2 inches in 4 months Challenge (March - June 2013)

I plan to prepoo under heat for 30 mins with SheaMoisture Anti-breakage mask and cowash with As I Am Coconut Cowash tonight.

I made a kimmay tube leave-in using As I Am, avg, sunflower oil and avocado oil. It felt nice going on and it feels nice today. But I realized this morning I don't want to moisturize all week with a product that has glycerin. Over the days it will start to build up and make my hair feel sticky, greasy and weighed down. I will also have less definition because my hair will be so soft.

Tonight I may try using my AOWC in a spritzer mix instead.

The glycerin definitely keeps my hair feeling hydrated. Even I can't get the same effect with a non-glycerin product, I will just a little glycerin to it, so there is much less build up over the week.

I just applied my sulfur mix to my scalp. It's been 9 months since I bc'd my locs & I'm happy w/ my progress, but I miss my long hassle free locs.

Really want to try manoi!
Apparently it smells bad though?

MixedGirl No not at all!! I will say, I expected it to smell coconut-y, but it's definitely more floral.
The scent is quite strong..I can see how some wouldn't like it. All you can do is try it for yourself!! If you hate it, I'll gladly take it off your hands lol!! It's a really good line ;D

Last edited:
MixedGirl No not at all!! I will say, I expected it to smell coconut-y, but it's definitely more floral.
The scent is quite strong..I can see how some wouldn't like it. All you can do is try it for yourself!! If you hate it, I'll gladly take it off your hands lol!! It's a really good line ;D

Maybe she can go to Sephora and ask to smell the testers or samples. Then she will know whether you can handle it.

Carols Daughters products can be strong for some people.

I want to try it but its expensive and i'm a student!
plus im from England which means its harder to find!

Planning to buy a Hair Therapy wrap soon. Want to try Dcing with better heat than just a towel and plastic baggie.

I made a kimmay tube leave-in using As I Am, avg, sunflower oil and avocado oil. It felt nice going on and it feels nice today. But I realized this morning I don't want to moisturize all week with a product that has glycerin. Over the days it will start to build up and make my hair feel sticky, greasy and weighed down. I will also have less definition because my hair will be so soft.

Tonight I may try using my AOWC in a spritzer mix instead.

The glycerin definitely keeps my hair feeling hydrated. Even I can't get the same effect with a non-glycerin product, I will just a little glycerin to it, so there is much less build up over the week.

I have been spraying a mix of argan jojoba tea tree honey rose water and glycerin, regular water and some AO/WC on my hair...i noticed build up too but I have been cowashing with As I am Coconut Co wash Cleanser and it get a lot of that glycerin build up off for me (I also use it when I use eco styler), plus it is a mild protein. However, I do use AO/WC right after to keep the balance up.

I have noticed that my hair feels moisturized and day by day it gets softer and softer :)

I have been spraying a mix of argan jojoba tea tree honey rose water and glycerin, regular water and some AO/WC on my hair...i noticed build up too but I have been cowashing with As I am Coconut Co wash Cleanser and it get a lot of that glycerin build up off for me (I also use it when I use eco styler), plus it is a mild protein. However, I do use AO/WC right after to keep the balance up.

I have noticed that my hair feels moisturized and day by day it gets softer and softer :)

I think I will try something similar to what you are using. I do have some rose water, I also have a tea blend that I can use. So I will add one of my AO conditioners to that with some sunflower oil. I am going to skip the glycerin for now. I do cowash mid-week but I hate sticky hair :lol: If I can get good results without the glycerin then I am going to skip it. If not I will try just adding really small amounts to see if I can get just enough to keep it moist.

My hair can't take a lot of oil or glycerin.

I under heat for 30 mins with SheaMoisture Anti-breakage mask and cowash with As I Am Coconut Cowash tonight.

@LivingDoll - I did the bolded last night. I also prepared an essential oils hair growth mixture and applied it with the Shea Moisture. I"ve kept my hair baggyed (under a wig) all day.

My hair is not dirty but it is has been itching something fierce. I hope these are "hair growth itches":spinning:

Last edited:
ilong said:
@LivingDoll - I did the bolded last night. I also prepared an essential oils hair growth mixture and applied it with the Shea Moisture. I"ve kept my hair baggyed (under a wig) all day.

My hair is not dirty but it is has been itching something fierce. I hope these are "hair growth itches":spinning:

ilong...yes, i'm sure it's growth itchies!!! I just finished DCing & cowashing. I was determined to do a protective style, so I pulled all my hair back in a low ponytail (fivehead hanging out in all it's glory)and baggied the pony. I put my scarf over it for now but I pulled out my good ole UPA Clip circa 2008. I'll attach it in the morning over the baggy. I got really good growth when I baggy ponied back in the day. I will be bunning for a while since it's all I know how to do.

ETA: Did LCO method after airdrying for a while.
L-Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier
C-Kinky Curly Knot Today
O-Avocado oil

Last edited:
I figured I should do a length check before I put these braids in even though I dont think a month is enough time to see any real progress.....?

Stretched damp hair, from the middle of my head (my finger in the 1st one is my collar bone. Excited to be almost CBL in the back), my nape, the sides and a curl check. I already know how long my bangs are and I havnt decided if I am going to keep them so I didnt do a length check for those but I think they are about eyebrow length.

