2012 Relaxed Hair Buddy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
xu93texas, Raspberry

Hey ladies, just checking in. I'm 8 weeks post today and half way there!! So far so good; Starting on Saturday, im going to start shampooing my hair in sections again to avoid tangles. I'm will clarify, protein reconstruct and moisture DC THEN apply MN, spray my NG with s-curl and massage. Last, I will M&S my length and rebraid.

What are your plans as we get deeper into our stretch?

Have you changed your regimen at all lately?

How is your newest protective style(s) working out?

Are your healthy eating, water intake and exercise games on point?

I've started two new things since my last check-in to my regimen, hopefully i'll continue to see growth and thickening. I'm now applying MN directly to my scalp twice a week and I changed my hair vitamin from Phyto (can't afford them) to GNC Ultra Nourish-Hair ($20 for 60 days supply). My water intake is great! I never thought I would be addicted to drinking water, I go NO WHERE without my water. I try to eat with a purpose now days and not just eating anything. Exercise...well, I'm working on it, lol.

@xu93texas, @Raspberry

Hey ladies, just checking in. I'm 8 weeks post today and half way there!! So far so good; Starting on Saturday, im going to start shampooing my hair in sections again to avoid tangles. I'm will clarify, protein reconstruct and moisture DC THEN apply MN, spray my NG with s-curl and massage. Last, I will M&S my length and rebraid.

I've started two new things since my last check-in to my regimen, hopefully i'll continue to see growth and thickening. I'm now applying MN directly to my scalp twice a week and I changed my hair vitamin from Phyto (can't afford them) to GNC Ultra Nourish-Hair ($20 for 60 days supply). My water intake is great! I never thought I would be addicted to drinking water, I go NO WHERE without my water. I try to eat with a purpose now days and not just eating anything. Exercise...well, I'm working on it, lol.

@xu93texas , @KiWiStyle, I am going to be 8weeks post tomorrow!!! Its truly great to have relaxer hair buddies!!

My regimen/lifestyle has not changed much at all.
- Still washing hair weekly in 4 or 5 braids
- weekly overnight hot oil treatment with Tropical Isle Strong Roots (JBCO with Red Pimento oil)
- DC with every single wash
- Overnight NUPUR henna the 2nd Friday night of each month
- Protective styling daily. (buns/braids/twists...but hair is always pinned up)
- I take Hairfinity religiously every single night before I go to sleep.
- workout 5days per week @ 4:30am (its the only time I have available!)
- drink water only (I dont drink juice or anything else all day/every day - just water!)

IF I think of anything else.....I'll be back :yep:

Last edited:
baddison,

I didn't know you were our buddy! Welcome to the group and from the looks of things I will definitely be paying close attention to your regimen. You are doing fantastic! Your hair looks very similar to mine when straightened, only your hair is a lot longer, lol. Also, I want to do a henna application really, really soon to help thicken my strands and make them more resilient AND many a clear rinse. I am going to get my henna from the website mentioned in the "Hair Care Rehab" book by Audrey Davis-Sivasothy.

I am currently 2yrs post ladies!!! Throwing in the towel on my natural hair journey. I have had fun with it but I am ready to really play with my APL length hair. I miss my rollersets and wraps!!! :-(

I went to the BSS to stock up on rollers and poos oils and conditioners I used during my relaxed days. Can I please join and get a relaxed hair buddy? Ready to get my grow on!!! Hheeeyyyy everybody!!!

KaramelDiva1978 said:
I am currently 2yrs post ladies!!! Throwing in the towel on my natural hair journey. I have had fun with it but I am ready to really play with my APL length hair. I miss my rollersets and wraps!!! :-(

I went to the BSS to stock up on rollers and poos oils and conditioners I used during my relaxed days. Can I please join and get a relaxed hair buddy? Ready to get my grow on!!! Hheeeyyyy everybody!!!

KaramelDiva1978 I'm 3 days post so we can be buddies if you'd like. My current reggie is pretty simple. I cowash daily with Aussie moist, then moisturize and seal 1x per day. I wet bun at night and baggie. I wash 1 time per week after pre pooing with coconut oil and aloe vera and dc with ors replenishing over night.

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. any spelling errors should be blamed on auto-correct.

Last edited:
Quick thanks to mn I may need to end my stretch earlier than expected.... I just can't with all this NG!! I flatironed earlier and I couldn't get my root straight at all .... Twenty minutes later I look like a blowed out poodle geez. I'm going to wait a week then relaxed, who knows maybe by next week I'll have a change of heart

Africa's best ultimate herbal oil is the best moisturizing oil I ever had in my hair and I finally looked at the ingredients yesterday: soybean oil, castor oil, olive oil, sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, sesame oil, carrot oil, walnut oil, safflower oil

