WIG CHALLENGE 2010

I'm afraid I may not be consistent in keeping a wig on my head. From my understanding, we are to keep a wig on unless we're at home. If we are alllowed to wear our uncovered hair in public, I will officially participate.

:spinning: Not so, the wig challenge is not about NEVER seeing your real hair!

You could actually care for and touch your "real" hair and scalp more with a WIG than with a weave, braids, or twists! Many ladies with those styles are afraid to wash in favor of have the style stay longer.

Hey everybody,
How long do your wigs last if you wear them daily? Should I expect to keep my wig for 3 weeks or 3 months? I bought a human hair half wig and synthetic full wig. Look forward to your responses.

I can get 4-6 months wear out a synthic WIG. With so many style and color options - I tend to rotate WIGS depending on my moods and fashion look.

idk if i joined this challenge or not but im currently in tammy..first half wig and i love it...im a 4B natural..my hair seemed too long in the front to blend..and i didnt want any hair out anyway.so i did it up with just some eco gel and a headband.

2qwg7jd.jpg

Last edited:
My synthetics wigs last from 3-6 months. I have one human one that is a year old and still ticking. As far as washing goes, I don't really have any hard fast rules about how often I wash my wigs. When the ends start getting rough, I will soak for a few hours and fabric softener.

Lovin' Wiggin':love2: ! It's such a Great Alternative to Winter Hats, Scarves never a Bad Hair Day and it Keeps Your Head Warm!

It Allows me to Moisturize my Hair in the Morning (under my Durag) & Evening before Bed. It's working great for me.

I'd like to venture into some different styles:look:

I'm enjoying it.:yep:

Still wearing Bali Girl and I havent cut her yet, I will try to get pics up soon. I have been busy with school.

I can get 4-6 months wear out a synthic WIG. With so many style and color options - I tend to rotate WIGS depending on my moods and fashion look.

Hey Curlidiva, Can you please tell us how you are able to maintain your wigs. Especially how you are able to keep your wigs for 6 months....

I am not in this challenge but I am addicted to wigs... TAMMY has changed my life and my outlook on hair (and has helped in this transition) I can definitely wear wigs for the next 3 yrs!!!!!

Have been wearing my phony ponytail everyday so far. Just need to find some variation to the type of phony ponytail with the clip. I want to try the ones without the clip but afraid it will fall out.

Lady Paniolo, why are you on a weave/wig hiatus? Did they help you get to your current length?

I am not on a wig hiatus... wigs are zero damage, for me. For some reason, I am sorely tempted to put in a weave. EVERY time I have worn a weave I have paid the price :cry3: yet for some reason (glutton for punishment?) I just keep trying it again thinking this time will be different :spinning: My hair and weaves have an abusive relationship :drunk:

Wigs on the other hand are perfect. I did wear them for over a year of my HHJ and yes they did help me get to my current length. :yep: Wigs are like weaves but better! There is no thread to cut, no painfully tight braids, WAY cheaper, and so easy. Go from a doobie to a pixie to a Lady Godiva in 30 seconds! :gorgeous:

It doesn't help matters that I paid for 16 inch human Wet 'n Wavy hair and have yet to install it... well I did for like one day and took it out. :spinning: So now that hair is calling to me with its siren song... trying to lure me and my hair onto the rocks! :wallbash:

I am checking in for the first time this year. I forgot the name of my wig, but it's curly and neck length. I just spray it w/ the cheap hair spray from the 99 cent store. What do you guys put on your wigs?

I like the wig b/c it fits in well w/ my lifestyle. It's low maintenance.

I am checking in for the first time this year. I forgot the name of my wig, but it's curly and neck length. I just spray it w/ the cheap hair spray from the 99 cent store. What do you guys put on your wigs?

I like the wig b/c it fits in well w/ my lifestyle. It's low maintenance.

I started using wig spray for the first time this year and it really makes a difference and works better than the oil sheen spray I was using. It keeps my wig from looking ragedy! It's called DeMert Wig Lusterizer & Conditioner.

Still wigging it! This is really helping me keep my hands out of my hair, and hopefully, retain whatever length I get.

Quick question: I have a human hair wig now that I'd like to last me a while. Is there a way to reduce shedding? Maybe there's a wig sealer out there? Any ideas would be great...Thanks!

You know, I have not worn a wig since I started this challenge? Not even my beloved Tammy

I have gone to the BSS in my area, and most of them only have straight styles. I only want curly, b/c I don't want to have to straighten my hair...and I'm being lazy about doing my hair so I've been nappy-bunning it (not combing it or anything) I should be ashamed of myself, for real...

but I'm going to go to hairsisters to order the one that I want.

Sorry ladies I've been bad with checking in lately. I've still been wigging it. I was only washing my hair on Weds but I felt that wasn't enough so I went back to my DCing on Weds and Sun. I keep my hair in six big cornrows underneath. I just learned how to cornrow so they're not aesthetically pleasing but no one sees them.

