2010 Sulfur Challenge

How were your results with the Beemine compared to your homemix?

I trimmed in June so that was about 4 months after we started so I think I got something with homemade. I did get some growth from June-Aug. I have some many oils, especially ceramides oils that I can mix my own sulfur. That 1 bottle of sulfur can last a while so no need to buy any more sulfur mixes.:grin:

I trimmed in June so that was about 4 months after we started so I think I got something with homemade. I did get some growth from June-Aug. I have some many oils, especially ceramides oils that I can mix my own sulfur. That 1 bottle of sulfur can last a while so no need to buy any more sulfur mixes.:grin:

Did you get more growth than your normally get without using anything? I often see ladies say "they got growth" but I never see the amount relative to their normal amount. Let me know if you actually knew your regular growth rate.

Did you get more growth than your normally get without using anything? I often see ladies say "they got growth" but I never see the amount relative to their normal amount. Let me know if you actually knew your regular growth rate.

To the bold, I actually never measure my growth rate prior to this forum so it's possible that it normal growth:look:. I've been on mega tek, ayurveda and now sulfur challenge and for the first 2 I was transitioning and snipping relaxer and now this one being fully natural since Jan. Although I'm probably just getting my normal slow 1/2" the idea of using sulfur is still pleasing and healthy since sulfur is good for the overall body:grin:. I find challenges good because it remind me to take care of my hair:yep:

Uggh! I just had to clarify my hair in an emergency. I was just sitting here on the computer and I suddenly got a major case of the itchies. :pullhair:

You ladies ever get that? Eeew, it felt like a thousand bugs were crawling on the top of my head. I could barely reach my scalp through the NG and I was afraid to scratch thinking it might break off from dryness.

I believe castor oil does that to me. Last night I put a little more than normal in my mix and I remember these itchies happening the next day after I used straight castor oil once.

I'm only about 4 1/2 weeks post but my NG feels like a brillo pad. I had to clarify because I may need to relax at 6 weeks again. This is crazy! I'm laying off my Sulfur mix until I see if my NG is tamed after I DC.

Uggh! I just had to clarify my hair in an emergency. I was just sitting here on the computer and I suddenly got a major case of the itchies. :pullhair:

You ladies ever get that? Eeew, it felt like a thousand bugs were crawling on the top of my head. I could barely reach my scalp through the NG and I was afraid to scratch thinking it might break off from dryness.

I believe castor oil does that to me. Last night I put a little more than normal in my mix and I remember these itchies happening the next day after I used straight castor oil once.

I'm only about 4 1/2 weeks post but my NG feels like a brillo pad. I had to clarify because I may need to relax at 6 weeks again. This is crazy! I'm laying off my Sulfur mix until I see if my NG is tamed after I DC.

speaking personally, the only time I have gotten the itcheis/crawlies like that is when I was having a major growth spurt.

And yes my ng feels like brillo pad while using MTG and Bee Mine. I usually combat this by applying leave in cond. to my ng only and sealing with Castor oil. Although you could try using WGO or Hemp oil, they are both excellent for sealing in moisture and making the hair more pliable.:yep:

Still using my sulfur/mn mix on my scalp at night. I have them mixed in black castor oil and it leaves my hair super soft.

speaking personally, the only time I have gotten the itcheis/crawlies like that is when I was having a major growth spurt.

And yes my ng feels like brillo pad while using MTG and Bee Mine. I usually combat this by applying leave in cond. to my ng only and sealing with Castor oil. Although you could try using WGO or Hemp oil, they are both excellent for sealing in moisture and making the hair more pliable.:yep:

I sure hope it's a major growth spurt!! And it probably was dry because I did only do a quick moisturizing session this morning and didn't focus on the NG. But that itching was no joke and it was pretty scary. I sat under my new steamer and it feels great now. :yep:

I left my camera in my friend's dorm, but I'll be sure to post pics when I go get it!

