what's the longest time you've wore a weave?

how long have you kept a weave in for?

• 3weeks or less

Votes: 48 12.4%
  • 3-7weeks

Votes: 97 25.0%
  • 7-11weeks

Votes: 90 23.2%
  • 11-15weeks

Votes: 107 27.6%
  • 15weeks and above

Votes: 46 11.9%

• Total voters
Well in middle school i had braids and left them in for like 3 months..
When i get a sew in, i do it myself, and i keep it in 2 weeks then wash and redo it..
Now i have micros and i`ll be taking them out next week which will complete 2 months - 8 weeks..

Actually one time I got a full head sew in weave where none of my hair was out and the stylist braided my hair with the kanekalon hair underneath the weave and I left it in for like 14 weeks 3.5 months. I didn't wash it or spray anything in it or anything and my hair didn't dread or matt, i didnt get any bald spots or anything. It actually grew like wildfire. When I took it out I had a little over 3.5 in of new growth and I was natural and I didn't have to cut anything. It was actually a mistake that it was in that long. I went broke some time in between and didn't want to take it out without having the money to get it restyled! I was actually thinking of getting about 2 or 3 weaves (back to back) to last me until next summer. I like it better than the braids because the braids put too much stress on my temples and my hairline in the back.:sad:

Im currently in my first weave and i dont think im going to keep it in for longer for 6 weeks. Mainly becuase im anxious about whether my hair is doing fine underneath or if the weave is damaging it.
Secondly im not too comfortable with the way it was done.

I think if i my natural hair comes out fine after this weave, then i would like to wear a weave again for atleast 2months or longer. I normally wear braid extentions for 2 months anyway.

This is my first weave, but since I plan on using BT while I have it in, and the braids under the weave are too tight for my tastes, I'll prolly only keep it in for 2-3 weeks. Depends on when my BT arrives. I also think that next time - yes, there will be a next time; at least I think so - I will get a wet and wavy one or something else that's not as curly as the one I currently have. I don't really wanna get a straight one because I don't wanna have to style my hair. And I'll be getting a wig before I get another weave so that I can baby my hair before the weave and after the weave.

The only down side for me right now is I had been hennaing my hair once a week for the past few weeks. Now I will have to go to doing it once every two or three weeks. Eventually, I will prolly go to doing henna every 6 weeks, getting hardcore protein every 8 weeks and relaxer touch ups every 10 weeks. Ooooohhh, I juss came up with a regimen I like! I haven't really had a regimen for the past three years I've been on the board besides stretching my relaxers. Cool. Off to go write this down and figure out some other stuff.

The longest I’ve ever worn a weave for is 8 weeks, and not a day more! After 5 weeks it starts to look too messy as my hair grows out of it fast ( due to vitamins, conditioning braids underneath every other day and constant sulphur oiling).

I personally wouldn’t recommend longer than 8 weeks in order to keep the hair at its strongest.

Whilst I’m wearing a weave my regimen is :

Oil scalp with sulphur mix (similar to BT and MTG) every day
Spray braids underneath weave with braid spray /S Curl / my own moisturizing mix every other day
Wash hair once every two-three weeks.

When I take out the weave I IMMEDIATELY saturate my hair with cholesterol, leave for an hour and wash, then deep condition with protein.
Nurturing the hair and scalp underneath with moisture is a MUST when wearing a weave.

Usually I keep my weaves for 4-5 weeks.Cant keep it longer because I miss my hair. I am currently wearing a weave and I plan to keep it for 8 weeks, lets see if I can do it.

the one and only sew-in i had i kept in for 4 months...:nono: yes, you read that correctly...FOUR MONTHS!

and it was braided WAY too tight, and i have the breakage to prove it...unfortunately, i take the blame for that...i wore braids for years, and never had i any braids as tight as the cornrows underneath that weave...i had to take 2 aspirin every night for TWO WEEKS in order to go to sleep, it was that damn tight :wallbash: then i should've gone to a stylist to take it out, but instead me and my friend did it, and i pulled gobs and gobs of my own hair out (yes, i detangled my hair BONE DRY :nono::nono::nono:)

alas, you all know how i found lhcf after i saw the results...:look:

The longest for me was about 8 weeks, and I had so much new growth!!! When it comes to breakage, it depends on how the stylist braids your hair. Last year, I wore a weave for about the same amount of time (8 wks), but she braided my hair underneath from ear to ear, leaving quite a bit of hair out between each cornrow. When I took out that mess, my own hair that was left out between the tracks was soooooooooooo damaged :nono:!!!!

This year, I went to someone else, and she braided my hair vertically, and by doing that, it didn't put too much pressure on my own hair, and the weave layed down flat (no bulk). My new growth was crazy, and my own hair had an odor because there were times I would call myself air drying, and it prolly left my own hair sour :ohwell:. Next month, I'mma put the weave back in....indian remy hair and will leave a lil piece of my hair for the part. I'll wash the piece of hair and hairline weekly, planning to leave it in for another 8 weeks. I'll treat my own hair to hot oil and protein and moisturizing conditioners and put another weave in. I know I want to get it redone before I give birth!

I have left a weave in for 3 months, twice. I got a lot of growth both times. This was before LHCF, so I wasn't doing protein treatments. And I would take the weave out, wait a couple of days and relax. So, my hair was weak.

