2 years, 7 months, fully natural and approaching BSL (Pic Heavy)

I got to the pictures everyone of them you look totally different! But I must commend you on your hair upkeep and the tenacity of sticking with it. Your growth is amazing to say the least! I just hated that I bc so much off myself! But I can't put it back now. You are really trully a hughe inspiration to me and lots of others! Congrat's girl!!!!! Outstanding progress!:yep:[/quote]

I know. I am one that definitely "wears" what's going on. If I don't eat right, or if I don't sleep right, it shows on my face...bags, water retention, puffy lips, etc.

As for the BC, girl, it can be stressful looking at yourself day to day when you've gone so short, wondering (waiting) if you'll ever get back to a decent length. It can and will happen. But patience and your own form of TLC is key!!!

You are so pretty! Just a natural beauty (can you share your skin care reggie perhaps?). Your fotki is now my favorite ever! And your hair is so beautiful!!!!

Ooh, skin care. Unfortunately, its nothing consistent. But when I do anything, I keep it pretty old school. I use Pond's cold cream twice a day for cleansing (before bed and before heading out in the morning). At night (if I remember), I throw some good old vaseline on my face. In the morning, I use the palmer's moisturuzer. It's pretty heavy, but my skin is super dry. I previously used Aveda Tourmaline Charged moisturizer and loved it, I just haven't talked myself into that expense again. A little steep for my pockets when Pond's does just as well!!

Your hair is so gorgeous, especially love your twists! Can you please share with me how you get your hair so strait? Once I learn how to do that, I won't envy relaxed hair.:lachen:

Oh, let me not take credit for the straightening. My hair is too coarse and thick for me to do it (or want to, anyway). Don't have the patience. I go to a stylist named Lea Leslie. She's on the lower east side in Manhattan. She washes, conditions and detangles in sections, puts the sections in twists after putting on some leave-in conditioner, puts me under a hooded dryer for 15 minutes or so, then blows it out with a paddle brush, then flat irons it. That's it. Not extra pressing comb or anything. And she does the curls with the flat iron. If you are handy at home, I'm sure you could follow those steps on your own. She also uses aveda products along the way.

You are an inspiration! If I had the patience, I too would grow my natural hair out. Seeing your beautiful and healthy hair makes regret getting my first perm at 12yo :(... I miss my natural hair.

Wow, your hair looks great in curls or straight. What is your regimen?

Oh, the regimen...well, it's changed a LOT over the last 2 1/2 years. Just posted above on what I do for straightening. It's not me at all, and I don't straighten very often. I don't have the patience, and I don't want to be pissed all the time (like I am today) because it's raining outside, and I'm stuck inside with a wrap and a scarf :ohwell:

But at the moment, my routine consists of lots of pampering and protective styles. Right now, I usually do braids for a week to ten days, a braidout for a day or two, wash and condition, and then re-braid. If I'm not in the mood for braiding, I'll just put it in a bun. Summer of '07 (I think), I rocked twists going back into tucked in hair. May go back to doing that this summer after co-rinses. My hair loves co rinses in the summer.

Here are my staple prodcuts:

Shampoo - Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Threat
Clarifier - Bentonite Clay
Deep Conditioner - coconut milk + honey + coconut oil (mixed together, hetaed then slathered on), rinsed, then followed by Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose, which I leave on overnight, under a cap and rinse in the morning. Perfectly conditioned hair.
Leave-in conditioner - LOVE Paul Mitchell The Conditioner, although I haven't used it in a minute.
Gel - Currently using AO b-5 Design Gel to do my weekly braids. At an earlier stage, I have used both Ecostyler and IC gels. Don't plan to use those anymore.
Curl Definition Product - Ecostyler, layered over PM The Conditioner or SSF. I HAVE to balance the protein of the gel with the moisture of the conditioner or the SSF. Don't do this anymore, but if I ever need/want defined curls, this is what I would do. Although now, I would just do a braid out. Oh, and Kinky Curly Curling Custard over Knot Today. Without the knot today, I get crunchy hair. But the two together give me luscious curls, and I can get 4-5 day hair out of it!!!
Daily moisturizer - COCONUT OIL - my favorite moisturizer ever. I usually get whatever I can find. Pretty consistent with the Spectrum brand from Whole Foods, but I have purchased the small $2.99 jar of Aceite de Coco from Duane Reade in a pinch. Can't be without it.
Conditioner for Co-washes/rinses - Suave Tropical Coconut
Conditioner for Detangling - Herbal Essences either Break's Over or Long Term Relationship or Aussie Three Minute Miracle. I know the latter is supposed to be a tripment, but I get good slip from it and I use it a lot!!

There have been other products that have come and gone, but these are my staples that I always come back to.

Yay you're a 4a like me! Lol.
I hope my hair is as thick and as luscious as yours when i'm finally done transitioning.
Your hair is so so so beautiful. Congratulations on your progress.

Great progress :) I remember your fotki ages back when I was newly natural; I loved your hair then and it still looks gorgeous now. Well done!

applause.gif

Pretty much sums it up...:yep:

Oh my! I'm just speechless! You have the most beautiful hair. The texture and the thickness. Oh my! I wish I had hair like this.

WOW...such amazing progress!!!! Congratulations...your hair is beautiful! Keep up the great work... :) thanks for sharing!

i've been following your progress for a year now, and WOW is all i can say! I LOVE your hair, it's beautiful, full, thick and healthy. Certainly one of my inspirations!

WOW!! thx for sharing your hair journey! you are pretty and your hair is so beautiful!! you have truly inspired me!!

Gorgeous! Very inspiring. I'm glad that you mentioned that the front of your hair is starting to grow faster and catch up with the rest. My hair have been growing much slower in the front, so your comment gave me hope.

Back