what's the longest time you've wore a weave?

how long have you kept a weave in for?

• 3weeks or less

Votes: 48 12.4%
  • 3-7weeks

Votes: 97 25.0%
  • 7-11weeks

Votes: 90 23.2%
  • 11-15weeks

Votes: 107 27.6%
  • 15weeks and above

Votes: 46 11.9%

• Total voters
Just got a weave this week. I plan to leave it in 8-10 weeks if things go well. I hope so... I read all of the stories. Some are scary.

Ok I am going to be honest here. My first weave. :(

My hair struggles started after I left it in for 6 months a few years ago.

It still looked good, but I had no idea that my hair was matting underneath.

I had to cut the matted part off. It was bad and I am still trying to deal with uneven hair.

I got 2 or 3 weaves after that and only left them in 6 weeks or so.

So sorry to hear about your experience when you kept it in for 6 months. Were you natural at the time? What regimen did you use?

I know it sounds bad, but I'm planning on wearing my current install for 6 months. I kept it in for 5 months before, and never had any issues with matting, or knotting, etc. I only lose the same amount of shed hair that I would have lost if I wasn't protective styling. After all, if your hair is suppose to shed between 100-150 hairs a day, and you keep a sewin for 3 months, you can expect to still lose the shed hair when you take out your install.

I'm not recommending this to anyone else, but I usually keep them in 3-5 months. For this install, I'm keeping it in for 6 months.

When I didn't know any better, I hardly ever washed. When I keep it in for three mos, I washed and dc every week. I also moisturized every day by spraying a mix of glycerin and water on my hair underneath and the hair left out. I would also apply castor oil to the ends of the hair that was left out. If I keep it in longer than 3 months, I have to wash less to prevent matting.

I know alot of people say that you can't properly wash and moisturize with a sew-in, but I disagree. I always wash by myself. One really cool tip is that I add my shampoo, conditioner, dc, leave in cond in separate empty water bottles dilluted with water that you can pour over your head. Or, you could add them to a bottle with a nozzle. That way it makes it easier to apply and you're sure to get it evenly distributed throughout your head.

This is my regimen with my current sew-in:
Wash every 2 weeks with Creme of Nature (since I have 2 months to go, I'll start washing every 3-4 weeks)
Condition w/ Mane N Tail
DC every 2 weeks w/ORS replenishing pak or Pantene Pro V relaxed and natural
Leave in conditioner - Infusium 23
Spray the hair that's left out, and my braids with a glycerin/water mix and seal my ends with castor oil
Clarify 1x month w/Suave clarifying shampoo
I've also started to incorporate using Mega tek and applying it to my scalp every day

Last edited:
I've only worn 1 weave in my entire life (weaves are so not my thing) and I left it in for 1 week. That was as long as I could stand it.:perplexed

well I tried something new recently and keep one in for 3 months over this past winter...bad idea....my hair matted terribly :nono:.....It took me 5 hours and a good dominican rinse to comb my hair out...I am lucky I didn't loose my hair....never again.. from now on 6 weeks max....

So sorry to hear about your experience when you kept it in for 6 months. Were you natural at the time? What regimen did you use?

I know it sounds bad, but I'm planning on wearing my current install for 6 months. I kept it in for 5 months before, and never had any issues with matting, or knotting, etc. I only lose the same amount of shed hair that I would have lost if I wasn't protective styling. After all, if your hair is suppose to shed between 100-150 hairs a day, and you keep a sewin for 3 months, you can expect to still lose the shed hair when you take out your install.

I'm not recommending this to anyone else, but I usually keep them in 3-5 months. For this install, I'm keeping it in for 6 months.

When I didn't know any better, I hardly ever washed. When I keep it in for three mos, I washed and dc every week. I also moisturized every day by spraying a mix of glycerin and water on my hair underneath and the hair left out. I would also apply castor oil to the ends of the hair that was left out. If I keep it in longer than 3 months, I have to wash less to prevent matting.

I know alot of people say that you can't properly wash and moisturize with a sew-in, but I disagree. I always wash by myself. One really cool tip is that I add my shampoo, conditioner, dc, leave in cond in separate empty water bottles dilluted with water that you can pour over your head. Or, you could add them to a bottle with a nozzle. That way it makes it easier to apply and you're sure to get it evenly distributed throughout your head.

Wash every 2 weeks with Creme of Nature (since I have 2 months to go, I'll start washing every 3-4 weeks)
Condition w/ Mane N Tail
Spray the hair that's left out, and my braids with a glycerin/water mix and seal my ends with castor oil
I've also started to incorporate using Mega tek and applying it to my scalp every day

Thanks for the detailed post. I have also been experimenting with leaving in my weaves for long periods of time. Washing less is definitely the way to go to decrease the possibility of matting. Also when I do wash I use a bit of antibacterial liquid soap to ensure a clean scalp. Im currently planning on wearing this weave for 4 months. I am at the end of month 2 now and have cut it twice so I wont get bored with the style. I will cut it again at the end of month 3.

I have fine 4a hair and I have almost never had chemical breakage but I have to be careful to ensure that I dont get mechanical breakage. So I relax immediately after weave removal.

