2010 Sulfur Challenge

Hmm, never occurred to me that there was a difference. What is the difference?

Here are some of the responses ladies posted up-thread to help me understand the difference:

Just think of it like this, MSM or methylsulfonylmethane is a white, odorless sulfur that is taken internally.
MSM is odorless the sublimed has a slight odor and turns silver jewelry black.

Just think of it like this, MSM or methylsulfonylmethane is a white, odorless sulfur that is taken internally. Usually in capsules or in powder form mixed in liquid. Yes it can be mixed with oil to be used topically but it won't dissolve. I have seen a recipe on here that calls from dissolving it in a small amout of boiling water first then mixing it in cond.

Sublimed Sulfur or Flowers of Sulfur is the yellow sulfur. It is a pharmaceutical sulfur used in prescription compounding skin preparations.
This form is for topical use only. While the MSM is odorless the sublimed has a slight odor and turns silver jewelry black. It dissolves somewhat in oil, but it still settles to the bottom and must be mixed with each use also.

Hi ya'll. I just wanted to chime in and say hello. I've been reading through the entire thread and I'm "unofficially" doing the challenge along with you all. Saturday was my first day. I'm using my own homemade version of boundless tresses plus the Hawaiin Silky 14-1 spray. I'm also taking a multi-vitamin, fish oils, and 5000mg of biotin per day. Also, I'm drinking 3-4 liters of water every day. I do that anyway though, so that's nothing new. I finally got the blend right last night. I'm only using 1 tsp of sulfer with about 6-7 oz of oil plus about 20-25 drops of peppermint EO. Yeah, I know that's a lot of peppermint, but I love the tingle and since I work around a lot of people, I need to mask the sulfer smell as much as possible and so far I haven't had any adverse reactions to the excessive minty-ness. :grin: Yesterday I could smell the sulfer through my wig and I was self-conscious most of the day. I used Megatek and my hair broke off terribly. I never could get the protein/moisture balance correct, but by my own admission, I did neglect my hair quite a bit. I have a lot of breakage and thining in the crown as well as on my nape. I think this challenge is going to be good for me. I've learned quite a bit so far. I also need to work on my retention skills as well. Tonight I'm going to the gym after work so I'm sure my body heat will fire up that sulpher and peppermint big time.

Lyn

Hi anilyn - I think you made your mix with the right amount of sulfur (not too much). You got me wanting to add some peppermint oil when I make my mix now. Right now I am still using my claudie's elixir, so when I run of it and some leftover boundless tresses, I am going mix up something. What other oils did you use in your mix?

Hi anilyn - I think you made your mix with the right amount of sulfur (not too much). You got me wanting to add some peppermint oil when I make my mix now. Right now I am still using my claudie's elixir, so when I run of it and some leftover boundless tresses, I am going mix up something. What other oils did you use in your mix?

This is the oil that I used. I added a little bit of olive oil to the mix as well. Next time I'll probably use a better quality, but I already had this and didn't want to spend too much $$ on yet another product. I got my sulfer from ebay. It was like $7.00 for a pound which will last me the entire challange and then some. I really liked the peppermint. I think you get a better smelling product with the mints, herbs, etc than you do with the floral ones. I used some jasmine/vanilla in my first sample and didn't like it at all with the sulphur. The tea tree EO wasn't bad, just more mediciny. The next time I might try orange blended with my peppermint.

ARHOT6OIL.jpg

Well Anilyn, I think speaking up makes you an official member. :welcome2:

I just used the last of my mix yesterday and am making up a new batch today. I also used peppermint and tangerine EOs in my mix. I love peppermint for the tingle and tangerine is just yummy. :grin:

Again, welcome!

Hi ya'll. I just wanted to chime in and say hello. I've been reading through the entire thread and I'm "unofficially" doing the challenge along with you all. Saturday was my first day. I'm using my own homemade version of boundless tresses plus the Hawaiin Silky 14-1 spray. I'm also taking a multi-vitamin, fish oils, and 5000mg of biotin per day. Also, I'm drinking 3-4 liters of water every day. I do that anyway though, so that's nothing new. I finally got the blend right last night. I'm only using 1 tsp of sulfer with about 6-7 oz of oil plus about 20-25 drops of peppermint EO. Yeah, I know that's a lot of peppermint, but I love the tingle and since I work around a lot of people, I need to mask the sulfer smell as much as possible and so far I haven't had any adverse reactions to the excessive minty-ness. :grin: Yesterday I could smell the sulfer through my wig and I was self-conscious most of the day. I used Megatek and my hair broke off terribly. I never could get the protein/moisture balance correct, but by my own admission, I did neglect my hair quite a bit. I have a lot of breakage and thining in the crown as well as on my nape. I think this challenge is going to be good for me. I've learned quite a bit so far. I also need to work on my retention skills as well. Tonight I'm going to the gym after work so I'm sure my body heat will fire up that sulpher and peppermint big time.

