Why Are Aveda's Hair Products So Expensive?

vtoodler

After getting recommendations on the forum, I considered trying Aveda's Damage Remedy and Dry Remedy shampoos.

However, the prices are so unbelievably high that I was immediately taken aback. Is anyone else surprised by Aveda's prices?

Does the quality/effectiveness of Aveda products justify the high prices?

Their products aren't that good. I spent $30 on a small tube of a supposedly effective hair reconstructor (damage remedy) and it did nothing for me. Nothing special about the ingredients either. They said you have to keep using it to see feel a change. Eh, well, w/one use of Aubrey GPB's reconstructor I felt an immediate difference-- and not for $30.

If you go to the Aveda salon they will give you samples of what you'd like to try. I just went and picked up samples of their full Be Curly line. Go give it a try if you have a store near you.

Theresamonet

I do like WEN 613. I felt an immediate difference in my hair and I've used it 3 times to wash my hair and 4 times as a leave in (4th was today). I bought a gift set of WEN 613 Cleansing Treatment and Replenishing Spray and I liked WEN Fig. I gave the last of my WEN Fig to my cousin who recently transitioned to natural. I'm not sure if I will buy more WEN 613 though until they have a Christmas sale. And that presumes I don't end up liking the Renpure Ren Rosemary Mint cleansing conditioner that I found at Walgreen's for $9.49 for 16 oz.

Unfortunately, this could apply to a lot of hair products.

Aveda Damage Remedy is okay but I now know as a recovering product junkie that there are tons of other cheaper options for every expensive product. I picked the Damage Remedy Treatment a while back at the Aveda salon for an additional $30.

I posted about it here:
http://goingnaturaltransitioningtonaturalhair.com/aveda-institute-flat-iron-34-weeks-and-2-days-post-relaxer/

naturalmanenyc girl I always love your reviews. You know what you want, and make sure to let them know. It's unfortunate you have not been lucky getting better service. I am also in NY, and debating whether to do my first flat iron (September 20th) myself or go to a "professional". Would you recommend any?
I'm a SL 4b/c.

Aveda is too much money for no reason. I tried dry remedy and it was too heavy. The damage repair one, they gave me a leave in and it broke my hair all the time. One day, I asked one of the workers if I could use one of their conditioners as a cowash. I actually wanted to ask the black women who worked there, but the stupid guy insisted he help me and then questioned why I want to wash my hair with conditioner. Then I went to another store in NYC at grand central station and the white knew what I was talking about. I wound up taking any products I bought back because they were alway heavy and waxy or light and breaking my hair.

I'm using their light element serum and that stuff is a joke. It's toooooo light. I might as well seal with air I feel it does absolutely nothing. I'm still trying to decide how much I paid for it and if that's why I keep it around.

Please excuse my iPhone; it's trying to get it together

last month I spent $30 on their tiny Light Elements for molding and sculpting. I saw the ingredients were all chemical and had carnuba wax (though my hair doesnt mind wax). But had to try it anyway.

Gave me the best twist out I ever had on natural hair. And it DID do as it advertised. My Type 4b+ was easy to style, not greasy, it was fluffy and soft and it lasted all day. That rarely happens.

Unfortunately, it started breaking my hair off within that week. I had to clarify, chelate and did a little dusting. Granted it needed a trim and there were little breaks here and there but this was A LOT--like 5 times what I was experiencing.

I lusted after Aveda, tried it, and now the thrill is gone. Never again.

Last year I picked up the anti-humectant pomade (to use whenever I do blowouts or use a flat iron). It was $20 for a tiny jar of 2.6oz. I was so disappointed and learned a valuable lesson as well- just because its expensive doesn't mean it's better.

That $20 pomade was no different than a $3 jar of hair grease.

While on vacation two years ago, I got tons of the rosemary and mint shampoo and conditioners ( the hotel stocked them, and I used them daily). It was an okay product, but it didn't make me want to spend all that money on purchasing full sizes of them. I have found other rosemary and mint shampoos for $5, so IMO, it's not worth the price for Aveda's brand.

I think you're paying for a brand and not necessarily quality.

