14g Gelatine = Thicker Stands

Does anyone remember a product called Cortexx? I believe it was made by Alberto Culver (VO5, Nexxus etc) back in 2000-2001 it had tons of gelatin in it and was marketed to stop breakage. Now that I remember this is the only product that really had me retaining like crazy. The only product that I can find that has gelatin in it is Tresemme Anti-Breakage which is made by Alberto-Culver as well. I think putting this on top of existing hair as well as taking supplements will help a great deal.

Thank you SO much. I have been whining about the loss of my beloved Cortexx for maybe 10 years now. This was so good for my hair by making it strong and allowing me to retain length. I will try this Tresemme Anti-Breakage right away!!!

Has anyone been mixing the odorless, tasteless knox with juice and drinking? If so, how is it? Is it really tasteless? Are u able to drink it w/out it clumping up? Do tell please

Has anyone been mixing the odorless, tasteless knox with juice and drinking? If so, how is it? Is it really tasteless? Are u able to drink it w/out it clumping up? Do tell please

I haven't been drinking it but I have been dissolving it in hot water and using it in my conditioners. It works so well this way too. I have less breakage and my 7 months of new growth seem soft still. I will continue to do this for a while.

Last edited:
i have been taking Puritian's Pride Hydrolyzed Collagen for the past 6 months and trust me it has thickened my hair back to where it was.

From Puritan's Pride http://www.puritan.com/collagen-512/hydrolyzed-collagen-plus-c-004596#siblings

Product #004596

HYDROLYZED COLLAGEN PLUS C (180 Tablets) Restore Strength and Flexability to Hair, Skin and Nails This 100% pure collagen protein supplement provides the major building materials for growth and maintenance of nails, hair and skin. Collagen is also an essential component of muscles, tendons, cartilage and teeth.
Buy 1 Get 2 Free Only $19.99 For 3
Buy 2 Get 4 Free Only $39.98 For 6

Supplement Facts
Serving Size 3 Tablets
Servings Per Container 60

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Vitamin C 30 mg 50%
(as Ascorbyl Palmitate)

Sodium 25 mg 1%

Hydrolyzed Collagen 3,000 mg (3g) *

L-Ornithine 45 mg *

*Daily Value not established.

DIRECTIONS: For adults, take three (3) tablets twice daily on an empty stomach. As a reminder, discuss the supplements and medications you take with your health care providers.

Other Ingredients: Cellulose (Plant Origin), Dicalcium Phosphate, Croscarmellose, Silica, Vegetable Stearic Acid, Vegetable Magnesium Stearate, Cellulose Coating, Glycerin. Coated for ease of swallowing

I just hate that these are the biggest pills they have size wise. Between this, my Super-Biotin and Silica it has helped my hair with thickness and softness.

What stores carry this?

What stores carry this?

I always got it online at Puritan's Pride but try any vitamin shop and ask them if they sell collagen tablets or hydrolyzed collagen. I usually make out like a bandit on Puritan's Pride website and have 3 huge bottles that will last me for a minute.

I bought some unflavpured gelatin recently online and did not realise 5lb would be so much. I don't like it. It smells like calves feet- horrible! Anyone ever smelled cow feet being cooked? When I mixed it in my smoothie or weight watchers shake the smell was gone but it made it into a mousse and I was still imagining the smell and gagged.

A friend of mine told me that they girls who do gymnastics use the gelatin on their hair mixed with a little water and it hardens the hair like stone, to keep it in place. I guess it's like a protein so I would suggest using a moisturizing conditioner afterwards, like Joico K Paks Intense Moisture if you decide to use gelatin as a protein treatment. You can buy regular gelatin from the grocery(the plain kind)

A friend of mine told me that they girls who do gymnastics use the gelatin on their hair mixed with a little water and it hardens the hair like stone, to keep it in place. I guess it's like a protein so I would suggest using a moisturizing conditioner afterwards, like Joico K Paks Intense Moisture if you decide to use gelatin as a protein treatment. You can buy regular gelatin from the grocery(the plain kind)

I heard this too but I don't use it that way. I mix mine with a little warm to hot water and mix in some conditioner with it, apply to my hair and DC as usual. My hair never turned hard. Today, I added this mixture to some ayurveda powders (2 Tbs of kapoor kachli, 3 Tbs each of brahmi and Kalpi Tone) and I'm now DC'ing for an hour with heat. I will follow it up with a little Joico Silk Results conditioner, some cool acv rinse and voila. The last time I did the gelatine/conditioner treatment, I loved it. I had virtually no breakage and my hair was soft probably because I ended the treatment with a cool acv rinse.

I just remembered something. My aunt eats jello and her nails and her hair are long and thick. I would ask her what can make your nails stronger and she said jello. Also, she cuts her hair every two weeks because it grows that fast!

Thank you SO much. I have been whining about the loss of my beloved Cortexx for maybe 10 years now. This was so good for my hair by making it strong and allowing me to retain length. I will try this Tresemme Anti-Breakage right away!!!

Girl I wish they didn't discontinue this! Please let me know if Tresemme Anti-Breakage results are comparable to Cortexx. I will be testing this con out as well.

Gelatin is LIKELY SAFE for most people in food amounts and POSSIBLY SAFE in the larger amounts used as medicine. There's some evidence that gelatin in doses up to 10 grams daily can be safely used for up to 6 months.

Gelatin can cause an unpleasant taste, sensation of heaviness in the stomach, bloating, heartburn, and belching. Gelatin can cause allergic reactions in some people.

There is some concern about the safety of gelatin because it comes from animal sources. Some people are worried that unsafe manufacturing practices might lead to contamination of gelatin products with diseased animal tissues including those that might transmit mad cow disease (bovine spongiform encephalopathy). Although this risk seems to be low, many experts advise against using animal-derived supplements like gelatin.

Special Precautions & Warnings:
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of gelatin in medicinal amounts during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.

Gelatin is LIKELY SAFE for most people in food amounts and POSSIBLY SAFE in the larger amounts used as medicine. There's some evidence that gelatin in doses up to 10 grams daily can be safely used for up to 6 months.

Gelatin can cause an unpleasant taste, sensation of heaviness in the stomach, bloating, heartburn, and belching. Gelatin can cause allergic reactions in some people.

There is some concern about the safety of gelatin because it comes from animal sources. Some people are worried that unsafe manufacturing practices might lead to contamination of gelatin products with diseased animal tissues including those that might transmit mad cow disease (bovine spongiform encephalopathy). Although this risk seems to be low, many experts advise against using animal-derived supplements like gelatin.

Special Precautions & Warnings:
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of gelatin in medicinal amounts during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.

Thank you. I will then only eat lots of jello and use the powdered jello w/ my ayurveda products. Again, thanks!

Yes it works
I've been taking gelatin caps 3x/week and my nails grow like crazy my hair strands are thicker but I also started wgo on my hair last month. I have to cut my nails down very 2 weeks and they're strong unless I bash them they don't break easy.

I used to take a hair vit with extra gelatin in it and used a nail polish with gelatin and I can attest that it is very good for thickening and strengthening hair and nails. I will start adding some gelatin powder to my ayurvedic treatments and conditioners. I would also like to take some in pill form.

This coupled with taking silica should yield good results. Thanks yall for bumping this oldazz thread, lol. I'd forgotten abt using gelatin. I need to consistently note these types of things in my hair journal!

Last edited:
Back