I think my twists are gonna be like BSB or MBL. Not sure yet. Eh. Ignore my face and my crazy a** ends

4 months post in 5 days. Longest I have ever been without a relaxer.

Attachments

• Photo on 3-12-13 at 9.08 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 3-12-13 at 9.08 PM #2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Photo on 3-12-13 at 9.10 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 3-12-13 at 9.10 PM #2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Photo on 3-12-13 at 9.12 PM #3.jpg
    Photo on 3-12-13 at 9.12 PM #3.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Photo on 3-12-13 at 9.14 PM #4.jpg
    Photo on 3-12-13 at 9.14 PM #4.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2375.jpg
    IMG_2375.jpg
    513.2 KB · Views: 27
I moisturized my hair with a mix of AO Blue Chamomile, filtered water, rose water and hair tea. I parted my hair into rows for flat twists, applied the mix. The sealed with a little sunflower oil. I sealed my ends with Qhemet pomade. I will see how this feels in the morning.

I think this will take some experimenting.

I'm in - if its not too late!

1. Starting pic (required for official challengers)
I take the worst hair photos. :lol: I haven't mastered the art of holding my phone and taking view-able photos yet (no real camera). I will try this week though.

2. Regimen
1. Shampoo once a week + cowash once a week = wash twice a week.
2. DC once a week
3. Keep hair stretched and tangle free
4. Moisturize and seal daily
6. Dust ends every other month.

3. Long and/or short term goals
Full MLB and health ends.

4. Healthy hair journey history
Until I was about 24 I had no idea what healthy hair was. Though I never relaxed, straight hair was always my goal. I used direct heat on my hair constantly from the time I hit my teens until I stopped using heat 10 years ago at 24. I didn't use heat protectant (wasn't really used at the time anyway), never trimmed my ends, rarely deep conditioned and used harsh shampoos weekly. My hair was a respectable APL but it never got any longer.

I've gone in and out of healthy/unhealthy hair due to poor natural hair care practices: abusing the comb and brush, not using the right products for my hair, harsh hair dyes, etc. Over the past three years I've renewed my focus on healthy hair. Health and length is my goal.

Ok. Well the next time you happen to be in France :look: drop in. Ok, sorry, I didn't know you were in England.

We all have items on our wish list. Maybe you can ask for it as a gift.

Haha yes, my boyfriends brother fiance is currently doing a PHD at university of Chicago so I should be going there soon, which is when i'll pick up lots of goodies!

1.As you may see my hair is 4a. I am 100!% natural and I never been relaxed...this is my starting length.

2. My regimen consist of wash 1x a week. following after with a dc for a couple of hours.I moisturize everyday and paying close attention to my ends. I bun 90% of the time.

3. My long term goal is to achieve waist length hair and maximize my thickness..my short term goal is to maintain healthier hair and rreduce shedding

Attachments

• 20130313_092733.jpg
    20130313_092733.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 37
belizeanb said:
1.As you may see my hair is 4a. I am 100!% natural and I never been relaxed...this is my starting length.

2. My regimen consist of wash 1x a week. following after with a dc for a couple of hours.I moisturize everyday and paying close attention to my ends. I bun 90% of the time.

3. My long term goal is to achieve waist length hair and maximize my thickness..my short term goal is to maintain healthier hair and rreduce shedding

Beautiful hair!

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

[QUOTE=Igotstripes;18057423]hnntrr

OT but I love your earrings! Are those gauges?[/QUOTE]

Nope! They are actually extenders. So they are two pieces they go in your ear like regular earrings(like the small metal 18g piece you put the little clasp on). i actually found them at wholefoods for like..30 bucks. I have no idea what the name of the company is though. I have been trying to find them again for the longest time so I can find some more, yet no avail. :(

but thanks!

eta: nvm i found them! http://www.coconutjewelry.com/

twists...... i duno how i feel about them yet. not used to style or volume. uhg. maybe when i have makeup on.. hoping to keep in for 3 weeks but..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 35
[USER=375439 said:
hnntrr[/USER];18065979]twists...... i duno how i feel about them yet. not used to style or volume. uhg. maybe when i have makeup on.. hoping to keep in for 3 weeks but..

They look nice. Take your time you will enjoy them. Why only 3 weeks?

Checking in: I am currently wearing my first set of small twists with braided roots for this year. I am wearing them up for the most part, and my DH loves them. I am not going to cowash and DC every week like I do when I have mini braids but I will do this every other week. I am LCOing every other day and GHEing with castor oil 5 nights a week. Pictures are attached from after I first installed the twists.

Attachments

• 3-7-13--Small Twists w BR (4).jpg
    3-7-13--Small Twists w BR (4).jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 3-7-13--Small Twists w BR (5).jpg
    3-7-13--Small Twists w BR (5).jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 14
They look nice. Take your time you will enjoy them. Why only 3 weeks?

I am doing stuff for school that I need my regular hair out. ( I will notttt be able to fit all this under a wig). They didnt take long to install (2 1/2 hours), so I can redo them later. Dun wanna leave em in too long and I am still uncomfortable with them.. i duno. Haha mostly I have to take them out for school.

Back