WIG CHALLENGE 2009

Okay, so it's been forever since I checked in. I had so much going on I hadn't gotten a chance to post any updates.

So, since I joined this challenge I have found a lace front wig that I love. My hair is growing (still coming in slow, but coming along). I will upload pictures when I get a few minutes (updating from work :grin:).

I had a scalp malfunction in December which left me with patches of hair missing (seriously, parts of my hair looked like crop circles) and they are just starting to come in.

This week I braided my hair and was very happy with how its coming along. I think I am going to keep it braided for a few weeks instead of twisting.

My hair is shedding and I have no idea how to stop it. If its not crop circles then its something else :perplexed. Suggestions?

Picture075.jpg

new half wig
Modu ANYTIME SYNTHETIC HALF WIG TM-153

washed let air dry LIGHTLY combed with wig brush and pick for height
27.99 @ Hairsisters
24.95 @ gmbs

girl, that's real cute!!! I need to get me a half wig.

I'm still wearing my wig(s) daily but I am noticing that my edges are suffering :( the hair growth is pretty good but those darn edges :wallbash:

I'm still wearing my wig(s) daily but I am noticing that my edges are suffering :( the hair growth is pretty good but those darn edges :wallbash:

have you tried alternating between half wigs and full wigs that way there isnt constant pressure on any one part of your head, and with half wigs your edges can breathe more

hth

Last edited:
My plan was to alternate between the wig challenge and crown and glory method. I want to save money by doing kinky twists myself, but my arms get sore just from detangling my hair so there goes that idea :lachen: My regimen is pretty simple:

* Hot oil treatment applied, covered with plastic cap and left overnight (1/2 Dabur Amla Oil & 1/2 EVOO)

* Co-wash and deep condition with steam every 7-10 days (I use shampoo once a month)

* Detangle hair in sections and apply leave in, then twist

Daily Maintenance

* Spray hair twice daily with S-Curl or my glycerin and water mix then massage my scalp. (before and after I put on wavecap)

* Tie hair down with wavecap, put on my wig or headwrap...that's all folks.

My hair has been growing like a weed since my BC in December. Had I known it was gonna grow this quickly, I'd have taken the plunge sooner. :yep:

I have one 1/2 wig that I rock on a regular. I'm still on the lookout for the perfect Egyptian style wig, no luck yet. I'm also thinking about getting a Rhianna inspired wig for the summer. Decisions, decisions.

Is it too late to join this challenge? I just bought a wig and my cousin gave me a brand new one she didn't want so I'm ready.

still trying to perfect my regi so it might take me sometime before I post it.

Question: with your hair in cornrows under the wig do you co-wash? how often? are you unbraiding the hair or just co washing with the hair braided?

Welcome Quita!

You can wash with your cornrows in place. I like to play in my hair, so I tend to revel to wash and deep condition.

Hey Ladies!

I'm on the look out for a straight style wig with Kinky Straight/Coarse Yaki texture hair!

I really want to try a synthetic Lace front, but all of the ones I've seen is way too silky straight...which scream WIG to me!

Any ideas?

Hello,

Could someone please tell me if there is a better way at protecting your edge from the wig? I believe the wig I have is thinning out my edges even though I wear wig caps I even cut a piece of thick stocking and tie it around my head to protect the edges but I don't think that's working. Does anyone have any suggests? I need some help. Thank you

Hey Ladies!

I'm on the look out for a straight style wig with Kinky Straight/Coarse Yaki texture hair!

I really want to try a synthetic Lace front, but all of the ones I've seen is way too silky straight...which scream WIG to me!

Any ideas?

Hey Curli- would this one work out for you?
http://www.myhouseofbeauty.com/jacosyfrlawi1.html

This one a found on EBAY- but it does look like the Athene
http://cgi.ebay.com/18-Kinky-Straig...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

This one looks luscious:lick::lick::lick:
https://www.lhboutique.com/catalog/a-synthetic-lace-front-wig-ayana-new.html

HTH

Hello,

Could someone please tell me if there is a better way at protecting your edge from the wig? I believe the wig I have is thinning out my edges even though I wear wig caps I even cut a piece of thick stocking and tie it around my head to protect the edges but I don't think that's working. Does anyone have any suggests? I need some help. Thank you

I never wear wig caps at all because I think they are rough on my edges.
When I do wear full wigs, which is rare, I put on a silky/satin headband around my head.

hband.jpg

The only place I have been able to find this headband in black has been at Sally's.

This is what it looks like so you can see what I mean:
hblhcf.jpg

Honestly Oreo, for me I find that Half Wigs are better- no stress at all on my edges.

I am still hanging with this challenge - which fits in lovely with the Cowashing Challenge. I have to be honest though- I do Half wigs and Phony Ponies:look:

Mine too. Although I have to admit, I've been wearing my Old Navt t-shirt headwrap much more than my wig. :grin:

I'm in the market for an Egyptian style wig...dead straight and jet black. Any suggestions, review or pics?

EGYPTIAN_M.jpg
FCB-81-Alexandria-Girl1_M.jpg

ooo ooo!!! i want that one the long black egyptian one! i know exactly where to get it here in my city, thanks for the pic, it looks great!

my only problem is finding them longer than 14"....

