2012 Ayurvedic Challenge

hi! what results are you getting? do you think your hair is any thicker or longer? I just started using almost all the herbs you mentioned(I don't have maka or hibiscus) so I would love to hear how its working out...also what proportions of the powders do you use?thanks!
My hair is very soft like butter!!!!! yes my hair is getting thicker and stronger, last week after being in jumbo twist for a week, i was gathering my hair up for a bun and was really surprise with the density, it seems like my strands are getting bigger! i took a photo at he beginning of the challenge and will compare after 6 months!

I made some neem oil last week. I need to take it out of the slow cooker and put it up for a couple of weeks. It's time to take out my Amla oil I made a few weeks ago. I want to add it to my prepoo tonight or tomorrow

Last night I pre-pooed with Red Pimento oil, aloe vera and a cheapie light protein condish.
This morning I clarified, and did a tea rinse. I made some black tea earlier this week, added peppermint eo, lavender eo. I added some kapur kachri and amla powders to the tea and let it sit for about 20 minutes. I strained it a few times then poured over my head. I blot dried with a towel then dc'd with Silicon Mix with honey and grape seed oil. I had stuff to do so I threw on a plastic cap for a few hours. I rinsed, applied HH, rinsed. ACV rinsed then roller set. I should have taken a picture. Sorry! It's already up in the eternal bun. My hair feels amazing, and the shine is fantastic. I am 14 weeks post.

I did my first henna treatment yesterday and I absolutely loved the results :grin:! My hair color looks normal in regular light but when the sun hits my strands it has brownish red highlights. I also noticed that it stopped my shedding and breakage in its tracks :yep:. My shedding was cut in half this time around after detangling. I've been using other ayurvedic powders, teas, & poo bars, but none of them stopped my shedding & breakage like the henna treatment did! I did not experience loosening of my curl pattern nor did I experience hard hair. I am very pleased with my results and I am now officially a henna head :yep: :grin:!

I pre-poo'd with AVJ, castor oil, and brahmi oil. Washed my hair with ayurvedic poo-bar. Then dc with NTM mixed w/ kalpi tone and bhringaj (sp?). Then washed out the dc w/ aussie moist.

Hennaed on Thursday. Scary bright orange formerly known as evils grays appeared on Friday. Indigoed overnight last night. Cowshed with clarifying conditioner this morning, followed up with HSR with honey, grape seed oil and castor DC without heat for two hours. No more scary orange hair. Hair felt moist and supple. Applied leave ins, and now I am typing from under my Pibbs. Oh and I doing my best to tame 15 weeks of new growth.

Last night I pre-pooed with Red Pimento and AVG (Aloe Vera Gel), applied amla/kapur kachri paste mixed with raw honey. DC'd with Govanni Deeper Moisture, Silicon Mix with Bamboo, Grape Seed and Tea Tree oils. Cool rinse with PC and HH. Applied Silicon Mix Bamboo with Lacio Lacio. Roller set and sat under my Pibbs for 40 mins. Beautiful soft, shiny hair with reddish "highlights". Said "highlights" were previously gray, then became orange then reddish brown with several henna treatments, then coppery with indigo and now reddish with amla+kapur kachri! I am happy!

Last edited:
okay girls, it's been two weeks that i've been doing tea rinses, it was 3 rinses by week, so 6times i've baggied with the tea on my hair and never rinsed it.
my hair is so strong, thick & has a natural shine... i'm always saying to wait 2-3 months for doing a full review based on consistent use, but the strands are stronger and hair is more dense, so much that I was surprised.
I belive that if 6 applications in 2 weeks(tea rinses 3X a week) = 6 applications(paste mask bi-monthly) in 3 months it may explain why i'm surprised to see resultats so fast, because the first time i've seen resutlats with indian powders was after 3 months of bi-monthly uses.

it motivates me to be more consistent.

ETA : did a cassia/brahmi/amla/maka mixed with 2 big spoons of molasses and water/aloe vera juice. now i have to use 4 tablespoons of each powder for my whole head, i like these little signs that means my hair is so thriving that I need more and more products.:rolleyes:

I pre-poo'd with AVJ, castor oil, and brahmi oil. Washed my hair with ayurvedic poo-bar. Then dc with NTM mixed w/ kalpi tone and bhringaj (sp?). Then washed out the dc w/ aussie moist.
how did this turn? did you mix kalpitone and bhringraj with water first ? i've always read that dried powders/leaves need to be pre-mixed with hot water for properties to get released.

