Would you marry a guy who was a DJ?

vevster

Steve Harvey's daughter just married one and I just heard another girl engaged to marry a DJ.

I thought being a DJ is a side gig not a legit occupation.

I wouldn't. They'd be too involved in the party life for me.

But DJs can make a good living. I know several who get steady gigs and live quite nicely.

Djs make more than you think. My ex-boo was one. He charges $125 an hour and does multiple events daily. Some events require deposits as well. Is the issue his job or how much money he makes?

Don't feel like editing but he's in the navy and does this mainly when he's home. So yeah it can be a career.

Ideally no but you can never say. Not about money but the lifestyle that comes with it. Similar to those rappers and all the crap you deal with being their spouse.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

lol I just knew this would be about them. you stay in someones business girl lol
but I don't think thats his main thing. Also, every time I've seen him dj she's been right there with him lol
personally no cause I don't like being at parties so why would I want my dude there during the time usually for couples?

Any side gig can be turned a fulltime job if you work on it. Most homebased business' s start off as a side gig. Plus folks need to pay taxes.

I worked in radio fo 10+ years and the actual salaries weren't high, but private parties and appearances is how they made their money. I know you are talking about independent DJ's

lol I just knew this would be about them. you stay in someones business girl lol
but I don't think thats his main thing. Also, every time I've seen him dj she's been right there with him lol
personally no cause I don't like being at parties so why would I want my dude there during the time usually for couples?

lmao..okaaay :lol:

Depends on my age. In my early 20's... why not. In my late 20's, no way. At that point I'd only want to date people that are good prospects for building a family.

Even if he does make good money... I wouldn't want my husband away from the family working ungodly hours at parties and nightclubs. Even if he snagged a radio gig... He'd still be expected to host parties and attend a lot of late-night events. No thanks. :ohwell:

ETA: I see the thread says marry not date so.... please replace the above response with "NO." :lol:

Last edited:
People that make a decent legitimate living to take care of their families are a-ok by me! People who commit to and marry the person they love also get a head nod. Combine the two and all is well IMO.

Now …. dudes who are lawyers, doctors, well-paid whatevers who think they are God's gift and never commit to one woman or who have multiple OOW kids just cause are douche bags IMO. Likewise are dudes who engage in questionable activities to make a living -- I won't care how much they make..even if it was Jay-Z type money.:look:

That said, I'm not going to knock it if someone else marries a DJ. No more than I would a person who marries a plumber, a construction worker, etc.

They would not get shade from me.

Now...
Nope!!!!!! I don't want someone that's in that type of lifestyle -- traveling, out all night, partying with women, lots of drinking, etc.

I will admit, years ago I met a dj from a radio station up here and I was smitten with him :love:. Like, I melt when I met him. I use to be drawn to those types for years.. now, I wouldn't even want one of them and I'm not really attracted to them as much. I'm more turned on by a black man that's a bit more straight laced. Two summers ago I went to the Wendy show and the DJ she had there was FINE as helll and swagged outttttt. Def looked like an industry dude. But yeah, these aren't the marrying types, you just have fun with them, sleep with them and move on.

Last edited:
DJ does not automatically mean working in a club. It can be a very lucrative career especially if you do corporate events and high end weddings. $1,000 - 1,500 a night for 5 hrs of works is not so bad. Product launches can also be quite lucrative. Add special effects and you are definitely in the right business. 4 or 5 events a month can net you $5 - $6,000 or more if you have the right connections and are good at your job and can travel once or twice a month for two days. Not many people make that kind of money working a regular 9 - 5. He'll be home most of the time to irritate you.

i know many professional dj's that make good money butttttttttt

the lifestyle and being away from home and the party atmosphere would be a bit much for me as i ilke my boothang aroundddd andddd i usually tend to be apart of my boothangs career and djing errr night i just couldn't--i would be annoyed after awhile--for some odd reason i know a few couples and the hubby dj's as a hobby--its like a new thing with hubbys nowadays iunno...

Last edited:
I date a DJ before. The party thing didn't seem like an issue to me at all. Maybe because I was always partying myself. Ahhhhhhh my 20's :lol:.

oh yeah! what kinda dj is he? i would bone a deep house dj every.single.night. and attend every.single.show.:yep: i love to party and i love to dance.

popular djs make good money but most djs aren't popular. so he would need to have some other source of income unless he could survive and take care of me :look: off of that money alone.

My boo does it on the side. He's a finance something or other during the day. I think it's cute, it's one of the things I liked about him. I don't know if I would have dated him if he did full time though.

nadaa16

I'm not is someone's business if you tell me to follow u on Instagram, twitter etc and I see what I see.

DJ does not automatically mean working in a club. It can be a very lucrative career especially if you do corporate events and high end weddings. $1,000 - 1,500 a night for 5 hrs of works is not so bad. Product launches can also be quite lucrative. Add special effects and you are definitely in the right business. 4 or 5 events a month can net you $5 - $6,000 or more if you have the right connections and are good at your job and can travel once or twice a month for two days. Not many people make that kind of money working a regular 9 - 5. He'll be home most of the time to irritate you.
I thought about this after I made my post. One of my high school teachers always bragged about how he was able to put his daughters through school with money he made DJing Bar Mitzvahs for rich kids in the area. Definitely not the party lifestyle I was referring to in my other post :lol:

nadaa16

I'm not is someone's business if you tell me to follow u on Instagram, twitter etc and I see what I see.

ooh I was joking girlie. Im clearly in their business to and I understand if they didn't put it out there you wouldn't know. lol
I think its delivery so matter of fact

Do they have to report earnings to the IRS? How would they know?
I'm going to DJ-ing school STAT!

Back