Who actually likes their stylist? (spinoff)

tarheelgurl

The thread about people hating in the salons got me to thinking about my own stylist.
I love, love, love my stylist! She nursed my hair back after a hospital stay, She marks in her book each time she DCs so she knows when I am due as well as relaxers and protein treatments. She only trims my hair when it needs it (she inspects it once a month) and then she even just trims what needs to be trimmed while keeping the style. She really tries to help me find styles that I can maintain with only a little bit of hair handling.

I have had my share of horror stories with salons and stylists in the past but my stylist now is a wonderful person and professional cosmotologist.

Does anyone else like their stylist?

:confused: I don't go to the salon anymore (since june 06)....but I must say my old stylist was awesome at first.....(I went to him for 6 years) he helped me transition by pressing my new growth and slowly cut off all the permed hair.....(so I never had to do the BC) he would do a GREAT job of pressing soo damn thick,shiny and bouncy....then he started getting crazy trying to charge $100 for a press and curl:eek: and asking to borrow money (ok I did lend him $100) then he asked me to lend him $300 ..WTH...plus I would sit there for four to six hours...he was soooo slow...& then he started having an ATTITUDE....I had to let him GO!!! I referred about 25 people to him and everyone has since stopped going ...I was the last to leave.....
:lol: :lol:....ooohh the original question..so no I don't like the stylist anymore:confused:....Your stylist sounds wonderful.....you are blessed to have such a caring person taking care of your hair!!!

I like my stylist, I have been with her for about 13 years. She doesn't pressure me to relax or trim and when I want a cut she is apprehensive-never scissor happy.

She is always making sure that her assistants comb me out the CORRECT way because she knows my hair will shed badly if it's not done right. She also monitors my shedding and does protein treatments when needed. She nursed my sister's hair back to health after a relaxer broke her hair out. She may not always have the newest and coolest appliances or products but she stays as up-to-date with things as she can being a person that does not own a computer. But, she is careful and respectful of other people's hair.

I love my stylist :grin: :grin: :grin: !

I actually have two, one for rollersets & one for my texturizers. Both of them know my hair very well and understand what works for me and what doesn't. The one who does my rollersets is extremely encouraging about stretching my relaxers for long periods of time and does treatments on my hair depending on what it needs. She also knows that I want to limit the heat that I use, so she blows my roots on medium-cool settings. Most importantly, she knows I want swanging waist-length hair, so she doesn't bother me about trims and other hairdresser drama. I been going to her for 2 years now, and I she loves to tell people how she grew my hair :lol: . I let her do it though, because she's partly right...

I don't see the stylist that texturizes my hair too often being that I stretch so long. He is the only person I've found that understands that I have fine hair and that if he relaxed it bone straight, I'd basically have no hair left. He always manages to texturize to the same degree each time, so my hair is basically an even texture throughout (that's hard to comeby when you texlax).

There are good stylists out there!!! You just have to hunt, do your research, and refust to settle/get tricked into a trim that turns into a 3inch cut. I really believe there are people that really like doing hair and love when they have clients with healthy hair.

I haven't gone to my hairsalon in a long time because they moved. However, the recent threads regarding bad stylists made me appreciate the ladies there more and I'm looking to start going again. I looked them up yesterday and I found their new location so I'm very happy about that. I'm gonna start going there for a set periodically, trims and relaxer since the ladies there actually listened to me and they believe in proper haircare. I've never experienced any hair drama or damage when they did my hair. When I left there, my hair always felt so strong even though they used a flat iron(with heat protectant) to style my hair. I remember when I went for a trim the one stylist that did my hair most of the time let me hold the mirror so I could watch her trim and she always asked for permission to do anything. They also do an excellent job relaxing as they only relaxed new growth and the woman who did my hair was soo fast.

I'm really looking forward to going since I'm finding it a little challenging styling my hair as it is getting longer. I still haven't mastered the roller set and wrap so I'm going there soon to learn from them by watching so I can rock a straight look without too much body. I also find going to the salon a theraputic experience. It's nice to have someone else do my hair once a while instead of having to always do it myself.

I have been going to my stylist for nearly 14 yrs and he has been a godsend. I watched him as he outgrew the salon he started at and moved from there to another co-workers salon and then opened his own salon. He originally did not texlax my hair, it was done by a trichologist at the first salon I went to. But when he went on his own he kept my hair as good as the trichologist did and texlaxed it consistently at the same degree each time. He trims my hair every six weeks(as per my request) and only takes off the tiniest amount. He listens to my suggestions like when I requested to relax my nape last instead of first, change to a mild relaxer etc. He has done my hair for my wedding and has kept my hair picture perfect. The only thing I will start doing now is to start stretching my relaxers to every 8 weeks and even longer if I can.( I was one of those relax every 6 weeks girls mainly because my hair grew extremely fast...at 6 weeks I have nearly 8 weeks worth of growth). He is not a hair hater either, he has clients with long, short and medium hair. I trust him enough to cut my daughters hair for her first real trim.
Finding a good stylist isn't easy but is possible, just study other womens hair and when you see someone with nice hair just ask them who their stylist is. Go for a consultation and feel things out before committing to a salon, especially with all the hair haters out there.