Condition w/ Mane N Tail

ITA>>>I have hardly lost hair due to sew ins. And I just learned how to moisturize. It IS possible to possible to do moisturize in a sew in, I don't care what anyone says!:grin: Also I would run Infusium 23 down my scalp. Everyday, when I cared for it, it would feel soft and moisturized.
Your regimen sounds really good!

The lady said i could wear it for 3 months which is what i did. My hair was dry and matted underneath as i didn't do anything to it. However this was at a time when i had no knowledge about how to look after my hair under a weave or my hair fullstop. I was a "bad hair girl" under my weave!

Soz forgot to put my weave regimen now!
Well i'm pretty much following what Neala has said to do in the hair weave challenge 08!

Last edited:
I forgot about this thread.
I don't wear weaves any more. I lost 10 inches of hair due to weave and haven't been able to get it back since.

I don't even wear braids. I've worn weaves again, because I love how they look, but I wear wigs now.

The longest time I have ever worn a weave is 3 weeks.
I normally redo my weave every 2 weeks.

Although, honestly I have not worn my real hair out in a permanent style in 10 years:ohwell:this is due to many many major set backs. They range from stylist cutting too much of my hair after growing it out with braids (back into the weave), Dr. miracle / loreal condtioner taking my hair out (back into the weave), and plently of other stupid things that have messed up my hair growth progress. :wallbash:

However now that I have found LHCF I am optimistic that I can be weave free by next summer when I reach my hair goal of BSL:grin:

This was a long time ago. In high school these two girls picked on me and called me bald (but it seemed as if their hair NEVER grew), so I set out to prove them wrong. From the beginning to the end of my senior year, I wore weave. Every four weeks I'd switch it up. I went from neck length to bra strap length in 8 months. I wore my real hair on graduation day.

This was a long time ago. In high school these two girls picked on me and called me bald (but it seemed as if their hair NEVER grew), so I set out to prove them wrong. From the beginning to the end of my senior year, I wore weave. Every four weeks I'd switch it up. I went from neck length to bra strap length in 8 months. I wore my real hair on graduation day.

Very inspiring...and I love the quote you have on your profile :rolleyes:

I wore one overnight. I thought it would be cute if I got a curly weave. My head was tight and it felt bumpy from the braids. I cut my "investment" as well as some of my own hair right out. :lachen:

2 1/2 months. make sure you oil your briads underneath or they will be matted. and dont do a dye/process/relaxer right before putting in your weave. wait at least 3-4 weeks.

I am in a partial install, right now.
I deep condition. Light oil, and dry my hair. Cornrow, sew in the hair leaving only edges.
Spray hair with Infusion & Braid spray 2-3 times daily. Wash Bi weekly, and lasts for at least a month. I will try to keep this one in two months...but this usually never works for me. But, I use weaves regularly to retain ends. I don't care for buns, b/c I like to wear my hair out. So, weaves are a good alternative for my protective styles. I never have problems with hair lose or damage....only good results.

I mean i feel bad now. When i first transitioned, i ain't do NOTHING to the hair underneath my weave and it was perfectly fine. Yall make me feel like i been slippin! especially Ediese. The most i do now is oil my scalp. That's it. Once weaves get in my hair, i get lazy... really lazy....

I guess to each his own because when i was wearing them back to back to back and not doing anything to the hair underneath, my hair was perfectly fine. But like i said, to each his own

you're not the only one :nono: I would do the same thing with braids. I would never take care of my hair under my weave. I would also relax from root to tip :burning:

:lachen::lachen:( sorry for laughing) Girl!! How did you deal with the burning?? Bless your heart. One of my friends would take her weave out relax right after and then COMB the relaxer through her hair after application...scalp and all!! And Im talking about pulling, tugging and everything lol.

The longest I have kept mine in is for 2 months, because I can't keep my hands out my head and want to see whats going on under there. Now its only once a month. My edges are breaking off the relaxed hair ( I'm transitioning) other than that I dont have a problem with hairloss. I only wash my hair once a month and use cocnut or sunflower oil every other day.

:lachen::lachen:( sorry for laughing) Girl!! How did you deal with the burning?? Bless your heart. One of my friends would take her weave out relax right after and then COMB the relaxer through her hair after application...scalp and all!! And Im talking about pulling, tugging and everything lol.

The longest I have kept mine in is for 2 months, because I can't keep my hands out my head and want to see whats going on under there. Now its only once a month. My edges are breaking off the relaxed hair ( I'm transitioning) other than that I dont have a problem with hairloss. I only wash my hair once a month and use cocnut or sunflower oil every other day.

I would spray some Isoplus or Pink Lotion oil sheen where I felt it burn :nono: I didn't know any better :lachen:. I was a puller and tugger as well

Last edited:
I currently have a weave that I have been wearing for a full seven weeks - I'm going to take it out in the next 2/3 weeks. I'm not washing it all. Only a bit of spray when my scalp itches. Washing mattes up your real hair. Besides you never get your real hair dry enough and that will make your hair stink. My advice - STOP washing your weaves. It's gross.

Back