WL 2011

Here are my braids ladies :yep:

1109gl4.jpg
OKAY partner-looking good! I will have mine braided by the 1st (extensions) Yours look soooo nice and natural. Are you in the 2011 braid challenge?

OKAY partner-looking good! I will have mine braided by the 1st (extensions) Yours look soooo nice and natural. Are you in the 2011 braid challenge?

casey3035,

Thank you Hun, I wanted to join but the challenge already started and it says that you had to join before the beginning of this year. So the answer is no.

I am excited to see your braids. Make sure you keep them, moisturized :yep:

Last edited:
fell off with my DCs the past couple of weeks so this past weekend I DCed over night
I getting a much needed trim in March so I will be baggying as well.

@PeculiarDaye, thank you for the warm welcome back! i missed y'all!:yep:

and thank you for the fab eye candy!!!:grin:

wow, you've got ALOT of hair!!!!

your braids are nice and chunky!:lick:

when you take them down, get prepared for a mane!!!:spinning:

grow,

You were missed :yep:

Your welcome.... Thank you :yep: I couldn't do the small ones again, I didn't want to take all that time, so I think the thick ones are fine :yep:

I'm prepared :yep: I'm actually quite excited for it, the water will bring the size down some :lol:

:hiya: Ladies!!!! I'm checking in...I haven't straightened since New Year's and I don't plan on straightening until April. I'm currently wearing my hair in my trusty wash and go pony. How are y'all doing? I miss you all!

Checking in....I just wanted to let y'all know that I think I found my staple protein conditioner....ULTRA SHEEN DUO TEX!!!! I never heard of it until I read about it here on LHCF. Since my hair had been straight for about a week, I wanted a good protein conditioner. I had some Aphogee, but it never really did anything exciting for me. I used the Ultra Sheen and followed it with Yes to Carrots conditioner, and I can't believe how soft my hair is with NO SHED HAIRS.

I also think I'm gonna start baggying my ends because I don't wanna lose them. I'm determined to get to WL this year and my preference is before Labor Day because I will be going to Texas then.:grin:

Hey 2011 Waistlengthers!

Can you guys recommend a really good deep moisturizing conditioner? I think I may need it to counteract shedding. I hate when I touch my hair and strands come out - HATE IT. Despise it. The hairs are just 'releasing' on their own, without my tampering with them...they'll just hang on til i pull them off. That's what I have now, and I haven't been through this in a long, long time (since I was relaxed, really).

I know my hair has had a lot of protein, so I'm sure it needs some moisture.

Hey 2011 Waistlengthers!

Can you guys recommend a really good deep moisturizing conditioner? I think I may need it to counteract shedding.

I know my hair has had a lot of protein, so I'm sure it needs some moisture.

I really like Aubrey's GBP and Honey Suckle Rose Conditioners. I add a tea rinse with Agave or Honey and that really helps to combat my shedding.

11 weeks post. My new growth is fierce. I guess I'm 4a texture. Tryna go 6months lol we'll see!
4a4a948b-a6d5-ae3d.jpg

@bigbrowneyez, honey that ng is poppin!!!!!:grin::yep::lick::drunk:
when you perm, you are gonna have a new head of hair at a totally different length!!!!
and this is only 11 weeks post?! girl, watch out....after 6 months, you're gonna have ALOT of hair to perm!
good luck with your stretch, too!
i'm considering stretching to 4 months....i did that last year and liked the results, although there was so much ng, it wasn't as easy to get the perm on and off as it is when i would touch up every 8-10 weeks. (i went 17 weeks and 5 days last year)
do you have any stretching tips to share?
i'm basically LIVING in ps's. that's my plan.
when i have to go out for work, it's gonna be baggy bun time.
when i'm at home and just running errands and such, i plan to keep my hair in 4 braids (like now) and do all my cowashing, ayurveda pastes, and oiling/buttering with the braids to diminish breakage/tangles issues.
i only finger detangle at this stage of the game (i'm 9 weeks post now)....no more combs or brushes until after perming.
oh, and i will henna with my buddy JJamiah this monday, and to alleviate the problem i had with breakage when i stretched last year, i plan to go heavy on the moisture, moisture, moisture! (the henna should keep it from being too much moisture=limp hair)

which brings me to my next share: @Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll, the ladies have given you some great moisturizers!:yep:

when i'm in a heavy need of moisture, i add 1-2 juiced bananas (a good substitute for juicing them is the baby food puree') to my AO HSR, oils (both ceramides and shaft penetrating ones like evoo, avocado), honey, aloe vera juice and pure vegetable glycerine!:lick:

i mix it in a big jar (so i can put any leftovers in the fridge because of fresh elements used which must be kept in the fridge if not used within 24 hrs.) and then i apply it centimeter by centimeter, just like a perm.
i apply it to dry hair so it can soak it all in then i wrap my head in saran wrap to keep the heat in.
i cover it with a turban for sleeping and keep it on as long as i can.
i promise that if you do this a couple of times during the week, your hair will immediately begin to change. this saved me from a bad protein overload last year!:yep:

