Would You Allow Your Dh....

How can you even police something like that? Would it be better if he just lied and said "sure, honey" but still kept at it? And then what, she's gonna have the coworkers spying and reporting back to her? So messy. This sounds irreparable to me bc:

a) this is something only he can control (which he clearly doesn't want to);
b) he has boundary issues; and
c) she doesn't trust him.

Recipe for disaster.

Does it matter that she's attractive? Or single?

If she was ugly and married, would your friend be okay with her DH yukkin it up? Or ugly and single, attractive and married, or any combination.

But anywho. My cause for concern is her DH's resistance. Now her approach could have been super demanding or condescending, so maybe resistance was his INITIAL reaction.. but if she went to him with a calmer spirit and expressed her feelings, then maybe he would have a clearer head.

But if he still pushes back, then yeah, that's a huge issue.

At the end of the day you can't police your mate and monitor every convo they have with other people at work, online etc. All you can do is set your expectations and then trust them. If you don't trust them, then you're done before you even started.

@PJaye,
Your questions are the very reason why I can't give her advice.... Yes, he has other friendships with other female co-workers, including the ones that spilled the tea. No, she's not really close to his female co-workers except one (but not like best friend close they've double dated), there are other single women (& according to DW not necessarily unattractive) in the office... So, I wonder if it's because she's attractive and friendly. Yes, she always monitors DH but she is usually not this direct and insistent. I think the co-workers put a 'bee in her bonnet'.

This is very telling. The co-workers doing the snitching could very well be jealous of the new lady because she's getting all of the attention that they once received. Either way, I'd be cautious of everyone.

This is very telling. The co-workers doing the snitching could very well be jealous of the new lady because she's getting all of the attention that they once received. Either way, I'd be cautious of everyone.
I agree with all of this. Maybe something happened with him and one of them?? Either way this doesn't sound good. It's time to bring out the two can play that game DVD lol

to be friends with an attractive female coworker? My girlfriend and her husband of 15 yrs are having major disagreements over him being friends with an attractive co-worker. My friend met this co-worker in person at her DH's company party along with other co-workers she has met previously. So the other co-workers were sure to inform her about the friendly conversations her DH has with this co-worker, mostly initiated by DH. The overall character of this co-worker is that she is professional, attractive, very well liked by the male and female co-workers and SINGLE. My girlfriend and her DH has had major disagreements about this 'issue'. She doesn't want her DH to associate with the co-worker unless it is absolutely necessary for work. DH is defiant and feels that my girlfriend is trying to control him and is being unreasonable. My girlfriend has threatened to leave him, and he has dug his heels in. Lastly, I must add that the co-workers who informed my girlfriend about the friendship also mentioned that DH looks at this co-worker as if he is attracted to her, but the co-worker has yet to notice or just doesn't show any interest. Does girlfriend have the right to dictate whether her DH has a friendship with this particular co-worker?

I would allow it although allow isn't the true word for it. He's going to do whatever he wants and it's pretty clear he ain't thinking about her feelings. Honestly, his defiance would be alarming to me and I would re-evaluate the relationship. *Her attractiveness is of no consequence because plenty of men cheat with women who aren't as attractive as their wives or SOs. The true issues are: he initiates (flirty?) interaction with the co-worker, his disregard for the wife's feelings and his outright refusal to adjust his behavior after he was confronted.

I can't speak on whether the coworkers were being messy because on one hand we expect people to mind their business but then get resentful if we find out friends/associates were smiling in our faces knowing full well our spouses were screwing everything with a hole. The coworkers may feel there's enough personal history to pull her aside and let her know the truth or she may have a sweet, inviting demeanor. I'm inclined to believe whatever they told her is just the tip of the iceberg. Almost everyone talks at work, hangs out, goes to happy hour etc. What is really going on that they felt the need to give her a heads up?

I feel like your friend has a right to be concerned. I'm not a person who thinks men won't notice attractive women or have female friends but it sounds like he is lusting after his coworker and going out of his way to speak to her. I'm a Cap and the quickest way to get kicked out of my life is to publicly humiliate me and this scenario sounds quite embarrassing. The fact that he's crushing on some woman, googly eyes and all, is offensive enough but he's being sloppy with it, too?!