Lyn

:wave: Your mixture sounds yummy, I keep saying I'm gonna invest in some peppermint EO,I'm thinking of adding rosemary to my mixture the next time. My crown is my worse area as far dryness and being brittle. Because of this it's prone to breakage if I'm not careful. Castor oil works wonders in that area for me.:yep:

Sulfur can be drying so be sure to keep your hair moisturized. Cowashing is a wonderful way to stay on top the the moisture game.

If you decide you want to "offically" join the challenge I can add you to the list.:grin: HHG

Well Anilyn, I think speaking up makes you an official member. :welcome2:

I just used the last of my mix yesterday and am making up a new batch today. I also used peppermint and tangerine EOs in my mix. I love peppermint for the tingle and tangerine is just yummy. :grin:

Again, welcome!

Thanks for the welcome! Participating might be good for me. Honestly though, I really don't want to post a picture of my raggedy hair right now, so that's mainly why I was just going to cheer you guys on and just kinda do my thing on the sidelines. Any pics of my hair right now would be blackmail worthy. :lachen:

:wave: Your mixture sounds yummy, I keep saying I'm gonna invest in some peppermint EO,I'm thinking of adding rosemary to my mixture the next time. My crown is my worse area as far dryness and being brittle. Because of this it's prone to breakage if I'm not careful. Castor oil works wonders in that area for me.:yep:

Sulfur can be drying so be sure to keep your hair moisturized. Cowashing is a wonderful way to stay on top the the moisture game.

If you decide you want to "offically" join the challenge I can add you to the list.:grin: HHG

Yes please. I'd like to join. I think it will be good to have the accountability.

I love Rosemary. It smells so clean and fresh.

Yes, I'm really working hard on keeping my hair moisturized. Between the Megatek and my own neglect, my hair is so dry and brittle. So far I'm really liking the Hawaiin Silky 14 in 1 conditioner. I've been using it on my dry hair alternate days and then sealing with coconut oil. I think there was a thread on here a while back where someone alternated days with Boundless Tresses and the Hawaiin Silky and got good results. I haven't quite figured out my regimen as far as cowashing/shampooing. I need to figure that out tonight.

Dang, I talk a lot. Ya'll just tell me to shut up at anytime. :spinning:

Thanks for the welcome! Participating might be good for me. Honestly though, I really don't want to post a picture of my raggedy hair right now, so that's mainly why I was just going to cheer you guys on and just kinda do my thing on the sidelines. Any pics of my hair right now would be blackmail worthy. :lachen:

Girl, I hear you on the pic. I want to say, don't worry about it. We all start somewhere but, I'm picky about what I put up of myself too so, I feel ya. Post a pic whenever you feel ready.

As for talking, keep it coming. We could use a little more chatter on this thread. Keeps it moving and keeps things interesting. Welcome aboard, my friend! Glad ta have ya!

Yes please. I'd like to join. I think it will be good to have the accountability.

I love Rosemary. It smells so clean and fresh.

Yes, I'm really working hard on keeping my hair moisturized. Between the Megatek and my own neglect, my hair is so dry and brittle. So far I'm really liking the Hawaiin Silky 14 in 1 conditioner. I've been using it on my dry hair alternate days and then sealing with coconut oil. I think there was a thread on here a while back where someone alternated days with Boundless Tresses and the Hawaiin Silky and got good results. I haven't quite figured out my regimen as far as cowashing/shampooing. I need to figure that out tonight.

Adding you to the list, Welcome!! Understandable about the pic., Try and at least post your starting length. NL,SL, whatever or inches if you prefer. Oh and your reggie also.

Adding you to the list, Welcome!! Understandable about the pic., Try and at least post your starting length. NL,SL, whatever or inches if you prefer. Oh and your reggie also.

Thanks!! Well I guess it won't kill me to post a picture. I'm cowashing tonight so I'll try to get a better one that what I have. My hair is very uneven in the back but I'm saying necklength. Yeah, let me just do a picture.