Hey Curlidiva, Can you please tell us how you are able to maintain your wigs. Especially how you are able to keep your wigs for 6 months....

I am not in this challenge but I am addicted to wigs... TAMMY has changed my life and my outlook on hair (and has helped in this transition) I can definitely wear wigs for the next 3 yrs!!!!!

Here are some QUICK tips:

· If you find a wig you LOVE, go back and buy another! I've fallen in love with a wig only to forget "months later" what I bought or learn that it is discontinued.

· Keep the wig that you are wearing on a WIG HEAD at all time. You can store any extra (and I know we all have extra wigs :lachen:) in the plastic or box - just make sure they are clean and product-free before storing.

· This will help your wig to retain its shape, plus it is the easiest way for you to examine and style your wig!

· I personally don’t apply any products such as sheen spray, pomade, gel to my wigs – the only product I use is fabric softener! Yes, I said the same stuff you add to your laundry! Again any liquid fabric softener will do – I use the cheap (dollar store or walmart brand).

· To wash my wigs: I fill my bath sink with warm water and shampoo and let slush my wigs around softly. I make sure that the wig interior base fabric, adjustment bands (I cut out the combs) are extra clean. I smooth my hands down the length of the strands – but again very gentle – no scrubbing! Rinse. Rinse. And then rinse again!

· To condition my wigs: I fill the sink again with cold water and FARIC SOFTENER and let my wig soak! Lightly rinse with cold water and then hang to drip dry (I just hook mine onto the shower to dry).

Trust me, fabric softener will make any WIG LOOK AND FEEL NEW! :yep: I repeat FABRIC SOFTENER WILL MAKE ANY WIG LOOK AND FEEL NEW!

Do not try to comb, brush, or even wear the wig in anyway until it is completely (including the interior fabric) DRY. This is where, having another wig in the same style come in handy….

· To refresh (between washes) my wigs: I spray with a mixture of fabric softener and water from a spray bottle! This works wonders for both straight and curly/kinky wig styles.

Last edited:
Picnikcollagebraids.jpg

Sensationnel HZ-7009 (again, lol) with micros in the front.
I purchased Sensationnel Instant Ponytail HZ-P006 and cut hair off of it for the micros.

First time checking in but I just came back from vacation. I am happy to say that I'm still wigging it. Yesterday I ordered 2 more Carefree Mimi's (my favourite wig). I am currently rocking BJ's Kimora lf in 1b.

Carefree's Mimi
16c2zhh.jpg

I'll have to come back to add a pic of Kimora later (it's still on my cam)

You look very nice with these MrsDereyes, HOpe you had fun on your vacation. I need another!

First time checking in but I just came back from vacation. I am happy to say that I'm still wigging it. Yesterday I ordered 2 more Carefree Mimi's (my favourite wig). I am currently rocking BJ's Kimora lf in 1b.

Carefree's Mimi
16c2zhh.jpg

I'll have to come back to add a pic of Kimora later (it's still on my cam)

CURLDIVA thanks for the Tips I am going to buy some fabric softner and try it on my pieces! Thanks so much!

Last edited:
i love this thread!!! You ladies taught me about Tammy and many others. Now, I have quite a few wigs and the only wig that looks good on me is Tammy. After reading thousands of reviews on Bali girl I took the plunge and ordered her and she gives me a cone head! She looks horrible - really horrible... I just dont understand why... I think I am going to stick with Tammy for the next few years.

I ordered me a few hair pieces today, I only have $100 left for the year to spend on hair pieces.

I am so excited! I had to reorder Elise because I love it and will be wearing this for the summer definitely. I also bought a half wig that looks very similar to Elise but I am able to wear it back with a head band, makes it look more natural. :D

Mrs Red Eyes- that wig looks incredible on you.

Curli- thanks so much for the tips. I agree wholeheartedly about the fabric softener tip, I have saved many, many a wig by a nice soak in some fabric softener.

Curli and Self Styled

I have a wig that the ends started to look fraggly, scraggly and raggly, will the fabric softner heal those strands or should continue to snip them? TIA

Mrs Red Eyes- that wig looks incredible on you.
Curli- thanks so much for the tips. I agree wholeheartedly about the fabric softener tip, I have saved many, many a wig by a nice soak in some fabric softener.

I assume that was for me :giggle:

Thank you! I love this wig :love: It is a staple in my collection from now on.

You look very nice with these MrsDereyes, HOpe you had fun on your vacation. I need another!

CURLDIVA thanks for the Tips I am going to buy some fabric softner and try it on my pieces! Thanks so much!

Thanks JJamiah! I am so not used to being back at work. That's the problem with longer vacations- the transition when you get back can be longer. I have hardly done any work since I've been back. :drunk:

Back