What non-LHCF hair practices work for you?

-trim like 2 times a year
-relax bone straight
-direct heat weekly
-heat almost everyday (sweaty roots from working out)
-using cones instead of oil again :grin:
-do not use water based moisturizers. I hate them...each and every one of em
-moisturizing protein weekly
-comb everyday
-wrap twice a day (after working out on way to work/classes and at night)

no growth aids

I use products with mineral oil and cones for 15 years...still have thick, healthy hair.

I use shampoo every other day in the winter time and everyday in the summer time then I condition. I like a clean scalp.

co-washing sucks...for me anyway

No super long stretches
Flat ironing every week
Blowdying
Permanent color and a relaxer :thud: :lol:
No deep conditioning
You brave thing you. LOL You too funny!
I thought I was only of a few who flatironed once a week.
It's funny how some of the things we did before LHCF made our hair thrive. I know right after being with dear LHCF since August last year, I look at my hair sometimes and ask, "Whaaat the @#$%!!!!

The whole only co washing once a week wouldnt ride with me, i have to co wash DAILY. I bun when wet, style when wet. If my hair is dry, i will wet it so i can style.

The no combing thing wouldnt ride with my hair... My hair would take over my head, like some kind of strange vine plant growing on top of my head.

let's see....

i comb my hair everyday (it doesn't break or snag, so why not?)
i press my hair with the old school pressing comb and then i flat iron it
i never use water based moisturizers (reverts my hair)
i get braids once a year during summer and that's the most protective hair style my hair has ever seen. i've worn it down everyday this year so far
i see my stylist 2x a month
no growth aids, vitamins and water work well enough for me
i wrap my hair the regular way (not cross wrap) and i haven't seen any breakage or thinning

all of that and my hair is thriving !

i'm sure i'll think of more later.

> I don't wrap my hair
> I don't use water-based moisturizers
> I clarify weekly
> I don't use any heat protectants ....
which all contain cones(ones that i know of at least)...which means my hair gets plugged up...which means moisturizing during the week is useless ...which leads to build up and dryness ...which results in breakage and HAM hair...the end :lachen:

> I don't wrap my hair
> I don't use water-based moisturizers
> I clarify weekly
> I don't use any heat protectants ....
which all contain cones(ones that i know of at least)...which means my hair gets plugged up...which means moisturizing during the week is useless ...which leads to build up and dryness ...which results in breakage and HAM hair...the end :lachen:

what do you do with your hair at night? just go to bed?

Since I sleep on my sides, I just smooth the fronts of my hair away to the back and clip it down. Can't do a wrap for the love of my life.

Hmmmm....
For me, I have never did the baggying method, just didn't seem to make sense to me.
I always comb and brush - KISS method didn't make sense to me especially transitioning.
Co-washing is a NO GO. My hair is so thick that wetting my hair more than wash day is crazy.
I would never rock the PS, didn't understand the point of long hair cooped up, so wigs and weaves are out.
I rarely stick to the same products and my regimen isn't consistent.
I go to the Dominicans and get a roller set and blow out with the round brush, ever so often.
I don't make my own products.
I use heat on the regular, blowdrying and flat-ironing. I tried to air dry once and I swear it took like 3 days to dry. My hair holds moisture like crazy.
I can't remember my vitamins half the time.
The list goes on...

Sulfate shampoo
No deep conditioning-it makes my hair softer, but it's not worth the effort
Heat all the time
No growth aids
No oil or moisturizer. The cleaner my hair is, the better it looks and feels. Oil makes my hair kind of stick together, I don't know how to explain it.
No protective styles

I guess for me the most important thing is to keep my hair and my scalp clean.

