what's the longest time you've wore a weave?

how long have you kept a weave in for?

• 3weeks or less

Votes: 48 12.4%
  • 3-7weeks

Votes: 97 25.0%
  • 7-11weeks

Votes: 90 23.2%
  • 11-15weeks

Votes: 107 27.6%
  • 15weeks and above

Votes: 46 11.9%

• Total voters

Blaque*Angel

Hi ladies,

Those who wear weaves as protective styles, what is the longest time you've wore a weave before re-weaving?

Also please list your weave care regime...

Thank you

The longest I wore my weave was for six weeks. I would wait about two weeks before putting another weave in. I have not done this yet, but I will be doing this in the summer. Well I was wearing a curly weave and I would do co-washes every three days. I would oil my scalp with mtg (for those who use it) once a week. Any more than that was too much for me. And I used the surge daily. I did clarify once a week though because of the build up from the conditioner/water mix that I would use in the mornings to make my curls pop. Also when I tied up my hair at nite I would put the weave in two ponytails with a ponytail holder on the ends and of course I used a satin scarf at nite. That's pretty much all I did.

the longest for me was the last one i had , and i kept that sucka in for over 3 mos , i think it was about 15 weeks..i washed my hair bi-weekly, and sprayed it with BBS, maybe 2x a week..that was it..very simple..my hair grew like the dickens..but i would not do that again...i had mega knots..

Hi, ladies, the longest time I've wore a weave was 7 weeks!
This is my regimen :
  • Moisturize once a day with my homemade lotion.
  • Oil my hair under the weave with my homemade pomade or others oils (olive, monoï, carrot) once a week after washing
  • Once by week : Cowash with diluted conditionner in a bottle.
  • Shampoo and deep conditionning every 6 weeks after removing weaves or other style.
  • Get the style redone immediately after airdrying.
:)

Last edited:
Just prior to joining LHCF
I wore a sew -in for 3 months (I left just a little of my hair out for the part so it could look like my hair)

I wrapped it daily @ night
I washed once a week
Flat-ironed once a week
I lightly oiled so it had body

But when I took it out I shedded so much hair it was disgusting.I had a ball of shedded hair.I had never saw my hair come out so bad .:mad:
So for me never again will I get a sew in of any kind or any style that's not my hair for longer than 2wks

Last edited:
I usually weave mine for 2-3 months. This might sound "nasty" but i'd wash every 2-3 weeks, or when ever i felt like it. Oil it 2-3 times a week with vitasheen growth aid. When i get about 2 inches of hair i will be weaving againg, but instead i'll een using mtg on my scalp and taking vitamins

I've gone a lil over 4 months twice. My secret: wet n wavy hair. I washed it everyday the first time. Washed it every other day and oiled my scalp the second time. I think i could have gone longer the second time. I only took it out for an event. But it was looking fresh as ever even in the fourth month. I even had ppl stopping me in the street, no lie. I had a little piece of hair left out which i kept moist and did braid outs to make it match the wet n wavy hair. I also relaxed that piece in the third month. I never had any knots or tangles and I got lots of growth. Oh yea I used that cheap bss hair too. :lol: My advice to any weave wearer be it straight or curly is you need to treat the weave with just as much care as u treat ur real hair.

Last edited:
I wear mine about 8-10 weeks. I wash at least every two weeks. I spray my scalp with braid spray everyday/infusium a few times a week/oil my scalp a few times a week.

The longest I've worn a weave was about 4 months. It was a straight weave. I washed every two weeks. I would use the tress emme (sp?) shampoo and parnevu clear conditioner to keep from getting build up and matting when I take it down. I would oil my scalp every 3-4 days and wearing it mostly in a ponytail and that was really it. When I used to wear weaves I would leave them in for about 2-3 months and then rest from a weave for a month and weave again. I was basically doing the crown and glory method but with a weave.

I got a lot growth from doing this, but I was tired and tried a new improve weave method the Great Length extensions and well was nothing great about losing your hair afterwards.

I've gone as long as 4 mos. and as little as 6 weeks. I wash it every 2-3 weeks, try to wrap it at night and not use too many products on it. The cheap hair just doesn't work for me, I learned from my last weave. It shedded so bad, it wasn't even funny.

11 weeks, and what a major mistake. I got major growth but had to end up cutting 12 inches of hair because my hair dreaded under the weave.

One whole day! My cousin braided my hair and my mother wanted to experiment so we bought this really curly hair (not sure if it was human or synthetic) and she sewed it in. That thing ate my scalp alive!!!! Out it went that night...:ohwell:

Ok I am going to be honest here. My first weave. :(

My hair struggles started after I left it in for 6 months a few years ago.

