2 years, 7 months, fully natural and approaching BSL (Pic Heavy)

Hi Mekyakakinkerbelle!!!

Would love to see an update on that gorgeous head of hair. You are definitely an inspiration to us all. :)
Are you still wearing your hair in mostly twists or braided protective styles?

I swear this is one of my favorite threads. I love your progress, your hair generally, how fly you were at each stage of your journey, it's just hot all around. Work!

Hi Mekyakakinkerbelle!!!

Would love to see an update on that gorgeous head of hair. You are definitely an inspiration to us all. :)
Are you still wearing your hair in mostly twists or braided protective styles?

Garner,

Yes ma'am. I'd say 80-90% of the time my hair is protected, primarily in twists and braids.

Here's the current routine:

Mainly co-washing.
Twist or braid wet hair with a leave-in conditioner. I was using Mixed Chicks leave-in for a while. I like the slip it gives my hair, BUT, it is not completely co-wash friendly. It has a cone in it, so you will have to use shampoo at some point for build up. In that case, I was using Giovanni's Triple Threat (the tea tree shampoo) to wash every other week to every three weeks. So, even then I'm not using shampoo a ton.

Right now, though, I am back to twisting with KCCC. It is relatively moisturizing, and completely co-wash friendly. Then I use coconut oil on my ends every other night or so.

My current twists (medium sized, I'd say about 20 total) have been in for exactly one week. I don't do mini-twists anymore...ever. Love the look, but don't have the time. Plus, I have found that mini-twists, while they can last much longer, are not that great for MY hair. My hair has a tendency to loc up when in mini-twists if left in for over a week, so I just can't go that route - at least not at this length.

I am gonna update soon. I just gotta find someone here in Atlanta that I can trust to do my trim first. I miss Lea more than ever now (in NYC). Although, I am contemplating just going my old route of trimming my own hair from my twists.

We'll see.

I have a great stylist in ATL who trims natural hair and straight hair well. She only cuts what's needed. She's natural herself. Let me know if you want her info.

Back