I love my stylist. I don't go as much as I used to, do to stretching and growing out my hair. But when I told her I wanted to grow my hair she was all for it.
In August I came to her demanding a cut. My hair was near shoulder and I was hot from the new york weather. She asked me 4 times if I was sure (my crazy butt said yes) then she cut a little at a time. Always asking is this good enough.
I ended up making her cut my hair to above my ear. Which I regretted 3 months later when I decided to grow it out again.
The last time I saw her she vowed not to cut my hair again. She also told me I did not need to get a trim because my ends were good. She told me to continue doing whatever I am doing.
I wish I could go to her more but she is expensive and I want to only get relaxed 4-5 times a year.

I do. Balisi(board memeber) is wonderful. She is patient, kind and cares about how I feel regarding my hair. And low prices dont hurt either:lol: 15 for a rollerset outside of NY is hard to find.

londonjakki said:
:confused: I don't go to the salon anymore (since june 06)....but I must say my old stylist was awesome at first.....(I went to him for 6 years) he helped me transition by pressing my new growth and slowly cut off all the permed hair.....(so I never had to do the BC) he would do a GREAT job of pressing soo damn thick,shiny and bouncy....then he started getting crazy trying to charge $100 for a press and curl:eek: and asking to borrow money (ok I did lend him $100) then he asked me to lend him $300 ..WTH...plus I would sit there for four to six hours...he was soooo slow...& then he started having an ATTITUDE....I had to let him GO!!! I referred about 25 people to him and everyone has since stopped going ...I was the last to leave.....
:lol: :lol:....ooohh the original question..so no I don't like the stylist anymore:confused:....Your stylist sounds wonderful.....you are blessed to have such a caring person taking care of your hair!!!

$100 for a press and curl!!:eek: WOW! Sorry he didn't work out......I am sending you good vibes ~~~ to help you a great stylist the next time you go looking for one!

I am a loyal person by nature, and i think that is the key to good hair. A lot of times, blk wm don't know about hair health, but we know about styles. Virtually anyone can cut hair nowadays, but not many people can GROW hair! I can always go to the hair cuttery and get a cheap-n-chic cut, but i want someone who can do more for me. Thats why i stick to the lady i know now... Novlette @ Ebony Hair Salon in the Lauderhill Mall, in Lauderhill, FL. She is an older jamaican lady and i think she is pretty open to new things. She uses raittail combs sometimes, but i am sure if you bring your own comb she can use that too. She doesn't use spritz, has pretty flexible hours, friendly and such. She is also, pretty good with cuts. (Duplicated the Sienna Miller cut for me last summer). Best hair braider i know is Nesha... She is all about perfecting her craft. She does African braiding, and rubs a little tip of super glue to the ends of your shreads/micros to keep the from washing out. (hell to take out though). PM for the numbers to Nesha or Novlette.

bravenewgirl87 said:
I am a loyal person by nature, and i think that is the key to good hair. A lot of times, blk wm don't know about hair health, but we know about styles. Virtually anyone can cut hair nowadays, but not many people can GROW hair! I can always go to the hair cuttery and get a cheap-n-chic cut, but i want someone who can do more for me. Thats why i stick to the lady i know now... Novlette @ Ebony Hair Salon in the Lauderhill Mall, in Lauderhill, FL. She is an older jamaican lady and i think she is pretty open to new things. She uses raittail combs sometimes, but i am sure if you bring your own comb she can use that too. She doesn't use spritz, has pretty flexible hours, friendly and such. She is also, pretty good with cuts. (Duplicated the Sienna Miller cut for me last summer). Best hair braider i know is Nesha... She is all about perfecting her craft. She does African braiding, and rubs a little tip of super glue to the ends of your shreads/micros to keep the from washing out. (hell to take out though). PM for the numbers to Nesha or Novlette.

Ladies please be weary of this. NOTHING good came come from this. NOTHING.

I have known numerous ladies who went from shoulder-APL, who had this done and is now chin length or a broken barely shoulder. Don't do it sistas. :nono:

I've had some great beauticians in the past but they don't make them like they use to. Things have certainly changed.

I had one awesome stylist who moved away. Never knew what happened to her. Either something happened to her or she left to get away from her husband);

I had one that had to stop doing what she did best because she got carpal tunnel.

So I went to the next best beautician in the salon but she started to overbook really badly. I couldn't leave the salon at 2 in the morning any longer.

Had some good ones but no standouts...all of them were just too far away.

Yehia was my last stop and then I was done with stylist/beauticians.

:grin: I loooooove mine! :grin: She's awesome. Not only is she friendly/honest/funny but she listens to my ultimate goals and helps me to get there. When I have a question she takes time to answer my thoroughly and if she doesn't know, she tells me straight out. When I told her I was on a no trim challenge she didn't even flinch. She just said ok and told me my ends were healthy and I could avoid having one. She's definitely a keeper.