I've been using my Bee Mine ayurveda bar. Last Sunday, I shampooed and used Hairveda's protein system. Also pre-pooed with coconut oil, which I think I will keep. I may start adding AvG for my scalp

Krystle~Hime

How are you doing the tea rinses? And are you using the same mix for each rinse?

I think I want to start using my powders again. I usually don tlike fooling with my hair too much, but I wonder if doing rinses twice a week would be beneficial

I've been unofficially wanting to join since I've been using Ayurvedic powders this past month. Last week I did a henna treatment then deep conditioned with Amla and Orange powders and my hair was feeling lovely. I have to hit up my indian grocery story today because I want to get some bhringraj, brahmi, and amla powders for my deep conditioner this weekend.

BTW I saw almond oil in the grocery, does anyone use it and what are the benefits of it?

Last edited:
I've been unofficially wanting to join since I've been using Ayurvedic powders this past month. Last week I did a henna treatment then deep conditioned with Amla and Orange powders and my hair was feeling lovely. I have to hit up my indian grocery story today because I want to get some bhringraj, brahmi, and amla powders for my deep conditioner this weekend.

BTW I saw almond oil in the grocery, does anyone use it and what are the benefits of it?

I finally got some almond oil from the indian store when I was visiting my folks. I havent been consistent and I need to try it out.

This girl is the first I've heard talk about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cODPEPENdLc&list=UUpbnSmsoOMbEyiBVgypT3jg&index=19&feature=plcp

it's towards the end

okay girls, it's been two weeks that i've been doing tea rinses, it was 3 rinses by week, so 6times i've baggied with the tea on my hair and never rinsed it.
my hair is so strong, thick & has a natural shine... i'm always saying to wait 2-3 months for doing a full review based on consistent use, but the strands are stronger and hair is more dense, so much that I was surprised.
I belive that if 6 applications in 2 weeks(tea rinses 3X a week) = 6 applications(paste mask bi-monthly) in 3 months it may explain why i'm surprised to see resultats so fast, because the first time i've seen resutlats with indian powders was after 3 months of bi-monthly uses.

it motivates me to be more consistent.

ETA : did a cassia/brahmi/amla/maka mixed with 2 big spoons of molasses and water/aloe vera juice. now i have to use 4 tablespoons of each powder for my whole head, i like these little signs that means my hair is so thriving that I need more and more products.:rolleyes:

Thanks for your great input Krystle~Hime, i think i will steal the idea of baggying with the tea because i have been using lots of paste lately and it becoming expensive to do it on a weely basis!
i will go for the baggy 3 times a week and paste once every fortnight!
now off to make my tea:lick:

Last edited:
I've been using the brami oil and the bhringhaj (misspelled probably) oil and aloe vera as my pre-poo for about 4 weeks and using the whole Aphogee line (except shampoo-using Sally's The One) and my hair is feeling great!!! Don't know why I strayed from my Indian oils when I know my hair loves them. I've used Vatika oil forever. Luckily I have a store right down the street!

@MrsJaiDiva Neem cleans the scalp, is that correct? How are you using the neem? Are you mixing it with anything else?

I use it in shampoo. 2tbs workes fine, and the shampoo kills most of the smell...but not all. It keeps the scalp healthy, prevents dandruff, and kills all the scalp itchies. Thankfully you can't smell it after you condition!

ladysaraii i prepare them like if i was doing a tea for drinking.. and yes I always do the same mix but this, it's up to you.
about if it can be beneficial or not, i've just written a review in which way it was awesome for my hair.

NowIAmNappy what I know about almond oil is thats a nice emollient who softens hair a lot and that it can help with dandruff.
please yes! purchase amla, brahmi and makabhringraj ! you won't regret it :yep:

Thanks for your great input Krystle~Hime, i think i will steal the idea of baggying with the tea because i have been using lots of paste lately and it becoming expensive to do it on a weely basis!
i will go for the baggy 3 times a week and paste once every fortnight!
now off to make my tea
:lick:
g.lo g.lo
we will have the exactly same routine so :rolleyes:

Seamonster what's anoop ?

Back