@PeculiarDaye, i'm good sugar thanks, and you?
i've got my 4 ponytails in with which i did my ayurveda last night and i'm about to go put my ayurvedic herb oils on and get a nice massage in!
then i'm going to cover it with a bag, put on a black scarf and a black hat and go get some things done around town!

hhj ladies!

Hey PD, Grow and the Waistlengthers *waves*

- Well, I, for one, am doing GREAT! I decided to take your advice and moisturize my hair deeply. The BSS didn't have a lot to choose from and I wasn't paying $28 bucks for Mizani Moisturfuse and I didn't know much about it....so...I bought Motions CPR. I've used it in the past and remembered it to work pretty good. I used Lucky's Homegrown Steam Treatment and my hair feels like old times. I think I need maybe one more treatment and we should be good to go. I'll know for certain once it's dry - but it feels so much better - and I could detangle with my fingers again.

I'm in a good place.

Thanks for all your help. And keep the moisturizing deep conditioner suggestions coming - I need 'em!

oh yeah, Grow, your recipe sounds like the Caramel Treatment - and it's delish (for your hair, lol). I was gonna whip some up this weekend, as a matter of fact. Those baby food bananas are the bomb - i kinda think that and honey are key to the recipe's effectiveness.

@PeculiarDaye, i'm good sugar thanks, and you?
i've got my 4 ponytails in with which i did my ayurveda last night and i'm about to go put my ayurvedic herb oils on and get a nice massage in!
then i'm going to cover it with a bag, put on a black scarf and a black hat and go get some things done around town!

hhj ladies!

grow,
I'm glad to know your doing great! How did the nice hair massage go? I don't massage my head, I go through tangles... Maybe Ill massage it while its in braids, and be gentle so I don't pull any hairs :yep:
I'm doing good thank God and thank you for asking. trying to keep my braids tied down, and debating on how long I should keep them in... working out can cause my head to itch so I'm trying to make sure it feels moisturized and when Its starts to itch bad where I feel like I have to scratch I'm either going to wash it and just leave them in.. or take them out :yep:

Hey PD, Grow and the Waistlengthers *waves*

- Well, I, for one, am doing GREAT! I decided to take your advice and moisturize my hair deeply. The BSS didn't have a lot to choose from and I wasn't paying $28 bucks for Mizani Moisturfuse and I didn't know much about it....so...I bought Motions CPR. I've used it in the past and remembered it to work pretty good. I used Lucky's Homegrown Steam Treatment and my hair feels like old times. I think I need maybe one more treatment and we should be good to go. I'll know for certain once it's dry - but it feels so much better - and I could detangle with my fingers again.

I'm in a good place.

Thanks for all your help. And keep the moisturizing deep conditioner suggestions coming - I need 'em!

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll,

Im also glad to know your doing great, I'm glad your finding good deep conditioners that are feeding your hair the moisture it desires... I hope you continue to find more... :yep:

I hope you continue doing well, and keep getting closer to your goals.

Happy Hair Growing Ladies

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll, i am soooo relieved to know your hair is back to its lovely self again!:grin:

whew! i really feel for you because when my hair gets dry, even a brillo pad is easier to work with, so i know it's no joke!:lachen:

so i've got a fellow banana baby food lover? yum yum!!!:lick: it's FAB!
i'm about to juice 2 over ripe bananas to put in my ayurvedic paste today, too!:yep:
and i could not believe the effect pure glycerine has on my hair either!:rolleyes:
i guess it's the humectant qualities that it has which just melt the hardness of my brillo pad!:yep: lol!

