Yogurt for Straightening/Loosing curl pattern in 4b naturals...

i keep seeing bits about lactic acid being used to balance ph in hair and skincare products, many times in curly hair "smoothing" and defining products like Curl Junkie Curly Boost Curl Enhancing Spray. Do you think it's because of the loosened curl pattern effect that it's used in these kinds of products or is it just a ph thing?

I just go to Kroger to get my yogurt. I am still doing this every week and leaving the mixture in for about an hour. I did it last night after shampooing with the shikakai hair soap. I doubt if I will ever stop using yogurt.

I'm going to have to try the yogurt/sour cream conditioner concoction on my daughter's hair. :scratchch

If I try it on my hair then I would only apply it in the back half so it can match the already lose curl pattern of the front half of my hair. :scratchch

I have some buttermilk powder that I've been eying for a couple of weeks now - the second ingredient is lactic acid, and I think the first is milk solids - I think.

I'm thinking of taking that, making a paste with it and some lime juice, molassess, honey, coconut milk, and a touch of conditioner, slapping it on, and seeing what it's talking about.....:yep:

Lord, it's only Monday, I really shouldn't be plotting on mixes this early in the week!!! :lachen:

So, I tried this last night - 3 heaping tablespoons of powdered buttermilk, a healthy glug of molasses and another good sized glug of honey, a tablespoon of henna, a splash of alma oil and mixed. Added about an equal amount of conditioner, then a little shikaika and baking soda to make it foamy. Left it in my hair, then rinsed out - it was definitely less curly - almost wavy, and it 'hung' more than my hair usually does.
Wasn't as moisturized as I had hoped, and I suspect you do have to use it regularily to get a long term result - but I think it would be FABULOUS to do right before getting your hair straigtened - I think it would reduce the amount of heat needed significantly.

NW: I think you may have used too much buttermilk powder, molasses and honey. I would do no more than a heaping teaspoon or two of the BMP and a level teaspoon of the molasses and honey. The ingredient that I use the most of is a moisturizing conditioner, which is my base.

i keep it simple like some suggested. i didn't have enough yogurt so i added sour cream to my yogurt and added a little conditioner and i left it on for more than 1 hr. i was busy..

i see a definite change in my hair texture. more curl definition and shine. also not as tangly...

Beautiful Beginnings makes a children's line of products that all contain cocount oil and milk thistle. I used this on my daughter's texlaxed 4a/b hair and her hair came out fabulous. I definitely think that there is some connection between the milk thistle and the loosing of her curl pattern. In my Fotki there are photos of her hair when I do it with these products. It goes from curls everywhere to after comb out being almost straight. Try these products out I've found them to be great for her hair.

I tired it. Its a keeper, works better than the coconut-lime mixture (IMO). In addition, I dont have to wait for it to seperate/thicken, I can just slop it on.

I used Yogurt, B-Maple syrup and Buttermilk, the first time. The 2nd time, Yogurt, B-Maple Syrup and Capilo Milk and Honey.

THANKS for posting.

So, I tried this last night - 3 heaping tablespoons of powdered buttermilk, a healthy glug of molasses and another good sized glug of honey, a tablespoon of henna, a splash of alma oil and mixed. Added about an equal amount of conditioner, then a little shikaika and baking soda to make it foamy. Left it in my hair, then rinsed out - it was definitely less curly - almost wavy, and it 'hung' more than my hair usually does.
Wasn't as moisturized as I had hoped, and I suspect you do have to use it regularily to get a long term result - but I think it would be FABULOUS to do right before getting your hair straigtened - I think it would reduce the amount of heat needed significantly.

I did this on my hair right before I flatironed, except I just used whole milk. My NG was soft and I only needed to glide the flatiron over the NG once before it was silky straight. I have like 5 inches of NG now and I could not tell the difference between the relaxed hair and my NG. This is a staple for me now if I plan to flatiron.:yep:

NW: I think you may have used too much buttermilk powder, molasses and honey. I would do no more than a heaping teaspoon or two of the BMP and a level teaspoon of the molasses and honey. The ingredient that I use the most of is a moisturizing conditioner, which is my base.

What moisturizing conditioner do you use?

