WIG CHALLENGE 2010

lwilliams- You sound like me, I have been known to destroy the cardboard boxes as soon as they come- to confiscate the evidence of more wigs. I tried 2 different things this week with my braids. I sprayed Aussie Hair Insurance a few times, and a few times I coated my braids with a creamy moisturizer. I think I liked the creamy moisturizer better. The ends of the braids I either saturated with argan oil or castor oil.

I made the mistake of making a deal with a friend where if she didn't buy anything from VS, I wouldn't buy another wig for a month (we're both broke).

Hairsisters is having an Outre wig sale and I want one of their lace fronts. We're going to ignore the fact that it's straight hair and I struggle with straight hair. It's so darn cute.

Sorry, I had to share. Carry on.

My Bali Girl came in Friday, but my other is on back order.
I will put Bali Girl on Tuesday after my wash and make her me.

lwilliams- You sound like me, I have been known to destroy the cardboard boxes as soon as they come- to confiscate the evidence of more wigs. I tried 2 different things this week with my braids. I sprayed Aussie Hair Insurance a few times, and a few times I coated my braids with a creamy moisturizer. I think I liked the creamy moisturizer better. The ends of the braids I either saturated with argan oil or castor oil.

oh Selfstyled, don't get me started! lol
I purchased one half wig a few months back and couldn't believe how easy, cute and inexpensive it was. Now I've received 7 in the mail in the last 10 days! I managed to open all the packages when no one was around but now I'm struggling on where to keep this collection that exploded all of the sudden.

I'm thinking about setting them up on wig heads in the guess room closet. DH never goes in there. Well, probably not till I start keeping wigs in there. lol

DH didn't know about the first unit. I'm always making concoctions for my hair so he just thought I did some really good treatment. He found out a month later and when he did it was all jokes. He was home with DD and found it so he just had to put it on and take photos of himself.

Marrying a guy with a sense of humor is all good till he starts playing with my wig! lol

Here is another question...

Does anyone have a SO/DH that doesn't know they are wigging it?

I'm not really hiding the fact but my wig styles are somewhat close to my own length. I also keep it on till bed time. I just don't think the braids I have in are that attractive after sitting under a wig cap for a few days.

Last edited:
I put my hair in 4 cornrows and this is my second day wearing Bali Girl, I will take pics tomorrow and post for yall. I will wear my hair like this until nxt Tuesday then wash and redo it.

Sabina
[/URL][/IMG]

This is Sabina.
I really like it but I'm having a tough time with blending. I think it's a combination of user error and my hairline starting so far back.

anyone have any tips?

---still trying to get photos on here.

Last edited:
So how did you fix the Bali Girl?

I apologize I over looked this...

I brushed her, sprayed her, pinned her tucked her and after that she was wearable :)

My husband liked it and I liked it enough to walk out the door to class. :) She is my least favorite, but I will wear her just to get my monies worth!

Hi, I sent you a pm last night about joining up- can my name please be added?

thanks!

Your hair grew so much in 3 months!I'm eyeing it jealously :lick: what's your regime and how did you manage your hair while it grew?. Sometimes I get disheartened by all the women with long (anything past neck length is long to me) hair and find it difficult to imagine my hair growing even to neck length :sad:
Just also wondering what you ladies do with your hair under the wig?

Last edited:
Lwilliams- I like Sabina, she looks very cute on you. When I don't feel like blending I will just rock my half wigs with a black headband. I tie down my hair with a scarf for 30 min just to get my front edges to lay down- put the wig on and go.

Carolinetwin- I understand your frustration, hang in there and I am sure that your hair will reap the benefits.

I tried cornrows under my wig last week, I liked them until it was time to detangle. I lost so much hair. I know it's normal to shed, yadda, yadda. But I felt so uncomfortable with that amount of shedding. I don't have that much hair to begin with. This week, I am moisturizing and sealing every day and putting my hair in 1 or 2 plaits, my hair is doing much better this way, feels more moisturized, and shedding is back to normal.

