Why I Chose To Take My Wife's Last Name

chrissy_teigen.jpg

I'd be torn between thinking oh, how progressive of him and thinking he's weak/wanting to leave him. It might just be to just have separate names imo.

Broberg sounds completely Swedish to me, so I don't get the Jewish reference at all. In Scandinavia, no one would think it was a Jewish name. It's actually made up from two Swedish words - bro (bridge) and berg (mountain). The typical Jewish European last names are usually made up from German words.

My mother's first husband took her name, because his name was very common and my grandparents wanted their name to live on. Since I'm so used to our situation, this is one issue I would never worry about in terms of gender roles. It's just a name. Take the one you like the most! :)

Last edited:
Broberg sounds completely Swedish to me, so I don't get the Jewish reference at all. In Scandinavia, no one would think it was a Jewish name. It's actually made up from two Swedish words - bro (bridge) and berg (mountain). The typical Jewish European last names are usually made up from German words.

My mother's first husband took her name, because his name was very common and my grandparents wanted their name to live on. Since I'm so used to our situation, this is one issue I would never worry about in terms of gender roles. It's just a name. Take the one you like the most! :)

I can totally understand it in that context, if there are no male children to carry on the name.

I can totally understand it in that context, if there are no male children to carry on the name.
This is us and it kind of upsets me alittle i guess. There are 3 of us. All girls. And my father only had one sister who changed her name after being married so i always wondered if i should've kept my maiden name. I didn't keep it and it's still bothering me. I have pride in my husbands name as well but i just feel bad that my maiden name isn't being carried on. I believe we are the only ones left in the fam that were capable of passing that name on. I've thought of hyphenating but isn't that pointless?

Thanks for posting.That's the reason I wanted to discuss- I was hoping for an international perspective. A few classmates and I (one brazilian, 2 american) were discussing a friend who is deciding whether to take her future husband's but doesn't want to because it's a very unfortunate name. Our Brazilian friend listened for awhile and finally asked why it was such a big deal, that women in Latin America often don't take their husband's name but they give it to the children. We told her it felt more like a family and she looked at all of us like we were crazy. It got me thinking because it was something I always thought of as a norm but it depends on where you live I guess.

I don't have a problem with it. I've never been a fan of women having to drop their last name anyway, especially considering many societies don't and how this got started in the first place. I met a boy in Junior High who said he was going to take his wife's name when he got married. I've read stories from men who've done it which are quite interesting.

If my FH wanted to I wouldn't object. I plan to hyphenate out of respect for him and to keep my professional and personal life separate. But if he wanted my name, the only difference would be I'd add my maiden name to our children's names and since there are only girls in my family that would mean my father's name would be more likely to continue on to the next generation. I'm all for that! :toocool:

I know a couple who switched to a hyphenated versions of both their last names when they got married. Honestly, there are quite a few POS "men" out there who don't deserve to have their last names passed down to their son's wives or their future grandchildren.

when I read this article, I actually started thinking mmore about what the value of a 'unified' last name and what that means for a family where everyone doesnt have the same last name. etc

I'm not sure I would go this particular road. but it made me think more and more that I might keep mine if I got married.

I know of another Jewish man who hyphenated his last name with his wife's. He married an only child and he and his father-in-law bonded as if they were blood relatives. I think the wife's name was hyphenated and when they had their first child, they decided to hyphenate the kids name and the man just legally changed his own after the fact.

I thought it was weird when I first heard the story but when I watched the two men interact the affection between the two was apparent.

In the US, when a name ends in -stein, -berg/burg, finkle, etc it's usually a Jewish family

Lowenstein, Schoenberg, Schoenstein, Ginsburg, Levin, Levine, Levinstein, Greenstein, Greenberg, Scheer and that's not even the ortho jews with the legit non westernized Jewish names

In the US, when a name ends in -stein, -berg/burg, finkle, etc it's usually a Jewish family

Lowenstein, Schoenberg, Schoenstein, Ginsburg, Levin, Levine, Levinstein, Greenstein, Greenberg, Scheer and that's not even the ortho jews with the legit non westernized Jewish names
I know. Those names are all German, except for Levin, but his particular name happens to be Swedish.

I live in Quebec, Canada and here your maiden name is your legal name. You can't change your name because you got married.

It makes things less complicated in my opinion.
That's how it should be. I'm married, but I really don't want to change my last name although DH wants it. Can't wait until this archaic mess goes away.

Back