2010 Sulfur Challenge

Ok ladies today is the offical first day of the challenge!!:grin: If you haven't done so already please post your starting pics. and your reggie. The purpose of this challenge is to give you a place to check in to help you stay consistent with your sulfur products. As well as a daily dose of motivation. This is a learning experience for all of us so please do not hesitate to share how the products are working for you, recipes, success stories, etc.

For anyone else wanting to share this journey with us, there is still time to join. :yep: There is no cut off date.

Let's make this an opportunity to adjust whatever needs to be done avoid setbacks and maximize growth. One bit of advice, Pay close attention to your hair and give it what it needs at the appropriate times. Although sulfur on the scalp can help with growth, some products such as MTG can be drying to the hair. Make sure your hair is receiving the proper amount of moisture to avoid a potential setback.

Let's make this our best growing year ever!! And as always, protect those ends so you can reap the benefits of your hard work. Remember growth means nothing without retention.

HHG!!!

I will be taking
*Powder Msm daily 3/4 Teaspoon w/ juice equals to 3,000mg
* Baggie w/ Sulu Max Gro Nightly

Reggie
Co wash every 3 days Alternation between Pantene Relaxed & Natural and Suave Humecant.
DC with Hair Mayonaise/Pantene Time Renewal Mask
Air Dry
Mositurize with ORS olive oil creme
Castor Oil to edges
Protective Styling with Half wigs until May.

Attachments

• Start2hhj.jpg
    Start2hhj.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Starthhj.jpg
    Starthhj.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I will be taking
*Powder Msm daily 3/4 Teaspoon w/ juice equals to 3,000mg
* Baggie w/ Sulu Max Gro Nightly

Reggie
Co wash every 3 days Alternation between Pantene Relaxed & Natural and Suave Humecant.
DC with Hair Mayonaise/Pantene Time Renewal Mask
Air Dry
Mositurize with ORS olive oil creme
Castor Oil to edges
Protective Styling with Half wigs until May.

Is this product drying to the hair like the MTG?

My goal is to get my front to catch up with the back then continue to make it grow long and strong. I want to minimize breakage and retain length.

My reggie will be:

• Daily Bunning
  • Sulfur 8, Nature's Blessing, Ylang ylang Mix to scalp 3 x's a week
  • Coconut Oil on my ends
  • MSM & Vitamin C capsules daily (beginning 2morrow)
  • Hair, skin, nails vit., biotin, L-lysine pills (currently)

Good luck ladies! Let's get it!! :drunk::drunk:

Attachments

• MyHair,Str8nd.jpg
    MyHair,Str8nd.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Length1Pass.jpg
    Length1Pass.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 18
My routine will be:
co-wash 2x a week/wash everyother week
ayuveda tea rinse/dc twice a week
leave in after dc
Rotation of sulfur/oils:
sublimed sulfur mixed with carrier oil/sulfur hair grease/afroveda shikaki, hibiscus and sunkit, with sheabutter mix or afroveda custards
I will be bunning during the winter.
Goal APL this year.

Do you guys think that this is a good brand?

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/s...145484&navAction=jump&navCount=3#prodIngdCont

CVS Msm 1000 Mg Capsules
Per Capsule: MSM 1 g (1000 mg) (Methylsulfonylmethane) (340 mg Organic Sulfur); Gelatin; Calcium Stearate

or these

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/s...150166&navAction=jump&navCount=3#prodIngdCont

Natrol Msm 500 Mg Capsules
Per Capsule: MSM (Methyl Sulfonyl Methane) 500 mg (Organic Sulfur 165 mg); Gelatin; Silica

The Natrol is the brand I have. I got them for 14.99 at Meijers. I'm sure either one would work. Have you taken MSM before?

I'm right on time, my BT just arrived today and I'd like to join this challenge:dance7: TIA!!

No I have never used MSM. Is this your first time using it? Any tips for me? How many mg is yours??

I actually took it for a while last year. I loved the results. My joints absolutely thanked me. I have an arthritic hip and it worked wonders. My skin was beautiful, I mean it glowed! My nails grew super fast, ng was softer and thicker. Then only drawback................weight gain:nono: I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I was walking 3 miles a day and still gaining weight. When I dropped the MSM the weight dropped also. I was taking 2000mg a day. This may have been too much for my body.
Besides the weight gain the other side effect I had was very vivid dreams. Not nightmares, just very vivid. Don't let this discourage you, just start out with a small dose and see how your body responds then slowly build from there. Also, you will want to make sure you drink plenty of water.

ETA: Mine are 500mg also.

Last edited:
Yes it is, Thats why I have to co-wash every three days and moisturize twice a day! I need a REALLLLLLY good moisturizer!

I just bought the Roux Porosity Control. I will do this once a week before my dc. Hopefully it will help me to hang on to moisture longer.