I use heat all the time my hair loves it-I can blowdry weekly with no problems
I dont avoid mineral oil and cones
I do do wet wrap all the time with no problems

As much as I love shea butter and castor oil, I will put some mineral oil based hair grease in my hair w/o reservation. My hair loves this Lustrasilk grease that I get from the grocery store...it's a keeper. :lick:

I can't detangle in the shower. In fact, I wait until my hair is damp/dry because it breaks when I comb it wet. I feel so ALONE!!I just may be the only LHCFer who does this...
I love cones

You are not alone! I thought I was the only person here, esp. being a natural, but I don't detangle in the shower. I don't detangle until my hair is damp or dry. I lose way too much hair when my hair is wet.

blow-drying and flat-ironing my hair with grease
washing and conditioning my hair every 3-4 weeks

So far, no non-LHCF practices work for me. I was really bad before this site and am, for the first time, retaining length. I haven't been here too long, so I'm sure my answer will change with time. :ohwell:

cj

You brave thing you. LOL You too funny!
I thought I was only of a few who flatironed once a week.
It's funny how some of the things we did before LHCF made our hair thrive. I know right after being with dear LHCF since August last year, I look at my hair sometimes and ask, "Whaaat the @#$%!!!!

:lol: I flat iron sometimes more than once a week :look:

I would have to say no indirect heat. I flatiron 1-1 1/2 times a week. my hair is too short for much else right now.
no-combing - too short for that too!

What exactly do you do when you flat iron your hair the 1/2 time. :lachen::lachen::lachen:. I dont know why that made me laugh. im just in a silly mood today.

Wow, I thought I was the only person on here who does not follow lhcf methods to the T :grin:.
DISCLAIMER:
Though I am grateful for this site-my original methods grew my hair longer and stronger and I have gone back to them:grin:. I am natural pressed so maybe certain methods on lhcf are not in accordance with what makes my hair thrive. No hard feelings..:look: So here it is:

1. No protective styles (lost more hair)
2. No clarifying unless a gentle clarifyer and not often (caused more problems and wasn't necessary for me)
3. I use sulfate poos- my hair isn't stripped so I need a better arguement)
4. I wash my hair twice a month
5. I press my hair twice a month (longer length everytime)
6. No heat protectant unless a nice serum (otherwise makes the job harder with it- no benefits)
7. I use a blow dryer with comb attachment (a good ionic/ceramic one)
8. No cutting.
9. Cones are great!
10. Biotin does grow my hair ( I have bundles of new growth)
11. certain petroleum greases are fine to me-no heavy handedness
12. No baggying
13. More cautious of product raves:spinning: (though I appreciate them)
14. I do what works for me and love learning new ideas on this site. If they don't work- keep it movin before a setback occurs

Last edited:
I relax bone straight. This last time she texlaxed me and the next day I re-relaxed bone straight.
:spank:

Wow, I thought I was the only person on here who does not follow lhcf methods to the T :grin:.
DISCLAIMER:
Though I am grateful for this site-my original methods grew my hair longer and stronger and I have gone back to them:grin:. I am natural pressed so maybe certain methods on lhcf are not in accordance with what makes my hair thrive. No hard feelings..:look: So here it is:

1. No protective styles (lost more hair)
2. No clarifying (caused more problems and wasn't necessary for me)
3. I use sulfate poos (sodium lauryl sulfate- my hair isn't stripped)
4. I wash my hair twice a month
5. I press my hair twice a month (longer length everytime)
6. No heat protectant (makes the job harder with it- no benefits for me)
7. I use a blow dryer with comb attachment (a good ionic/ceramic one)
8. Mineral oil products are great!
9. Cones are great!
10. Biotin does grow my hair ( I have bundles of new growth)
11. certain petroleum greases are fine to me-no heavy handedness
12. No baggying
13. More cautious of product raves:spinning: (though I appreciate them)
14. I do what works for me and love learning new ideas on this site. If they don't work- keep it movin before a setback occurs

:ban:....:lachen:

I don't look at ingredents in hair products anymore, it takes too much time and I could be avoiding something that could work for my hair, so I just buy what works for me...

Back