Last edited:
I know this topic is taboo- but I am convinced of scab hair. The past few years I thought I had texture changes but no - I really think its scab hair. About 7 yrs ago I got a touch up with a no lye relaxer and after that particular relaxer my new growth grew in much coarser. Consequently I went fr relaxing every 16 wks to every 8 and using a no lye. Fast forward - since last summer I started stretching bk to every 16 wks and my hair texture started to become less coarse in certain areas. I also notice if my relaxer is too strong and gets my hair bone straight the new growth coming in is coarse, kinky and dry.
With that said - I got a touch up 7 wks ago and the relaxer got my hair way too straight and the hair growing in is a lot coarser in certain areas. After reading about scab hair I really do feel there's major truth to it. Constant relaxing does affect the scalp and hair texture overtime. I see this alone fr many naturals - about 1 yr or so after being natural their hair looks different fr around the first time they big chopped. And those I see with beautiful relaxed heads do not relax often and they will texlax - which will minimize relaxer damage to the scalp and strands. I am not bashing relaxing - bc I will prob be relaxing for a little while longer lol, but I need to be mindful of what relaxer goes on my scalp and it would help if the stylist could cut it with conditioner or oil.

I still don't have a relaxed hair buddy idk how many weeks post I am but I lasted a while and relaxing next week anyone wanna be my buddy???

Yep I cant to see my growth!! I'm a first time stretcher and I started late so idk how many weeks post I am. A guestimate (can't spell lol) would be 8 to 10 weeks.

No breakage, nice soft roots im doin good... I feel I can go longer but I wanna know how long I stretched. Ima keep track this time around.

@xu93texas , @KiWiStyle, I am going to be 8weeks post tomorrow!!! Its truly great to have relaxer hair buddies!!

My regimen/lifestyle has not changed much at all.
- Still washing hair weekly in 4 or 5 braids
- weekly overnight hot oil treatment with Tropical Isle Strong Roots (JBCO with Red Pimento oil)
- DC with every single wash
- Overnight NUPUR henna the 2nd Friday night of each month
- Protective styling daily. (buns/braids/twists...but hair is always pinned up)
- I take Hairfinity religiously every single night before I go to sleep.
- workout 5days per week @ 4:30am (its the only time I have available!)
- drink water only (I dont drink juice or anything else all day/every day - just water!)

IF I think of anything else.....I'll be back :yep:

@baddison,
You're on it lady! Dang I need to be working out with you at 4:30am!
It's been great having relaxer buddies. I feel like I can stretch longer with each stretch b/c of my buddies.:grin:

I like your simple regimen. I've been wanting to try the Tropical Isles Strong Roots Pimento oil. Have you noticed a difference since using? Any side effects?

What do you wash/DC with?

Last edited:
@xu93texas, @Raspberry

Your new regimen looks great. Honestly, I've been off my hair game this week since I went back to work. I fell off my diet/exercise regimen as well. I'm working on getting back on track with everything. :grin: I need to revamp my regimen and I need to seriously hide my hair until I get adjusted to my new work schedule. I'll be getting beehive cornrows to wear under my wigs. This will keep my hands out of my head for a few weeks.

@KaramelDiva1978 I'm 3 days post so we can be buddies if you'd like. My current reggie is pretty simple. I cowash daily with Aussie moist, then moisturize and seal 1x per day. I wet bun at night and baggie. I wash 1 time per week after pre pooing with coconut oil and aloe vera and dc with ors replenishing over night.

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. any spelling errors should be blamed on auto-correct.

Hi irisak!!
That sounds great to me after my relaxer and trim my hair is kinda layered and I have a "ducktail" that's kinda grazing APL. All of my pics are on my phone, but I will have to post them from the LHCF link on my Android. I am so in love with being relaxed right now!!

As for a regimen, I'm trying to remember the "tried and true" techniques I was doing before I cut my hair into a pixie do in the summer of 2009 and then started going natural in January 2010. So it's been about 3 or 4 yrs since I had a regimen that accomplished hair growth and health.

Since I am relaxed and color-treated I know that I need a firm addition of protein so I bought Aphogee Shampoo and 2 min reconstructor to do every other week. I will do a deep conditioning treatment weekly and since I work out, I may co-wash and bun once or twice a week. I want to keep it simple and not product overload.

I used to have good results with CON shampoo and conditioner, but I can no longer find the original green label poo and I'm leary about the new stuff.

Well this is a mouth full :lol:, but nice to have a buddy!!! Tell me how long you stretch your relaxers? And how long is your hair? What's your ultimate hair length goal? What type of protein do you use? Just the ORS replenishing conditioner? Do you use the Aloe Vera juice or gel in your hair?

I have some Aloe Vera Juice in my refrige that I used to use in a deep conditioning concoction, I may have to revisit that or try it in a leave in when I roller set.

Talk to you soon!

KaramelDiva1978 said:
Hi irisak!!
That sounds great to me after my relaxer and trim my hair is kinda layered and I have a "ducktail" that's kinda grazing APL. All of my pics are on my phone, but I will have to post them from the LHCF link on my Android. I am so in love with being relaxed right now!!

As for a regimen, I'm trying to remember the "tried and true" techniques I was doing before I cut my hair into a pixie do in the summer of 2009 and then started going natural in January 2010. So it's been about 3 or 4 yrs since I had a regimen that accomplished hair growth and health.