Hey Curli- would this one work out for you?
http://www.myhouseofbeauty.com/jacosyfrlawi1.html

This one a found on EBAY- but it does look like the Athene
http://cgi.ebay.com/18-Kinky-Straig...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

This one looks luscious:lick::lick::lick:
https://www.lhboutique.com/catalog/a-synthetic-lace-front-wig-ayana-new.html

HTH

I never wear wig caps at all because I think they are rough on my edges.
When I do wear full wigs, which is rare, I put on a silky/satin headband around my head.

hband.jpg

The only place I have been able to find this headband in black has been at Sally's.

This is what it looks like so you can see what I mean:
hblhcf.jpg

Honestly Oreo, for me I find that Half Wigs are better- no stress at all on my edges.

I am still hanging with this challenge - which fits in lovely with the Cowashing Challenge. I have to be honest though- I do Half wigs and Phony Ponies:look:

Thank you, I'll look for the head band this weekend. I'm not sure if I can find a half wig that will match my hair texture, I'm natural 4a/b. But I guess it doesn't hurt to look in the wig store. ( I love those places anyway) :grin:I'm a WJ (Wig Junkie):yep:

Hello,

I wore short pixie cut wigs for 2 years straight , no rest in between and no half wigs either, and I never wore a wig cap. I never lost my edges either, in fact, they were longer and healthier than ever. But then again, that was way back when I did hardly anything to my hair. I would undo the vertical flatrows (usually 6 big flatrows) under the wig every 3-4 weeks, wash and DC, then flatrow again, and back with my wig. I would wear it when I was out of the house but as long as I was home in the house, it was off of my head. I don't understand why so many people are losing their edges:nono: and I didn't.

Aggie you are one of the fortunate ones- I have seen so many people that have full edges and wear wigs 24-7, my edges would be bald if I wore full wigs everyday. I dunno I just think some people's edges are more fragile than others ya know?

Aggie you are one of the fortunate ones- I have seen so many people that have full edges and wear wigs 24-7, my edges would be bald if I wore full wigs everyday. I dunno I just think some people's edges are more fragile than others ya know?

Thank you SS, I think you're right. Many ladies have nice full edges while wearing wigs, but then a few have a hard time with them.

oooo I want to join... late of course. I own two wigs the one in my avi and a straight wig. I plan to wear wigs for the remainder of the year. Right now I finger roll my hair with conditioner and wear a wig cap under my wig. Eventually I'll start wearing cornrows under my wig. :grin:

oooo I want to join... late of course. I own two wigs the one in my avi and a straight wig. I plan to wear wigs for the remainder of the year. Right now I finger roll my hair with conditioner and wear a wig cap under my wig. Eventually I'll start wearing cornrows under my wig. :grin:

:yep:, Cornrows are the way to go under the wigs. It will help save your edges like it did mine. Good luck with it...

Last edited:
Fabulous growth. Girl you gat guts to cut off your hair like that:grin:.

Honestly, that chop was the best thing I ever did. It was absolutely freeing to confront what I had feared for a very long time, and to realize that I look hot bald was a big plus.

Now, I can grow my hair without the urgency of now because I have seen the otehr side and its not all bad.

Last edited:
I wore short pixie cut wigs for 2 years straight , no rest in between and no half wigs either, and I never wore a wig cap. I never lost my edges either, in fact, they were longer and healthier than ever. But then again, that was way back when I did hardly anything to my hair. I would undo the vertical flatrows (usually 6 big flatrows) under the wig every 3-4 weeks, wash and DC, then flatrow again, and back with my wig. I would wear it when I was out of the house but as long as I was home in the house, it was off of my head. I don't understand why so many people are losing their edges:nono: and I didn't.

Thank you for the advice. I actually take the wig off every weekend to give my own hair a breather. I co-wash and do the regular regimant. I have a sneaking suspicion that it may be the wig itself and I love this wig(it's by Bobbi Boss). I've worn lace fronts human & synthetic, plus wigs by Beverly Johnson and this is the first time my edges are thinning out.....hhmmm...now that I think about it....this is also the first time I've worn a constent wig cap. I usually don't wear them underneath my wigs.... You're right, it may be the wig cap...I may try a few different things to help my edges. I thank you ladies for all the wonderful advice.

I didn't lose my edges with a wig or braids. I keep my edges moisturized with castor oil. I also deep condition my hair weekly. I will be wearing a wig tonight.

Thank you for the advice. I actually take the wig off every weekend to give my own hair a breather. I co-wash and do the regular regimant. I have a sneaking suspicion that it may be the wig itself and I love this wig(it's by Bobbi Boss). I've worn lace fronts human & synthetic, plus wigs by Beverly Johnson and this is the first time my edges are thinning out.....hhmmm...now that I think about it....this is also the first time I've worn a constent wig cap. I usually don't wear them underneath my wigs.... You're right, it may be the wig cap...I may try a few different things to help my edges. I thank you ladies for all the wonderful advice.

You're welcomed oreoday99. Good luck finding the regimmen that works for you:yep:.

You know one thing I have noticed is that some wigs on the underside are more rough than others. I had a Motown Tress half wig that was so scratchy- where as I don't have that problem with Sensationnel Half wigs or Outre half wigs.

Back