2010 Sulfur Challenge

Checking in...I will be posting a starting pic this weekend. But just FYI I applied my sulfur & EO mix last night to my scalp. Ok BYE!

Just jazzed up my JBCO/MN mix with some Bee Mine. Gonna apply it after I rinse out this DC. Going to rub some Surge cream into my scalp as well.

Does the Claudie's scalp elixir in pink sugar really smell like this? I love the pink sugar scent and was considering ordering this. Thanks in advance for your feedback :)

Yes it does smell like pink sugar! I smell no sulfur AT ALL!
When I apply it....I stick my head under my husband's nose and say "don't that smell good!". He's like :lick: and :lachen:

I used it again last night.

I think I am gonna do it every other night.

Please add me!

Reggie:
Protective style - Sew ins for the year
Sulfur 8 2-3x's per week
Moisturize every other day
Braidout on leave out hair (Use Suave Humectant to moisturize and EVOO to seal)
Co-wash (Kenra) every two weeks while in sew in
Poo+Protein Treatment+ DC between each install.
Relax 2-3x's this year

I'll post a starting pic later (it's from Dec though) I'm in a sew in right now!

Yes it does smell like pink sugar! I smell no sulfur AT ALL!
When I apply it....I stick my head under my husband's nose and say "don't that smell good!". He's like :lick: and :lachen:

I used it again last night.

I think I am gonna do it every other night.

I need this in my life!!! I cannot wait until the online store opens up again.

Time to break it out!!:yep: BTW I'm lovin the texture in your avatar. I'm assuming the transition is going well?
Flowinlocks, I'm done all natural 19 Jan. It was not bc but lc I only had relaxer in the front. I'm not big on the annoucement to the forum just posted in transition thread and post in my album. thanks

Last edited:
I hope I can still join. When I used the sulfur 8 and MTG, my hair grew super fast and was more healthy.:yep: I will be using Bee Mine instead of MTG. I will be wearing mostly flat twists or 2 strand twists until I learn how to braid.:rolleyes: I will not be using heat until my shedding gets under control.:cry:

I hope I can still join. When I used the sulfur 8 and MTG, my hair grew super fast and was more healthy.:yep: I will be using Bee Mine instead of MTG. I will be wearing mostly flat twists or 2 strand twists until I learn how to braid.:rolleyes: I will not be using heat until my shedding gets under control.:cry:

Please add me!

Reggie:
Protective style - Sew ins for the year
Sulfur 8 2-3x's per week
Moisturize every other day
Braidout on leave out hair (Use Suave Humectant to moisturize and EVOO to seal)
Co-wash (Kenra) every two weeks while in sew in
Poo+Protein Treatment+ DC between each install.
Relax 2-3x's this year

I'll post a starting pic later (it's from Dec though) I'm in a sew in right now!

Welcome ladies!!

Have you tried tea rinsing? It works wonders for shedding.:yep:

Hi. Can I join too? I've started off trying MTG but switched that out for BT. Yesterday, I mixed 3 oz of BT with 4.5 oz of MN and started using that. I'm also taking MSM orally. I'm not really sure how much I'm supposed to be taking so, if anyone can help with that I'd really appreciated it. For now, I'm taking 2g. I have a pic in my siggy that I took today. I really need to get a measuring shirt tho. But for now, it is what it is.

I'd like to get some sulfer powder to make my own product when the BT mixture runs out. Where are you guys getting powder sulfer?

Looking forward to this challenge.

Hi. Can I join too? I've started off trying MTG but switched that out for BT. Yesterday, I mixed 3 oz of BT with 4.5 oz of MN and started using that. I'm also taking MSM orally. I'm not really sure how much I'm supposed to be taking so, if anyone can help with that I'd really appreciated it. For now, I'm taking 2g. I have a pic in my siggy that I took today. I really need to get a measuring shirt tho. But for now, it is what it is.

I'd like to get some sulfer powder to make my own product when the BT mixture runs out. Where are you guys getting powder sulfer?

Looking forward to this challenge.

Welcome NJoy, adding you to the list. I got my sulfur from here. As far as the dosage on the MSM, I'm not sure about the grams. I started out with 1 500mg capsule then worked my way up to 2. However there are members that take more, I would start off slow and give your body time to adjust.

Sign me up please!!! Here is my regime

Wash and D/C every 3-4 days, as follows:
Shampoo with Amla and shikakai rinse
Condition with Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor
D/C with Herbal Essence Coconut milk and My Shea Butter mix
After Wash and when needed
Moisturize with Herbal Essence Long Hair Relationship leave-in
Seal with Vatika
For Scalp every other day:
M-T-G but i pour off the oil and replace it with Jamaican Mango and lime Island oil

Here is my starting pic
SDC10611-vi.jpg

Add me! Using Bee Mine serum everyday!

