WIG CHALLENGE 2010

This is before and after the cutting of Bali Girl.....I cut the bang b/c I am in nursing school and I cant have all that hair falling back in my face when I am with my patients. I used Dermat or whatever that wig spray is to hold it but it wasnt working that well. So I chopped it.....

Attachments

• 12010 001.jpg
    12010 001.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 12010 002.jpg
    12010 002.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 12010 004.jpg
    12010 004.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 23
  • 12010 009.jpg
    12010 009.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 12010 011.jpg
    12010 011.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 14
This is the half wig which I have been wearing.
yhst-2519492840586_2093_855104449

I have had it for over 3 months now! The hair is still very very soft on the top and in the middle, but the ends started looking raggedy so I braided, and dipped it in very hot (pretty much boiling) water, then I put white rain ($1 @ walmart) mousse on it, and let it dry over night.... and voila!

picture.php

picture.php

Very innovative Ebonybunny. I think I will be trying this when my wigs start to look raggedy too. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Just checking in! I'm gonna post a pic of my newest chica to the wig family in my Fotki in a few mins. I'm still going hard on the LF wig grind. I'll stay on, but was wondering how you ladies deal with the heat and wigs in the summer?! I live in NC, and though not as hot as SC (where I'm from), it still gets to be pretty damn scorchin' and humid! Any suggestions would be appreciated, my hair is long and thick, so that doesn't make the wig-wearing any cooler!

IDK, I'll have to dress skimpy (spaghetti-strap tank, long, flowy skirt) to keep from being overheated by the wig, I guess, when summer comes! It's 80 here in mid-April, so we'll see how long I last with wearing them. I may have to take a break from May 'til September and then resume! Thinking of getting braids for the interim.

ETA: My hair is also getting too long to braid like Lady Paniolo said, and I worry about braiders not wanting to braid the extensions out long enough to give my ends some room! IDK what I'll do.

Last edited:
I have to lay off the wigs in the summer to keep from passing out. I have a tendency to pass out if I get too hot, or go to long without eating, or get really stressed out. :ohwell: Plus I dress modestly, so wigs in the summer aren't really the best choice. Braids are good... but my hair is getting too long to braid.

If I ever get to your length now no one can tell me nothing :lachen::yep::woot:! :rofl::giggle:

:blush3: Thank you!

OK, DH just walked by my computer and saw that gif in your siggy... his response was hilarious! He was like :shocked: :perplexed :nono: WTF is that??? :nono::nono::nono:

So when I told him I'd be dancing like that on Times Square he said "NO you won't!!!" :lachen:

Hi ladies checking in. Still wigging it and still loving it!!! I just love how I can keep my own hair in a no/low manipulation state with these wigs. I am still learning about the wigs and experimenting. I bought one this past week and loved it. I wore it out this weekend and thought it looked good so I think I will buy another (my SO was giving me the eye all day, lol). Also, I guess I'm doing a good job with blending and placing my head bands because my patients all think my "work wig" is my hair (I've been in braids for 3 months so many of them don't know what my hair looks like).

Also, what do you ladies do for a wig that tangles easily?

I am bunning at the moment, I may be wearing my wig nxt week so I wont have to be bothered with my hair.

on the lace

cp1_0205001541.jpg

cp1_0205001542.jpg

Got ya. I have one where it's got a tiny amount of lace too. But I can't see the tracks on it. It's "Selena" by Freetress. But I get really annoyed at the small amount of hair you can part with those lace fronts. :wallbash: One of these days I'll actually upload pictures of the dumb thing.

Just checking in! I'm gonna post a pic of my newest chica to the wig family in my Fotki in a few mins. I'm still going hard on the LF wig grind. I'll stay on, but was wondering how you ladies deal with the heat and wigs in the summer?! I live in NC, and though not as hot as SC (where I'm from), it still gets to be pretty damn scorchin' and humid! Any suggestions would be appreciated, my hair is long and thick, so that doesn't make the wig-wearing any cooler!

