2012 Ayurvedic Challenge

babylone09 said:
lovestarr I see in your avi you have dyed your hair a light color. Is it still that color? If so when you do your paste do you see a difference in your color?

Hi! This is actually a really old avi that I was going to update this weekend. I only had my hair colored like this when it was a short fade. My hair now is in its natural color and I did my first henna not too long ago.

Maybe you can search the Internet or YouTube for ayurvedic treatments on colored hair. I know some of the powders are strong cleansing agents and I think you might want to found out if it will strip the color before trying it out. Or you can try diluting it with conditioner and oils like a lot of ladies do on here.

I did a tea rinse with shikakai, amla, and neem

I didnt have time to do a second tea, so I just dc'd, then used my leave in conditioner and sealed with almond oil

I did notice that when I did my overnight coconut oil prepoo, it seemed to make the tangles fall out of my hair

GIJane said:
I was thinking about adding it to my co-washes. Do I need to make a paste using hot water first. Or can I just add it to the conditioner and let it sit for a few days. Then use it.

I use the oil when I add it to my shampoo. You can add the powder to the shampoo as well, but you'll also have to add a preservative to keep it fresh. Neem powder goes bad quickly without it. Trial and error knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Did a DC for 4 hours yesterday with brahmi, amla, fenugreek, and maka mixed with condish and evco. Baggy'd last night with hairveda vatika frosting. When I cowashed this morning I noticed my shedding is still reducing and the hairs that I did shed were thick and strong...I am so excited!!!! I also made my first Ayurvedic tea with the same powders. I let it steep overnight in a knee high. I used it as a spritz since I used the rest of my black tea rinse this morning. Moisturized with Carol's Daughter Healthy hair butter (trying to finish this product) and seled with evco. Ayurvedic treatments are my new love!!!

NowIAmNappy said:
I'm sitting here right now with henna, alma, hibiscus and haritaki powder in my hair, I'm gonna leave it in for 2 hours and then report back with the results

So lemme say y'all my hair feels amazing, I have no shedding or breakage. My hair feel strong and looks so shiny and healthy. I went back to the Indian store and bought some Aritha, Shikaki and alma powders, I can't wait for my next wash day

Did a spritz this morning of fenugreek, amla, brahmi, and maka. Did not rinse out...sealed with EVCO. Tomorrow is DC day and I am going to try these same powders mixed with AOHSR and EVOO and let sit for 2 hours

Prepoo'd with EVCO. Left in same tea rinse since last rinse but this time DC'd on top of rinse with a mix of AOHSR, EVCO, EVOO, and powders of brahmi and maka. Loved they way my strands felt! Did a final black tea rinse before moisturizing and sealing.

Scalp massage with pure amla oil right now. Tomorrow is wash and dc day and I am going to try the double rinse method or just use my shikakai poo bar sample. I just got my hibiscus powder so I am excited to try this with my tea rinse. Stalking thread for new recipes!

growinghealthyhair said:
What is the best way to make a tea rinse? With a coffee maker?

There are a few different ways that I have read about on this site. The way I did it which was fairly easy was put the powders in 2 knee highs and steeped it in hot water as if I were making regular tea. I then let cool and put in a spray bottle. No grains left in or anything. This is the method I will use because it works best for me.

Krystle~Hime said:
if you have one yes in a coffee maker. I just heat water until boiling than I pour it on my indian powders (in a bowl).

Thanks a lot! I just bought one for ten bucks! I'm going to make some tea tonight!

Krystle~Hime said:
they also sell a 10/15$ coffee maker, please tell me if a so cheap coffee maker is still effective.

So do I just put it in the coffee filter and make coffee? Can all herbs be used? I have neem bramhi hibiscus amla , methi

Krystle~Hime

There are a few different ways that I have read about on this site. The way I did it which was fairly easy was put the powders in 2 knee highs and steeped it in hot water as if I were making regular tea. I then let cool and put in a spray bottle. No grains left in or anything. This is the method I will use because it works best for me.

I never thought of this. I just really didn't want to have any grains. But the coffee maker was only 9.94 and it worked perfectly. Only thing is i made too much. Other than that, this is great!