Sign me up please!!! Here is my regime

Wash and D/C every 3-4 days, as follows:
Shampoo with Amla and shikakai rinse
Condition with Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor
D/C with Herbal Essence Coconut milk and My Shea Butter mix
After Wash and when needed
Moisturize with Herbal Essence Long Hair Relationship leave-in
Seal with Vatika
For Scalp every other day:
M-T-G but i pour off the oil and replace it with Jamaican Mango and lime Island oil

Here is my starting pic
SDC10611-vi.jpg

Gotcha ladies, welcome.

Last night I cowashed with AM and Suave, airdried , then applied my Ayurvedic/sulfur mixture and MTG. Then I sealed with HH leave in and Almond Glaze. I'm learning that I def. have to be on top of my moisture game while using the sulfur on the scalp.

Update: Did you ladies know there is a new line for Sulfur 8 called "Sulfur 8 Fresh?" It's supposed to have a lighter, fresh scent, yet still contains the benefits of sulfur. There's a hair/scalp creamy pomade, shampoo & condish, and moisture spray. The prices are very reasonable, it does smell nice, and I saw it on the shelves next to the other Sulfur 8 products at WALMART. I won't be using it, but wanted to let you all know for those who hate the Sulfur smell, and are looking for an alternative (I prefer that medicinal smell of sulfur, lol).

I got my jar Sulfur 8 yesterday (have used off & on for years), and my sulfur powder is in the mail on the way! I'll be mixing that to apply to scalp with other oils in an applicator bottle. Meanwhile, I'm using the S8 grease on scalp & edges. I love the menthol in it.

Last edited:
Update: Did you ladies know there is a new line for Sulfur 8 called "Sulfur 8 Fresh?" It's supposed to have a lighter, fresh scent, yet still contains the benefits of sulfur. There's a hair/scalp creamy pomade, shampoo & condish, and moisture spray. The prices are very reasonable, it does smell nice, and I saw it on the shelves next to the other Sulfur 8 products at WALMART. I won't be using it, but wanted to let you all know for those who hate the Sulfur smell, and are looking for an alternative.

I got my jar Sulfur 8 yesterday (have used off & on for years), and my sulfur powder is in the mail on the way! I'll be mixing that to apply to scalp with other oils in an applicator bottle. Meanwhile, I'm using the S8 grease on scalp & edges. I love the menthol in it.

No I didn't know about this. I'm sure some of the ladies will appreciate the light scent.:yep: Good looking out.

Hi Flowinlocks!
I've been using 2000mg MSM powder mixed in olive oil and ten drops of rosemary, lavender, and ylang ylang E.O. in the 1oz plastic applicator bottle. This mix generally lasts for a week and two days. My hair is currently braided up in cornrows with a net weave cap sewn on. The most recent picture attached is from a light blow dry in Dec. 9, 2009. MTG was the first sulfur product I used and my hair got a lot of growth but I was told my hair smelled like a BBQ, so I decided to make my own. I tried the sublime sulfur, it gave me growth, but made me break out on my neck(small rash bumps). Therefore I'm sticking with the organic sulfur. I also take the MSM internally, but only 2000mg a week in my water.
The msm I have comes with a little scooper, 1 scoop = 1000mg.

Thanks for this challenge, please add me, it will help me stay focused.

Attachments

• Dec 2009 R. side blow dry.jpg
    Dec 2009 R. side blow dry.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 22
  • MSM hair oils for 2010.jpg
    MSM hair oils for 2010.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Hi Flowinlocks!
I've been using 2000mg MSM powder mixed in olive oil and ten drops of rosemary, lavender, and ylang ylang E.O. in the 1oz plastic applicator bottle. This mix generally lasts for a week and two days. My hair is currently braided up in cornrows with a net weave cap sewn on. The most recent picture attached is from a light blow dry in Dec. 9, 2009. MTG was the first sulfur product I used and my hair got a lot of growth but I was told my hair smelled like a BBQ, so I decided to make my own. I tried the sublime sulfur, it gave me growth, but made me break out on my neck(small rash bumps). Therefore I'm sticking with the organic sulfur. I also take the MSM internally, but only 2000mg a week in my water.
The msm I have comes with a little scooper, 1 scoop = 1000mg.

Thanks for this challenge, please add me, it will help me stay focused.

Welcome to the challenge LAURENCE. I'm curious, how long have you been using the MSM mixture? Have you seen any progress from it? And from my understanding the MSM powder doesn't dissolve at all in oil, correct? Sorry for all the questions.

Welcome to the challenge LAURENCE. I'm curious, how long have you been using the MSM mixture? Have you seen any progress from it? And from my understanding the MSM powder doesn't dissolve at all in oil, correct? Sorry for all the questions.