I applied my MTG and GGB tonight and cowashed. I'm two weeks post and I swear I see growth. Maybe if I keep telling myself that it'll show up. :look:

So the kids are back in school. This means I can freely work from home and, you know what that means? I can get back to taking care of my hair in any way I choose. So, what am I doing today? Working from home, looking like someone from The Color Purple. I applied sulfur mix to my scalp, moisturized and sealed my strands, have them put up in 4 bantu knots, each wrapped in saran wrap, oh, and a scarf around the whole contraption...just in case the someone comes to the door, I won't have to look like a martian. :lachen: Ah, but I'm happy. Isn't that all that matters? Hey. Going hard ain't always pretty. :grin:

Harpo!!!!

Yes, and this is when I have to be really careful because I can scratch sores in my scalp when sleeping. It's like every other week. I think it's probably the hair processing growth? I don't know, but peppermint oil in the mix usually soothes my scalp...for awhile anyway. :ohwell:

Yes, and this is when I have to be really careful because I can scratch sores in my scalp when sleeping. It's like every other week. I think it's probably the hair processing growth? I don't know, but peppermint oil in the mix usually soothes my scalp...for awhile anyway. :ohwell:

Yeah, that peppermint oil is some good stuff.:lick:

But that's pretty scary to be able to scratch your scalp in your sleep like that. But do you actually scratch through your head wrap/scarf?

^^ Hey Flo, please let us know how that goes. I've been thinking about using Cassia instead of hennaing. I used to henna all the time, but I don't want red hair right now:)

Yeah, that peppermint oil is some good stuff.:lick:

But that's pretty scary to be able to scratch your scalp in your sleep like that. But do you actually scratch through your head wrap/scarf?

Yup! :yep: There's no limitation to what I can do awake...let alone when I'm sleeping. That's why I use the peppermint oil...well, of course though I can't use it when my scalp is sore. This goes for tea tree oil too.

^^ Hey Flo, please let us know how that goes. I've been thinking about using Cassia instead of hennaing. I used to henna all the time, but I don't want red hair right now:)

Well I'm back... I mixed about 50 grams of Cassia with some hot Fenugreek tea for slip and extra strength.

I also mixed in some strawberries and cream V05 to cut the smell. I mixed it till it was creamy and applied it to dry, unwashed, oiled hair. I left it on for 2 hours. Rinsed, then dced with Aussie Moist and Suave Humectant. To help give slip and to aid in rinsing out any extra residue. When I rinsed my hair felt like butter.

I let it air dry, the applied my homemade sulfur mix to my scalp. I will admit my hair actually does feel thicker and stronger, but I did have to add extra moisture (more than usual) once it dried.

It's fine, overall I would do it again,:yep: maybe once a month. Next time I may mix in oil also, just like I do with the Henna, this helps to combat some of the dryness.:yep:

I've been slacking on the sulfur also, but since I just recently cut off almost half of my length, I'm getting back on it.

gosh, i haven't been on the boards for ages, but i have applied my sulfur mix regularly.

now it's time to stop application, though, because i will perm next week (hopefully).

so see you all post perm and keep up with the sulfur!

btw, thanks Flow for posting how the cassia went!

i've been wanting to try that for ages!

does it also give the hair more shine? not that you need it because your hairo healthy, shiny and luxurious looking!

So these lying pics are telling me that the sulfur/msm is working lol but I haven't been able to accurately measure. I will start measuring my hair straight once a month starting in September because my guestimeasurements say otherwise

comic.jpg

Last edited:
So these lying pics are telling me that the sulfur/msm is working lol but I haven't been able to accurately measure. I will start measuring my hair straight once a month starting in September because my guestimeasurements say otherwise

See my disgusting face tho?! UGH! I shall find which one is the culprit soon (running out of MSM)

Girl what are you talking about? I can see progress!!

Last edited:
Thanks! Can you unquote the pic? I'm gonna remove it because 1. I didn't notice I covered my head lol 2. I'm retaking it with my camera. My iphone makes my body looks shrunken which is prob y it looks like it grew that much

^^^ Aaah ok. Well I'm not good with my eyes....seriously I can only see about 5 inches in front of me lol but anywho! Im about to make a new sulfur mix. Think I will try sulfur, shikikai oil, and amla oil. Anyone ever use those oils? Not with the sulfur mix but just in general.

Back