• Mother

Votes: 24 14.8%
  • Father

Votes: 36 22.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Combination

Votes: 81 50.0%
  • Other (like grandmother, or other extended family)

Votes: 14 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Definately my father...i have his texture which is 3b/4a, his sisters had WL hair growing up in Jamaica...now one is bald (by choice) and the other has APL blond colored dreadlocks...lol..my mother has 4b hair that is fine and very cottony.

I'd have to say both. My mom has always had her hair permed as long as i've known her...but it has always been thick...it's starting to thin out a little bit tho now. My dad also had a really thick fro back in the day....the story goes...his hair was naturally curly but he had a bad blowout and apparently he suffered heat damage because it didn't curl back up.

I suspect i have my texture from both though:yep:

Fun thread!!:D

Thickness: Dad's side for sure, mom complains about her thin waves-curls and how she wishes she could have hair as thick as mine. :lol:

Texture: Combination for sure-Mom's hair is fine, thin, a mix of waves and curls; dad's hair is coarse, dense, tiny curls. My hair is mostly small ringlets, with bigger 3-something curls in the longest part of my hair which have an almost "wavy" look about them. Esp. in comparison to the rest of my head. :grin:

my hair is exactly like my mom. type 4, fine strands, medium-low density. and finicky as hayell to boot :nono:

idk, I think it's a combination. I know I get the thickness from my dad's side...the rest I think is from my mom

Definitely my Dad's hair. Mom's hair is 3c/4a, fine, and straightens out with a blow dry or roller set. Mine is 4b kinky, fine and prone to dryness, although it does relax to a nice, swingy texture with the right products.

I get my hair from both. My mom has very fine hair like me. My dad had wavy/curly 4a hair that I inherited. I got the color from mama though, daddy was a natural red head that colored his hair! The funny thing is both my kids got their color from him and my son and daughter have gold highlights in the summer.

Yeah, I've never seen my mothers natural hair texture :lachen: my BC was the first time I saw mine :lol:

My son got my mothers hair color though. It skipped me
:yep: This thread had me think about it and I have never witnesses my mom with her natural hair texture and I don't remember my dad. When my son was born he had red hair which I am told my mother had when she was younger.

Definately from my dad - thick/wiry strands and early gray hairs. My mum has a fine texture and is soft.

My texture is a mix of both parents, my dad has curly 3 b hair while my mom is 4c or thereabouts. I ended up with a 4b..that zig zag-not defined- curl pattern. I definitely got my thickness from my father....he's like 60 and i swear he has the same thick head of hair he had 30 yrs ago lol

Last edited:
I voted neither. My mom is a fine textured 4a and my dad is a type 1. My hair is 3b/3c and fine in the front and the back and medium textured in the middle.

My Dad. Back in the day he used to rock that 'homey the clown' look. Bald in the middle with a big afro on the sides. To make things more fun, that bald middle was covered with baby fine hair.

From my forehead to my crown my hair is real thin. It takes that whole are to make one dinky pencil braid. Thanks Dad. :ohwell:

Last edited:
My dad. Ironically his mother had a.combo Of type 3 hair. His father also had 4a hair. My mother had 4a/3c hair and I was too young to remember her mother's hair.

My dad and my grandmother. I am 3C. My DD is 3b / 3C combination. I think she took the 3b from my husbands father.

I voted both. I have my dad soft, fine texture along the sides and the nape and my mothers coarse,thick hair on the crown and top. It's really hard trying to deal with the two textures. The top and crown loves moisture, while the sides and back needs lots of protein.

My mom had some sort of silky type 2 hair. My hair looks like hers when it is wet. So I guess I have a combination of both my parents hair.

Curls from my dad thickness from my mother. He was like a 3a/b and she is like a 4c or something. So I am somewhere in between.

Definitely my father's side: curly, soft, fine, very thin, low density, hard to retain length. My mother's side has strong hair that swings when it's flat ironed. Mine sort of lays there.

Back