Which online dating site was the most effective for you?

met my SO on blackplanet.com we been together for 4 years i agree sometimes when you are not looking you find something really great so i would recommend looking for online friends to meet in real life and if its love great if not you can still respect and be cool with each other
im 26

least effective site was okcupid for me mostly cause there was not a lot of people on the site i thought it would be dead by now but glad to see its coming up again

Recently I met a guy that I've been dating on Match plus made a few new friends.

Met a psycho on blackpeoplemeet. thankful that he moved out of State.

POF is stank-a-dank-dank!!

30-39
Least Effective - Afroromance and Plenty of Fish.
The only two I really tried.

At the beginning of the year I cancelled my account on both sites. I was a member of Afroromance for 8 years. Plenty of Fish 2 years. And I am SO relieved to be done with them both. The thought of each site actually brings me to tears because of the sour experiences that I have had. Today I brought a very frustrating non-relationship to rest and finally have closure from a guy I met on POF. I'm done. I can do better or just as bad on my own.

18-29

I've done OK Cupid and I created a profile on Match though I haven't paid the money yet. I got a lot of messages on OKC without trying but a lot of them were straight up shady. On Match I've seen a couple profiles that sparked my interest which never happened on OKC. I'm still torn on whether I should pay the money. I'm thinking of trying eHarmony.

18-29 (I'm 27)

Definitely Black People Meet. You just have to learn how to weed through guys that are a waste of time (not looking for the same outcome).

E-harmony was okay. My only issue was the limited amount of guys to choose from.

Last edited:
30 - 39 - Paid for a subscription almost 3 weeks ago on Match.com. I have had two dates and have another lined up with a different man. I really didn't put much effort into my profile, but go a lot of hits within the matter of hours, which really surprised me.

I think I have meet a couple of really good people and only have had to block one person that insisted I call him now or lose out.

Since, this is my first time every doing anything like this. I am very serious about talking via e-mail. You must do a week with me before you get my name and telephone number. I can not stress how important it is to be safe out there. I protect myself at all time and if a dude don't want to chit chat and pushing to talk. He is not the one for me. Only the true gentlemen have been fine with fully engaging me in serious conversation. THIS has not steered me wrong.

So I went on okcupid and was in the middle of creating my profile (after I uploaded a pic). Some guy sent me a message.

Ok....I may have to give this online dating a try.

I'm in the 18-29 range.

Match.com: Was a waste of time I had a 6 month subscription and I ended up with no dates afterwards.
Eharmony: Was worse then match. For Eharmony you can't choose who you like. You can only message the people they choose for you, and the number of people I actually liked from their pick was very small. I didn't get any dates from there either.
Okcupid: I'm surprised so many of you ladies are having such a good experience there. I've been on that website on and off for years. I think I have over 100 messages, but I only liked like 2 people there and they ended up being weirdos. My cousin had the same experience, tons of people will message you, but its never anyone you like.

I noticed you guys didn't mention any apps. Now that is where the action is.

CoffeeMeetsBagel: Waste of time. I rarely if ever match with anyone and when I do they never respond when I message them.
Soulswipe: An online dating app for black singles. They have some cute quality guys there. I was talking to a guy I really liked for a few months before it fizzled out.
Meld: Not worth it. Its another dating app for black people, but its specifically for black professionals. You need to have a LinkedIn Account to join. I've been using it for a over a month and I haven't received any matches yet.
Tinder: Used to be a hookup app, now its a legit dating app. People are looking for long terms relationships. I found the guy I'm currently talking to on there and my brother who's 33 found his current girlfriend there.
Clover: I got tons of matches and the guys are actually responsive. All the matches and guys became overwhelming and hard to keep track of though. I didn't get any dates out of it either.

I agree with what another poster said about it being a waiting game. Sometimes you have to log off for a couple months and come back on. There are new users everyday, you just have to be lucky enough to be on the dating website/app at that moment when your future guy is there.

I'm in the 18-29 range.

Match.com: Was a waste of time I had a 6 month subscription and I ended up with no dates afterwards.
Eharmony: Was worse then match. For Eharmony you can't choose who you like. You can only message the people they choose for you, and the number of people I actually liked from their pick was very small. I didn't get any dates from there either.
Okcupid: I'm surprised so many of you ladies are having such a good experience there. I've been on that website on and off for years. I think I have over 100 messages, but I only liked like 2 people there and they ended up being weirdos. My cousin had the same experience, tons of people will message you, but its never anyone you like.