Pre-LHCF I wore mine for 3 months/12 weeks. I took care of my hair but I'd never go that long again.

Since joining LHCF the longest I will leave a sew-in is 4 weeks.

I can never stand it for more than 3-4 weeks! If its in there any longer I end up going nuts! UGH! I HATE the feeling that something is on my head that shouldn't be there!

Every time I reach my hands up into my hair to feel it and i get a handful of weave I get so irritated and *shudders* I just want my hair back...

The record time that Ive had a weave in has been 4 weeks...

When I had a sewn in (I have only had one) I had it taken down every 6 weeks. I couldn't go longer than that because my hair was growing so fast. I'd have tons of NG and that would cause my cornrows to loosen. I just had to have my own hair washed and deep conditioned. I couldn't go past the 6 week mark. I purchased very good, quality hair and I kept the weave in for a year to give my hair a break and allow it to grow.

The longest I've ever worn a weave (sew-in) was five months. I lost so much hair and had dreads for daaaayyyys.:nono: That was one of the biggest hair mistakes I've ever made...Fortunately that was almost 5 years ago. Every weave I wore after that stayed in for a max of 3 months. I don't wear weaves anymore though.

I've had mine for a little over 2 weeks and I'm dying to wash my hair but the weave stylist scared me...she told me it would never dry and I could get mildew!!

How can I wash and make sure it dries properly? I have a full head sew in

I've gone a lil over 4 months twice. My secret: wet n wavy hair. I washed it everyday the first time. Washed it every other day and oiled my scalp the second time. I think i could have gone longer the second time. I only took it out for an event. But it was looking fresh as ever even in the fourth month. I even had ppl stopping me in the street, no lie. I had a little piece of hair left out which i kept moist and did braid outs to make it match the wet n wavy hair. I also relaxed that piece in the third month. I never had any knots or tangles and I got lots of growth. Oh yea I used that cheap bss hair too. :lol: My advice to any weave wearer be it straight or curly is you need to treat the weave with just as much care as u treat ur real hair.

Hey I did the same thing, with my wet and wavy hair. No body could tell me nothing!

I left hair out at the front and would do braid outs to match the wet and wavy, it was so low maintenance, that I left it in for 4 months.

I only have problems leaving in straight weaves for that long....

I wear my weave for up to two weeks. I buy the hair that's on sale for $9.99 and put in my hair myself. It always look like it's my own hair when I'm done. I always apply an olive cream, leave in conditioner, and now M-T-G to it in between the tracks. So whenever I take out the weave I rarely have any breakage. I get alot of growth from this.

The most I would probably go with a weave would be 4 weeks, but that's if I get lazy and I don't feel like doing it.

I would suggest not to leave it in your hair for more than 5-6 weeks.

Last edited:
weave- maximum 6 weeks and for me that was too long!! I had no problems and good growth but I didn't wash and just MTG-ed. Braids about the same 6-7 weeks also got great growth from this.

My hair's in a full curly weave now I re-do it every 3-4 weeks I co-wash every other day and oil my scalp with MN/MTG and vatika oil everyday. it's been working for me and I'll keep it up till Dec...

For me the longest was four weeks and I washed it after two weeks. I usually re-weave after two weeks, and just washing it when I take it out.

I had mine in about 12 weeks. I washed it every week or twice a week if the hair looked oily. I also used NTM on my briads under it and a little oil.

Over the summer I wore some brazilian/dominican knots for exactly 3 months. I washed and conditioned ever week. I DC'd a few times. I also sprayed a leave-in or oil on the hair and scalp every few days.

My hair grew alot with this and it was healthy.

4 months last summer...never again!! I love my weave...but never again!Money was tight so I could not get it done at the time I wanted it done. But now that I have gotten use to my natural hair I have no problem taking it out after that 4-6 week mark.

THE Longest i ve worn mine in the past was 3months and now that i m back to crown and glory throughout the winter i m thinking of doing 2 months, oil treatments then back the next day till end of spring i guess hehe but i m scared of matting but i notice if i put wild growth hair oil on the roots in the braids when i remove no matting at all it just glides hehe:yep:

The longest I wore a weave is 9 weeks.

Regimen:

Pre-poo any of my hair that is not covered by the weave.

Wash - once or twice a week (Used diluted shampoo and color applicator bottle to apply to scalp/braid) Rinse forever

Condition - after washing I I just applied condtioner to weave hair any hair of mine thats out, I don't put coditioner on my scalp/braid under the weave, *condition wash my bangs often if I get a partial weave

Leave In - Spray braid under weave with diluted Infusium 23 mixed with jojoba oil and spray diluted braid spray. Every other night spray braid by lifting up weave. I try to avoid the weave hair when applying leave-ins.

Later I apply a little oil and cream leave in to weave hair.

Let dry and style

If my hair loosens after all the manipulation over the months. I take out a thread and needle and fix any loose area myself.:grin:

In a nutshell that is my regimen. Works great for me!

Only advice never get a weave to thight. That was only one time I had ever lose allot a hair b/c I got a real thight weave.:wallbash:

Last edited:
I think with my type of weave i have and the fact i can still wash my hair as is... I may leave it in for about 2mos:look:...

Back