Naturals - B.low drying? Really so bad?

What was the effect of blow drying your hair???

• My hair tolerates more manipulation without breakage that way

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • My hair becomes damaged with even a little heat

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • It's fine for my hair if I stretch and use cool settings

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • It doesn't really affect my hair, just a styling preference

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • Other - please post

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I never blowdry anymore... Not only was it drying to my hair at the time, its just too much effort. I remember getting about 5 splits in what seemed like more and more of my hair when trying to blow dry it out after every wash (the heat wasn't that high either). Even when I go to flat iron it, I leave it to airdry first (or use it on cool if I REALLY had to).

My hair tends to be fine with blowdrying, but I'm always super protective of my hair when I do it (e.g. protein treatment, DC, leave ins, serums, all that jazz), like I think most of us are :yep:. That said, I don't do it often, because I like the look and feel of my hair rollersetting better. I always rollerset when I was relaxed too, and I just like how shiny I feel my hair looks when doing it. And because I absolutely MUST flatiron my hair after if I'm wearing it straight, I like to limit the amount of direct heat as much as possible.

I will blowdry for stretching purposes on occasion, like if I'm wearing my hair curly but want to show at least a little length. I'll braid and airdry my hair part-way, but my hair won't dry unless it's blow-dried. I'll also use it as a diffuser if I'm doing a wash n go and I'm running too late to let it airdry. Other than that I tend to leave it alone, but once I perfect my straigtening technique I might do it more often (like 5-6 times a year, versus 2 now).

I blow my hair out with a dryer and Denman brush whenever I press it myself these days. I'm trying to cut back cuz I don't wanna do it too often. This year is the most I've ever blow dried/pressed my hair out....

As far as how bad it is for your hair, the higher the heat you use, the more often you do it, the longer the dryer is held to your hair while doing it, the less heat protectant you use, and the less skilled you are at blow drying are all factors that would make it more detrimental to your hair.

Of coure there will always be some people who can practically put a torch to their head and their hair will still either look good, or rebound quickly...I am not one of those people.

I say all of this to say that, with blow drying, like straightening the hair, you have to find what works for you. Try not to overdue the heat temperature, use a good protectant, and most of all, monitor your ends...all things equal, if you experience more splits and dryness after blowdrying, then it's probably the blow drying affecting your hair, so either cut back or revise your technique and/or product(s).

Good luck :drunk:

With me its just a personal preference. I don't like the way my hair looks when I blow dry it. If I rollerset, my hair looks nicer for a longer period of time.

SSB, I'm still trying to figure out my difusser. I don't think I'm using it correctly.

Can anyone recommend a good product to protect against heat? I can't remember the name of the serum I used to use...[/quote

I recommend Aveda Brilliant Damage Control. It's water based so it doesn't weigh the hair down. And its heavily concentrated, so a little goes a long way.

With me its just a personal preference. I don't like the way my hair looks when I blow dry it. If I rollerset, my hair looks nicer for a longer period of time.

SSB, I'm still trying to figure out my difusser. I don't think I'm using it correctly.

THIS IS OFFTOPIC (sorry!) but BostonMaria, your child is beautiful. I loved the other picture as well! It was very funny!!

The only time I've had negative experience with blow-drying is when I put it on too high, did it too much (it requires quite a bit of manipulation, imo) or just got lazy with my technique. Thus, it was all on me rather than heat. I feel that telling someone to totally swear off heat because I've made a mistake would be akin to telling them never to trim because I used to do it too much (thus slowing my progress).

Overall, if I keep the heat on low/medium, use enough heat protectant and don't spend too long on one section, I have no problems. When I blow my hair out, I also detangle first before using the comb attachment because it prevents breakage and spending more time than I need to with the dryer. My hair reverts as normal after a good wash and condition. I mainly blow my hair out when I'm about to braid up because it makes the process easier.

Last edited:
Back