Would you Get a Jehri Curl?

Would you get a Jehri Curl?

• Yes! Pass me the Soul Glo!

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • No! This ain't 1988.

Votes: 96 84.2%
  • Maybe...I miss my old one/wonder what its like.

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Leave my Jehri Curl alone. (I already have one)

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lonelysky

Baby Chick Gate 2011
Would you ever get a Jehri Curl (or get one again as it were)? Do you have a Jehri Curl?

If yes, why? If no, why not?

I would not get one. I was one of Jehri's Kids back in the day (when it definitely was NOT fashionable), and I do not wish to revisit that chapter of my life.

I never had one, but I must admit I admire that guy on soul glo with his swinging hair. I would have to research and see if there are damaging or toxic ingredients (most likely). If so, no way, and what would I do with my sheets? I couldn't just lay down on my couch when I felt tired. OH NO!

Never again.

My mom slapped one on my hair back in the late 80's right before I started school :nono:

Never again.

My mom slapped one on my hair back in the late 80's right before I started school :nono:

At least you had one when it was FASHIONABLE. My mom slapped that junk on my hair back in '92 and I had one until I BEGGED to get a relaxer in '97.

If I cared to relax my hair, I WOULD get a jheri curl without a second thought. I was never ashamed of my jheri curl. I didn't care for the juice dripping all over the place so I didn't use loads of it. And I know it's not necessary for it to be that wet--my Mom's jheri curl looked like just a curly afro coz she used the gel and combed it out into an afro. It looked like a wig she owned and it'd be so funny how she got a compliment on the wig and she corrected the admirer and told her it was a wig. Then when she wore her own hair, the same lady remarked on how natural and beautiful that short wig was, and my mom corrected her and said it was her hair. LOL

But I LOVE my natural hair too much to consider changing it, so I'll just revisit my memories for my jheri curl experience.

NOOOOoooo! I never had one and would never get one!!

I'd rather get a relaxer/texlax first! lol My older female cousins had them back in the day and they all looked a mess. We sometimes find old pictures around other relative’s homes and they literally dive under the couch in embarrassment. LOL HAM's!!!!

I saw this one girl on Fotki. She had one (think 98 or 99). It looked so weird on her. I laughed for hours! Mean I know, but who does that?! It looked just like a jerry curl too fresh out the 80’s. She had the shag in the back and er'thang! I just kept thinking, "whyyyyyy...why would you do that…why"!!LOLOLOOL *pause of silence* Uhh...I hope she not on here lurking *nervous laugh*

Never had one, and never would want to get one :nono: I don't like having my hair to be wet all the time. I would think my scalp would have too much product buildup from all the gel and juice up in there!

Nvr had one and nvr will. I rlly just dont like the look. And in high school, this girls hair spontaneaously combusted one morning during devotions (we stood/sat outside for devotion)

also ppl used to walk around with rags on their shoulder to catch the jherri juice .... soooo not cool.

maybe they have improved the process now, but ummm yep, I'll pass

I do lub me some jheri juice now in my natural hair though DWL

LOL @ the horror w/r/t jheri curls.

Nakialovesshoes got a Curly Perm (the term used for Jheri Curl in the UK back in the day) and everyone was oohing and aahing about her hair. I think the juice drippin' fashion gave jheri curls a bad rap. Nakialovesshoes' pics aren't loading for me on her blog but I think this might be an image of it freshly done (thanks to Google images):
images

Nakia, I'll be happy to take it down if you don't want it up. Please let me know.

Anyway, here's the thread she posted when she got it done so you can see the positive responses she got on her hair after she got her "jheri cu.." I mean "Curly Perm". (Ahem :look: )

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...discussion/347033-pics-my-new-curly-perm.html

Nope. There's something about that process that's worse than relaxers. I don't think all relaxers are bad but I've never seen a jeri curl situation that ended well - on the heads of the people I know - it just looked like the hair gets sickly after a while. Plus you have to live with glycerin in your hair - even if you use it sparingly (not "follow the drip, follow the drip" routine). I did use wave nouveau for many years as a leave in even though I didn't have a curl I was only doing it coz I didn't know about other options but overall I didn't like that product and not looking to go back.

