2012 Relaxed Hair Buddy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
KiWiStyle said:
baddison,
This Tropical Island Oil Strong Roots sound like THE BUSINESS!! I'm going on Amazon to add it to my wish list. Is it in beauty supply stores?

I get It from OuterBeautySupply.com ! Great Vendor....you will never be disappointed. And after your initial purchase, all purchases thereafter enjoy an automatic 5% discount.....

anybody doing any twistouts for the summer? how do you maintain them at night? how do you keep your ends from drying out? i am going to try this style and i want it to work in my favor. sometimes, i don't want to roller set my hair.

sunnieb said:
:yay:

Post pics!

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

I'm going to get a trim hopefully it don't look like I got a hair cut, scared.. but need it because my ends thin from the other lady I went to prior put relaxer on my ends smh. My hair grew out to armpit length hopefully I don't end up shoulder again and have a set back

@xu93texas,
You can never go wrong with hiding your hair. I've been going strong with my little single braid. It gets boring but it works because I only comb/detangle on wash days. Mid-week, I just take it down, apply MN mix, massage my scalp, M&S, finger comb back into place and braid. Maybe you should try implementing one thing at a time. I know for me, if I try adding too many things at one time, I get mentally exhausted. I'm also simplifying my vitamin regimen:

Multi - general health
Hair - the obvious
Iron - anemia
Biotin - lengthen my growth phase
Stress B-Complex - acne control from biotin / general health

Im eliminating MSM Supplements because I'm adding a pinch of sulfur powder to my MN mix. I'm also drinking a daily dose of my delicious strawberry protein shake which I add berries and ground flaxseed. Hopefully, I can eventually replace my morning cup of coffee with this. I can honestly say that my hair care regimen is almost solid.

I like ground flaxseed as well. I use it in my green smoothies. Your regimen is solid. I'm sure you'll be full APL in no time.

The only new thing I've added to my regimen within the last 30 days is the MN. I do that every night when I moisturize and seal. I mentioned being off my game because I missed some regular scheduled wash/co-wash days. I'm revamping my co-wash/wash day schedule to coincide with my new work schedule. :grin:

My reggie is pretty straight forward:
-pre-poo; wash/DC weekly; air dry
-pre-poo; co-wash mid-week; DC; air dry
-moisturize/seal nightly; apply MN mixture; plait hair into 4 plaits; tie up
-spray plaits every morning with Claudie's braid spray; put on wig only when I leave the house.
-daily vitamins (Nioxin, biotin, MSM, garlic) Nioxin is new to reggie
-drink lots of water
-eat plenty of veggies/fruits (I messed up last week, but I'm back on my game today)
-exercise (got off my game last week; will be back on it tomorrow)

irisak said:
Hi KaramelDiva1978! My hair has always had a natural ducktail too lol and it's also at apl. The rest of my strands are cbl and grazing apl. My ultimate length goal is mbl. I usually stretch ay least 12 weeks and either bun or use sewins for psing. I want to try a 12-16 week stretch this time. I use the ors for mild protein and if my hair begs for it I will aphogee 2 step after a wet strand test or if my hair stops accepting moisture. I use the aloe vera with the oils and just mix all in a bowl together and apply with an applicator brush.

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. any spelling errors should be blamed on auto-correct.

Hello irisak,
I want to stretch but I am sssooo SCARED! My newgrowth grow fists and fight back hard and rough at like 9 weeks....lol! Omg and its hurts to part! But since Ive been natural I may apply some of the conditioners I used to my newgrowth to soften it.

I may see where I am at 7 wks to see if I can push it. Starting to bun it after today Ive enjoyed my hair down but its time to protect it and wash out the remaining hair spray. I prepooed with Vatika oil yesterday....oooohhhhh Ive missed that stuff it is LUSH!!!

Do you use setting lotion? I need some for my daughter and I havent used it in years. I used to like Pantene's but I could tell they changed the formula because my hair hardened.

Needless to say super excited abt shampooing my hair for the first time as a relaxed head!

Are braid outs considered protective? My ends would touch my neck!

no, it's more of a low manipulation style. protective is when your ends are tucked away and are actually being somewhat protected. just because your ends might not touch your neck, they are still exposed.

xu93texas said:
I like ground flaxseed as well. I use it in my green smoothies. Your regimen is solid. I'm sure you'll be full APL in no time.

