• Mother

Votes: 24 14.8%
  • Father

Votes: 36 22.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Combination

Votes: 81 50.0%
  • Other (like grandmother, or other extended family)

Votes: 14 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

candy626

Thought this could be a fun one.

I inherit my hair from my mother. We both have the same 3c/4a hair that is relaxer resistant, very fine, and sometimes prone to frizz.

Last edited:
My maternal grandmother but her hair grew way faster than mine. She's the only family member I seen that had waist length hair. She always said if I stopped cutting my hair mine would grow that long too.

no clue. mom has been relaxed since I can remember. only did recently she BC and will not allow her hair to grow beyond her boy cut.

so her hair and my father's hair are the same length. can't tell any of their textures.

Easy. My dad. His side of the family has thickness and length. My whole childhood my mom complained that she wished she had my thickness. Although she said it mostly as a compliment, you could tell it was true and I always felt guilty...like it was my fault.

As far as the women on my mom's side, I can't really be sure what their hair looked like because those Divas were in weaves before weaves were in style. But I could always judge cousins. And cousins on my dad's side had thick hair. On my mom's side, not so much.

My mom :cries:

its so thin..but on the other hand its soft and cottony

I was doing my cousin's hair and it is sooo thick (natural). I was telling her she is lucky and she didn't believe me. She is 14 and still insecure about her hair. She doesn't know how lucky she is..

My hair is like my grandmothers. She relaxes once a year. Her hair is thick (use to be thicker). It is silky 4a/3c mix. I think hers may be silkier than mine because my hair has more of a sheen where she has more of a shine.

Both my mom and dad have course 4a/4b. I've always known my hair was different from my parents.

My hair strands are 4something and very fine like my mom's. I'm able to retain length much easier than her though, which could be attributed to my dad's 3something hair type.

I have no idea...but I do know I have my Mom's hairline and it drives me nuts. I've never really seen my Dad's hair 'cause he kept it really low. My paternal grandmother, the only one I met, always kept her hair covered.

I like this @ Candy! lol It's funny because so many ppl ask me where do I inherit my thick hair from. I mostly say my mom but after looking at old pics of my dad from back in the day...I have to say both. lol

This is a cool thread.

I'm definitely a combo. The texture is almost exclusively from my mom's side. She and I (and most of her sisters) have extremely fine, wispy hair. It is kinky but straightens (with heat, not chemicals) incredibly easy. It's really soft. However, I do have some patches of coarse hair that are definitely from my dads side. My moms hair is silky. Mine is spongy and cottony. I remember my mom commenting all the time about how the back of my head was from one side and the front was from another.

My curl pattern is from both sides. It's kinky. My dads hair is wiry and wavy, but from the pictures I've seen, he had a bonafide 'fro back in the day. I'm pretty sure the curl pattern changed when he went gray.

The color and thickness are both from my dad's side. My natural color is much lighter than the color in my signature. No one in my immediate family has light hair, but it runs on my dad's side.

Think I typed enough? :)

I was blessed with a combo..cooly in the front nappy in the back. Daddy got the cooly, fine & thin hair, Mommy got the coarse & nappy. My Mama also has red hair and I inherited that too. I have to put in work for that dark colour in my siggy:yep:

I'm unsure. By the time I really started looking at hair, my mom's hair was thinned out from heat damage and my dad's was damaged from color :)look:).

My momma

At one point she had tailbone length hair (I think she's a 3a). Maybe also my grandma on my father's side as well. She had very long, natural hair. Not sure what her texture was since it was always in a bun (my guess 3C/4A)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

My mother's hair is soft, thick and coily. My hair seems to be more like my dads and if it wasn't for him recently deciding to grow his hair out just to see what it would look like I wouldn't know that I get my hair from him. His hair is slightly silky, curly and slightly thin.

My hair is after my dad and his sisters. My hair is wavy with spiral curl ends, soft-textured but relaxer-resistant. My Dad has soft spiral curls and his sisters have wavy indian-ish hair.

My Mom has thick strong fast growing cottony hair. She rocked a big 'fro in the 70s! My Dad's hair was a head of shrunk spiral curls. He'd pick them out and they'd curl back up.

Definitely my father. My hair is fine and has the same texture as his. My mom's strands are thicker so I can tell when she uses my comb and hair stuff. lol

They say you get your hair from yourmothet, but I wouldn't know as my.mother's hair has been in witness protection for about 4 decades. She relaxes bi weekly at times, so her hair texture is anyone's guess. My dad has grown his hair out, much to my dismay, and he appears to have soft coils. My texture is Dar tighter than his so who knows. Maybe my hair is from the milkman.

My father - we're hair twins. My mother's genes must not be very strong, because none of us kids have her features or hair, lol.

My mom and them

Thank God only because I don't know my Aunts so I don't know how the textures and whatnots run on that side.

I *used* to have hair like my dad. But since I let my hair grow out again, only my left hemisphere is like dad's (what I call "kinky straight"), but the right hemisphere...? It's from the milkman or something! LOL It's *completely* seriously different. More 4a-ish I think. And they are completely separated by hemisphere. SO weird. I'm honestly not quite sure how to style it.

My mom has fine, 3c hair.

mine is kind of a mixture of both
my dad has naturally straight hair with a slight wave hes somewhere in between 1b and 2a and my mom has super thick kinky 4b/c hair. my natural hair is 3c/4a, its very thick and kinky and has a very tight curl pattern
my dads hair grows super fast but has hin hair so i think i get my growth from him but i get the thickness from my mom

Back