CoffeeMeetsBagel: Waste of time. I rarely if ever match with anyone and when I do they never respond when I message them.
Soulswipe: An online dating app for black singles. They have some cute quality guys there. I was talking to a guy I really liked for a few months before it fizzled out.
Meld: Not worth it. Its another dating app for black people, but its specifically for black professionals. You need to have a LinkedIn Account to join. I've been using it for a over a month and I haven't received any matches yet.
Tinder: Used to be a hookup app, now its a legit dating app. People are looking for long terms relationships. I found the guy I'm currently talking to on there and my brother who's 33 found his current girlfriend there.
Clover: I got tons of matches and the guys are actually responsive. All the matches and guys became overwhelming and hard to keep track of though. I didn't get any dates out of it either.

I agree with what another poster said about it being a waiting game. Sometimes you have to log off for a couple months and come back on. There are new users everyday, you just have to be lucky enough to be on the dating website/app at that moment when your future guy is there.

I think city and age range is a factor for each app. I'm early 30's, in NYC, and its been Okc ftw.

18 - 29

I met FH on OkCupid. It was the only dating site I used. I think I was on it ~2 months when I met him.

This has been my exact experience on OKcupid. It must be a location issue since everyone else seems to have great luck with it.

I found the most quality dates (successful, attractive, no social hang ups) on POF and Match. Only problem is they all turned out to be players so no relationships came out of it but I did have a lot of fun dates.

Greatest - POF. I have met more men on POF. They weren't ratchet- for one reason or another, it didn't go to long term. I am currently with someone and I met him on there. It has been about 7 months now. Honorable mention to OKC. Met some guys on there... didn't go further but there were definitely some men on there that were options.

Worse- Blackpeoplemeet.com and eharmony. Since those are paying sites, you have to really line up to meet someone. If their membership runs out- well yall not getting connected.
Match.com has also been a hit or miss with me.

I am in my early 30s and my SO is in his mid 30s. That said, I am also happy that I am off those dating sites. I sometimes feel like the people on there are so picky that NO ONE satisfies them--- so they just remain on the site.

Last edited:
My experiences are from ages 28-30. I'm done with online dating now.

The only real relationship that I've had that came from online dating was from Match. Guy I've been seeing is also from this site, although I'm not sure we will work. Both times I was on this site, I met guys during the free trial period and then disabled my account. My friend met her husband on Match.

OKC - I got the most messages here, but that's not saying much. For me OKC had the craziest guys/messages, guys on the "waste her time" challenge.

POF is where I got the most dates.

ETA: I forgot about Tinder. I went on dates with a guy who turned out to me married and two eventual crazies.

40-49. Met my SO on POF. Yep it's ratchet but you just have to ignore it and not entertain it. I had a stalker. I had to block quite a few fools. I've been on them all. E-harmony, OKcupid, Match, Black People Meet, and one more I can't remember the name of. I went on dates with men from OKcupid, Black People Meet, and POF. You have to be patient. Took me about 10 months of & on POF to find my SO.

This is my situation exactly almost. Didn't take me quite as long to find my SO, but you will have to weed thru PLENTY of ratchetness. Just go into with an open mind and look at the ratchetness as entertainment.

I need more Tinder reviews. I joined because of this thread and I have been connected with 8 people but only one person has sent me a message so far. Am I supposed to send them message first?

I'm in the 18-29 range.

Do you ever think your picker is off?

Soulswipe. The men are fine and quality but its based purely off looks so a lot of matches but once talking/meeting, there is no connection.

POF. My brother who has a fiancé and newborn uses this to meet women. My ex used this while I was pregnant. Stay away ladies. All the matches are flattering but not if you want a husband.

Do you ever think your picker is off?

No, my picker isn't off. I'm actually really good at picking good quality men, but they are hard to find, and when you do find them you may or may not have chemistry with them that's just how it is. I'm not picky, but if you're unattractive, hood, don't got nothing going for yourself, or disrespectful I will not entertain you. I know my worth. I'm not expecting prince charming, but I need someone to meet me halfway.

Back