The only new thing I've added to my regimen within the last 30 days is the MN. I do that every night when I moisturize and seal. I mentioned being off my game because I missed some regular scheduled wash/co-wash days. I'm revamping my co-wash/wash day schedule to coincide with my new work schedule. :grin:

My reggie is pretty straight forward:
-pre-poo; wash/DC weekly; air dry
-pre-poo; co-wash mid-week; DC; air dry
-moisturize/seal nightly; apply MN mixture; plait hair into 4 plaits; tie up
-spray plaits every morning with Claudie's braid spray; put on wig only when I leave the house.
-daily vitamins (Nioxin, biotin, MSM, garlic) Nioxin is new to reggie
-drink lots of water
-eat plenty of veggies/fruits (I messed up last week, but I'm back on my game today)
-exercise (got off my game last week; will be back on it tomorrow)

xu93texas,
New work schedules can be quite an adjustment...it'll all fall into place soon. I love Nioxin! I think it contributed to my clearer complexion and my hair and nails length and health. I have to wait until the company releases the new formula so I can but it from Ulta, I use to order from Amazon but the cracks in the pills and the question about authenticity scared me away from them. Right now I'm taking GNC Ultra Nourish-Hair. I implemented these and the MN at the same time so unfortunately, I won't know how it's benefitting my hair. I had been taking garlic for a while as well but when this bottle is gone I'm going to add black tea rinses to my regimen and continue to use my alter ego garlic mask to fight excessive shedding. See I told you, my Reggie isn't solid yet. I think we're on the right track and if all goes well, I will be APL in August and you'll be SL! I'm still looking at December graduation...who knows.

KiWiStyle xu93texas Sorry for neglecting y'all.. life has been kicking my butt lately but I'm back! Hi baddison!

My hair is doing well, coming up on week 8, experimenting with air drying and co-washing again now that I'm concentrating on stretching. I still want to relax at week 12 but I'll stretch longer if it's no big deal and I still feel comfortable wearing my hair out. One thing I've discovered is that simple hand-smoothing in sections with a good moisturizer goes a long way to elongate and calm my hair down when it's feeling poofy. My lazy routine nowadays is to wash every 4-5 days, set two large twists into bantu knots, work with that for the next few days by sleeping in a high bun at night and smoothing it down with my hands with a moisturizer in the morning. Gives me a wet n wavy look.. But yea, the tangles/shed hair at the end of the week have to be dealt with carefully, thus...

I've trying more products lately to see what provides the most slip for detangling. My wash day rotation is getting kind of ridiculous; for example, last night I washed with a mix of Simply U sulfate free shampoo and Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree oil condish, semi-DC'd with a combo of Healthy Hydration and Silk Elements Wheat Germ condish, and did a final rinse with PM The Detangler (was pretty impressed with the slip, easy to forget the old school stuff). I'm still a Claudie's stan.. loving her tea spritz, Isha cream, and rejuvenating temple balm. My twist-outs/knot-outs have been lovely.

I've been exercising more and eating better so that's a plus..

xu93texas I see you're taking growth aids, are you seeing results?

KiWiStyle Your morning protein shake sounds good. I find that I eat better during the day when I eat a filling breakfast so I may try breakfast shakes.

Raspberry,

Life can be crazy sometimes. I know I feel like my head has been :drunk::drunk: this week.

I'll be 9 wks post on Thursday. I've seen an increase in ng since applying the MN. I've been using it since 5/19. I don't really know if the biotin or MSM really work that great. I've been taking them faithfully for a year. My hair has grown from an EL bob to grazing SL in 10 months (average growth). I'm trying different growth aids to help get me out of this awkward growth phase

@xu93texas,
New work schedules can be quite an adjustment...it'll all fall into place soon. I love Nioxin! I think it contributed to my clearer complexion and my hair and nails length and health. I have to wait until the company releases the new formula so I can but it from Ulta, I use to order from Amazon but the cracks in the pills and the question about authenticity scared me away from them. Right now I'm taking GNC Ultra Nourish-Hair. I implemented these and the MN at the same time so unfortunately, I won't know how it's benefitting my hair. I had been taking garlic for a while as well but when this bottle is gone I'm going to add black tea rinses to my regimen and continue to use my alter ego garlic mask to fight excessive shedding. See I told you, my Reggie isn't solid yet. I think we're on the right track and if all goes well, I will be APL in August and you'll be SL! I'm still looking at December graduation...who knows.

Yes, I'll be moving over to the APL challenge come August.

I'm sure you'll be APL in August. I was doing black tea rinses, but I stopped. I may do one next week.

TU scheduled for next week Ms. Tiki and Nix08. I'll be 11 weeks post. I plan to trim about 2 inches. I chicken out every time but think I will man up this visit. I want a uniformed hemline and trimming gradually is not getting it. Going forward, I will shorten my stretch to 8 weeks. I reviewed my journal and weeks 9-12 are touch and go but overall they are associated with breakage, tangling and frustration. In hindsight, I am doing more harm than good. I don't have flawless stretching skills so touching up sooner is lesser of the evils (for me) IMO.

divachyk See ya'll thought I was crazy when I said 8 weeks. My new growth was out of control. I managed to tame mine and I was trying to make it until this weekend.

I'm trying Mizani Normal for my next texlax mixed with oil. Someone on another board was giving it away and I've wanted to try it again but didn't want to pay the $22

I have a quick question. What are you supposed to do to prep your ng for a touch up cause I can't find the thread right now?