Reggie:
  • Homemade Boundless Tresses - every other day
  • Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 spray conditioner with coconut oil seal on alternate days
  • Cowash or shampoo 2x per week. I'm going to try and cowash more than shampoo but I go to the gym almost every day so I'm going to have to play that one by ear.
  • Deep condition 1 time per week
  • Biotin - 5000mcg per day
  • Fish oils
  • Water - 3 to 4 liters per day
  • Multivitamin

Okay, I know this is going to sound crazy but I'm going to ask anyway.

Has anyone else experienced having really weird dreams since using sulfur. It's probably just a coincidence since I'm just massaging it into my scalp but for the past week I've had the craziest dreams. :drunk: Normally, I have a really crazy one here and there, but I've been having them EVERY night and sometimes more than one crazy one a night.

Thanks!! Well I guess it won't kill me to post a picture. I'm cowashing tonight so I'll try to get a better one that what I have. My hair is very uneven in the back but I'm saying necklength. Yeah, let me just do a picture.

Reggie:
  • Homemade Boundless Tresses - every other day
  • Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 spray conditioner with coconut oil seal on alternate days
  • Cowash or shampoo 2x per week. I'm going to try and cowash more than shampoo but I go to the gym almost every day so I'm going to have to play that one by ear.
  • Deep condition 1 time per week
  • Biotin - 5000mcg per day
  • Fish oils
  • Water - 3 to 4 liters per day
  • Multivitamin

Yay! I'm glad that you're willing to post a pic. We're all trying to improve and all here to help each other, so :clap:

Okay, I know this is going to sound crazy but I'm going to ask anyway.

Has anyone else experienced having really weird dreams since using sulfur. It's probably just a coincidence since I'm just massaging it into my scalp but for the past week I've had the craziest dreams. :drunk: Normally, I have a really crazy one here and there, but I've been having them EVERY night and sometimes more than one crazy one a night.

No weird dreams here. Maybe your dreams are just telling you to quit playin and post a pic. So once we get that, I think the crazy dreams will stop. :lachen::lachen::lachen:

No weird dreams here. Maybe your dreams are just telling you to quit playin and post a pic. So once we get that, I think the crazy dreams will stop. :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Well considering last nights dream had me married to Lamont from Sanford and Son and the two of us being snatched out of an airplane by a giant while we were on our way to our tropical honeymoon, I'm going to post up those pictures STAT!! :lachen:

Hi ladies!

Question. Anybody else get a greasy face from the sulfur mix? I remixed mine (properly this time) :yep: but my face just stays so shiny. I have my hair up in a loose bun but I have a bang out to cover my 5-head. So I don't know if the oil is coming from that hair or not. I only put the mix on my scalp of course.

Plus, I can't keep my hands out of my hair and then I touch my face by mistake during the day and feels like it irritates my skin a little and it turns a little red. I have sensitive skin.

I'm wondering if anybody knows of something I can mix in to make it less runny??? Any tips to keep my darn fingers out my hair too??? :sad:

ETA: I washed it last night to get rid of the old overly concentrated mix I did before. My face was oily with that too though. Mainly my forehead but almost the whole face is kinda oily.

T.I.A.

Last edited:
Hi ladies!

Question. Anybody else get a greasy face from the sulfur mix? I remixed mine (properly this time) :yep: but my face just stays so shiny. I have my hair up in a loose bun but I have a bang out to cover my 5-head. So I don't know if the oil is coming from that hair or not. I only put the mix on my scalp of course.

Plus, I can't keep my hands out of my hair and then I touch my face by mistake during the day and feels like it irritates my skin a little and it turns a little red. I have sensitive skin.

I'm wondering if anybody knows of something I can mix in to make it less runny??? Any tips to keep my darn fingers out my hair too??? :sad:

T.I.A.

How are you applying your mixture?

I have it in an applicator bottle but I squeeze it out onto my fingers to apply. I don't have the correct tip yet to squirt it in my scalp.

I prefer the method you use as oppose to squirting it in the scalp. I noticed ppl seem to have the drippies after doing this. Could it be you are applying too much? I usually pour my mix in my hands, rub them together and massage my scalp in the front. Then repeat the process in the back. I haven't had any problem with a greasy face. Now as far as your hands in your face and in your hair.:spank: stop that.

I prefer the method you use as oppose to squirting it in the scalp. I noticed ppl seem to have the drippies after doing this. Could it be you are applying too much? I usually pour my mix in my hands, rub them together and massage my scalp in the front. Then repeat the process in the back. I haven't had any problem with a greasy face. Now as far as your hands in your face and in your hair.:spank: stop that.