My first recorded date is January 1, 2008(I write down everything I do to my hair for future reference). I was mixing it with wild growth oil. I used it weekly after washing until March 15. When I started ayurvedic regi. I alternated between MSM mixed with vatika oil, avocado, and jojoba oil followed by scalp massage. By June 21, 2008 I had gone from grazing shoulder length to a strong, thick, and full 1/4 inch from APL. I did not use it as consistently between July and Dec. '08 (concentrating mostly on ayurvedic regi.). But I got about 1/2 inch of growth during that time which brought me to 1/8 in below APL...but I think I could have gotten more growth if I had used it in the same manner as previous months. On Jan 9. I jumped on a bandwagon of straightening NAKED hair:perplexed It was about 1/2 inch from BSL! It was all downhill from there:wallbash:. I've been nursing it back to health and trimming burnt ends monthly during 2009.
This is why I joined the challenge so that I can see results of using this consistently for a full year.
No the MSM powder does not dissolve in oil, neither does the sublime sulfur. I find that It still gives good results. I generally shake it well before applying and follow with a scalp massage. I also found it's best to apply following a wash/conditioning when the scalp pores are open.

Hope this helps I'm always wiling to share my knowledge and experiences:yep:

P.S. to all the ladies planning to use MSM powder, please take according to the recommended doses(YES, even when Applying TOPICALLY). As MSM has been known to cause sleeplessness and/or vivid nightmares in some. I know some sisters may increase the doses when they begin to see results, do not do this. Please do spot and sample tests and thourough research and please make sure you are using MSM that contains organic sulfur.

My first recorded date is January 1, 2008(I write down everything I do to my hair for future reference). I was mixing it with wild growth oil. I used it weekly after washing until March 15. When I started ayurvedic regi. I alternated between MSM mixed with vatika oil, avocado, and jojoba oil followed by scalp massage. By June 21, 2008 I had gone from grazing shoulder length to a strong, thick, and full 1/4 inch from APL. I did not use it as consistently between July and Dec. '08 (concentrating mostly on ayurvedic regi.). But I got about 1/2 inch of growth during that time which brought me to 1/8 in below APL...but I think I could have gotten more growth if I had used it in the same manner as previous months. On Jan 9. I jumped on a bandwagon of straightening NAKED hair:perplexed It was about 1/2 inch from BSL! It was all downhill from there:wallbash:. I've been nursing it back to health and trimming burnt ends monthly during 2009.
This is why I joined the challenge so that I can see results of using this consistently for a full year.
No the MSM powder does not dissolve in oil, neither does the sublime sulfur. I find that It still gives good results. I generally shake it well before applying and follow with a scalp massage. I also found it's best to apply following a wash/conditioning when the scalp pores are open.

Hope this helps I'm always wiling to share my knowledge and experiences:yep:

P.S. to all the ladies planning to use MSM powder, please take according to the recommended doses(YES, even when Applying TOPICALLY). As MSM has been known to cause sleeplessness and/or vivid nightmares in some. I know some sisters may increase the doses when they begin to see results, do not do this. Please do spot and sample tests and thourough research and please make sure you are using MSM that contains organic sulfur.

I can't stress the bolded enough.
Thanks so much for sharing your experience. It sounds like you made awesome progress using the MSM topically.:yep: So basically the capsules wouldn't give the same effect.:scratchch I'm sorry to hear you had a setback. I have no doubt with you'll fully bounce back. Are you still doing Ayurveda?

I can't stress the bolded enough.
Thanks so much for sharing your experience. It sounds like you made awesome progress using the MSM topically.:yep: So basically the capsules wouldn't give the same effect.:scratchch I'm sorry to hear you had a setback. I have no doubt with you'll fully bounce back. Are you still doing Ayurveda?

I'm sure one would get results taking capsules internally. To use topically you most can open up the capsules and place the contents into your liquid of choice to apply to the scalp. I personally feel that I got more for my money by purchasing the powder. I can take it internally and use it topically and one 7oz bottle lasted me a little over a 1.5 years and that was with at least a year of steady use. Yes, I am still on the ayurvedic regimine.
Thanks for the encouraging words.

I'm sure one would get results taking capsules internally. To use topically you most can open up the capsules and place the contents into your liquid of choice to apply to the scalp. I personally feel that I got more for my money by purchasing the powder. I can take it internally and use it topically and one 7oz bottle lasted me a little over a 1.5 years and that was with at least a year of steady use. Yes, I am still on the ayurvedic regimine.
Thanks for the encouraging words.

I'm familiar with opening them up and using them in mixtures. I'm just wondering if the powder in the capsules are as potent as the MSM in bulk form. I have a bottle and a half I need to use up, so I may experiment with mixing them in my cond.

Back