Votes: 61 52.6%
  • I love a blue collar man

Votes: 11 9.5%
  • I'm open to dating whomever

Votes: 44 37.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nasdaq_Diva

I rarely come to this area of the site, but it's rather interesting. Anyway, reading some of the topics in here got me to thinking. Which type of man do you usually go for?

I remember some years ago, I was trying to talk my mom into talking to my friends dad. My mom said, "he's very nice but I dont have much in common with men like him" I asked her what she meant by that, and she said, "you know men who have office jobs.

So, I'm wondering which one you prefer? Which one do you usually end up getting? I know some will argue that a good man is just that, a good man. I wholeheartedly agree but, when it all boils down to your past, and what you usually what type of career path your man is on, which collar does he fall under?

I have one who is both, but it really doesnt matter to me as long as its a steady job and he is taking care of his responsibilities.

White collar, hands down.

I've never even entertained a blue collar worker... not that there's anything wrong with them (hey, just have a job), but in my conversations with them, we usually have little in common. Our conversations are usually VERY strained.

Plus, I've found that many white collar men are pretty handy around the house and with the car when necessary, so it's all good for me.

In my adult life, most of the men I've dated have been on the white collar side. My most recent ex, is an engineer. I guess I'd consider him blue collar, only because he works in a factory.

But, he'll be going to law school in the fall, so I guess that would put him back on the white collar side of things....I dunno..I'm ramblin' lol.

Honestly, it's whatever. I'm not so much interested in his job but his passion for it. I hate when people get caught up in how many degrees they have or what Ivy League they went to.

I was engaged to a blue collar and he couldn't understand my hustle..I had a awesome night last night with a white collar and it was soo hot..I hope his relationship ends so he won't hurt his current so and i would be out there on the market..it something about a man who is in the business world deeply that makes me say wow
Huh?:sad::wallbash:

I was engaged to a blue collar and he couldn't understand my hustle..I had a awesome night last night with a white collar and it was soo hot..I hope his relationship ends so he won't hurt his current so and i would be out there on the market..it something about a man who is in the business world deeply that makes me say wow

Really?!:perplexed
Why not just leave him alone until he is on the market too?

What in de HAY-ALL??? So if he DOES hook up with you, you already see that he will go out with other women behind your back before your relationship is over... But hey... to each his own... maybe you like being treated that way. Just knowing he's with some body and going out with him anyway just seems so... :blush:

Honestly, it's whatever. I'm not so much interested in his job but his passion for it. I hate when people get caught up in how many degrees they have or what Ivy League they went to.

But, when you look back on your past relationships what type of man was it usually?

Secondly, I dont think it's really caught up in how many degrees someone has, it's about having the same interests and (like somone else mentioned) understanding their hustle.

I mean really, how many doctors do you see married to the janitor? I'm just saying?

I barely know any Ivy League guys.

Guess I'm just wondering how "white collar" often gets equated with Ivy League or how many degrees one has.

looking at past relationships...college students :look:

my current SO works manual labor jobs (in a newspaper plant/liquor warehouse) during the summer & breaks. but obviously he is in school during the rest of the year and i def like that balance. i assume when he graduates he will have a white collar job, or be continuing onto grad school.

I barely know any Ivy League guys.

Guess I'm just wondering how "white collar" often gets equated with Ivy League or how many degrees one has.

Same reason blue collar seems to get equated with being uneducated and ignorant. Not sure why.

My father for example: people seem to look down at him after finding out he's an electrician. What they don't know is, he is very intelligent, can wire up an entire city on his own (seriously), and makes WELLLLL into 6 figures.

Anyway...blue collar for me.:grin:

I've dated both but usually get approached more by white collar men. I don't mind as long our ambitions among other things match up. Like ol girl said, electricians are blue collar but they make that paper. So the color of the collar doesn't always dictate income.

I just don't want a man who's broke, cries about it all the time, and does nothing to change his circumstances (been there once and am so OVER that). Whatever collar he's rocking, he's got to be ambitious/a go-getter, have goals and want something out of his life.

College aint for everyone and those men that went to trade school still have jobs while the rest of us are unemployed. Lol

I hear that too blue collar = poor mans job.

That simply isn't the case. A blue collar man can also be an entreprenuer. I will say I prefer a man who has a businessmind-set. Being a business-owner.

