WIG CHALLENGE 2010

so i'm making a wig, kind of. check out what i did/am doing: http://bit.ly/cuQpzx

this is the wig i'm going for:

monroe_girl_wig_idea.jpg

Last edited:
Asking for guidance...

Ladies,

Kudos to all of you that have started this great challenge! I was on the fence for too long, and have missed out;but, I thought I'd come in and ask for guidance.

I REALLY want to start wearing wigs, but I feel like I would need something with bangs since I am natural, and would want a straight style.

I want some thing that's kinda messy, with bangs, a'la Nicole Richie and her crazy extensions.
z194757934.jpg

Has anyone come across anything like this? I keep hitting up the stores in Harlem, but I'm just not seeing anything. The closest I came across was Hadiiya Barbel's shag wig (below), but I'm NOT trying to pay $750. Any suggestions?
1_shag.jpg

^^^ No Hair Sisters or Clair Hair. They will rip you off. I'm sure some of the vets will chime in soon
Thanks to everyone who alerted us on these merchants. I haven't ordered from them as yet but I was about to. Now because of all your reviews, I am saved the trouble of having to deal with them.

Re: Asking for guidance...

This is Cleopatra--she is already layered and you can curl her because she is made with that weave hair....If I hadn't flat ironed her out she would like like the second pic you posted but her layers a little longer; you should cut it some if you wanted; I cut the bangs on this cause it wasn't short enough
ry%3D400

Ladies,

Kudos to all of you that have started this great challenge! I was on the fence for too long, and have missed out;but, I thought I'd come in and ask for guidance.

I REALLY want to start wearing wigs, but I feel like I would need something with bangs since I am natural, and would want a straight style.

I want some thing that's kinda messy, with bangs, a'la Nicole Richie and her crazy extensions.
z194757934.jpg

Has anyone come across anything like this? I keep hitting up the stores in Harlem, but I'm just not seeing anything. The closest I came across was Hadiiya Barbel's shag wig (below), but I'm NOT trying to pay $750. Any suggestions?
1_shag.jpg

Queen, I want that wig!!!!!

Looks BEAUTIFUL on you! I hope it looks like that on me!! Cleopatra you say? Is there a particular "brand" or "maker"?

THANK YOU!!!

Milky Way Weave Master Wig
HUMAN HAIR BLEND WIG MILKY WAY WEAVE MASTER CLEOPATRA 12

I got it from Hairsisters-but I think I lucked up and that was in January before I heard all of the horror stories..but I am sure they have it other places

Last edited:
It is much easier to loosen the curls in a curly wig than to keep curls in a straight wig. To get this look
z194757934.jpg

You may want to try: (all of the below styles can be combed out for a looser look that will last)

wowwigs_2092_35666647
Betty by Motown Tress

wowwigs_2093_70639714
Beyconce by Beverly Johnson

wowwigs_2092_42120816
Nana by Carefree

I haven't missed a beat, I have been phony ponytailing it everyday. Only thing is when I get home I take it off. Do you ladies wear it even in the house? I only wrap my hair up at night, so either I walk around in the house with my hair down or the ends will be still wrapped up in a baggy.

I haven't missed a beat, I have been phony ponytailing it everyday. Only thing is when I get home I take it off. Do you ladies wear it even in the house? I only wrap my hair up at night, so either I walk around in the house with my hair down or the ends will be still wrapped up in a baggy.

Me too, my wig goes right on the banister after I take off my coat - no wiggin in the house unless I have "company" and tryin to look cute :spinning:

I rarely wear my wig in the house.... and since I'm a SAHM that's most of my time! Only if I am feeling cute :gorgeous: or if we have people over do I really wear my wig in my house.
I usually have my satin sleep bonnet on, lol. Sometimes I wear my black satin sleep bonnet UNDER my wig when I go out in winter. It's cold out there! My precious needs extra protection.

Since its almost Valentine's Day - let's talk about WIGS and the SO in your life!

Does your partner like your wig look?

Do you let the SO touch or play in the wig?

Is the wig left on or off during bedroom games?

Is his reaction (to a WIG) different or the same as a weave or extension braids?

Last edited:
He likes some of my wigs, but not the others.

Absolutely- better than him playing in my hair- he plays nice too, never any hard yanks or tugging.

Occasionally, but not always.

Is his reaction (to a IWG) different or the same as a weave or extension braids? .
Luckily for me- DH does not care what I do with my hair. He has seen it ALL since we have been together.

He like the long "Michele" but not he short "Gail"

Nope, he doesn't really have much of a chance when I come in the house the wig comes off LOL

I think once or twice he jumped me as soon as I walked in :blush:

Is his reaction (to a IWG) different or the same as a weave or extension braids?

Nope, he doesn't favor either.

Since its almost Valentine's Day - let's talk about WIGS and the SO in your life!

No, but he doesn't give me trouble about it because he sees how long it takes for me to do my real hair.

He can if he wants to, but he never does.

Off. It's hard enough keeping a bonnet or scarf on, so a wig would never make it.

Is his reaction (to a IWG) different or the same as a weave or extension braids?[/B
He likes extension braids more than wigs and weaves.

see below...

DH doesnt say much. I think he's afraid to say the wrong thing. DD complimented my look yesterday and 5 mins later he said he was thinking the same thing.

I don't have a rule against it but I do tend to pull away. I guess I have to get used to it more than DH.

I would like to but I havent yet. Perhaps I'm worried about messing it up??
I have this mental plan in my head of surprising him with a corset, long waist length wig and heels.

One thing I noticed is that when DH is home I prefer to keep the wig on and not walk around in the wig braids. I'm a mom trying to hold on to my sexy.

Is his reaction (to a WIG) different or the same as a weave or extension braids?
DH didn't know ANYTHING about black hair let alone weaves, extentions or braids. I think he is more curious than anything else.

Nope! He prefers my twa. But I kindly remind him of the current temp of negative something combined with freezing rain/snow. At this point, he can kick rocks. I am not going to revert from another BC because he can't deal with wigs temporarily. If I hadn't relaxed (because of him) over a year ago, I would have at least neck length natural tresses.

When I come home, I take it off just to give my head a break from wearing it all day. He'll play with my kinks though. :yep:

Off - which I thought was the right thing to do in terms of properly taking care of your wigs.

No, his reaction is the same - he prefers natural hair over braids, weaves, wigs, and everything else categorized as faux hair.

BUMP... anybody else getting hosed by Hairsisters?

My order states they shipped it on the 12th (Feb). My order was made on the 8th (Feb).

I didn't realize they were having shipping issues, so we shall see. I want my wigs.......:ohwell:

ETA - I have always paid via paypal because if anything happens, I could file a claim via paypal AND my bank - double security. So, hopefully I get my wigs or else....:bat:

Last edited:
My order states they shipped it on the 12th (Feb). My order was made on the 8th (Feb).

I didn't realize they were having shipping issues, so we shall see. I want my wigs.......:ohwell:

ETA - I have always paid via paypal because if anything happens, I could file a claim via paypal AND my bank - double security. So, hopefully I get my wigs or else....:bat:

It's weird, I've never had a problem with hairsisters but now I'm scared because of all the issues everyone else has been reporting!

Let us know if you get it or not!

Back