What Would You Do If You Met An Amazing Man Who Loves You And Treats U Like A Princess But Is Broke

OP where you at?
We need to define what being treated like a queen means, although some reasonable assumptions have been made since he's broke. This can lead into debating what's queen like treatment and what's basic though.

My question is, is it possible to find a man who's not materialistic (cooks and cleans and helps around the house) and earthy crunchy but also treats you like a queen...money, lavish gifts, paid vacas etc.?

I've noticed that I make some gross assumptions about flashy men and I don't know where that came from. One dude picked me up in some huge, new looking Escalade and I was like eeeeuuuuuwwww. So weird lol

I'm sorry, broke is not sexy.

Well let me elaborate, if he man has potential then sure. Like say he is broke because he is still in med school or he is just starting up his promising business. Ok.

But if he is just laying up on a couch, no plan for the future? Just trying to get by with his looks and charms? Nah...not really interested in being a "sponsor" for some dude.

Sigh. Some women look for any reason to be with a dude who is struggling.

There have been so many variations of this question presented to Black women.

Would you date a man who makes half your salary?
Would you date a man who hasn't worked in a year?
My favorite: Would you date a man who has potential? Late 30s with potential? Huh.

It's gotta be a trick question or some sort of romanticized bubble that women need to burst. In real life the toad doesn't turn into prince charming. #spoiler

Having someone provide for you makes it impossible to consider someone not providing for you. Therefore, at this point in my life, i can't do it
Even when i had "broke periods" with my ex, he still provided.
You can aslp work and go to school full time.
Plus, do you know how proud men are when they handle business? I like that, and im not taking that from him. Im too old at age 30, to be with a broke man. Its pointless. Just be by yourself. Treat yourself to nice ****. Im dead serious too, not being snarky. Broke and dating is for young people.

I will throw in that while it is impossible for a broke man to treat a woman like a princess, it's not possible for the majority of men who are not royalty or sitting on some royalty kinda money.

That said, a broke man and a typical thousandaire can be nice and respectful towards you and make you feel special with nothing more than his mouthpiece. That's what they are supposed to do in order to win your favor. This is courtship 101. But when ya'll start turning a dude making you feel special in non tangible ways into princess like treatment then you're aiding and abetting low expectations and I shan't have it.

I SHAN'T!

I will throw in that while it is impossible for a broke man to treat a woman like a princess, it's not possible for the majority of men who are not royalty or sitting on some royalty kinda money.

That said, a broke man and a typical thousandaire can be nice and respectful towards you and make you feel special with nothing more than his mouthpiece. That's what they are supposed to do in order to win your favor. This is courtship 101. But when ya'll start turning a dude making you feel special in non tangible ways into princess like treatment then you're aiding and abetting low expectations and I shan't have it.

I SHAN'T!

I agree. These broke dudes have to find ways to compensate for their lack of financial stability. The thing is, they should be using that energy to improve their financial situation.

I SHAN'T!
Thanks was not enough

For me, it would depend on the situation. In my case, I married him! Why he's broke because he has kidney failure and has dialysis three times a week so it is almost impossible for him to keep a job. How does he treat me like a Queen even with no money you ask? One, most of what he has comes to me for the household, Two, I don't have to worry about the house, he does all (most) of the cooking, laundry, and housework as well as is available when I need him to run errands. He let'bs me know how special I am and I know he would move heaven and earth for me. He also, when he can does what he can for me. I know that I am his Queen and he is my King. Yes he doesn't have money but he makes it up in so many other ways and for that I love him broke and all

Hey guys I forgot about this thread ! Let's say he s very kind,has a stable job but not good at saving money ,spend all his money on taking you out ,buying gifts and stuff like that . Respectful,kind and adoring . You know the type you see in movies minus the lavish lifestyle.

Hey guys I forgot about this thread ! Let's say he s very kind,has a stable job but not good at saving money ,spend all his money on taking you out ,buying gifts and stuff like that . Respectful,kind and adoring . You know the type you see in movies minus the lavish lifestyle.