I actually took it for a while last year. I loved the results. My joints absolutely thanked me. I have an arthritic hip and it worked wonders. My skin was beautiful, I mean it glowed! My nails grew super fast, ng was softer and thicker. Then only drawback................weight gain:nono: I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I was walking 3 miles a day and still gaining weight. When I dropped the MSM the weight dropped also. I was taking 2000mg a day. This may have been too much for my body.
Besides the weight gain the other side effect I had was very vivid dreams. Not nightmares, just very vivid. Don't let this discourage you, just start out with a small dose and see how your body responds then slowly build from there. Also, you will want to make sure you drink plenty of water.

Thanks for responding in detail!
I notice u didn't mention anything about increased growth per say? Were u using the Natrol brand last year? Were u taking it close to bedtime? As long as it doesn't interrupt my sleep I'm good.

Thanks for responding in detail!
I notice u didn't mention anything about increased growth per say? Were u using the Natrol brand last year? Were u taking it close to bedtime? As long as it doesn't interrupt my sleep I'm good.

I took it in the morning and in the middle of the day. I felt like my hair was growing out thicker and a little faster. I stayed on it for about 6 months. I was doing MT for a while so I don't want to say it was all the MSM. Even after I dropped the MT the MSM seemed to still give me the thickness. I still have a bottle and a half left. I want to take it so bad, but I don't want the weight. I might try taking 1 pill a day to see what happens.

I took it in the morning and in the middle of the day. I felt like my hair was growing out thicker and a little faster. I stayed on it for about 6 months. I was doing MT for a while so I don't want to say it was all the MSM. Even after I dropped the MT the MSM seemed to still give me the thickness. I still have a bottle and a half left. I want to take it so bad, but I don't want the weight. I might try taking 1 pill a day to see what happens.

Oh ok thx flowinlocks. I plan on purchasing Natrol MSM along with Vitamin C from CVS 2morrow and I will give it a 4-6 month run to see how and if it works for me. I hear Vitamin C helps synthesize MSM in the body. :drunk:

This is my regimen and the form of sulfur that I'll be using is Boundless Tresses. I've used BT once before and the results were great. It does what it says it will do. I gained both thickness and growth!:grin:

Hair Regimen

Prepoo overnight before shampooing
Shampoo every 2 weeks
Deep condition every 2 weeks
Protein once per month

BT as directed or every other day
Spritz, moisturize and seal ends nightly
Dust/trim as needed
Silk scarf/silk pillow case

I'm washing every 2 weeks, because I'm 17 weeks post. Low manipulation is best for me while stretching. However, if I experience any build up then I'll wash at least once per week.

Ok, I just moisturized my hair and applied the mixture to my scalp. I can barely smell the sulfur because I put some scented oil in it. I can't remember the name of the oil right now, but gladly I was thinking back then when I put a scent in it, lol.

I plan on using it every other day.

You can view the photos in my Fotki! In a few weeks I'll be posting updated photos.:grin: My natural hair is braided now. I'll take photos of my roots and length before and after I wash.

I recently purchased Kenra moisturizing shampoo & conditioner from Trade Secret. I plan to condition on dry hair. I have a protein overload and need something that's really moisturizing. I'd also like to try the new sulfate free KeraCare!:grin:

Question, if your sulfur isn't yellow and doesn't smell does that mean it isn't the right kind? I'm confused now cuz I've been reading stuff that says it should be yellow in colour and mine is white. Also, I don't feel anything in terms of a tingle once I apply to my scalp :perplexed: I'm thinking I may need another type of sulfur if I want to apply topically. Any idea ladies?

Also BT users, are there grains in the oil or is the MSM totally dissolved ?TIA

In any case, I am still taking my MSM internally - I've now moved to taking it just before bed, along with my Biotin.

Question, if your sulfur isn't yellow and doesn't smell does that mean it isn't the right kind? I'm confused now cuz I've been reading stuff that says it should be yellow in colour and mine is white. Also, I don't feel anything in terms of a tingle once I apply to my scalp :perplexed: I'm thinking I may need another type of sulfur if I want to apply topically. Any idea ladies?

Also BT users, are there grains in the oil or is the MSM totally dissolved ?TIA

In any case, I am still taking my MSM internally - I've now moved to taking it just before bed, along with my Biotin.

Sounds like you have MSM.
MSM is white and the sublimed sulfur is yellow. Sulfur never completely dissolves. It settles to the bottom.

^^ Thank you for the clarification! So, applying MSM will be a waste of time, because what I really need is sulfur???

Can you add any insight on the Boundless Tresses?

^^ Thank you for the clarification! So, applying MSM will be a waste of time, because what I really need is sulfur???

Can you add any insight on the Boundless Tresses?

Does the BT contain sulfur? Is MSM no use when applied topically?

I don't have any insight on BT, I have never used it. MSM is sulfur. And from my understanding people are using it topically also and receiving results.:yep:

ETA: I'm sorry, I though you were asking does the BT contain MSM. Yes it contains sulfur.

Last edited:
Hi ladies! I just purchased some 1000mg MSM & 500mg Vitamin C today. I applied my Sulfur 8 mix to my scalp last night! About to take the pills now since I just finished eating lunch. Everything makes me nauseous if I don't eat 1st. LOL

Back