Since I am relaxed and color-treated I know that I need a firm addition of protein so I bought Aphogee Shampoo and 2 min reconstructor to do every other week. I will do a deep conditioning treatment weekly and since I work out, I may co-wash and bun once or twice a week. I want to keep it simple and not product overload.

I used to have good results with CON shampoo and conditioner, but I can no longer find the original green label poo and I'm leary about the new stuff.

Well this is a mouth full :lol:, but nice to have a buddy!!! Tell me how long you stretch your relaxers? And how long is your hair? What's your ultimate hair length goal? What type of protein do you use? Just the ORS replenishing conditioner? Do you use the Aloe Vera juice or gel in your hair?

I have some Aloe Vera Juice in my refrige that I used to use in a deep conditioning concoction, I may have to revisit that or try it in a leave in when I roller set.

Talk to you soon!

Hi KaramelDiva1978! My hair has always had a natural ducktail too lol and it's also at apl. The rest of my strands are cbl and grazing apl. My ultimate length goal is mbl. I usually stretch ay least 12 weeks and either bun or use sewins for psing. I want to try a 12-16 week stretch this time. I use the ors for mild protein and if my hair begs for it I will aphogee 2 step after a wet strand test or if my hair stops accepting moisture. I use the aloe vera with the oils and just mix all in a bowl together and apply with an applicator brush.

@baddison,
You're on it lady! Dang I need to be working out with you at 4:30am!
It's been great having relaxer buddies. I feel like I can stretch longer with each stretch b/c of my buddies.:grin:

I like your simple regimen. I've been wanting to try the Tropical Isles Strong Roots Pimento oil. Have you noticed a difference since using? Any side effects?

What do you wash/DC with?

Yeah....I've learned the hard way that if the regimen is not SIMPLE, then chances are I wont stick with it. Because of the monthly henna, I find that I hardly need any protein. So I alternate my wash and DC one week with KeraCare Hydrating/Detangling shampoo and KeraCare Humecto Creme condish (thicker on in the tub.) ....and the other week I wash and DC with Mizani Moisturefusion Milk Bath, and Mizani Moisturefusion Silk Creme Conditioner. These are both awesome product for my relaxed tresses.

The Tropical Oil Strong roots is some great stuff. Its castor oil on steroids with the pimento oil added. My new growth is soft, strong, and plentiful. Between Strong Roots and Hairfinity (vitamins)...I do believe I'll reach my BSL goal sooner rather than later!!

So, I just relaxed yesterday and I am wondering how long I should stretch this time. I did 10 weeks this past time. The longest I have gone was 3 months, with breakage, but I was not taking care of my hair then.

Today is wash day and i'm thinking of doing a hard protein treatment. I'm currently 8 wks post relaxer and my NG is popping, but i'll wait another 4 or 8 wks before my touch up.

baddison said:
Yeah....I've learned the hard way that if the regimen is not SIMPLE, then chances are I wont stick with it. Because of the monthly henna, I find that I hardly need any protein. So I alternate my wash and DC one week with KeraCare Hydrating/Detangling shampoo and KeraCare Humecto Creme condish (thicker on in the tub.) ....and the other week I wash and DC with Mizani Moisturefusion Milk Bath, and Mizani Moisturefusion Silk Creme Conditioner. These are both awesome product for my relaxed tresses.

The Tropical Oil Strong roots is some great stuff. Its castor oil on steroids with the pimento oil added. My new growth is soft, strong, and plentiful. Between Strong Roots and Hairfinity (vitamins)...I do believe I'll reach my BSL goal sooner rather than later!!

baddison,
This Tropical Island Oil Strong Roots sound like THE BUSINESS!! I'm going on Amazon to add it to my wish list. Is it in beauty supply stores?

xu93texas said:
Your new regimen looks great. Honestly, I've been off my hair game this week since I went back to work. I fell off my diet/exercise regimen as well. I'm working on getting back on track with everything. :grin: I need to revamp my regimen and I need to seriously hide my hair until I get adjusted to my new work schedule. I'll be getting beehive cornrows to wear under my wigs. This will keep my hands out of my head for a few weeks.

xu93texas,
You can never go wrong with hiding your hair. I've been going strong with my little single braid. It gets boring but it works because I only comb/detangle on wash days. Mid-week, I just take it down, apply MN mix, massage my scalp, M&S, finger comb back into place and braid. Maybe you should try implementing one thing at a time. I know for me, if I try adding too many things at one time, I get mentally exhausted. I'm also simplifying my vitamin regimen:

Multi - general health
Hair - the obvious
Iron - anemia
Biotin - lengthen my growth phase
Stress B-Complex - acne control from biotin / general health

Im eliminating MSM Supplements because I'm adding a pinch of sulfur powder to my MN mix. I'm also drinking a daily dose of my delicious strawberry protein shake which I add berries and ground flaxseed. Hopefully, I can eventually replace my morning cup of coffee with this. I can honestly say that my hair care regimen is almost solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back