Whatever is handy: Tresemme Moisture Rich, Nature's Gate Aloe Vera Moisturizing, SalonCare Honey and Almond, VO5 Honeydew Smoothie, VitaPlus Herbal Organics, White Rain Sunflower Fresh

Sorry i took so long. I mix about a cup of coconut milk powder to 2 limes' lime juice add just enough water to make a thick paste, like cake batter leave overnight. *before use let warm up to room temp that stuff is coldddd.

Since then I have tried mixing yogurt and molasses in my deep conditioner, as per adw425 and that has worked also, I would say better than the coconut milk; the curl was still stretched but my hair felt much better (more moisturized) after than the coconut milk.

adw425 is def. on to something... yogurt, molasses, buttermilk all have high amounts of lactic acid and seem to have a loosening effect on the hair...next I will try sour cream, that too is supposed to have high amount of lactic acid
My bad...I had to read back through the thread about the heat no heat thing... I need to try this! I have been working non stop with no time to think of pampering myself :ohwell:

Last edited:
I tried this yesterday, and it worked for me!! I added almost 150g of full fat natural yoghurt to NTM conditioner with some EVOO and honey, mixed it together and applied it to my head after I shampooed. I left it on for an hour. My hair was so easy to detangle! I braided my hair with some more EVOO and air dried.
This morning when I took my hair down, my hair was soooo soft, and not at all tangled! Normally after a wash, I have to detangle AGAIN with a brush! IT did loosen my texture, so my hair seems a lot longer than usual, which is an added bonus!!!! I'm going to be doing this every week now!!!! :grin:
Oh this sounds so yummy. If this works like you all say it does what am I going to do with all my PJ stuff in my bathroom? I am going to have to have a sale for real! Can you imagine, me with no hair products, just some yogurt in the fridge and one or two conditoners!!! :look: My family would have me investgated and arrested as an impostor immediately :rolleyes:

I did a quickie experiment with just plain yogurt mixed with silicon mix. I could feel it soften the curls as I was putting it on my hair. I only left it on for 20 mins but I can definately tell it loosened my curl pattern. I'm going to do a better mix next time and leave it on longer!! This is so good!!

Tonight, I'm using yogurt in my deep conditioner mix for the third time (it's in my hair right now). It really works. My hair feels stronger, looks shiner, and has looser curls after using it. It's definately a keeper. :grin:

Whatever is handy: Tresemme Moisture Rich, Nature's Gate Aloe Vera Moisturizing, SalonCare Honey and Almond, VO5 Honeydew Smoothie, VitaPlus Herbal Organics, White Rain Sunflower Fresh
Which of these has the thickest consistancy?
Which do you think is the most moisterizing?

Oh this sounds so yummy. If this works like you all say it does what am I going to do with all my PJ stuff in my bathroom? I am going to have to have a sale for real! Can you imagine, me with no hair products, just some yogurt in the fridge and one or two conditoners!!! :look: My family would have me investgated and arrested as an impostor immediately :rolleyes:

:Run::lachen:

Here's my testimony:
Yesterday I had a bad hair day & I was really frustrated. So I stopped by Wal-mart on the way home & picked up some Dannon Full Fat Plain Yogurt & some lime juice. When I got home, I mixed a cup of the yogurt w/a few tsps of the lime juice & about 20 or so pumps of my Giovanni Tea Tree Conditioner. I sectioned my hair in 4 & applied the mix like a relaxer w/an applicator brush. I put on a plastic cap & left it on for a little over an hour. Then I rinsed it out. I could tell immediately that my texture was different. I put some more conditioner on for a few minutes & rinsed & got out of the shower. Once I got out of the shower, my hair really didn't look any different. Again I was frustrated so I just put my hair in 2 ponytails, baggied & went 2 bed. This morning when I took my baggy off, my hair was still stretched & when I took the ponies out, it was definitely stretched. So I decided to try my hand at another puff & there was the proof! This does work. I have pics in my Fotki (www.public.fotki.com/lovinglance)- couldn't upload them here. The 1st puff pic is from 2 days ago & the last one is from today. Next time I think I'll be a little more creative with my mix - maybe add some SAA & some molasses - maybe even a little buttermilk (have some left over from my Christmas Red Velvet Cake:lick:). I'm going to try & do this @ least weekly.:yep:

Here's my testimony:
Yesterday I had a bad hair day & I was really frustrated. So I stopped by Wal-mart on the way home & picked up some Dannon Full Fat Plain Yogurt & some lime juice. When I got home, I mixed a cup of the yogurt w/a few tsps of the lime juice & about 20 or so pumps of my Giovanni Tea Tree Conditioner. I sectioned my hair in 4 & applied the mix like a relaxer w/an applicator brush. I put on a plastic cap & left it on for a little over an hour. Then I rinsed it out. I could tell immediately that my texture was different. I put some more conditioner on for a few minutes & rinsed & got out of the shower. Once I got out of the shower, my hair really didn't look any different. Again I was frustrated so I just put my hair in 2 ponytails, baggied & went 2 bed. This morning when I took my baggy off, my hair was still stretched & when I took the ponies out, it was definitely stretched. So I decided to try my hand at another puff & there was the proof! This does work. I have pics in my Fotki (www.public.fotki.com/lovinglance)- couldn't upload them here. The 1st puff pic is from 2 days ago & the last one is from today. Next time I think I'll be a little more creative with my mix - maybe add some SAA & some molasses - maybe even a little buttermilk (have some left over from my Christmas Red Velvet Cake:lick:). I'm going to try & do this @ least weekly.:yep:
Girl your hair looks so good!! I am so glad that I have decided to go natural. I put some plain yogurt in my conditoner and let it sit for an hour, my TWA was soooooo soft!! And after 3 days it is still soft. It's amazing how that works. This weekend I'm going to mix some developed henna in there and leave it on all day while I'm doing house work :yep: This is like THE find of the century.

Please let us know how your next experiment goes!!

And what finishing products do you use on your hair, it's so pretty!!!!

Ooohwee, Nakia, you can really see the difference in your hair! Thats so cool! And girl, I had never checked out your fotki - you have a lovely head of hair!

Girl your hair looks so good!! I am so glad that I have decided to go natural. I put some plain yogurt in my conditoner and let it sit for an hour, my TWA was soooooo soft!! And after 3 days it is still soft. It's amazing how that works. This weekend I'm going to mix some developed henna in there and leave it on all day while I'm doing house work :yep: This is like THE find of the century.

Please let us know how your next experiment goes!!

And what finishing products do you use on your hair, it's so pretty!!!!

Thanks so much! Henna is next on my list as well. But I'm thinking that I'll go w/Cassia b/c I'm not so much interested n the color as I am the health benefits. As far as finishing products, really I don't use any. Last night I even 4got to do my oil rinse b4 getting out of the shower. I simply used my Giovanni leave-in & my MN mix & I sealed w/Vatika. This morning I simply took my baggy off, did my puff, sprayed my temples w/Surge & that was it - no products.

Ooohwee, Nakia, you can really see the difference in your hair! Thats so cool! And girl, I had never checked out your fotki - you have a lovely head of hair!
I totally agree!! After this post I went to your fotki. Your hair is beautiful. I'm texlaxed but I'm going to do EXACTLY what you did for my natural DD.

I would love to try this but it's hard to find full fat yogurt anywhere. Where is everyone getting their full fat yogurt?

It is hard to find, I found mine at my local health foodstore, I got my yogurt from a place called Earth Fare (Its just like Whole Foods). I went to Wally world and everything was lowfat or nonfat. So I stopped by Earth Fare and there it was.

I would love to try this but it's hard to find full fat yogurt anywhere. Where is everyone getting their full fat yogurt?

Try greek yogurt it is extremely thick and full fat, I have never tried the treatment but I will try it today with greek yogurt. If you live in a city with trader joe's or whole foods, you can definitely find it there.

Peace and happiness,

It is hard to find, I found mine at my local health foodstore, I got my yogurt from a place called Earth Fare (Its just like Whole Foods). I went to Wally world and everything was lowfat or nonfat. So I stopped by Earth Fare and there it was.

Thanks CoCo! I'll check out Trader Joes or Whole Food, hopefully they'll have it.

Back