner came in that morning in between doing my hair and makeup, said I needed to allocate tip for every vendor, and I ended up with nothing left. Nothing. DH gave out the rest of the cash for tip throughout the day, and he was a little too generous at that. I don't even want to think about the total amont of money in tips spent. My mind would explode.
However, in general, if the person servicing you directly is the owner of the business, I read you do not have to give extra.

This is true. You don't have to tip the proprietor.

We had a cake tasting on Saturday at a bakery that was recommended by a friend - could someone give me a price range per guest for a 3-tier / 2-flavor cake?

The price quoted seemed high to me but maybe this is yet another wedding up-charge.

We had a cake tasting on Saturday at a bakery that was recommended by a friend - could someone give me a price range per guest for a 3-tier / 2-flavor cake?

The price quoted seemed high to me but maybe this is yet another wedding up-charge.

Sorry, can't help with the cake pricing. My venue provided our cake for free, but we paid an additional fee to 'upgrade' the decoration. We paid like $300 for it. Our cake was 5 tiers! I had no idea it was going to be so large until the wedding day. lol The # of tiers didn't even cross my mind. lol

Our wedding pics came in! :clap: I LOOOVE them!! Sooo glad we picked our photographer! I also had the worry of picking someone who knew how to deal with black skin. I only saw one photo of my photographer's work with black skin for a professional shoot and I knew that with her shooting style, the pics would be perfect!

I just ordered our Thank You cards with the option to include several of my pics! :grin: It was hard picking a select few out of 1700 photos. lol. Esp when I love 1650 of them. :lol:

FYI: Shutterfly is having a sale- up to %50 off orders $100 or more.
Wedding paper divas was also having a sale- %50 off on gilt. Don't know if it's still available, but these sales recur.

polished07- you looked beautiful!!! Congrats!!

I want to share my photos on instagram, too. I have no idea where to start, how to get followers. I don't tend to be very active with photos on social media, but I want to share my pics!!

We just ordered our 3 tier/2 flavor cake last week. It was $5 a slice.

Last edited:
Just got an email that my invitations have shipped and should be here Saturday. I will spend Sunday addressing them and out they go on Monday! :grin:

Postage is going to be about $200 though. I am so tired of spending money at every turn. :ohwell:

That is absolutely ridiculous! Is this American dollars???

Yes, american money - I'm getting married in Maryland!

Nothing super fancy- 3 tiers, 2 flavors (red velvet and lemon) with a floral icing design trailing down the three levels.

Last edited:
Yes, american money - I'm getting married in Maryland!

Nothing super fancy- 3 tiers, 2 flavors (red velvet and lemon) with a floral icing design trailing down the three levels.

CurliDiva, have you already ordered it? I can PM you who I used if you are looking for a better price.

They have received the Brides Choice Award on Wedding Wire for the past 5 years in a row.

Ladies,

What's your stance on social media during your wedding?

Are you encouraging folks to use Social Media ex. tweets, hash-tagging, post likes, pinning, video phone, photo app, etc. during the ceremony or during the reception or both?

I read this on The Knot today:

"Be mindful of the photographer and videographer the couple has hired to take photos of their wedding, especially during the ceremony. A good rule of thumb is to stay seated during the ceremony (and no leaning into the aisle or raising your phone way over your head either). Standing up or moving around can be distracting to the officiant, get in the way of the pros and ruin the view for other guests. Our advice? If you must have that amazing shot of the bride’s entrance, get to the ceremony early and sit in an aisle seat to get great photos without having to pull acrobatic stunts."

I also read some that the couple want photos of their guests' faces, not a sea of camera phones being held up!

Last edited:
^^^ I'm thinking about having our officiant make an announcement before the ceremony starts asking everyone to stay seated and to let the professionals do their jobs. I don't think we will have a problem but it doesn't hurt to let everyone know. I went to a wedding last month and it was beyond embarrassing. The professional photographer was barely able to get her shots because so many people were standing in the aisle with their cellphones. The DJ had to ask them to sit down TWICE before they actually did. :nono:

I won't be encouraging any social media activity. I don't want any of that.

46 days to go.. i've done my seating plan and i now have a second dress which FH and I randomly came across when we were shopping for his shirt on Saturday - we went into the shop just to browse and the lady ushered me in to try it on and it literally fit like a glove, the dress is gorgeous! Next thing we knew FH had handed over £400/$700 and we were stood outside the shop like - how did that just happen, cos it was so not part of the plan for the day. The good thing is now I have an outfit that I can do the wedding dance in cos I don't know how I was gonna do those moves I rehearsed with the bridesmaids with the train on my actual wedding dress.

Ladies,

What's your stance on social media during your wedding?

Are you encouraging folks to use Social Media ex. tweets, hash-tagging, post likes, pinning, video phone, photo app, etc. during the ceremony or during the reception or both?

I read this on The Knot today:

"Be mindful of the photographer and videographer the couple has hired to take photos of their wedding, especially during the ceremony. A good rule of thumb is to stay seated during the ceremony (and no leaning into the aisle or raising your phone way over your head either). Standing up or moving around can be distracting to the officiant, get in the way of the pros and ruin the view for other guests. Our advice? If you must have that amazing shot of the bride’s entrance, get to the ceremony early and sit in an aisle seat to get great photos without having to pull acrobatic stunts."

I also read some that the couple want photos of their guests' faces, not a sea of camera phones being held up!

I have been seeing people tell guests they are having an "unplugged" ceremony. so no guests taking pics. I like this idea

Back