And what does being friends with this woman entail? Texting? Talking on the phone? Going to lunch? My SO has female friends but they go months without speaking, don't go anywhere together and he's very transparent about his interactions with them. This man would not be able to rest at night if he thought I was upset with him so I can't imagine him dismissing my feelings about one of his friends or coworkers. Actually, I think that's the part that's getting under my skin - not that he messed up - but that he won't correct his behavior.

*Side note: I say her attractiveness is of no consequence because a man who has given himself permission to cheat is not holding out for the day he runs into Halle Berry at Whole Foods. I used to work with a short, overweight woman who looked like queen of the trailer park. She had the attention of several men at work because she used to demonstrate that her head game was so good she could make a man come in 3 minutes or less.

You cannot stop free will. She's already lost the battle and may soon lose the war. I wouldn't leave him nor make any demands on him. But what I would do is start getting my financial affairs in order. If not this woman it will be another one. If you have to demand your husband change the way he acts around another woman and he in turn fights to have the right to do so...it's a wrap.
I agree with this. He is going to cheat sooner or later (if the woman reciprocates). If I were her, I'd be figuring out my next step in life.

*Side note: I say her attractiveness is of no consequence because a man who has given himself permission to cheat is not holding out for the day he runs into Halle Berry at Whole Foods. I used to work with a short, overweight woman who looked like queen of the trailer park. She had the attention of several men at work because she used to demonstrate that her head game was so good she could make a man come in 3 minutes or less.

o_O :nono:

It is interesting that attractive woman are immediately perceived as a threat. Being that they are attractive they may be less flattered by the attention, as it probably happens all the time, and more so just annoyed that these sleazy men keep coming on to them when they are just trying to do their job. OP noted that the woman didn't return his interest so she's probably just being polite at best.

I would've said she was probably overreacting until you mentioned the husband refused to back off the friendship. Whether I'm right or wrong, if I ask my husband to do something because it made me uncomfortable then he will do it. Not battle me about it esp if it involved another woman.

THIS. He is okay with her leaving so that he can talk to the friend? Major side eye. When I say this I mean that he is digging in his heels about something like this? Then that means it is more serious than she thinks. Because any sane husband (or boyfriend) would think, "It is not that serious, screw it Imma just keep it professional so as to not cause conflict".

I agree that whether I'm right or wrong, I would expect fh to back me if I'm uncomfortable just as I would do the same for him. As long as it's nothing that is controlling , or bringing me outside of my comfort level in ways I don't believe, and are reasonable requests then I would make him a priority and honor his requests. If I do this....then he should be willing to make certain that I as his future wife, feel save , loved, taken care of, and that he respects my wishes.

The fact that he's balking at her feelings (which she's made known are serious if she's contemplating leaving) gives me pause and makes me wonder about him. The only exception is if she's always giving out ultimatums on everything (then I understand why he refuses to stand for her drama). Otherwise if she is a reasonable wife who has requested that he back off a relationship and he's balking then she needs to consider that maybe there is more interest then he's saying).

Last edited:
You cannot stop free will. She's already lost the battle and may soon lose the war. I wouldn't leave him nor make any demands on him. But what I would do is start getting my financial affairs in order. If not this woman it will be another one. If you have to demand your husband change the way he acts around another woman and he in turn fights to have the right to do so...it's a wrap.
THANKS is not enough. This is a hot mess waiting to happen.

I imagine this isn't the first time your friend's dh has displayed poor boundaries. The co-workers probably feel uncomfortable about the situation. Messy? Maybe. But it sounds like they are trying to be helpful to her as well. I'd prefer that to them being quiet and her being the last to know. I'm sorry for your friend. How hurtful for him to dig his heels in over this. If I were you I'd tell her that she's wasting her breath. He's going to do what he wants. She can't monitor him 24/7. I think one of the most important traits in a husband is good boundaries and making his wife a priority. And as @Sumra said, self regulation.
Wow everyone is on point to day. 100 percent agree with all of this: Good boundries, making wife a priority, self regulation
:goodpost:

As someone else mentioned, it seems like he's looking for a way out. The woman at work doesn't even want him, yet the wife is focusing her energy on "breaking up" a relationship that doesn't exist. It sounds like he no longer cares about her feelings. It also sounds like she's on hyperalert which makes me wonder if he's cheated on her before or given her reason to think he has or would.

The only other reason I can see him doing this is if she's one of those snooping through emails, checking his phone, "every-women-that-looks-at-him-wants him" types and he's had enough.

Maybe they can try counseling, but that depends on how long he's been checked out of the marriage and if he's willing to try to fix the problem.