PeculiarDaye, i'm glad to know you are doing well and keeping up with those workouts, too! :grin:good on you! :yep:they say that excercise really helps with hair growth too......i need to get on it!:ohwell:

i've been getting some itchies a little bit, too and it's not a regular thing, but it reminds me that i need to put some neem in my next ayurveda paste.
have you ever tried it? it's really effective!
they also have neem oil, which will work just as well.:yep:
today i did a tea rinse (dried herbs like nettle, horsetail, rosemary, lavender, fenugreek) and put some essential oil drops in it.
one of the eo's i used was tea tree oil, which they say is very effective at stopping the itchies.
now my head is tingling (i added other eo's too, like peppermint and eucalyptus) and getting all ready for the paste.:yep::lick:
i hope you can find something that works well....ah, they also say garlic can help the itchies, too!:grin:
thanks for asking about my little massage honey! it went well, though i only did 15 minutes. since i'm 9 weeks post i only massage in braids so that i don't get tangles, so if you try it like that, it can work out well.
the key is just like you said...being gentle with our hair because when we think of it as aa loving act, we don't pull and tug.....it's kinda like a meditative excercise for my mind, too. keeps me calm.:yep:

hhj ladies!!!

@grow, thanks girl! i'm not an expert on stretching lol this is my first long stretch. I've always normally relaxed around 10 weeks. But it does start getting rough around that time. So for these next few months PS will definitely be a large part of that. I'm about to do some two strand twists and leave those in for about 2 weeks (ill post pics if they come out nice!). Then march 10-20 i'll have it straight (i'm gonna blowdry and straighten it) cause its spring break!!! (med school style at least lol). When I get back tho, i think i'll rock cornrows (on my own hair) to get me through the last couple months. Hopefully I wont experience any breakage, if so i'll get a relaxer. My new growth gets soooooooo dry, so I started using Soft Sheen Carsen Shea butter green tea oil moisturizer on my scalp and new growth and that's helped a ton! So that's definitely become a staple for this stretch. And my BedHead Self Absorbed conditioner and Aubry Organics GPB and HSR are other staples. Good luck with your stretch too! I truely think it does promote thicker hair if nothing else. At least, I've noticed that for my hair. U have such an encouraging spirit Grow, and its much appreciated :-D

I lied a little. I said I wouldn't do pics till june :look: I didn't think anyone would mind.

I henna'd yesterday and wanted to show off!

Attachments

• Hair shot 2 11 7.jpg
    Hair shot 2 11 7.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 57
  • hair shot 2 11 2.jpg
    hair shot 2 11 2.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Hair shot 2 11 4.jpg
    Hair shot 2 11 4.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Hair shot 2 11 5.jpg
    Hair shot 2 11 5.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 57
  • hair shot 2 11 6.jpg
    hair shot 2 11 6.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 54
grow
classychic1908, hi! you mentioned you've used henna periodically, could you please offer some examples of how you used it? (mixed with...., with cassia and/or indigo, how long on the hair, brand?) thanks!

I usually just mix henna (Jamila) that I buy from the local Indian grocery store with hot water and 1/2 teaspoon acv. I usually go through 150 to 200 grams per application. (my hair is mbl ish, thick and dense) I sleep in it overnight and cowash it out before DC. I have tried a few things mixed in, Amla, Brahmi, lemon juice, acv, paprika, molasses, black tea, strong coffee, and corn syrup, just not all at once. lol

I need to henna now, but I don't think I have enough. Either I will make a run to the store tomorrow or I'll use up what's in my freezer mixed with Aubrey's GBP today. (I've never done this before, so we'll see how it goes!!)

Wish me luck, I'm going to attempt my first rollerset this weekend!:grin:

Last edited:
bigbrowneyez, ooooh, maybe we can be stretching buddies on our way to WL hair?:look:

you're 11 weeks post and i'm 9, so that's not so far.
one thing though, i do not under any circumstances think i can stretch 6 months, lol!:lol::nono:
i wish i would try it:rolleyes:, but for now, just to make it up until the beginning of May, will be huge for me!

we also share a love for AO products!:grin:
i use their whole line of conditioners and have made them staples for their organic ingredients, especially since my hair does not do well with cones.

i like your game plan and cannot wait to see the pics of your beautiful 2 strand twists!:yep::spinning::drunk::grin:
heck, i'm still droolin over that gorgeous braid out a few pages back!:yep::lick:

you're doing good to look after the moisture and already be aware of the potential dryness for the ng!!! good on you!!!
we've got to be especially careful about that from here on out.
cornrows will surely keep the knotting down and enable you to get straight to the roots for keeping the ng supple and soft.
i also like JBCO on the ng and need to remember to do that Kimmay leave in thingy about the KCKT + aloe vera juice + evoo and JBCO as when i remember to do it, it always works wonders for softness!:yep:

i'm so happy to have a potential stretching to WL buddy in you!!!:spinning:

I lied a little. I said I wouldn't do pics till june :look: I didn't think anyone would mind.

I henna'd yesterday and wanted to show off!