ETA: My hair is also getting too long to braid like Lady Paniolo said, and I worry about braiders not wanting to braid the extensions out long enough to give my ends some room! IDK what I'll do.

The shorter wigs are less heat stroke inducing. Having said that last summer I had just cut it into a TWA, so I don't have any first hand knowledge. :ohwell:

OH! And I don't know if this has already been shared, but I looked up hairsisters.com on the better business bureau website. Are you guys reporting them, because they got graded a B-! They've only had 46 complaints in the past 3 years. If they screwed you over, please report them. You can do it online.

Golden Mart Beauty Supply got an "F" rating by the way.

I am taking a break with a roller set protective style but I can't wait to get back into my wigs! I have three right now that are really working for me! I am looking to buy another one! I really like that VAnessa La Jay but haven't been able to find her....let me go look for something else! I wouldn't mind a Rihanna cut one like the weave I had before

I am taking a break with a roller set protective style but I can't wait to get back into my wigs! I have three right now that are really working for me! I am looking to buy another one! I really like that VAnessa La Jay but haven't been able to find her....let me go look for something else! I wouldn't mind a Rihanna cut one like the weave I had before

I was in the same boat last month but came across the below website and I have the wig now...:dance7:

You can try the link and see if they still have the wig in stock. Good luck.

http://www.superbeautydepot.com/storefront/Productdetail.aspx?idproduct=87660

I was thinking about my weave that I planned to install. I think I may just omit the final step of sewing the net (with the sewn on tracks) onto the perimeter of my hair... because cutting up the thread is so often the cause of damage. That way I can take it off to DC and to dry my hair thoroughly before putting it back on. Then it occurred to me... hey, isn't that basically a wig? :lachen:

Tried a different online wig store since I'm scared of hairsisters right now. Ordered a motown tress wig from www.namebrandwigs.com Now, most of their wig brands are white people wigs like Jon Renau and Raquel Welch (and yeah, I'm calling them white people wigs since they never use black models in their advertising). Anyways, ordered from that online vendor and it's on back order. Estimated time arrival is the end of February. Not surprised, but since it had the cheapest price, I'm taking a chance. Will update about rather I get the wig or get screwed.

I no longer order from Hair Sisters or Clair Hair. I order from blackhairspray.com and I have never had any problems. As well, they are super fast with shipping and their customer service department responds fast.

I am still wearing my wigs on a daily fact basis. I love the fact that I can have access to my hair everyday. Moisturize and sealing well.

Whats going on with Hairsisters, did something happen?

Yeah, something happened with Hairsisters. They are having trouble fulfilling orders, sometimes they NEVER get sent out but you can bet your bottom dollar they are collecting the payments though.

DON'T buy from Hairsisters. Please. You will get ganked. I had to get real tough with them :clubu: to get my money back. If I hadn't learned exactly how to do that (from LHCF :love4:) I would have just gotten ganked for almost $70.

ETA: don't buy from ClairHair either, it's the same company trying to perpetrate a front after they ruined their good name. Savebeauty has never done me wrong, though the selection of wigs is a bit limited. Prices are good though, usually a buck or two lower than Hairsisters and flat rate shipping. Great customer service, too.

Last edited:
Today is going to be a much better 'wig' day. Yesterday was kinda shaky (literally :lol:)
'cause I used the wrong hair pins and then couldn't figure out how to secure the pins properly withou tugging. But I got lots of help and now I think I got the hang of it. I also combed it a bit so it wouldn't look so prefect and I took out 50% of the bulk and trimmed it this morning. I love it even more now. It reminds me of the curly bob I was rocking when I was transitioning :yep:These 2 days of baggying underneath has my hair feeling soooo wonderful. My new growth is so soft and has stopped acting the fool.

halee_J - How do you take the bulk out of your wig. I just bought a Beverly Johnson "Queenie" lace front and it is beautiful but wow it's a lot of hair. My hair is thin - so I don't want leave work one day with 2 teaspoons of hair and then show up the next day with 16 gallons of hair if you know what I mean. :lachen: I am going to shorten it but I really would like to take some of the bulk out so that it is believable. I would appreciate any help from any of my LHCF sisters.

