2010 Sulfur Challenge

The sulfur is within the amino acids within the aloe vera.

http://www.crohns.net/Miva/nutridata/Aloe_Vera_Nutritional_Data.shtml

I drink aloe vera juice daily, straight-no-chaser! :lol:

I also use it on my scalp occasionally.

I began using it a scalp treatment because Surge14 was being discontinued and I needed a replacement. I learned the mucopolysaccharides in Surge14 are also found in aloe vera. I used it as a treatment a couple of years ago but I was not consistent. I started again a few days ago and I seem to be more consistent and enthusiastic this time around.

I'm loving aloe vera! It's an ancient plant native to AFRICA, baby! :yep:
Aloe vera juice tried it :nono: Do it cleanse you?

Just did my tea rinse. Now I'm sitting with HH LTR and AM. I'll apply my homemade sulfur mixture later.

ETA: My hair feels so buttery soft after this combo.

Last edited:
My scalp started flaking recently and I didn't want to resort to the same old active ingredients in drugstore

I made my few-times-a -year pilgrimage to the Black-marketed Asian BSS a ways from my house, an happened to see in the dandruff care section all the sulfur items. I bought Glover's Imperial Dandruff Control Medicine (2.5% sulphur).

Then today I come across this thread (I had no idea sulfur was a growth aid!).

So, even though it's maketed to control flakes, I presume the active ingredient will still have the same growth benefits as sulfur apparently has...?

My scalp started flaking recently and I didn't want to resort to the same old active ingredients in drugstore

I made my few-times-a -year pilgrimage to the Black-marketed Asian BSS a ways from my house, an happened to see in the dandruff care section all the sulfur items. I bought Glover's Imperial Dandruff Control Medicine (2.5% sulphur).

Then today I come across this thread (I had no idea sulfur was a growth aid!).

So, even though it's maketed to control flakes, I presume the active ingredient will still have the same growth benefits as sulfur apparently has...?[/QUOTE]

Yep:yep: care to join us?

Yes, I sure will join you! Thank you for the invitation. :yep:

I will use up this bottle of Glover's before trying other forms of sulfur.

I hope to massage my scalp with it 2x a week, but that's only if I can wash that often (usually I wash once a week). It also has such a strong smell, that I felt I needed shampoo instead of a condish-wash, and I don't like to shampoo too often.

I did a prepoo with amla oils, ayurveda conditioner wash, biotion, ytc conditioner, wheatgerm, dc with ytc mask, redken leave in, satuate wet scalp with sulfur/castor oil mix.

I would like to join. :) I'm currently weaved up and will be until around June. I will be using Sulfur 8 and my own sulfur mix (sulfur powder, avocado oil, castor oil). :)

I've been back n forth on this challenge. Finally read the entire thread yesterday. I have some sulfur products on the way. Beemine's Growth Serum (strawberry kiwi) and Claudie's Scalp Elixir (mango papaya). I have already been using Claudies Hairline & Temple Balm with success. My edges are just so fragile (years of back to back to back...braids) I will baby them forever.

So my plan? Alternate use of Claudie's and Beemine a month at a time. Use 3x/week. I want to take my picture at the end of the challenge :look:. Let me explain why. The first week of Jan 2011 I plan to become fully natural. So I thought it would make more sense to measure my new growth (unstretched bc I plan to wear my hair curly 99.9% of the time once natural) prior to using the products then again in June and finally once I do my bc. Will that work flowinlocks? I hope so. If so, I can measure tomorrow because my hair is airdrying in a bun right now. I'm guessing it is between 3.5-4 inches of new growth bc this entire HHJ I've been getting exactly 1/2 inch a month, no more, no less.

2/16/10--3.5 inches of new growth unstretched

Last edited:
Shay you and i are in the same boat I am getting .5 inches a month to the TEE!! GRRRRR I want more!!!! LOL I am 6mtnhs post and am getting tired of wigs. I think I may be a straight hair natural with spiral twist here and there. I think I am 4B and my shrinkage is killer. I don't plan on chopping any time soon.

I've added aloe vera to my mtg to keep moisture at my scalp. I just spent saturday doing an ApHogee treatment and then deep conditioning my hair. I couldn't resist taking a peek at my hair with my "towel measuring" (like in my siggy pics) and am thrilled to find that I've crossed the towel line. Grow talked me into saying something. I was going to wait until the end of this month so that I can put my month-end pics with it, and that's what I'm going to do (so don't hit me with "this post is worthless without pics). Just wanted to say that I think the mtg is working wonders for me. I've been pretty consistent with it in one form or anther.

I started off with MTG because BT was taking too long to show up and I was anxious to get started. It took about 3 weeks to get the BT. When it came, I switched to it instead of MTG (end of jan). I couldn't "feel" anything and thought it wasn't working so, I added MN to turbo boost. Still didn't "feel" like anything was happening so I added MTG to the mix and stuck with that until I ran out last week. Since, i've switched back to using MTG.

I'm giving credit to mtg but would like to replace the stinky stuff with something that works just as well. I was thinking of switching to Mega Tek/aloe mix but, I have a feeling I should just stick with what's working.

I promise pics at the end of the month but may post one the next time I wash my hair (likely tomorrow night). [ok, Grow? lol] I'm VERY pleased with the pace that my hair is growing.

Shay you and i are in the same boat I am getting .5 inches a month to the TEE!! GRRRRR I want more!!!! LOL I am 6mtnhs post and am getting tired of wigs. I think I may be a straight hair natural with spiral twist here and there. I think I am 4B and my shrinkage is killer. I don't plan on chopping any time soon.