@JJamiah................

when i saw your pictures, the gasp i made was so audible that my hubby rushed over just to see if i was alright.............

then he saw what i was gasping over and immediately understood!:lol:

thank goodness he shares my enthusiasm for this hhj!:grin:

JJ, your hair is G.O.R.G.E.O.U.S.!!!!!!!

thank you so very much for posting pics!!!!!!!:yep:

now, share with us the low down on exactly what you did!:lachen:
yes momma, give up the 411 cuz you know we all want our hair lookin' that pretty, too.....and your EX henna buddy (:rolleyes::lol: ) needs to know!
(you know i'm playin' witcha bout the EX part!....tho u did dump me:lachen:! and i hope you know i totally undstand...did you get my pm telling you to start without me and wishing you luck with it on facebook?)

Last edited:
classychic1908 I decided only to HIP and nothing further Scouts honor, Thanks so much for the compliment :)

grow I told you I was so stressed. I pedicured and had a facial and I was still in need of relief. :)

Thanks so much

I washed my hair first, with ION clairfying shampoo 2 times, then used Hair One to clean it as well, then I used APhogee 2 minute dried my hair, applied my henna, put on a HYDRAcap for 4 hours, rinsed until water ran clear then with conditioner I don't really care for but was moisturizing I rinsed some more. I then applied the INdigo, mixed with water, becareful you want this pasty, no watery, I sat with that 1.5 hours and then rinsed it out until basically clear then used Hair One argan oil and washed 2 times, I put a generous amount of Alter ego on and sat under my steamer, then rinsed and applied Silk Elements Megasilk on under a Foil cap for over an hour, Rinsed, dried under a hooded dryer then blow dried the rest. :)

@grow

I usually just mix henna (Jamila) that I buy from the local Indian grocery store with hot water and 1/2 teaspoon acv. I usually go through 150 to 200 grams per application. (my hair is mbl ish, thick and dense) I sleep in it overnight and cowash it out before DC. I have tried a few things mixed in, Amla, Brahmi, lemon juice, acv, paprika, molasses, black tea, strong coffee, and corn syrup, just not all at once. lol

I need to henna now, but I don't think I have enough. Either I will make a run to the store tomorrow or I'll use up what's in my freezer mixed with Aubrey's GBP today. (I've never done this before, so we'll see how it goes!!)

Wish me luck, I'm going to attempt my first rollerset this weekend!:grin:

wow @classychic1908, you must have alot of experience with henna!:yep:

you've put so many things in it so now i'm anxious to try!
(especially after seeing @JJamiah 's drop dead gawgeous pics! we were gonna henna together even through different time zones and parts of the world this monday, but she couldn't wait and now i see why!:grin:)

it's a good thing u mentioned the freezer part because having ordered 500 grams (only now i know it's way too much) at least it can be frozen, whew!

i've read where many ladies have used the henna after the freezer and had great results!:yep:
some have even reported that it turned out better than the regular way...kind like those good tasting leftovers or 2nd. day hairdo'!:grin:

the best of luck to you girlie, and please remember to let us know how it went!:yep:

grow

I used Paprika, Black Tea, Sugar, OJ, Yes to carrots conditioner, and Amla Oil My hair felt amazing afterwards. I did freeze mine as well.

Now that indigo had my hair feeling like brillo :look:

@grow

I used Paprika, Black Tea, Sugar, OJ, Yes to carrots conditioner, and Amla Oil My hair felt amazing afterwards. I did freeze mine as well.

Now that indigo had my hair feeling like brillo :look:

JJamiah, thank you for the breakdown on the ingredients!:yep:

indigo giving brillo feeling to hair?!

anybody else ever get that from the indigo? uh oh.....:rolleyes:

but let me tell you honey, it SURE does not LOOK like brillo!
it loos soooooooo soft and silky!!!!

ooooooh, and that wave pattern in your first pic with the center paart....how did you get that done? because if i remember correctly, you are permed, though i don't know how post....:rolleyes:

whatever you did, girl it is B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L.!!!!!

@JJamiah, thank you for the breakdown on the ingredients!:yep:

indigo giving brillo feeling to hair?!

anybody else ever get that from the indigo? uh oh.....:rolleyes:

but let me tell you honey, it SURE does not LOOK like brillo!
it loos soooooooo soft and silky!!!!

ooooooh, and that wave pattern in your first pic with the center paart....how did you get that done? because if i remember correctly, you are permed, though i don't know how post....:rolleyes:

whatever you did, girl it is B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L.!!!!!

grow, the indigo felt like that when I rinsed it out, I quickly added conditioners to my hair to get some slip.

I am 34 weeks post, that pattern is my new growth begging to be relaxed LOL

Back