You want a good pomade, try Garnier finishing paste. I have LP hair and never had buildup or breakage with it.

I wonder the same thing about Wen? $70 for 32oz. is a huge turnoff for me.

@Theresamonet

I do like WEN 613. I felt an immediate difference in my hair and I've used it 3 times to wash my hair and 4 times as a leave in (4th was today). I bought a gift set of WEN 613 Cleansing Treatment and Replenishing Spray and I liked WEN Fig. I gave the last of my WEN Fig to my cousin who recently transitioned to natural. I'm not sure if I will buy more WEN 613 though until they have a Christmas sale. And that presumes I don't end up liking the Renpure Ren Rosemary Mint cleansing conditioner that I found at Walgreen's for $9.49 for 16 oz.
Theresamonet, naturalmanenyc

I get mine from QVC. I'm not too particular about scent so I guess that helps. I've used all of them over the past five years, I still can't tell a big difference. Anywho... I get it (2) 16 0z bottles/$40 from QVC on auto-ship.

Pomegranate and Sweet Almond Mint

Tea Tree and Sweet Almond Mint

^they sure love pushing almond mint. You never see such sets for Fig

Aveda is Estee Lauders high end hair care products just like Keratase is for Loreal. If OP thinks Aveda prices are crazy she should see Keratase. :lol:

I still use the damage remedy poo and conditioner every now and then. The reconstructor was my protein before I switch to joico now using ssi okra

Aveda is Estee Lauders high end hair care products just like Keratase is for Loreal. If OP thinks Aveda prices are crazy she should see Keratase. :lol:

I still use the damage remedy poo and conditioner every now and then. The reconstructor was my protein before I switch to joico now using ssi okra

I won't even buy Karestase products when I find them on sale for (relatively) cheap. No sense falling in love with products I can't afford to keep using.

Ikr?!

Hmmm, didn't know Estee owned Aveda. I don't care too much for Aveda but I'm on a personal boycott against EL. How you gon sell a compact and then not have the refill in my color??? At Macy's 34th st?! As many colored people as there are in NYC?! And then gon get stink when I pressed them about it! *** that. And I grew up on Estee. :nono: Totally disgusted with them, and Aveda can get it too. :catfight: :lol:

Yes, Kerastase ain't no joke- Aveda is cheap in comparison- but that Ciment Thermique is the truth, I can't deny it. :yep:

Kerastase is good. I have the oleo relax serum that's the truth. It's a big bottle that takes a while to use.

Last edited:
ronie

:grin: Thanks! I've been at this far too long to allow anyone to tell me what's best for my hair.

A salon that I would try again for a blow out and flat iron is Joseph Tyler: http://www.yelp.com/biz/joseph-tyler-salon-brooklyn

I've also been considering the Carol's Daughter salon in Harlem, Mirror: http://www.carolsdaughter.com/mirror-salon.html

Thanks for the suggestions. I think i might try Joseph Tyler, and i will let you know how it went. Carol's daughter looks good too, but i am afraid they will use their products on my hair, and my hair hated the monoi line.

I don't necessarily mind their prices since other salon brands are just as expensive. My problem with Aveda products is just that they don't live up to their hype for me. For those prices I want fantastic results and I just wasn't getting that.

Ikr?!

Hmmm, didn't know Estee owned Aveda. I don't care too much for Aveda but I'm on a personal boycott against EL. How you gon sell a compact and then not have the refill in my color??? At Macy's 34th st?! As many colored people as there are in NYC?! And then gon get stink when I pressed them about it! *** that. And I grew up on Estee. :nono: Totally disgusted with them, and Aveda can get it too. :catfight: :lol:

I do the same. If a company has a full line of makeup and skincare and no brown shades, I boycott any and everything made by that company.

ronie

Yep, they do use their products. I found a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEFWoeQ-LdM

They don't appear to offer any other product lines like most salons.

944559_428634580565117_1923592773_n.jpg

936213_428634603898448_1490996811_n.jpg

Last edited:
Aveda used to be worth the price when it carried the Sap Moss line, the Cherry Almond Bark line, and that deep conditioner. It's no longer worth it.

Back