I never thought of this. I just really didn't want to have any grains. But the coffee maker was only 9.94 and it worked perfectly. Only thing is i made too much. Other than that, this is great!

I haven't tried the coffee maker method yet. But I do have a cheap old coffee maker for when my mom comes over so I will try that my next tea batch.

Yesterday did a tea rinse of fenugreek, brahmi, and maka. Left in for 30 minutes then cowashed. Overnight baggy with vatika frosting. Today is DC day and I will be trying hibiscus powder for the first time. I am thinking of mixing it with brahmi and maka to make a creamy paste with conditioner. Hope it turns out well.

Did a DC yesterday after overnight prepoo with vatika frosting. Made a paste of hibiscus, maka, and brahmi mixed with avg, hot six oils, raw honey, and Shea moisture hair mask. Left this on for 2.5 hours. My hair was super soft!!

I did my 2nd henna treatment this weekend and my hair came out great :grin:! This weeks curlformers set was the best so far! I also finally ordered the vatika frosting from Hairveda and so far I love this stuff :lick:.

lovestarr said:
I haven't tried the coffee maker method yet. But I do have a cheap old coffee maker for when my mom comes over so I will try that my next tea batch.

Yesterday did a tea rinse of fenugreek, brahmi, and maka. Left in for 30 minutes then cowashed. Overnight baggy with vatika frosting. Today is DC day and I will be trying hibiscus powder for the first time. I am thinking of mixing it with brahmi and maka to make a creamy paste with conditioner. Hope it turns out well.

You should try it. It's amazing. And for socheap.

Did a ayur tea rinse today and left it in then put a DC mix of tresemme naturals, avg, evoo, 2 tbs fenugreek powder and 1 tbs amla powder. Left this in with conditioning cap for one hour. Did a final rinse with black tea. I love the way my hair felt and how easy it was to detangle when I applied my shea moisture leave-in to twist. The only thing is I don't like the grains of fenugreek powder left in my hair even tho I rinsed several times. I think I'm just gonna use fenugreek in my tea rinses from now on.

So I washed Sunday with Aritha, Shikaki and Amla. Let's just say Aritha has a very distinct pungent odor.. whew I had to add more amla and some shea moisture conditioner to mask it. But the affects lemme say are pretty amazing, my scalp felt very clean and my hair was extremely soft.

Did my double tea with bhringjai, shikakai, amla and a bhrami, fenugreek, neem rose petal paste under my dc.

If I can figure out a good method, I might start doing teas more often. We'll see I m thinking of braiding up my hair for a while.

Last night I washed my hair using amla, shikakai and hibiscus powder, I used a lil soy wheat conditioner and my shea moisture and added a teaspoon of safflower oil to the mix and left on for about 1 1/2 hours and then rinsed.

I sat with my almond oil and safflower oil detangled afterwards in front of the tv and trimmed my hair again, I'm trying to even up some layers. My hair feels so rich and healthy today.

Sitting now with a DC mixture of DPR 11, honey, olive oil, brahmi and hibiscus powders. Applied this after a vatika frosting prepoo. Getting highlights put in on Wed and also getting my TWA tapered for a fun summery look since I am bored with the length of my hair. I read that ayurvedic treatments are also safe for color treated hair but I will try reduce the amount I put in my teas and DCs to prevent stripping or darkening of my highlights

Instead of tapering my TWA, I uuhhh BC'd again :yep:. I wasn't really happy with the overall condition of my hair and I decided if I started from scratch again I can really see and reap the benefits of ayur treatments. So I massaged some evco and evoo on my bald head then did a paste of neem powder and alma powder on my scalp and left on for an hour. I will be using this paste once a week til more hair grows since these powders work best for the scalp. I can say my scalp feels clean and cool with nomore itchies! :yay:

lovestarr for how long have you been using the nylon tights for doing your infusion? i'm interesting, and for how long do you infuse your "nylon tights'bag lol does the nylon gets destroyed by the heat with time ?

Did my my beloved henna yesterday with some hibiscus powder and a little Nupur. I love the way my hairs feels. I can't wait to see what color the Hibiscus powder adds.

Back