Nonie ... that actually looks cute.

looks like they may have improved on the process LOL

Actually, my hairdresser in the UK had a similar jheri curl in the early 90's. I discovered him when my over processed mess was breaking badly and went to see him. He as such a pro at hair and his curl was shoulder-length but when stretched would be down his back. He explained to me that a good curly perm should have that elasticity. I've asked him to send me a photo. We'll see if he will. :ohwell:

I think over-processing might've been partly to blame (I know mine was just hanging lazily). Also over-juicing made it kinda gross...but I really don't see how different it is from the type 3 curls people ooh and aah about on forums. I bet my bottom dollar with all the info we have about hair now, instead of just doing what we're told (like use grease or your hair falls off), if we got JCs now, they'd look as good as Nakia's. I don't think the process has changed. I just think no one is trying to compete to see who drips the most anymore. IIRC, Nakia explained it as I remember it. The product used were the same and I doubt they've changed.

I have a friend who was a mix of East Indian/Ethiopian/Italian/Saudi...(I don't know if I left anything out) but when her straight hair was wet, it got curly. So she used to use my jheri curl juice (or was it the gel?) to get it to look the way I see type 3 hear looks when wet or defined with gel. She used to get a lot of compliments.

I also think that (and did back then too) that jheri curls set on small curlers looks icky. I loved the bigger curls (like Nakia). Even when I had a TWA, I never let them use the small curlers. Basically hair was relaxed straight and then curlers put in and allowed to set. Then Neutralizer poured over hair while the curlers were still in to set.

The difference between a JC and texlaxing was your curls were actually defined with a JC. With texlaxing, you loosen your natural curl and if you have tiny curls like mine, your hair just looks like it's blown out. If you have bigger curls, your hair may look wavy but it won't look as defined as with a jheri curl which resembles a set with a curling iron.

Nope. There's something about that process that's worse than relaxers. I don't think all relaxers are bad but I've never seen a jeri curl situation that ended well - on the heads of the people I know - it just looked like the hair gets sickly after a while. Plus you have to live with glycerin in your hair - even if you use it sparingly (not "follow the drip, follow the drip" routine). I did use wave nouveau for many years as a leave in even though I didn't have a curl I was only doing it coz I didn't know about other options but overall I didn't like that product and not looking to go back.

IIRC, maybe it's because after your hair is relaxed straight, and then curlers put in...you sit under a dryer for the curls to set before neutralizer is poured on? Of course I'm trying to remember this from the late 80's early 90's so I may be off about the process.

I should have made the responses public. I'm curious who said yes. :lachen:

I did. Ain't no shame in my game. I wish I had more pics. This is my pushed back jheri curl puff.
Attwentycloseupnofacevi-vi.jpg

I wasn't into the drip. I just used enough to moisturize and get the definition and combed through, then used an elastic or tie to push hair back leaving a few strands out in front. As you can see, my hair was overprocessed...but had I not left the UK, the plan was to transition out of this and go to Frank Bisson for his version of a curly perm. It wasn't juice dripping (and no it wasn't Wave Nouveau either). But it was curly and elastic and just purrty.

I never had one and never liked the look..so my answer is NO..plus my natural curl looks way better that an unnatural curl could ever..

If I cared to relax my hair, I WOULD get a jheri curl without a second thought. I was never ashamed of my jheri curl. I didn't care for the juice dripping all over the place so I didn't use loads of it. And I know it's not necessary for it to be that wet--my Mom's jheri curl looked like just a curly afro coz she used the gel and combed it out into an afro. It looked like a wig she owned and it'd be so funny how she got a compliment on the wig and she corrected the admirer and told her it was a wig. Then when she wore her own hair, the same lady remarked on how natural and beautiful that short wig was, and my mom corrected her and said it was her hair. LOL

But I LOVE my natural hair too much to consider changing it, so I'll just revisit my memories for my jheri curl experience.

ITA@ the bolded. A lot of people don't realize that the Jheri Curl is versatile. I remember being able to just blowdry my hair if I wanted a straight style. Also, a jheri curl doesn't have to be dripping.:lol: You can have a Leisure Curl or Wave Nouveau (both of these are dry curls). If I ever decide to chemically alter my hair again, I probably would consider it.:yep:

I did my time in the 90's as far as I'm concerned I've served a life sentence. I had a jheri curl, hawaiian silk, and the wave nouveau.

Back