I would love to join this challenge as well. One important tip that I learned the hard way is to remove the combs from the wig. I experienced some major damage from one small comb in the back of my head. HTH

Your hair grew so much in 3 months!I'm eyeing it jealously :lick: what's your regime and how did you manage your hair while it grew?. Sometimes I get disheartened by all the women with long (anything past neck length is long to me) hair and find it difficult to imagine my hair growing even to neck length :sad:

I braid it and just spray it with moisturizer 2x/day.

I think I am up for this challeneg. Can I be added.. I just bought a NICE lacefront synthetic weave and had her cut the lace out for me. I plan to co poo and deep condition twice a week. I have a question... can keracare silken seal be used on dry as well as wet. also what do you seal your ends with? I am conrrowing myhair but not sure how to seal and what to do with the ends of my braids once i cornrow my hair back

I think I am up for this challeneg. Can I be added.. I just bought a NICE lacefront synthetic weave and had her cut the lace out for me. I plan to co poo and deep condition twice a week. I have a question... can keracare silken seal be used on dry as well as wet. also what do you seal your ends with? I am conrrowing myhair but not sure how to seal and what to do with the ends of my braids once i cornrow my hair back
I seal with EVOO, castor oil or coconut oil

When I wore wigs I used a pin and pinned them up on braids, about two. I'd make two plaits out of my braids, then pin it up

Hi there! I know you weren't talking to me :lachen: but I just wanted to say that your hair can and will grow to neck length and longer :yep: After my BC my hair was about the length you have in your avatar. Now look at where I am three years later. If you hang in there and stay consistent with your reggie, you will be :gorgeous: in no time at all. Feel free to PM me any time if you have questions :yep:

What I do under my wig is pretty simple. When I cornrow my hair up, I make sure to massage some deep conditioner into it. I use Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner most often. Then I seal it with coconut oil. Other oils can work just fine as well. Then I arrange my cornrows to look as flat as possible by sticking the "tails" here and there, lol. After that I put on a stretchy net.. the kind you can use as a weaving net. They are like $4 each and you can wash them and reuse them over and over. Then I tie on something made of silk or satin... or even sateen lol like a durag! (make sure it's black!!!) and on goes the wig.

Anyhoo, I am fighting the temptation to buy MORE wigs! I have a zillion that just don't look good on me (Hello Bali Girl :nono:) and I am just fighting to keep away from hairsisters and savebeauty :pray: :chocbunny:

Sigh.

Last edited:
Why "un"offically - this is one of the most laid back challenges - you can start and stop how often as you want!

I'm afraid I may not be consistent in keeping a wig on my head. From my understanding, we are to keep a wig on unless we're at home. If we are alllowed to wear our uncovered hair in public, I will officially participate.

He Ya'll just checking in! I finished deep conditioning and washing for the week. I put some new cornrows in!! I've been watching youtube videos alll night and I think I'm going to make my own wig this go round. I still have a wig that I rock daily, but I think I'm ready for a change!

Hey everybody,
How long do your wigs last if you wear them daily? Should I expect to keep my wig for 3 weeks or 3 months? I bought a human hair half wig and synthetic full wig. Look forward to your responses.

Tammy has made wig-wearing a way of life for me :) Seriously, this is the best half-wig ever! I'm going to order 3-4 more and I'll be set through early summer.

My hair is in two individual plaits that are criss-crossed and secured with a bobby pin.

I can tell I am retaining a ton of length because each braid reaches all the way to the top of the other side of my head. Almost like a "braid halo". I love to swing the braids around and feel them fly around and slap my back. lol. Yes, I am weird. Leave me alone :)

Lady Paniolo, why are you on a weave/wig hiatus? Did they help you get to your current length?

Hey everybody,
How long do your wigs last if you wear them daily? Should I expect to keep my wig for 3 weeks or 3 months? I bought a human hair half wig and synthetic full wig. Look forward to your responses.

Synthetic and human hair wigs ---> 3-4 weeks
I've paid from $14- $30

Remy hair wigs ---> 6-12 months
I pay about 175 for 14-16 inches

how often should i wash my human hair wig? i worked out with it the first time i wore it and it looked horrible after. I was able to bring it back to its original state after washing. How often are you lagies washing yours?

Thanks!

Back