Do you think expensive is better? Do costly products and salons make your hair better

Do you think expensive is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Do you think expensive is better? Do costly products and salons make your hair be

I've tried many expensive products that did nothing for my hair. And some of the cheap ones are good as well; it really depends on the ingredients and the intended use of the products.

I've been to expensive upscale salons and they did nothing for my hair. Most of them I've been to, had my hair looking like an amateur did my hair. In fact, I think the stylists were so used to having clients who wants weaves; that they don't know how to style one's own hair.

I went to one upscale stylist and paid $80 for a relaxer. It came out nice (she was the only upscale stylist who was able to make my hair look nice) and silky, but she wouldn't tell me a thing about what she used on my hair; not even the relaxer she used! Besides, she was so lazy and slow that it took 5 hrs for a relaxer.

So, that's why I'm content in my "nothing special" Dominican salon: they care for my hair and is never lazy to do a rollerset and does not only dry the hair by blow drying. :rolleyes: And I now pay half the price for my relaxer and have great results. :grin:

Re: Do you think expensive is better? Do costly products and salons make your hair be

My favorite conditioners and deep conditioners are Pantene, Tresemme, and Silk Elements. I was really disappointed by the more expensive products I bought, especially a Fekkai mask that left my hair dry and tangled. :nono: The Redken mask I used wasn't that great either.

I don't buy the expensive brands/lines. I don't think it's necessary.

I think there is a difference between expensive and quailty; however, quality products may be expensive. I also think that expensive is subjectively determined by one's income and ses - what's expensive for me will not be for others, and what's cheap to me may seem a bit priecy for others.

More to the point, when I'm buying hair and skin care products, my focus is what works for my hair and getting the best quality I can afford - an idea I apply to all of my purchases. I've been desperately poor in my distant past; it's not something one forgets. There are some things I'll never buy no matter what because of that - top ramen comes to mind :nono::lachen:. I have paid the cost to be where I am with my $54 conditioner, and I'm going to continue to work it.

Expensive is not necessarily better, cheaper is not necessarily low quality.

I have moved from high end salon only to products that have great quality. My hair still looks very healthy and strong. Good ingredients are key and you don't have to spend a lot of $$$$ to get them.

Quality products are about the ingredients, not the price. I pay $3 for my NTM Cream Lather shampoo and get just as good results as someone who pays for salon shampoo. I just bought a $10 bottle of Nexxus Humectress Luxe Leave-in to try it and my $4 Aussie Hair Insurance makes my hair feel better than the Nexxus does.

The only products I shell out a little extra for are Nexxus Humectress & Redken Heat Protectant. These are STAPLES of mine and my hair loves them.

The rest of my routine (poo, DC, and daily moisturizer ) is satisfied w/ drugstore brands and products from the indian store which are very inexpensive yet very effective. :)

Throughout my hair journey I've always stuck to salon brands, but recently I've started wondering if bss products are just as good. I doubt I'll ever use anything by VO5 or Suave, but eventually I might use more bss brands.

I don't think expensive is necessarly better but it is most of the time. Eventhough my favorite products are under $10 with the exception of alter ego and my protein treatments.

My new favorite love is NTM shampoo...it feels like conditioner and when i wash it out my hair feels soooooooooooooooo soft. and is under $7.

IMO just speaking only for my experience with my hair, it seems overall the costly products seem to do justice in my hair than the cheaper ones do. I've tried so many, and not all of course but d... near close. I've purchased all of the VO5 cond. for example and they seem to do nothing for me, and on the other hand I've tried Aveda DR shampoo and made my hair feel like silk! Every thing out there whether expensive or cheap will not work for everyone. As far as being cheap the Indian oils are not expensive and they do wonders for my hair and on the other hand I've tried the Argan oil and it seems to not have done nothing noticable for me.

So you see you can't judge a book by it's cover just because it's cheap or expensive, it all depends on yr hair type and what works best for you the individual!

Expensive is usually better because the quality of the ingredients is better in them. Having said that, the ORS line is surprisingly high quality and works as well or better than some high end lines. Also, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil doesn't even fall in that category and is probably the most beneficial for many afro-textured hair types.

I do agree that Affirm, Design Essentials and Mizani are the best relaxers.

I have found that when I spend money on a core treatment (for me BKT), I can save money on maintenance products, so I voted "Price doesn't matter". After all, I'm not going to ignore nutrition or utilities to make sure my hair looks good, but I am willing to splurge a little on something that lasts several months and saves me a grip on supplemental products in the long run. What I save on salons and maintenance products more than makes up for what I spend on BKT.

I voted that price doesn't matter at all... Reason why..When I was relaxed.. I used nothing but Cheap products (the college student budget!) and my hair grew perfectly fine.. it's about the technique for me..

Expensive is not necessarily better, cheaper is not necessarily low quality.

I have moved from high end salon only to products that have great quality. My hair still looks very healthy and strong. Good ingredients are key and you don't have to spend a lot of $$$$ to get them.

Price matters not. Ingredients and your hair's response is what makes the difference.

Here is a review I did. I literally parted my hair down the middle and applied and exensive product on one side and a cheapie product on the other.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=428268

I agree with these. Expensive is a state of mind and pockets.Price doesn't mean quality.

Doesn't mean my $16 Healthy Sexy Hair Sulfate Free Shampoo 13 oz isn't expensive to me, Or My Hair One Shampoo for $11 for 12oz isn' expensive, I use Nexxus Therappe, Humectress and Emergencee these for me are expensive but I like them and they work for me.