Eh, IME guys like this are a dime a dozen. Aim higher and be careful, it's easy to catch the feels when someone is showering you with attention :lol:
If he's ambitious , don't drop him just in case :look:

Eh, IME guys like this are a dime a dozen. Aim higher and be careful, it's easy to catch the feels when someone is showering you with attention :lol:
If he's ambitious , don't drop him just in case :look:
Boy I couldn't agree more. I had my share of guys who really had great jobs, making great salaries and they showered me with gifts and trips (in the beginning). They would brag about how well they were doing financially. But then slowly but surely you come to find out they are buried in debt, living way above their means. Yeah, in other words...dead broke with bad credit. The lack of financial responsibility was a definite turn off. That was always my cue to exit.
Eta: Now, when I sense it could get serious; I bring up the topic of credit reports.

Last edited:
Serious question being treated like a princess is entirely about materialistic things?
Any ass hole can buy you things and take you out?
Some think it's their price they have to pay to get some you know what?
I agree. I know a lot of guys like this. They feel the more money they spend, they own you. Some throw money at a woman to get her out his face but keep her on a leash.

A man treating me like a queen would be the courtesy he should have as a man (opening doors, carrying bags, etc), serving me or getting things I love to eat without me asking, being very attentive and caring, putting me over Football, and back rubs or foot rubs. My love language is more time spent and selfless act than gifts.

Last edited:
For me, it would depend on the situation. In my case, I married him! Why he's broke because he has kidney failure and has dialysis three times a week so it is almost impossible for him to keep a job. How does he treat me like a Queen even with no money you ask? One, most of what he has comes to me for the household, Two, I don't have to worry about the house, he does all (most) of the cooking, laundry, and housework as well as is available when I need him to run errands. He let'bs me know how special I am and I know he would move heaven and earth for me. He also, when he can does what he can for me. I know that I am his Queen and he is my King. Yes he doesn't have money but he makes it up in so many other ways and for that I love him broke and all

So he's on disability? Just curious, and not trying to get up in your business but, can't he work from home or would it be too stressful?
Does he get an allowance for performing the domestic duties? Again, I'm curious, but you don't have to answer.

Someone mentioned upthread that men have to compensate for financial shortcomings, and its obvious that your husband is stepping up.

Before we got married he told me that he would take care of the house so that I wouldn't have to worry about any of those things. I never had to ask and it's always done. He has some things that he is working on from home and has my full support put we are getting ready to add a service to my business which would be his profession.

He does not get an allowance for what he does, we are a team, when I'm short at the beginning of the month he carries me and when he's short at the end of the month I carry him. He pays a couple of bills, my son pays a couple of bills and I take the rent. Between my son and my husband they split the food. Normally we have extra at the end of the month and at the beginning of the month my husband makes sure we go out on a date.

So he's on disability? Just curious, and not trying to get up in your business but, can't he work from home or would it be too stressful?
Does he get an allowance for performing the domestic duties? Again, I'm curious, but you don't have to answer.
Someone mentioned up thread that men have to compensate for financial shortcomings and its obvious that your husband is stepping up.

Serious question being treated like a princess is entirely about materialistic things?
Any ass hole can buy you things and take you out?
Some think it's their price they have to pay to get some you know what?

I don't think so. But I do think that treating you well is a bare minimum. The fact that a many showers you with attention, takes care of you, etc should be a bare minimum. Women are expected to be all things but men stay doing less than the minimum and getting points for it. A man should treat you like a princess-that is a given not a substitute for not having money.

@GodsPromises I understand everything you are saying. My husband is dealing with a major health issue that has pretty much taken over our lives.

However......

I agree with you that it depends on the situation. Mostly age imo. In my situation, dh made sure to work his ass off while he was young. In his 20s and 30s, he did all he could to get to a comfortable place making a high salary at a large company. He's also a handy man (car maintenance, household). Now that we're in our 40s and dealing with his illness, it is a definite strain on our finances. But, all that we built together has made it possible for us to make it through.

I cannot understand being with a man who can't keep a job and doesn't want to work full time. I'm not the type to want a house husband who's able bodied and healthy. He betta go to work! :look:

So, I say all that to say - I wouldn't recommend any BW in her late 20s "work with a brotha" or deal with a broke man. Maybe I can say a broke man attitude. Because I do understand when you meet a very young man who is honestly working to build wealth. He has good character and treats you well.

I feel like I'm rambling! :lol: I hope my general point came across. :)

Depending on your definition of broke . I could handle a 65,000 per year professional with mortgage , school loan , car payment, and credit card debt. I'm old. My standards have dropped.

Back