@Ms. Tiki, no chile, we didn't think you were crazy. I get way too breakage beyond 8 weeks. My stretching skills suck.

divachyk I can understand that. I'm tired of the fight that is going on over here. We can still be buddies we will just be one week apart unless I get lazy this weekend and push it out to next weekend. LOL

Just had a virgin relaxer applied last wk, and I adore the results. Being natural was nice, but became too much of a chore for me. I'd been relaxed nearly 18 yrs before going natchal anyway, so I'm actually relieved to put SSKs, matts, reversion, and shrinkage behind . Mizani Butter Blends Mild (lye) has become my holy grail. Touch-up to be done Nov. 4 (5 month stretch will be my usual thing). I will TU myself or have my future SIL who is licensed and skilled do it.

Last edited:
I have a quick question. What are you supposed to do to prep your ng for a touch up cause I can't find the thread right now?

nothing really. you can wash your hair 3-5 days to remove product buildup and a week before the touchup, do a light protein treatment. in order to protect your previous relaxed ends, you can put some oil on them, to help reduce the chance of overprocessing.

@KiWiStyle @xu93texas Sorry for neglecting y'all.. life has been kicking my butt lately but I'm back! Hi @baddison!

My hair is doing well, coming up on week 8, experimenting with air drying and co-washing again now that I'm concentrating on stretching. I still want to relax at week 12 but I'll stretch longer if it's no big deal and I still feel comfortable wearing my hair out. One thing I've discovered is that simple hand-smoothing in sections with a good moisturizer goes a long way to elongate and calm my hair down when it's feeling poofy. My lazy routine nowadays is to wash every 4-5 days, set two large twists into bantu knots, work with that for the next few days by sleeping in a high bun at night and smoothing it down with my hands with a moisturizer in the morning. Gives me a wet n wavy look.. But yea, the tangles/shed hair at the end of the week have to be dealt with carefully, thus...

I've trying more products lately to see what provides the most slip for detangling. My wash day rotation is getting kind of ridiculous; for example, last night I washed with a mix of Simply U sulfate free shampoo and Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree oil condish, semi-DC'd with a combo of Healthy Hydration and Silk Elements Wheat Germ condish, and did a final rinse with PM The Detangler (was pretty impressed with the slip, easy to forget the old school stuff). I'm still a Claudie's stan.. loving her tea spritz, Isha cream, and rejuvenating temple balm. My twist-outs/knot-outs have been lovely.

I've been exercising more and eating better so that's a plus..

@xu93texas I see you're taking growth aids, are you seeing results?

@KiWiStyle Your morning protein shake sounds good. I find that I eat better during the day when I eat a filling breakfast so I may try breakfast shakes.

Raspberry - your products sound delish!!! And the exercising/eating better really does make a difference - you'll see. Right now I'm taking Hairfinity vitamins as my growth aid. I am quite pleased with the results. I have put my self on a personal challenge of 1year with this growth aid, and I started in January 2012. So....heres to hoping that by that same time next year, I'll be waist lenght or something...:yep:

divachyk and Ms. Tiki I'm also done...I'm doing mine next week and I'm giddy:grin: I know I keep stretching hoping for a length shocker that never comes I'm thinking 10 weeks is about good for me (or less).

Loving @ GoddessMaker

i am 6 weeks currently and everything seems to be going alright. i tried a twistout the other day and it came out fine. i may alternate between a twistout and roller set. i have been detangling with my fingers first and then going behind it with a detangling comb. this seems to work really well.

GoddessMaker what will you do to help with your stretch until Sept? i know i couldn't go that long unless my hair was braided up or something!

Loving what week/day do you plan on relaxing again? i know you said you had 6 weeks left.

@divachyk and @Ms. Tiki I'm also done...I'm doing mine next week and I'm giddy:grin: I know I keep stretching hoping for a length shocker that never comes I'm thinking 10 weeks is about good for me (or less).

Nix08 and divachyk I'm noticing that my ends start tangling bad around week 8. I'm at the point of is stretching this long really worth it. I feel like I would've been right at WL if I would've stuck to my original 8 -10 week schedule. OK, peer pressure is a mother...plus, I'm feeling lazy and waiting on my new relaxer. I'm going to wait til next weekend. She's sending a normal so I guess I need to add more oil. I've only use the one for fine hair previously. What do you ladies think I should do with the Mizani BB normal? I want to keep with being texlaxed.

@Ms. Tiki I use Mizani BB normal. I find if I don't flat iron my hair before then I come out what I would call underprocessed (since I want to be straight) so if you add oil to it you'll very likely still come out texlaxed.

Yes I think if you have healthy hair and a healthy relaxer application process, then stretching isn't vital. I keep stretching though:perplexed: Every relaxer I have the conversation with someone about no longer stretching and sticking with 10 weeks.

ETA: I keep stretching to minimize the exposure to the chemicals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back