When I chop I will be 18 months post so I'm not sure it will be too big of a big chop. My shrinkage is out of this world too--the fact that I'm telaxed and airdry adds to this. I believe I'm a 3c/4a/4b. I've never had long hair though. My longest has been SL. I'm hoping with the growth aids I will be able to pull my hair back into a bun or pony. If not I might go crazy :wallbash:. Although I've had the bob look in the past which is cute.

Yes, I sure will join you! Thank you for the invitation. :yep:

I will use up this bottle of Glover's before trying other forms of sulfur.

I hope to massage my scalp with it 2x a week, but that's only if I can wash that often (usually I wash once a week). It also has such a strong smell, that I felt I needed shampoo instead of a condish-wash, and I don't like to shampoo too often.

Adding you to the list, welcome!!

I would like to join. :) I'm currently weaved up and will be until around June. I will be using Sulfur 8 and my own sulfur mix (sulfur powder, avocado oil, castor oil). :)

Welcome to the challenge!

I've been back n forth on this challenge. Finally read the entire thread yesterday. I have some sulfur products on the way. Beemine's Growth Serum (strawberry kiwi) and Claudie's Scalp Elixir (mango papaya). I have already been using Claudies Hairline & Temple Balm with success. My edges are just so fragile (years of back to back to back...braids) I will baby them forever.

So my plan? Alternate use of Claudie's and Beemine a month at a time. Use 3x/week. I want to take my picture at the end of the challenge :look:. Let me explain why. The first week of Jan 2011 I plan to become fully natural. So I thought it would make more sense to measure my new growth (unstretched bc I plan to wear my hair curly 99.9% of the time once natural) prior to using the products then again in June and finally once I do my bc. Will that work flowinlocks? I hope so. If so, I can measure tomorrow because my hair is airdrying in a bun right now. I'm guessing it is between 3.5-4 inches of new growth bc this entire HHJ I've been getting exactly 1/2 inch a month, no more, no less.

:yep: Yeah I'm pretty easy... How about a pic. of that ng.:grin::look:

I've added aloe vera to my mtg to keep moisture at my scalp. I just spent saturday doing an ApHogee treatment and then deep conditioning my hair. I couldn't resist taking a peek at my hair with my "towel measuring" (like in my siggy pics) and am thrilled to find that I've crossed the towel line. Grow talked me into saying something. I was going to wait until the end of this month so that I can put my month-end pics with it, and that's what I'm going to do (so don't hit me with "this post is worthless without pics). Just wanted to say that I think the mtg is working wonders for me. I've been pretty consistent with it in one form or anther.

I started off with MTG because BT was taking too long to show up and I was anxious to get started. It took about 3 weeks to get the BT. When it came, I switched to it instead of MTG (end of jan). I couldn't "feel" anything and thought it wasn't working so, I added MN to turbo boost. Still didn't "feel" like anything was happening so I added MTG to the mix and stuck with that until I ran out last week. Since, i've switched back to using MTG.

I'm giving credit to mtg but would like to replace the stinky stuff with something that works just as well. I was thinking of switching to Mega Tek/aloe mix but, I have a feeling I should just stick with what's working.

I promise pics at the end of the month but may post one the next time I wash my hair (likely tomorrow night). [ok, Grow? lol] I'm VERY pleased with the pace that my hair is growing.

I think I'm starting to see some growth from the MTG also. I'm wondering if it would work the same of I poured some of the Cade oil off and replaced it with something that smells better. I know some of the ladies do this already, however I don't know if affects the strength.

:yep: Yeah I'm pretty easy... How about a pic. of that ng.:grin::look:

I will try but getting a pic is so stressful :nono:. I figured once I do my bc I can get my mama to take that pic or someone at work (they know about my hair obsession :giggle:). This ng one I will have to do all by myself.

I will try but getting a pic is so stressful :nono:. I figured once I do my bc I can get my mama to take that pic or someone at work (they know about my hair obsession :giggle:). This ng one I will have to do all by myself.

I added you to the list, welcome to the challenge. Just add your starting measurements to your reggie.

I've been taking MSM internally for a little over 10 weeks now. I stopped conditioning my hair as frequently as before and began using Qhemet products which contain MSM.

Anyway I'm just checking in to say that my hair definitely feels softer/smoother to the touch and is a little more manageable. It hasn't changed my 4b texture, my strands just have a more silken feel to them, it's nice.

I think I'm starting to see some growth from the MTG also. I'm wondering if it would work the same of I poured some of the Cade oil off and replaced it with something that smells better. I know some of the ladies do this already, however I don't know if affects the strength.

:blush:what's the Cade oil? thanks ladies!

Here's what I've read about cade oil "Unadulterated cade oil is one of the best remedies for hair loss, dandruff, hair weakened by dyeing and bleaching, and skin eruptions" (source http://www.aromatherapybible.com/cade.php)

Also, planning to wash tonight so, hint taken. Kids are back at school today so, mtg while working from home today.

Speaking of MTG, I want to share something funny. I didn't know what to expect when I first purchased it, after reading so many posts about it and then seeing the horse pics on the label, it seemed like a miracle grow. At the very least, it seemed really industrial because of the smell. When I first applied it and it started dripping down my neck and shoulders, I freaked out, worrying that I would grow hair on my shoulders. :lachen::lachen::lachen: So I jumped in the shower immediately trying to get the oil off and then worried that the oily water running down my body would cause hair to grow on my body. :lachen::lachen::lachen: Talk about trippin! And I couldn't say anything to dh because I didn't want him to know I'm using horse products to grow my hair. :blush: :lachen::lachen:

Thought I'd share. I LMBO every time I think about how I was freaking out. D'oh!! :rolleyes:

Back