WIG CHALLENGE 2009

Maybe I should join this group. I'm keeping my hair braided til November but in between braidings I was thinking of rocking a wig. I'm in the process of making a wig now. I have to make one because I have a small head and ALL store bought wigs look like helmets on me! lol I'll post pics when I've finished it.

I am still rocking my wigs for another week and a half then I'll be back in braids for 6-8 weeks becuase I will be Nebraska visiting my SO and wigs just can't cut it then:grin:.

Update: Wash and go's aren't for me. Shingling won't be my friend until my hair starts to grow down instead of out...my shingles won't lay flat, by the time I'm done I have a gooey afro :lachen: This summer is about cornrows and phony puffs...if my hair is long enough to pull into one, I've never tried. I'll be blowdrying my hair next week for a length check, results will be in my siggy. I'm going to be stocking up on half-wigs while hairsisters is having their sale. I'm planning to get

Spring/Summer Wigs
Cosmo Girl
FM_CosmoGirl_M.jpg

Monique
MONIQUE_M.jpg

Fall/Winter Wigs
Bali Girl
bali-girl_M.jpg

Vanilla Girl
VanillaGirl_M.jpg

Shanghai Collections SC 101
SC-101_M.jpg

My last day for this session for my wig will be next Friday because it would be time for my braids then. I will resume wearing my wigs again when I take down my braids after about 6-8 weeks or so.

I just completed a month of wearing wigs and now this coming Sunday, I will be getting some extension braids installed. I can't wait.

Wigging it Monday to Friday still but I am thinking of wearing twists on the weekends out in full public view instead of just around the block on dog walks. I'm hoping I can still wear my wigs during the work week with twist extensions if I choose.

I have the Bali Girl and it is very nice. It's the first full wig I had the confidence to wear. I took about 3 wears for it to fall into the perfect shape. Unfortunately, it did not hold up; it tangles easily and the fibers just don't look as good now. I haven't tried washing it yet. However, I ordered another one since they were on sale at hairsisters and that is still fresh in the pack.

I'm also getting into the synthetic lace front game. :yep: I've seen some women post pics on BHM and they look SO good! Freetress and Sensationnel make versions where you don't need any lace or glue to keep them in place. Here are some youtube videos:

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXTmTSt21ZI&feature=channel (this would be PERFECT for a vacation or going out...too glam for daily wear :look:
-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XStMuSPpOJw&feature=channel (last 20 sec or so is a SLF)
-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS2y5mJGy5Y
-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfyUX4gcha0&feature=related

Anyone rocking the SLFs? Any tips? Any pics :grin:

I've been wearing my wigs for about a month now, I was going to install box braids this weekend, but I think I will wear the wigs for another 3 weeks.

I'm studying for an certification exam for work, so I cornrowing my hair TODAY and letting alone (except for con washes) under my wig until June 13!:spinning:

You all know I've being going back and forth about buying a lace wig.

My compromise is a syn lace front, but most that I seen just don't look better than a regular wig IMO and the LACE section is so small that I doubt I could get the effect of DEEP parts.

(p.s. I could care less about the "baby hair" that some obess about...I wanted a lace wig to be able to make deep parts)

Anyhoo, I literally cut my at-the-moment favorite BSS kinky/curly wig (only $19) down the middle and sewn wig combs (that I always cut tham out anyway) along the cut tucking the hair around the comb so you don't see cut edges.

Now I can wear my wig and let my nautral DEEP hair show - if I don't want a part I just stick the combs closer together to touch or shift it for a side part.

I hope I explained this clearly, but it WORKED!

You all know I've being going back and forth about buying a lace wig.

My compromise is a syn lace front, but most that I seen just don't look better than a regular wig IMO and the LACE section is so small that I doubt I could get the effect of DEEP parts.

(p.s. I could care less about the "baby hair" that some obess about...I wanted a lace wig to be able to make deep parts)

Anyhoo, I literally cut my at-the-moment favorite BSS kinky/curly wig (only $19) down the middle and sewn wig combs (that I always cut tham out anyway) along the cut tucking the hair around the comb so you don't see cut edges.

Now I can wear my wig and let my nautral DEEP hair show - if I don't want a part I just stick the combs closer together to touch or shift it for a side part.