I've never been a big salon girl for most of my life my mom did my hair and then my younger sister used me as a practice dummy lol. I did go to my grandmother's stylist a few times and she's really good. When I went natural I didn't really need to go to the salon very much anymore because I could do my own hair. But once I moved to Atlanta I really wanted to start getting my hair done more and the longer my hair gets the more stressful it becomes for me. I just recently started going to Balisi (from the board) and she put my first highlights in and gave me my first rollerset. I LOVE her she's soo good and my hair always lasts for a while. This is the first time in my life that I actually want to go get my hair done lol.

LocksOfLuV said:
Ladies please be weary of this. NOTHING good came come from this. NOTHING.

I have known numerous ladies who went from shoulder-APL, who had this done and is now chin length or a broken barely shoulder. Don't do it sistas. :nono:

Oh, hell yes. At the time, i had just cut my hair so it was kinda short... it took me, my roomie and a friend, 2 bottles of shampoo and condish to get the braids out. They are really convenient to wash and look neat... but HELL to take out. But, she won't do it if you don't want her to. BEWARE: DON'T DO IT IF YOU HAVE LONG HAIR! You can't tell where your hair and the braid ends.

I adore my stylist and everyone that works there. They are professional, courteous and will answer any questions. I have strayed in the past and my hair wanted to kick my butt for that, lol.

I love my curent stylists I have been going to her for about a year. She knows how to handle my natural hair with out ripping it out. Shes caring and gentle.
I haven been to many stylists through the years and they all F** up my hair.

I like my stylist. I've always only gone to him for relaxers though. Everything else I do myself. He does a good job with my relaxer and color and always compliments me on how good my hair is doing. He knows that I now stretch to at least 12 wks (once was 5wks) and he can definitely see the difference.

Can you ladies specify where your stylist is e.g. what state? A lot of us are looking for good hair dressers and if you got one you need to share!!! LOL

Thanks,

MV

My Stylist is cool when she keeps her mouth shut and does what I tell her I want done. That reminds me; I need to make an appointment for this Saturday morning.

I adore my stylist. I've known her for years, but have only been going to her for about 3 years now. I'm usually in and out, no more than 2-1/2 hours, unless she is doing many weaves that day. She supports my hair growth and healthy hair care and tells me to tell my *tricks* that I learn from the board to her other clients, so they can practice healthy hair care at home also. I stretch anywhere from 13-20 weeks, and she will barely put heat on my hair. Just around the edges and roots. She is a Godsend, after leaving someone who jacked my hair up with the cut and color, I have achieved length and we do cute colors that are safe for my hair.

I love love love my stylist. I started going to her while she was still in beauty school and now that she's got her own shop and I am on my healthy hair mission, we're tight! :D If weren't such a cheap a$$ I would go more often for washes, etc.

londonjakki said:
Sounds like he might have developed a drug habit.

OneInAMillion said:
I love my stylist :grin: :grin: :grin: !

There are good stylists out there!!! You just have to hunt, do your research, and refust to settle/get tricked into a trim that turns into a 3inch cut. I really believe there are people that really like doing hair and love when they have clients with healthy hair.
ITA!!! Just as you can't go to any old dentist, doctor, lawyer or manicurist, you can't go to just any old stylist.

tarheelgurl said:
$100 for a press and curl!!:eek: WOW! Sorry he didn't work out......I am sending you good vibes ~~~ to help you a great stylist the next time you go looking for one!

AAAHHHH how sweet of you....:) ..I need all the good vibes I can get...I've been living here for ten years and have had about six different stylist:lol:

Last edited:
balisi said:
Sounds like he might have developed a drug habit.

He was saving to open a few businesses... 2 hair salons, a nightclub and start a haircare line...so he was really money hungry:ohwell:

I had one stylist that I loved!!! I went to her all through high school and my first two years of college. The problem was when I moved away college I had to drive to New Orleans from Mobile every 2 weeks. I tried a couple of stylist out here, but they can't do my hair out here. My stylist had my hair swinging and shining with little or no produtct. The stylist out here tried to convince me to relax my hair more often and they use HAIR GREASE!!!!

For those of you who are interested in finding a good hair stylist in Los Angeles, I highly recommend Rudy of MR 2 Hair and Nail Salon, located at 3852 Crenshaw Boulevard (two blocks north of King Boulevard on the east side of the street--across from Angelus Mortuary). His phone numbers are (323) 294-1712 and (323) 292-7714.

I've been going to him since 1990, and I highly recommend him for the following reasons: He is not a "scissor-happy stylist;" (you will reach your hair goals); his customers have been with him for a very long time, and their hair is healthier and longer than other stylist's customers; he won't tear your hair out while handling it; he doesn't press the hair "bone straight" to the point where there's no body; he's moderately priced; and he allows you to bring in your own hair care products. Let him know in advance if you want to continue to use your staples.

He offers tips that are beneficial for your hair. In addition, he's very mild tempered and patient. So for those of you who are fed up with your "scissor-happy stylist," try Rudy.

Back