what's the longest time you've wore a weave?

how long have you kept a weave in for?

• 3weeks or less

Votes: 48 12.4%
  • 3-7weeks

Votes: 97 25.0%
  • 7-11weeks

Votes: 90 23.2%
  • 11-15weeks

Votes: 107 27.6%
  • 15weeks and above

Votes: 46 11.9%

• Total voters
19sweetie said:
Cheap as in $10? I'm getting a sewn-in weave tomorrow and i was seriously contemplating buying some cheap hair.

I know for a fact they have hair for about 7 dollars for a 12 inch or lower if you get it on sale, one time i see it for 2 dallors + tax :eek:

3 months is the longest I've worn a weave (micro braids) I had major growth, but I wouldn't go that long again. Two months will be my new max.

About 8 weeks - once its starting growing it looks kinda strange to me. but i have to say that I was surprised to read those that kept theirs in for over 3 months as here in the UK they tend to say no longer than 3 months because of the locing up of hair. but I guess it also depends on how many time you are washing etc.

I think I went 10 weeks and was more than ready to take it down at around week 5. I got a about 2 inches of growth, but my hair was so thin afterwards, I though I had went bald.

i have never gotten a weave, i had no clue you could wear one for 6 months. i remember my mother got one a while back and i helped her take it out. :eek: she lost SOOOO much hair, i guess she may not have taken care of it but thats the last and only time she got a weave.

it seems like there is a trick to not pulling out your hair with the weave.

cicilypayne said:
11-13 weeks Tore up my natural hair loss about 6 inches:mad:
Why do you think it damaged your hair so much?

I am transitioning to natural hair with a weave, I wanted to keep the hair in 3months each time and am hoping this won't damage my hair or mess up my curl pattern

The longest time for me was 7 weeks. I never had any problems with.
I washed 1 or 2 times a week, moisturize every night, and oil my hair 3 times a week.

Wow, I've never had a weave before . I signed up for the hide your hair til april challenge and I had planned on doing a weave but this thread has me really scared. I've worked too hard on my natural hair to have it all fall out for some weave. I gotta re-think this. :eek: :perplexed

Well I might be the worst on here. I kept mines in for four months but I never washed it. Never washed it not one time. My hair grew so much I didn't know what to do with it. It did not dread it did not matt up. But it smelled horrible. OH well I thought that was what you were suppose to do. Next time i got a weave I washed it and my hair dreaded up and matted something horrible. No more weaves. I also did that with braids keep them in four months or more and never wash them. Yeah I hated being in the wind. I will never ever do that again. Never. now 6 weeks are less for braids, but I am not feeling the braids or any thing like that right now.

I find when I don't wash mine too often, I don't lose as much hair. Weird, I know. Plus the weave doesn't tangle and matte

kweenameena said:
I find when I don't wash mine too often, I don't lose as much hair. Weird, I know. Plus the weave doesn't tangle and matte

I think this is how I got more matting. I did leave mine in too long, but it did not matt all over just in certain spots. I think I was wetting it too much and going to sleep with it still a little wet underneath.

Trudy said:
Well I might be the worst on here. I kept mines in for four months but I never washed it. Never washed it not one time. My hair grew so much I didn't know what to do with it. It did not dread it did not matt up. But it smelled horrible. OH well I thought that was what you were suppose to do. Next time i got a weave I washed it and my hair dreaded up and matted something horrible. No more weaves. I also did that with braids keep them in four months or more and never wash them. Yeah I hated being in the wind. I will never ever do that again. Never. now 6 weeks are less for braids, but I am not feeling the braids or any thing like that right now.

Does this seem to be the consenus?

I never really wash my hair underneath my weave, and have never experienced matting or anything, but the longest I probably kept one in for was probably about 6 weeks. I was considering getting a weave and co- washing, not don't think I will be doing this at all now, because thinking about it, when I wash and dry in braids (my hair 9 months post a relaxer) it matts and tangles like crazy so I can only guess what will happen if I do this with a weave for 4-6 weeks :eek:

2x before LHCF and my current weave regimen I wore 2 weaves for 8 weeks each...bad idea for my hair.

Now I redo my weaves every 4 weeks, then redo it. I think this is best for maximum retention for me anyway!

RabiaElaine said:
2x before LHCF and my current weave regimen I wore 2 weaves for 8 weeks each...bad idea for my hair.

Now I redo my weaves every 4 weeks, then redo it. I think this is best for maximum retention for me anyway!

I need to learn how to do my own!! :(

I have worn them for 5 months almost with the same braids, i just change the hair..... I usually dont wash my hair, it is too much hassle and my hair grows in fine

About 10 weeks. I usually get tired of it around week 4 and take it out around week 5 but that's because I do it myself. When I was getting my weave done at the salon I'd try to go 6-8 weeks so I could get my money's worth.

not longer than 3 weeks....especially with that cheap beauty supply hair....by the end of the second week I am ready to take it out...now I have been wearing one for the past two weeks with synthetic hair.... that surprisingly is doing better than human hair... I see myself taking it out at 4 weeks.

darknlovely913 said:
not longer than 3 weeks....especially with that cheap beauty supply hair....by the end of the second week I am ready to take it out...now I have been wearing one for the past two weeks with synthetic hair.... that surprisingly is doing better than human hair... I see myself taking it out at 4 weeks.

A lot of times that is the case. I usually buy synthetic for that reason. All of my wigs and half wigs are synthetic.

bmoreflyygirl said:
A lot of times that is the case. I usually buy synthetic for that reason. All of my wigs and half wigs are synthetic.

I didn't even know that until this time I decided to try synthetic for a change....I will be sticking to this from now on... and at $8.99 a pack, I have no complaints!

darknlovely913 said:
I didn't even know that until this time I decided to try synthetic for a change....I will be sticking to this from now on... and at $8.99 a pack, I have no complaints!

I know right!! :lol: You can't go wrong with that. I just get me some mousse to spruce it back up when it gets a little fuzzy and call it day.

I keep my sew-in's in for about 3months. It feels like a birds nest in there! Plus im afraid of my hair matting (sp?) underneath.

The longest was 3 months. I had vertical braids. I had no matting or breaking when I took my hair out. Just A LOT of shed hair.

Back