Do I think they are better because of their expense, NOPE I think they are expensive because of the name brand. Better because of their ingredients.

APhogee has been my Ace Boon Coon since 1995 awesome product, and these are cheap, I've used them since I had lint in my pocket and still do.

I use Motions relaxer, motions neutralizing conditioner, motions moisture plus, and I take this to the salon to get this applied. I don't use affirm, mizani, Aveda (which I am curious to try). Phyto line does nothing for my hair.

I don't think price matters. Most of the products I use cost below $10.00 and my hair is doing quite well. That being said, I do love to slurge on more costly conditioners sometimes. They feel like a real treat. Aveda, Redken, etc. But they are not required for healthy hair.

I voted "Price doesn't matter at all."

For me, ingredients and technique matter. :yep: All I do is avoid ingredients that have been harmful to my hair in the past, and look for ingredients that work for me. Honestly, many lower cost products work better for me than expensive ones. So, I just use what works, and that is not dictated by price. That being said, while I will spend $$ for a product that works, I will search high and low until I find a cheaper alternative - and there has not been a time that I was not able to do just that. I don't like wasting money.

But mostly, it is technique. The way that I wash, dry, treat, and style, and handle my hair - and my arsenal of natural oils - have greatly helped.

the cheap products that work for me are ORS, CON, aphogee and mango butter. my hair hates pantene, suave, VO5, garnier, mane n' tail and many others. most of them make my hair feel stripped. i don't know if its the water here or the products, probably a comb of both.

i don't think its necessarily related to price. my hair also hates paul mitchell products but i tend not to experiment as much with the more expensive brands.

I err towards the more expensive brands as that's what seems to work for me. Not all of them of course. Also the salon brands that I have work out to be more economical in the long run because they are so concentrated, so I don't have to be quite so heavy handed whereas I tend to go through the cheaper brands more quickly.

But then what is the definition of expensive? I wouldn't call spending £14/£15 (24USD) particularly expensive but it may be for other folks, I don't know... I love Aveda, and I use it because it works for me.

Last edited:

I chose price doesn't matter because I buy cheap and expensive products. I've had both work and not work for my hair. Just because you pay $$$ for a product does not mean it will work on your hair. Most of us here know not to sleep on a 4.99 leave in just because it's cheap. I use what works, I could care less about cost.

Price does not matter. I have been using motions, aussie, sauve, and scurl as my staples and I have gone from a couple of inches to almost apl in about 3 years(used to be scissor happy). It has a lot to do with what you do to your hair not what you use on it in.

I've tried a ton of different product lines. Keracare works the best for me as a whole, and I consider it to be expensive. However, I buy it online, so it's cheaper. I also supplement it with some cheapies like Cholesterol.

I choose that price doesn't matter at all... I've tried cheap and pricey salon quality products and the price tag was not an indicator of quality at all. I love KeraCare products not because of the price but because my hair loves the stuff.

I err towards the more expensive brands as that's what seems to work for me. Not all of them of course. Also the salon brands that I have work out to be more economical in the long run because they are so concentrated, so I don't have to be quite so heavy handed whereas I tend to go through the cheaper brands more quickly.

But then what is the definition of expensive? I wouldn't call spending £14/£15 (24USD) particularly expensive but it may be for other folks, I don't know... I love Aveda, and I use it because it works for me.

I agree - quality products go a lot further than the cheap ones. I do believe you get what you pay for ... usually. If a manufacturer/seller uses quality ingredients then you won't get it for a song - especially in places like the US where production and import costs are so high. Some sellers overcharge or they lie about their formulas so you pay a lot but you don't get good results. These are things to take into consideration. I'm not looking to overpay but I have no problem paying for quality.

I've tried a lot of conditioners and some of the best ones I've found are the cheapies in the drugstore.

I think some expensive products are good, but then again what do most call "Cheap" and "Expensive"?

My hair Likes Suave Coconut Conditioner ONLY! (CHEAP) $1.79
S-curl- (CHEAP) 32oz. $6.99
Aphogee (CHEAP) $10.00 (use every 6-8 weeks)
Baking Soda Shampoo- (VERY CHEAP)$ .98
Infusium Leave In- (CHEAP) $4.00

Mizani Butter Blend Relaxer- (EXPENSIVE) $45.00 But I will never use nothing else since I tried this one and it will last a Long time doing 4 month stretches.

My hair grows just fine! Relaxed/Texturized or Natural

No, price does not matter as much as ingredients and care for your hair.

No, not neccearily. I came back from the stylist the other day with some really dry hair. While she was washing my hair out of the corner of my eye I could see she was using tresseme. Obviously doesn't do much. :ohwell: I prefer my Garnier.

^^^ I thought Tresemme and Garnier are both drugstore brands, no?

Personally, I Love "Expensive" Hair Products and Love them better when they're on Sale or at a Discount.:grin:

I have a variety of 'stuff' so, it honestly depends how it works on my hair. I have Elasta QP Mango Butter and I have KBB or SSI Hair Butter. I have IC Fantasia Serum, and I have Keratase Serum:perplexed

So, for me, it all depends.:look:

I use V05, Suave Tropical Coconut and other(s) for my Henna Rinse Out and they Work GREAT.

And probably wouldn't be at all 'opposed' to using them as a regular co-washer, I just choose not to.

So for me, variety is the spice of Life.:lick:

*Yeah.....I'm a PJ and I approve this message*:lachen:

Back