2010 Sulfur Challenge

Thanks, although I'm still slightly confuzzled... :spinning: :lol:

Just think of it like this, MSM or methylsulfonylmethane is a white, odorless sulfur that is taken internally. Usually in capsules or in powder form mixed in liquid. Yes it can be mixed with oil to be used topically but it won't dissolve. I have seen a recipe on here that calls from dissolving it in a small amout of boiling water first then mixing it in cond.

Sublimed Sulfur or Flowers of Sulfur is the yellow sulfur. It is a pharmaceutical sulfur used in prescription compounding skin preparations.
This form is for topical use only. While the MSM is odorless the sublimed has a slight odor and turns silver jewelry black. It dissolves somewhat in oil, but it still settles to the bottom and must be mixed with each use also.

Just think of it like this, MSM or methylsulfonylmethane is a white, odorless sulfur that is taken internally. Usually in capsules or in powder form mixed in liquid. Yes it can be mixed with oil to be used topically but it won't dissolve. I have seen a recipe on here that calls from dissolving it in a small amout of boiling water first then mixing it in cond.

Sublimed Sulfur or Flowers of Sulfur is the yellow sulfur. It is a pharmaceutical sulfur used in prescription compounding skin preparations.
This form is for topical use only. While the MSM is odorless the sublimed has a slight odor and turns silver jewelry black. It dissolves somewhat in oil, but it still settles to the bottom and must be mixed with each use also.
Flowinlocks, what about liquid MSM? I don't take it orally but was I have been mixing with oils/leave ins.

Flowinlocks, what about liquid MSM? I don't take it orally but was I have been mixing with oils/leave ins.

:blush: Thanks Itown!! I didn't know there was such a thing. See that's why I love the forum.:yep: Ok spill, where do you buy it? How much? How is it working? Inquiring minds want to know! :drunk:

Hey ladies what about the MSM/Sulfur float test? Can someone break that down to me please? Am I supposed to immer the pill in water or break the capsule open and pour the powder into the water? What results should I look for?

Thanks, although I'm still slightly confuzzled... :spinning: :lol:

BT uses the yellow sulfur, the kind the settles at the bottom and you have to shake it to distribute it in the mixture. I use the yellow sulfur too in my mixtures.

MSM is still sulfur, but it's like another form of it. They don't have the same physical properties, I believe.

Hey ladies what about the MSM/Sulfur float test? Can someone break that down to me please? Am I supposed to immer the pill in water or break the capsule open and pour the powder into the water? What results should I look for?

Ok found it! This is thread on the MSM recipe, but it speaks on the float test also.

:blush: Thanks Itown!! I didn't know there was such a thing. See that's why I love the forum.:yep: Ok spill, where do you buy it? How much? How is it working? Inquiring minds want to know! :drunk:
I get mine at vitamin shoppe for $ 8.00 locally but here is link for more information: http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=TP-2036 .

I probably got growth but since I was trimming my relaxer during my transition can't say specifics. It states the same: healthy for joints, skin, hair and nails as the powder do.

I just bought the Roux Porosity Control. I will do this once a week before my dc. Hopefully it will help me to hang on to moisture longer.
I just learned about that last week. I bought the sample size and i will try it tomorrow. If it helps i will buy the full size but i'v bought sooooo much product since i join after that i'm done buying until may!

Just think of it like this, MSM or methylsulfonylmethane is a white, odorless sulfur that is taken internally.
MSM is odorless the sublimed has a slight odor and turns silver jewelry black.
Now that explains why my pretty silver earrings turned black, I totally forgot about this. Here I was vowing never to order jewelry from this particular Jeweler thinking they sold me imitation silver.

Thanks Flowinglocks!

Just think of it like this, MSM or methylsulfonylmethane is a white, odorless sulfur that is taken internally.
MSM is odorless the sublimed has a slight odor and turns silver jewelry black.
Now that explains why my pretty silver earrings turned black, I totally forgot about this. Here I was vowing never to order jewelry from this particular Jeweler thinking they sold me imitation silver.

Thanks Flowinglocks!

Jewelry cleaner should bring it back. :yep: I have a ring that turned myself. I plan on just not wearing for a while.

Thanks, I wonder if this would make me gain weight like the NATROL brand. Have you notice any change in weight?

No, I don't take it orally at all, I just mix it with my hair products/oils. Between biotin/MSM something I broke out so I'm don't take either.

Hello,
I really want to be in, but the only product containing sulfur that I have is sulfur8. As I heard so many bad thing about mineral oil I'm really afraid to use S8. Do the other ladies that use S8 bother about mineral oil or do you think that it doesnt really matter?

Milaydy

I use Sulfur 8 and yes I see that it have mineral oil in it. I don't think it matters. Maybe some others with chime in with advice?

Hello,
I really want to be in, but the only product containing sulfur that I have is sulfur8. As I heard so many bad thing about mineral oil I'm really afraid to use S8. Do the other ladies that use S8 bother about mineral oil or do you think that it doesnt really matter?

Milaydy

I don't use Sulfur 8 but I don't have any problem with mineral oil. Half of my Ayurvedic oils contain mineral oil. I use them to massage my scalp, then use another oil for the ends. I say if it's not giving you any problems then don't worry about it. Would you me to add you to the list of challengers?

I have been using sulfur8 grease in my MN mix and use it about 3 times a week on my scalp. I haven't decided yet if I want to join the challenge but I would like to follow it for a while though, if that's okay?

Count me in

As I only have sulfur8 I will start with this (every 2 days). I also take MSM orally (1000 mcg everyday).
If I have any allergic reaction or setback with sulfur8 I will tell you so I'll stop the challenge.

Milaydy

I would like to join. I am going to use BT. I have also been taking MSM since October.

Starting pic
24e6jko.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not officially in this challenge, but I wanted to ask if you ladies think the MSM content of GNC Ultra Nourishair is enough to make a difference with hair growth? It has 500mg in it.

Count me in

As I only have sulfur8 I will start with this (every 2 days). I also take MSM orally (1000 mcg everyday).
If I have any allergic reaction or setback with sulfur8 I will tell you so I'll stop the challenge.

Milaydy

Are you taking the pills or the powder?

I just purchased the powder from Whole Foods today. I will use my msm pills to take on trips and the powder daily. I purchased the Jarrow Formulas Brand and it says OptiMSM. I hope I have the right kind.
NOW can I mix it with any liquid and drink it? Also can I mix it in my hair oils and shampoo & cond?

I have been using sulfur8 grease in my MN mix and use it about 3 times a week on my scalp. I haven't decided yet if I want to join the challenge but I would like to follow it for a while though, if that's okay?
Welcome back, miss you!

Update: I received my MSM the other day. For years I've taken 1,000 mg capsules. I'm taking 2 per day. Also, my sulfur powder came yesterday. Today, I added 1/2 teaspoon to my oil mix in an applicator bottle (only about 1/2 full of oil before adding the sulfur powder, so the ratio is high). I applied to my scalp and put S8 over it. This will be my regimen for the forseeable future. By making my own MTG, the smell of sulfur is almost non-existent. I should have thought of this years ago when I bought MTG for the first time!

Last edited:
Are you taking the pills or the powder?

I just purchased the powder from Whole Foods today. I will use my msm pills to take on trips and the powder daily. I purchased the Jarrow Formulas Brand and it says OptiMSM. I hope I have the right kind.
NOW can I mix it with any liquid and drink it? Also can I mix it in my hair oils and shampoo & cond?

I take the pills. Mine also says OptiMSM, I think it's the good one.

Back