Thank you favoured and kurlybella !! The color I want is out of stock but I will keep checking back in! And that Mikko one is super cute! The texture is a little different but I like it! Looks like a nice little rollerset

(checking in) Still rocking the wigs:

I've found it kind of refreshing to do a simple flat twist/cornrows under the wig so after a few days I can take it out and where a twist-out/braid-out for a day or two before going back into the wig cave

Also (idk if anyone is looking for a good spray moisturizer but ..) I use to hate Giovanni direct leave-in (because it made my hair hard) but I diluted it with some distilled water and now I use that as my spray in moisturizer .. (loves, it .. my hair's moisture level is perfecto since doing this)

I was thinking about my weave that I planned to install. I think I may just omit the final step of sewing the net (with the sewn on tracks) onto the perimeter of my hair... because cutting up the thread is so often the cause of damage. That way I can take it off to DC and to dry my hair thoroughly before putting it back on. Then it occurred to me... hey, isn't that basically a wig? :lachen:

Yes, you can sew a WIG- full, half or a lace wig- just like a weave!

I did this when I went on vacation and did not want to pull my wig on/off in front of my white friends.

I personally, would do this instead of ever getting a regular weave again because the hair is already styled and will lay exactly right.

I'm thinking about experimenting this summer with sewing in a cut-up WIG to get the deep parts of a lace wig with the price tag!

halee_J - How do you take the bulk out of your wig. I just bought a Beverly Johnson "Queenie" lace front and it is beautiful but wow it's a lot of hair. My hair is thin - so I don't want leave work one day with 2 teaspoons of hair and then show up the next day with 16 gallons of hair if you know what I mean. :lachen: I am going to shorten it but I really would like to take some of the bulk out so that it is believable. I would appreciate any help from any of my LHCF sisters.
This is an excellent video that shows how to take the bulk out of you wig- I have done this many times with success....

http://www.youtube.com/user/thomasadrianna?blend=1&ob=4&rclk=cth#p/u/65/_g10Eg8sLfs

Yes, you can sew a WIG- full, half or a lace wig- just like a weave!

I did this when I went on vacation and did not want to pull my wig on/off in front of my white friends.

I personally, would do this instead of ever getting a regular weave again because the hair is already styled and will lay exactly right.

I'm thinking about experimenting this summer with sewing in a cut-up WIG to get the deep parts of a lace wig with the price tag!

Great minds think alike:yep:- I want to do something similar. I guess it would be similar to a weave, but I am thinking of sewing a half wig on to my cornrows, I want to be able to get in and out of the water with no hassles/worries:lachen:. I could just see it now... "Mom your half wig is floating in the ocean"- I would be sooooo embarrassed.

Here's what I do:

• Cut your wig in good light, in front of a mirror
  • One of biggest tip I have is pay attention (check out YouTube) to how real hair falls - ususally wigs are way too bulky at the top/hairline/roots - this is called density
  • Trim your wig while it is on your head - use a mirror to check the back - this is the only way to tell how the length/density will look on you
  • Start slow and cut small amounts at a time - once it is gone, thats it!
  • Practice on a cheapy or old wig - before trying to trim that pricey lace wig - go slow, and comb the hair to see how it is falling as you go along!
  • Curly hair is more forgiving - cut each individual curl at the start or end of the curl (think of a C) to avoid straight ends sticking out (never cut curly hair in one flat blunt cut)
  • If your hair is highlighted - make sure to cut out evenly so you don't end up with one spot with no highlights
  • Do NOT cutting out one entire section - not a good look if the wind blows the wrong way
  • I like using both shears for curly hair and thining razor for straight hair (both are cheap at any BSS)

Back