LOL..... I'll try to keep my hands out of my hair. :lachen:

I never thought about I might be using too much. I was parting my hair and greasing each part section and then massing through the scalp when done. I'll use a little less the next time.

Thanks!!

LOL..... I'll try to keep my hands out of my hair. :lachen:

I never thought about I might be using too much. I was parting my hair and greasing each part section and then massing through the scalp when done. I'll use a little less the next time.

Thanks!!

Lol, I have to admit I'm guilty of this wen I need a touch up really bad. I like to play with my ng. Sulfur will irritate skin in some case so I do try to be mindful not to do so.:yep:

I've been doing my scalp massages every evening and using my Claudie's every other day. I've got a noticeable bit of NG on the left side of my head but the right side needs to catch up. I'm gonna lay off the external sulfur because I think in another 7 days I am gonna relax. Still taking my MSM though.

I have it in an applicator bottle but I squeeze it out onto my fingers to apply. I don't have the correct tip yet to squirt it in my scalp.

I've only been at this for a few days so I'm no expert but I've found that when you apply the mix to your scalp it spreads out like crazy. I've found that parting my hair off in bigger sections helps a lot with the dripping. I had the drip problem on my nape because thats where my hair is broken. I used just like one stripe of oil and then massage.d It helped a great deal and my scalp was completely covered with the oil when I got finished with the massage.

I've only been at this for a few days so I'm no expert but I've found that when you apply the mix to your scalp it spreads out like crazy. I've found that parting my hair off in bigger sections helps a lot with the dripping. I had the drip problem on my nape because thats where my hair is broken. I used just like one stripe of oil and then massage.d It helped a great deal and my scalp was completely covered with the oil when I got finished with the massage.

Yeah, that's a good point about it spreading out, especially if using too much. I'm gonna use it really sparingly the next time and then just massage it in.

Thanks for the info!

Well considering last nights dream had me married to Lamont from Sanford and Son and the two of us being snatched out of an airplane by a giant while we were on our way to our tropical honeymoon, I'm going to post up those pictures STAT!! :lachen:

Oh lawd! :lachen: But hey, I get it! The dream is you being married to your old ways of haircare (Lamont, representing your hair from back in the day) and flying overhead in an airplane (lurking) hoping it gets you to your wonderful destination of beautiful hair (tropical locale). But no! The giant snatching you both out is your new understanding and the fact that you've come out of lurkdom. Oh yeah. It's haircare related. :lachen::lachen: Don't worry. We're all getting to that tropical honeymoon. :yep:

Hi ladies!

ETA: I washed it last night to get rid of the old overly concentrated mix I did before. My face was oily with that too though. Mainly my forehead but almost the whole face is kinda oily.

T.I.A.

I agree that you may be putting too much on. Or, maybe you can use a base that's not as runny as oil. I think I read that the base for Boundless Tresses is coconut oil and shea butter. That keeps it from being so runny. I'm thinking about making my next batch a little less oily too.

Speaking of, I'm behind schedule and better get ta mixing! I hope everyone's having a good day!

I agree that you may be putting too much on. Or, maybe you can use a base that's not as runny as oil. I think I read that the base for Boundless Tresses is coconut oil and shea butter. That keeps it from being so runny. I'm thinking about making my next batch a little less oily too.

Speaking of, I'm behind schedule and better get ta mixing! I hope everyone's having a good day!

Coconut oil and shea sound like a good mixture as far as consistency. :yep: I don't know about the shea, but the coconut oil melts soon as it hits your scalp. So I think using it by itself would defeat the purpose.

BTW,I'm having a great day. I worked out then gave myself a nice dc.

[/B]

Coconut oil and shea sound like a good mixture as far as consistency. :yep: I don't know about the shea, but the coconut oil melts soon as it hits your scalp. So I think using it by itself would defeat the purpose.

BTW,I'm having a great day. I worked out then gave myself a nice dc.

There's an even skintone challenge going on where this girl (sorry. can't remember the name) did a youtube vid on mixing coconut oil and shea butter. It does mix. You have keep shaking it to blend. I have some in a bottle. Had to shake for a bit and it hasn't separated yet. I still have to reshake before each use, just to be sure. So, I think the oil from the CO keeps it from resolidifying. And I mean I used raw shea butter, which is like a brick. Just a thought.

Back