I hope I explained this clearly, but it WORKED!

That sounds like a GREAT idea!

Hey ladies! I've kind of fallen off in March... BUT I am currently wearing a sew in... which I am not really liking because I've gotten in the habit of putting water on my scalp almost everyday. :( I'm going to back to wiggin' it out when I take this out.

I have been wiggin it for a year, this month. I plan to wig it until I reach APL. However I am am bad. I only braid every 3 months, never tie it up. I have to do better.:nono:

I have been wiggin it for a year, this month. I plan to wig it until I reach APL. However I am am bad. I only braid every 3 months, never tie it up. I have to do better.:nono:

Congrats on hitting your year mark :grin:!
I can understand though, its easy to forget about your hair when its under the wig...
I try giving my hair a day of its own (today) where I DC and put in up in its protective style

I'm thinking of getting a short curly synthetic lace wig just for the summer.
& I am saving up for a human lace wig for the winter ...

Last edited:
Hello all! I PMed the host to join this challenge. I will do this 24/7 until September, then I will alternate wigging out and bunning all the way to waist length, which is my final goal. Here is my starting pic, I will be in this challenge for the next 2 years.
n1213870788_482639_4709889.jpg

Well mine is already installed - you should get them. It really helps me keep my hands out of it in a big way:yep:.

My only concern is finding someone who will be gentle with my hair. I'm not using any heat this year. Maybe I'll have to experiment and put some in myself.

Update: Wash and go's aren't for me. Shingling won't be my friend until my hair starts to grow down instead of out...my shingles won't lay flat, by the time I'm done I have a gooey afro :lachen: This summer is about cornrows and phony puffs...if my hair is long enough to pull into one, I've never tried. I'll be blowdrying my hair next week for a length check, results will be in my siggy. I'm going to be stocking up on half-wigs while hairsisters is having their sale. I'm planning to get

Spring/Summer Wigs
Cosmo Girl
FM_CosmoGirl_M.jpg

Monique
MONIQUE_M.jpg

Fall/Winter Wigs
Bali Girl
bali-girl_M.jpg

Vanilla Girl
VanillaGirl_M.jpg

Shanghai Collections SC 101
SC-101_M.jpg
Cosmo girl is one of the first ones I got love it I want Bali but when I tried it on a the BSS a yeah not so much.:lachen: Not cute not cute at all.

Just completed another two weeks with a set of braids under my wig. Thinking about keeping them in another week.

Cosmo girl is one of the first ones I got love it I want Bali but when I tried it on a the BSS a yeah not so much.:lachen: Not cute not cute at all.
Really? I thought that was one of the few wigs that looks good on everybody. I guess I better try it on at the bss first...my head is HUGE, there's a good chance I'll look a mess too :lachen:

I'm still in this challenge. It's going on two years now. I believe I have 1.0-1.5 years to go before I reach my goal. I'm getting tired of wigging it, but I'm sticking with it.

I'm still in this challenge. It's going on two years now. I believe I have 1.0-1.5 years to go before I reach my goal. I'm getting tired of wigging it, but I'm sticking with it.

I'm a little tired of putting something on my head every day but I know I will reach my goals in a few years too. :yep: I just have to keep changing it up so I don't get too bored. :rolleyes:

I might be taking a break from wigs at the end of this month for a little bit because my husband really miss seeing my hair. Any one else dealing with this while wearing protective styles?

checking in ladies....I know it's been awhile but I stop wearing the wigs to give my hairline a break(they seemed to be thinning somehow). Earlier this morning, I went online to gmbs.com and found 4 new wigs that I plan on purchasing for the summer/fall. There is a new bss that opened here and hopefully they will have the wigs instock b/c I am really trying to limit my online purchases and buy locally. After seeing chavascandy's growth thread, I immediately started looking for new wigs to purchase(the two that I had were horrible looking on me and I trashed them once I noticed my ends suffering).

I'm still in it. I'm loving my wig although I did experience a little problem. Stupid me fell asleep with the wig on. The side comb was anchored a little behind my hairline and pulled a plug of hair out. I'm very lucky that I have hair covering that spot.

So ladies, so ever ever ......ever ever be lazy like me and sleep in your wig (especially if it has wig clips inside).

Back