ETA: To answer the question, you can't "allow" an adult to do anything. People do what they want to do. Your job is to control your own actions.

For some reason I don't think he's looking for a way out, but he just DGAF because the wife is just nagging. She needs to shake it up a bit and see how he responds. Dress up more, switch up her schedule, new hair style and a carefree attitude. Try and be a bit "secretive" and see if he don't start checkin for his wife. If that doesn't pique his interest, then he truly no currr and she should start planning her exit because his behavior will probably worsen. I think he'a acting reckless because he's certain that his wife ain't going nowhere but crazy.

It doesn't sound as if this woman is really a threat. If she were, they'd be fuggin already. She probably don't want him OP, is your girlfriends DH a high earner, really good looking, got swag or is he an average dude?

Heck nawwwww-aw-aw
Lol I wouldn't threaten to leave him that's a bit much and she would be looking crazy with egg on her face if Dh was like well bye
I would definitely express my discontent with the situation
Dh probably felt your friend was questioning his judgement he probably doesn't even care about speaking with ole girl that much but because your friend basically for but him he's like I can do what I want lol

But what do I know never been married lol

People throw the word "friendship" around too lightly.:nono: I'd definitely have a problem if my SO/DH developed a friendship with a female co-worker after I came into the picture. I'm jealous and possessive like that.:look: But that doesn't sound like that's what's happening here. OP are they hanging out during off-work hours? Is he doing favors for her above and beyond what's appropriate? Are there texts/calls at weird hours? Is he confiding in her? If not, I'd say there isn't a friendship he's just being 'friendly.' Now whether or not he's crossing the line depends on their relationship, how strong the trust is, if he's cheated before etc. But I'm throwing huge shade at the co-workers for telling the wife because they seem like they want her to think something inappropriate is going on. They need to cut that out.

OP are they hanging out during off-work hours? Is he doing favors for her above and beyond what's appropriate? Are there texts/calls at weird hours? Is he confiding in her? If not, I'd say there isn't a friendship he's just being 'friendly.' Now whether or not he's crossing the line depends on their relationship, how strong the trust is, if he's cheated before etc. But I'm throwing huge shade at the co-workers for telling the wife because they seem like they want her to think something inappropriate is going on. They need to cut that out.
@candy1214 He is a nice looking, well groomed, professional guy. Not drool worthy but I'd say most women would find him attractive.
@ScorpioBeauty09 I am sure DW is only aware of one-on-one office conversations ... I don't think they have been on private lunch outings or she's just not aware of any...she hasn't mentioned and I am quite sure DW is not aware of any interactions outside of work, with the exception of any department/company outings.

I spoke with her last night and shared some of the responses with her. She became upset, especially when I broached the subject of 'him possibly not really feeling the marriage right now'. We had to hang up. One thing she did mention was that his explanation for his behavior was simply "that's how he feels". I don't quite understand what that means. To me, he just shut down on the matter. I was able to convince her to hold off on any plans of leaving (for now) and to get her finances in order, first. As far as him being a cheater I don't know of any situations, and I am not sure if she would necessarily tell me especially about any past affairs. I personally wouldn't put it past him (or any man actually), although he doesn't seem like a ho, but I think he would be very discrete.

@GetHappy2014
If I were you I'd just encouarage her to get her finances in order and keep her eyes and ears open. She should let him talk and behave how he chooses and observe and take note. You should tell her that you trust that she will make the best decision in the end. That's all you can really do. Be a friend and part of her support system. I'm sorry she is going through this.

@GetHappy2014
If I were you I'd just encouarage her to get her finances in order and keep her eyes and ears open. She should let him talk and behave how he chooses and observe and take note. You should tell her that you trust that she will make the best decision in the end. That's all you can really do. Be a friend and part of her support system. I'm sorry she is going through this.
@hopeful Girl, I hear ya. I really wish I could provide her with answers..... But I think I'll just be there if she needs a shoulder... 'cause I am not good at this advice thing:confused: She might end up leaving him for something I said.

@GetHappy2014
It doesn't read like he's cheating but it does seem like he's enjoying the attention from this new colleague.
Something else is probably going on in the marriage where he isn't feeling needed/wanted at home so he is looking elsewhere....maybe wondering 15 years later about the road not travelled.
And since he dug in his heels, my guess is he's getting some emotional lift from his interaction with the attractive coworker.
Your friend isn't telling you everything and she probably won't.

Back