What non-LHCF hair practices work for you?

ajoyfuljoy

I know that stretching is not for me. Stretching causes me to loose more hair. period. When I have less new growth, I loose less strands. When I have more new growth, my hair is more difficult to comb and I loose more strands. Point Blank.

Co-signing. My NG is too unruly for me to stretch.
I have no problem with sulfates in my shampoo
Nor do I have a problem with mineral oils in my conditioner.

Last edited:
Mineral oil products (KeraCare, Motions Moisture Plus, Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1, etc...)
Heat is my friend (Direct Heat...i.e. Flat iron on medium 1x per week)
I can't detangle in the shower. In fact, I wait until my hair is damp/dry because it breaks when I comb it wet. I feel so ALONE!!I just may be the only LHCFer who does this...
I love cones

Last edited:
My favorite moisturizer has mineral oil in it. I use heat weekly. I have to blowdry my hair before bunning. No wet buns for me if I want to keep my hair.

I don't apply leave-ins to my hair at all when in braids or twists and that's usually a no-no.

I would have to say no indirect heat. I flatiron 1-1 1/2 times a week. my hair is too short for much else right now.
no-combing - too short for that too!

I know that stretching is not for me. Stretching causes me to loose more hair. period. When I have less new growth, I loose less strands. When I have more new growth, my hair is more difficult to comb and I loose more strands. Point Blank.

I can't stretch either.:nono: My hair breaks like crazy. 8 weeks is the longest I think I can go (without braids or sew ins).

Last edited:
Mineral oil products (KeraCare, Motions Moisture Plus, Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1, etc...)
Heat is my friend (Direct Heat...i.e. Flat iron on medium 1x per week)

I'm so tempted to try some of the mineral oil condishes...especially Keracare.

I also know that when I used to use Motions DC pre-LHCF, I liked how it felt on my hair.

Mineral oil - I don't mind it in anything, as long as a product works, I'm good with it. It's actually said to be used as a conditioning agent in hair care.

Sulfates - I prepoo of ORS Mayo or an oil is sufficient to curb the stripping.

Low manipulation - my hair will tangle if I go longer than 24 hours without running a comb through it.

Oils - I only use them to prepoo, not seal or anything else. I may start sealing my ends again, but I haven't done it in months and there are no issues because of it.

Cones - A must for detangling! I prefer to seal with a cone serum.

Baggying - no no no

Protein - I use it weekly in a DC, and in my moisturizer (Profectiv MegaGrowth) and it keeps my hair strong, soft, and shiny. And it lays down new growth like nobody's business!

Last edited:
1.Pressing my hair with the old fashion hot comb.
2.Blow drying my hair on a regular basis.
3.Not jumping on the various growth-aid band wagons.

1.Pressing my hair with the old fashion hot comb.
2.Blow drying my hair on a regular basis.
3.Not jumping on the various growth-aid band wagons.

I know. I hate growth aids. There is nothing worse to me than walking around with stinky/greasy hair under a wig!

I also hate baggying.

I tried it ONCE. I was interning in London, sitting at my desk with olive oil running down my face. That's NOT a good look :lachen:

Dang gym you bold! What do you use in place of DCing?

And what permanent color do you use?

You know I am a dare devil. Someone has got to experiment? How else do you know you are being efficent in your hair practices?

I used softsheen carson hi rez the last time but I am trying something different next month.

1) I DC 4 times a year, only when I do a texlax touchup.

2) When I do DC, I use Motions Moisture Plus (full of cones.)

3) Most of the time, I don't use leave-ins. I just co-wash and rollerset with plain water.

4) On rare occasion that I shampoo, I use Motions Lavish (contains sulfates).

You know I am a dare devil. Someone has got to experiment? How else do you know you are being efficent in your hair practices?

I used softsheen carson hi rez the last time but I am trying something different next month.

yeah I just went to the website, those are pretty hair colors :yep:

I know that permanent color plus non-DCing will make my hair break off b/c that has happened to me before. But I'm glad that it is working for you, go get it gurl!

1. Combing- I learned my lesson I comb everyday and I only lose shedded hairs.
2. Mineral Oil products- they work well for me
3. Protected styles all the time- I wear my hair down 85% of times and i do not have a problem with breakage

Mineral oil and grease work fine for me. I had to go back to rubber bands, because ouchless bands turned "yucky" :wallbash: on me and lost their shape, even though I never used them.

Plus my stylist trims my hair once every other year.:lachen:

Last edited:
I'm glad to just see the different opinions expressed in this thread. It is good to know that things that are outside of our norm can still work - and work very well.

It just goes to prove that you can't always follow blanket advice, you have to really find out what works for your own head.

Bagging is NOT for me!
I stopped sealing. It was too much for my hair. My hair feels more moisturized and less greasy since I stopped. I figure since I was doing it everyday anyway, whats the point?!?!?

1. Combing- I learned my lesson I comb everyday and I only lose shedded hairs.
2. Mineral Oil products- they work well for me
3. Protected styles all the time- I wear my hair down 85% of times and i do not have a problem with breakage

Once I detangle and style my hair, I also loose minimal hair from combing every day or every other day.

I honestly don't see what the fuss is about mineral oil. I use it all the time. Oh, and baggying cause breakage for me.

That is all.

I can't baggy... my hair doesn't like sitting in water and other stuff... I like grease and I use Long Aid gel to hold my edges down

I don't seal my hair at all. My hair doesn't like oil.

I don't moisturize. Washing and DCing once a week keeps my hair soft and supple.

I use a fine toothed comb.

I blowdry with no heat protectant. Just don't turn it up high enough to smoke.

I don't co wash or baggy. My hair didn't like either one of those.

Back