You can upwardly mobile blue collar guys, and lazy arse white collar guys. I am open to dating either. I am looking for someone who is for the building and maintenance of their business, and if* I get married, our business. Period.

*I would like to, but I am not holding my breath due to fear of asphyxiation*

Last edited:
I've dated them both, however, I do find myself more comfortable and at ease amongst blue-collar men. They were much more affectionate and attentive to my needs. With white collar men it felt as if I was being scheduled into their schedule. They led very busy lives. I don't think that's what I want in a hubby.

Growing up not even having an inkling that there was anything outside my "white collar" graduate/professional bubble that could mesh with me and my personality, only to later be blown away by my high compatibility with a blue-collar man....

I can safely say that I no longer have any "preference." Either-or preferences sometimes go away when you realize there are multiple options out there that can work for you.

He must have a college education.

A little OT but needs to be said:
I understand that there are many blue collar men who make more than college-educated men but I honestly don't care. Education should become a priority for black people, especially the youth. Black people could be making 2x as much as we're making now tomorrow and nothing would change. We need more education. We need black youth to be in classrooms, doing research, studying abroad, networking, writing papers, etc. We've become too comfortable with seeing money as a priority over education. Money creates comfort but education creates opportunity. Education is crucial to building legacies.

Same reason blue collar seems to get equated with being uneducated and ignorant. Not sure why.

My father for example: people seem to look down at him after finding out he's an electrician. What they don't know is, he is very intelligent, can wire up an entire city on his own (seriously), and makes WELLLLL into 6 figures.

Anyway...blue collar for me.:grin:

I will say this... I don't think blue-collar men are ignorant. Like white collar, blue collar men have all types of jobs and skill sets.

While blue collar men aren't necessarily uneducated (again, depends on the job), they are typically less educated than white collar workers. Some people might care about that and some might not.

I can simply speak for my experience growing up in a city that was built on blue-collar, UNskilled factory labor (Detroit)... while the men I talk to from these backgrounds are not ignorant, they weren't exactly interested in developing themselves more intellectually either. Thus, the reason they went into blue-collar jobs versus attending college.

(And no, I'm NOT talking about older men who usually didn't have many options to pursue higher education -- I'm talking about men in my age range who did have that opportunity if they wanted it.)

Now, that's perfectly fine for them. We all have choices. And I'm really just speaking in general right now, not directly to you (Just wanted to respond though to your post).

But at least in my dealings with moderately skilled to unskilled factory workers in the Midwest, there was a reason that our conversations were strained. We had different experiences and different perspectives. There wasn't as much of a gap though when talking t a fellow college graduate.

The good thing though, is that all of us can agree that we can find the type of man we want and be happy about our choice! :)

Last edited:
I'm partial to intellectual men, who are a bit rough around the edges. A man who actually...gasps...reads books, but still maintains a bit of scruff. I can't think of an example, but I know it when I see it. A white collar man, blue collar man, doesn't really matter. Do he got a job?

But at least in my dealings with moderately skilled to unskilled factory workers in the Midwest, there was a reason that our conversations were strained. We had different experiences and different perspectives. There wasn't as much of a gap though when talking t a fellow college graduate.

The good thing though, is that all of us can agree that we can find the type of man we want and be happy about our choice! :)
I'm just south of you (Ohio) and I know exactly what you're talking about.

With a blue collar man, I can't hold very mentally stimulating conversations with them. It's pretty basic and light with them.

What in de HAY-ALL??? So if he DOES hook up with you, you already see that he will go out with other women behind your back before your relationship is over... But hey... to each his own... maybe you like being treated that way. Just knowing he's with some body and going out with him anyway just seems so... :blush:

You know what your right..after writing this last night I thought about some things he said that didn't settle with my heart so I wouldn't give him the time of day bc of a few other words..I guess sometimes I see people who get together with someone blue or white that isn't the best way but it works somehow..thanks for you pov..

Definitely white collar or artists. I can appreciate a blue collar man, but I'm not attracted to them. I like men who are intellectuals or deep thinkers who can stimulate my mind. Not that blue collar guys aren't smart, I just don't think they're very interesting. Not to generalize...I'm speaking about those that I know.

Back