It still looked good, but I had no idea that my hair was matting underneath.

I had to cut the matted part off. It was bad and I am still trying to deal with uneven hair.

I got 2 or 3 weaves after that and only left them in 6 weeks or so.

The longest that I have worn a weave was for 1 week! :lachen: I couldn't stand wearing fake hair in my head. Plus, I got tired of wearing it.

I cant keep a weave in for longer than a month, once my roots start to grow the weave doesnt look natural to me anymore.

I have a close friend of mine who has course 4b hair. She wore a weave for 3 months and her hair matted horribly! It was soo sad:(... We spent close to 4 hours trying to detangle and most had to be cut due to the dreading of her hair. I felt soo bad for her..You know how we black women are about our hair. So NEVER EVER will I wear a weave for longer than one month. Ladies please be careful with extended periods of weave wear.

Slightly O/T: my ex hairdresser kept her weave in for six months!! WTH! What was she thinking??? I haven't seen her since but I told her that her hair will start to dread up and she looked at me funny and said "Girl now you got me all scared" What do they teach hairdressers at cosmetology school?:ohwell:

Last edited:
I have never had a weave.

I am not sure if braids count here BUT I have worn braids (weave added) for about a week before. But that is it.

6 months and I regretted it BIG TIME!!! By time I took the weave out my hair had started dreading underneath it :eek: :mad: Never did that ish again :nono:

FlyyGyrl said:
I've gone a lil over 4 months twice. My secret: wet n wavy hair. I washed it everyday the first time. Washed it every other day and oiled my scalp the second time. I think i could have gone longer the second time. I only took it out for an event. But it was looking fresh as ever even in the fourth month. I even had ppl stopping me in the street, no lie. I had a little piece of hair left out which i kept moist and did braid outs to make it match the wet n wavy hair. I also relaxed that piece in the third month. I never had any knots or tangles and I got lots of growth. Oh yea I used that cheap bss hair too. :lol: My advice to any weave wearer be it straight or curly is you need to treat the weave with just as much care as u treat ur real hair.

Cheap as in $10? I'm getting a sewn-in weave tomorrow and i was seriously contemplating buying some cheap hair.

BrwnSugaBabee said:
I cant keep a weave in for longer than a month, once my roots start to grow the weave doesnt look natural to me anymore.

I have a close friend of mine who has course 4b hair. She wore a weave for 3 months and her hair matted horribly! It was soo sad:(... We spent close to 4 hours trying to detangle and most had to be cut due to the dreading of her hair. I felt soo bad for her..You know how we black women are about our hair. So NEVER EVER will I wear a weave for longer than one month. Ladies please be careful with extended periods of weave wear.

Slightly O/T: my ex hairdresser kept her weave in for six months!! WTH! What was she thinking??? I haven't seen her since but I told her that her hair will start to dread up and she looked at me funny and said "Girl know you got me all scared" What do they teach hairdressers at cosmetology school?:ohwell:

Ha ha! Why is this so funny to me?

dreading and matting?!!! WOW i would be majorly depressed if that happened. I got my first and only weave last summer during the last month of june and took it out at the end of august/beginning of september, so it was in for about 8 or 9 weeks.

Shaniquah :lol: You are TOO funny!

I've worn weaves for years, from the age of 17 all the way till now.
I did fusion from 17 to 19 (my stylist moved to NYC) and then I did regular sewn ins. For the most part I would keep mine in for 6 weeks.

Then I moved away to college and there were no black stylists in the city where I lived, :lol: minnesota, so go figure! So I would to NY by my hairdresser in the summer and winter and wear it pretty much all semester, or until she sent me more weave and I sewed it in myself.

It worked well then for style, but I dont think it helped my hair growth at all. Now that I am stretching without extensions, my hair seems to be in much better health.

I still get a weave every so often, but I take it out between 4 - 6 weeks.

I cant make it to a full two months because I get anxious to shampoo and condition my hair. I get ta looking at my products and I just go for the scissors and snip tha weave outta there.

I just got a sewn-in weave today and I LOVE it! The stylist did a great job and I plan on leaving this one in for 10-12 weeks. Wish me luck!

This is a good thread! I have a sew in in now. I got in done in mid-agust and I was planning to take it out in mid-october, but now I might take it out in mid-september. I remember one time I had braids in, but I didnt realize that my hair was dreading underneath. I lost SO MUCH HAIR!!! I can let that happen again! I guess I'll take this out soon to avoid the risk of losing my hair.

Back