2012 Ayurvedic Challenge

how did this turn? did you mix kalpitone and bhringraj with water first ? i've always read that dried powders/leaves need to be pre-mixed with hot water for properties to get released.

Krystle~Hime Sorry I just saw this. I made a paste with the kalpitone and the bhringraj using hot water. Then I mixed it with the conditioner.

I use it in shampoo. 2tbs workes fine, and the shampoo kills most of the smell...but not all. It keeps the scalp healthy, prevents dandruff, and kills all the scalp itchies. Thankfully you can't smell it after you condition!

I was thinking about adding it to my co-washes. Do I need to make a paste using hot water first. Or can I just add it to the conditioner and let it sit for a few days. Then use it.

Did the double tea method

1st tea: shikakai, amla, neem
2nd tea: bhringja, bhrami, fenugreek

oiled my hair with coconut and amla oil before (aVG on the scalp) before
used almond oil afterwards

Sitting here with Nupur Henna in my hair mixed with a Burdock, Horsetail, and Nettle tea. I added Brahmi oil and bhringraij oil to the mix. I'm going to leave it in overnight b/c I'm too tired to rinse it out.

Krystle~Hime Its the beginning of a beautiful relationship. My hair likes it. It doesn't seem to shed so much. I do it with my hair in celie braids. My hair is softer and more manageable afterwards.

ladysaraii said:
Did the double tea method

1st tea: shikakai, amla, neem
2nd tea: bhringja, bhrami, fenugreek

oiled my hair with coconut and amla oil before (aVG on the scalp) before
used almond oil afterwards

I would love to hear of your experiences using the almond oil

Last edited:
baggied with my tea mix yesterday! (makka, brami, amla, fenugreek, horsetail, nettle, hibiscus, aloe vera juice and SAA, ph 4.5) hair feel so soft!!!!

So I made a brahmi based gloss with a mix of VAiN Deep Moisture Repair conditioner and VAiN Protein Conditioner. I really like the results thus far. My hair feel a bit stronger and there is less shedding. Added amla powder and more oils to the mixture today. Let's see how this works. My plan is to test this out over the next few months to see if I notice less breakage and thicker hair.

So I made a brahmi based gloss with a mix of VAiN Deep Moisture Repair conditioner and VAiN Protein Conditioner. I really like the results thus far. My hair feel a bit stronger and there is less shedding. Added amla powder and more oils to the mixture today. Let's see how this works. My plan is to test this out over the next few months to see if I notice less breakage and thicker hair.

Keep us posted. Sounds good.

Hello ladies. I have learned so much here. I just started to use bhringaraj/peppermint/ lavendar oil on my scalp for my alopecia. Which has improved before this with iron supplements. I am relaxed. Can I used the tea spritz as a leave in for roller sets and twist/braid outs? I am so greatful to you ladies. Can I do both? Mix powders in my cowash and spritz with tea?

@mssconfused What us VAiN? Is that a brand or something homemade?

In braids for a few weeks. I need to try to figure out how I'm going to make a spritz.:ohwell: I noticed that before I got my hair braided, my hair is getting stronger and thicker from the Ayurvedic cowashes.:yep:

Last edited:
I used hibiscus oil on my scalp last night. I've been slacking off on my Ayurvedic challenge, but trying to get back on the wagon...

I am doing a Henna gloss. I will rinse it out in 15 mins, do a Hibiscus-marshmallow rinse, and baggy all night. Tomorrow I am doing medium twists.

I relaxed today after 17 weeks! I miss my new growth already, but I digress. How long should I wait to get back on my Ayurvedic grind?

Most ladies on here say henna and other pastes act like protein treatments which is good after a relaxer right?

What about a rinse? How long should I wait? TIA

Seamonster,
the henna gloss is not as messy as doing a regular henna. It is also a lot easier to rinse out. I think that it's less strengthening than using only henna, but I would like to use henna weekly, so mixing it with conditioner gives the perfect balance. I was coming on here to tell about my results lol... I just spritzed my hair with more Hibiscus Marshmallow tea, and added KCKT, there was no little broken hair on the bottle or my hands so the gloss is doing a pretty good job. You should try it out!

Would love to join this challenge. I am new to ayurvedic recipes but after researching I just now ordered powders of bhringraj, brahmi, alma, shikakai, and fenugreek and also neem oil. I am currently almost 4 inches of natural hair and I am hoping for thicker, healthier hair followed by length retention. I will try making a paste soon as my powders come and will use every other week. I hope to find some great recipes on here! :yep:

I did an overnite prepoo with my homemade ayurvedic oil and applied AOGPB to my ends. Then I washed with my Chagrin Valley ayurvedic poo bar, ACV rinse, and DC and my hair feels great :grin:!

Doing an overnight ayurvedic paste: maka and fenugreek powders; coconut, neem, tea tree oils; and Suave Humectant conditioner.

Are any of you ladies colored a light brown or lighter and use these powders in a paste? Does it change the color of your hair? When I say powders I mean hibiscus, maka, alma, or kalipitone

Did my first paste overnight which included amla, brahmi, shikakai, and fenugreek. Mixed in a bit of conditioner for a creamier texture. Had no problem washing it out but I didn't like sleeping with it in my hair. It did leave my hair soft and squeaky clean. Does anyone use a steamer with a paste in??

I'm sitting here right now with henna, alma, hibiscus and haritaki powder in my hair, I'm gonna leave it in for 2 hours and then report back with the results

I did a neem paste. Neem always does my hair right that stuff is like magic for my hair. It is just the right protein strength for my hair. I put a bit of bhami in there for conditioning, but if I just bought one paste, it would probably be neem. Maka runs a close second. After the neem paste, which of course had onion juice in it, I washed with whip my hair, then put anoop and MT on my scalp. DC with SD mocha, Oyin hair dew to detangle, sealed with Dabur amla oil. Styled with Moroccan oil gel, and SD mocha butter for my ends. My hair feels perfect.

I have better detanglers that oyin hair dew, but it is a great leave in moisturizer, and the scent compliments the SD mocha.

Back