What non-LHCF hair practices work for you?

i think i differ from most ppl in that im an extreme minimalist when it comes to my hair. i only use one product: conditioner and thats it. i cowash once a day and leave my hair to dry on its own and do its thing. it only takes 2mins out my day to complete my routine but my hair seems to like the "less is more"

i think i differ from most ppl in that im an extreme minimalist when it comes to my hair. i only use one product: conditioner and thats it. i cowash once a day and leave my hair to dry on its own and do its thing. it only takes 2mins out my day to complete my routine but my hair seems to like the "less is more"

i want to become more of a minimalist

along with lowering manipulation
it'll sure lessen the money that's coming out of my pocket.

this is a goal of mine this year.

1. I relax (touch-up) every 4-5 weeks. No stretching.
2. Almost every shampoo I own contains sulfates.
3. Oh yeah, I shampoo weekly, and sometime two or three times a week.
4. I use direct heat. Blow dryer and flat iron.
5. I don't trim.
6. I don't moisturize everyday.
7. I love conditioners containing mineral oil.
8. I LOVE CONES! I use them daily.

Last edited:
I use cones, mineral oil, hair grease and my hair stills grows and retain length. I wear my hair in a puff almost everyday and leave my ends loose. I hate protective styling but I do like to wear my hair up in a nice updo.

For me

No Baggy
Growth aid - been there done it (recent try on megatek)- not for me, I think my scalp does not like any application of stuff period, will use the rest as regular conditioner.
Heat Protectant- my leave in contains silk AA, and I deep condition with protein con before application thats all
I apply oil hair before flat ironing- actually before blow drying

When i blow dry my hair on low heat,my hair dries sooooooo soft and it is so moisturized it is crazy.On top of that i have the very least breakage this way.I love the results so much that i am tempted to do it 2-3x a week.I know this is pushing it,but i love the feel of that just washed,blow dried hair.
I have been shampooing my hair multiple times a week since i've started using CON green label.

i don't baggy - my hair gets mushy and breaks
I don't air dry - my ends get crunchy and split- blow drying on low heat works for me

Same thing happens to me when I try to stretch.

Low manipulation doesn't work for me because it causes my hair to tangle a lot and then I end up with more shedding :wallbash:

I relax every 6 weeks like clock work!

-My poo has cones. That's just how it is...I will never stray from CON, ever

-I do use products with mineral oil and I still have hair ;)

-I CANNOT baggy:nono:

-My poo has cones. That's just how it is...I will never stray from CON, ever

-I do use products with mineral oil and I still have hair ;)

-I CANNOT baggy:nono:

CON has cones in it?

-Okay, for one, I don't baggy and i already know thats a big no no for my hair.
-My hair can retain moisture very well, so i don't need to do it every day. If i do, I'd get a moisture overload.
-My hair just may not like to be air-dried. esp since it isn't long enough to bun, it kinda just look crazy after wards.
-I can stretch, but if i don't have any braids/weave, i will definitely not stretch more than 12weeks, my fine strands don't play that-no matter how much protein I do.

BTW, OP very good thread. This let people know (esp newbies), that what may work for one head may not work for everyone, and vice-versa. It's okay if you do something that most may not agree with, as long as you know it's working for you.

I use shampoo with SLS at least once a month.
I use cones (these are seriously hard to avoid!)
I can't detangle on wet hair, I lose too much hair that way.
No combing does not work for me: tangle city.
I detangle with a Conair paddle brush every week. Otherwise I notice my shed hairs wrap around healthy hairs and result in nasty tangles where I end up cutting/breaking off the healthy hair. I have to get those shed hairs out on a frequent, regular basis!

I wash my hair every-other-week with an SLS shampoo...

I don't avoid cones...

I never baggy with wet hair--only dry hair drenched in oils...

I blow dried my hair on low heat this week before I did my sew in, and it was niiicccee!! Very moisterized!

Same thing happens to me when I try to stretch.

Low manipulation doesn't work for me because it causes my hair to tangle a lot and then I end up with more shedding :wallbash:

I relax every 6 weeks like clock work!

Gosh I just visited your fotki for the first time this weekend. I feel like I've never seen your hair. You have INCREDIBLE hair!

CON has cones in it?

-Okay, for one, I don't baggy and i already know thats a big no no for my hair.
-My hair can retain moisture very well, so i don't need to do it every day. If i do, I'd get a moisture overload.
-My hair just may not like to be air-dried. esp since it isn't long enough to bun, it kinda just look crazy after wards.
-I can stretch, but if i don't have any braids/weave, i will definitely not stretch more than 12weeks, my fine strands don't play that-no matter how much protein I do.

BTW, OP very good thread. This let people know (esp newbies), that what may work for one head may not work for everyone, and vice-versa. It's okay if you do something that most may not agree with, as long as you know it's working for you.

Thanks. This all started when I just cut 4 inches of my hair, decided to wear it out more and just enjoy it every week. I will be breaking rules but doing it my way and I'm confident that I will still retain. I'm glad to hear other people's regimen quirks too!

I love my cones and I turn my Sedu up as high as it will go :look:

Are you relaxed or natural? What's your texture? I use my SEDU on 360 to tame my new growth. But it plumps up several days later and that is with Sabino Moisture Block (which I can still tell is making a HUGE difference in my hair, despite the NG still plumping up).

I wonder if I used my SEDU on full strength if my NG would stay flat ironed for more than 3-4 days. Hmmm.

- I can't stretch relaxers - my hair just breaks.

- I rarely dc - this is out of laziness.

- Wet buns/leaving my hair to dry naturally is a no-no - makes my hair very weak.

- I have to comb twice a day.

- i blow dry and flat iron once a week.

- i don't co-wash - my scalp is always left with a white residue if i do and i'm itching till the next wash.

- i use Dax light blue hair pomade (grease) on my hair and scalp. Whenever i stop using it (because LHCF says i shouldn't) my hair just feels weak and breaks and my scalp itches. I start using it again and my hair just loves it. My scalp is not blocked, doesn't itch and my hair IS moisturised.

1. Combing- I learned my lesson I comb everyday and I only lose shedded hairs.... me too:grin:
2. Mineral Oil products- they work well for me.... me too:grin:
3. Protected styles all the time- I wear my hair down 85% of times and i do not have a problem with breakage
...I wear my hair down 99% of the time and have never experienced breakage :grin:

Wet buns are not for... my have breaks off in a snap... learned the hard way :wallbash:

...I wear my hair down 99% of the time and have never experienced breakage :grin:

Wet buns are not for... my have breaks off in a snap... learned the hard way :wallbash:

Nice to hear that some ladies wear their hair down often. I was beginning to wonder if there's any point to having long hair if you shouldn't wear it down. :sad:

I don't use "products". If I could just use water, I would. But, I can't let go of castor oil. I don't use shampoos/conditioners/leave ins etc. All my hair stuff is edible and does double duty in my kitchen.

Blow drying
Daily brushing
Not protective styling
Not stretching

I just lobbed of 3.5 inches for a bob and I know it'll be back like the 11 I had before I lobbed of the 3.5 having BCed 11 months ago.

Megatek...and doing what works for me...is fantastic.

Are you relaxed or natural? What's your texture? I use my SEDU on 360 to tame my new growth. But it plumps up several days later and that is with Sabino Moisture Block (which I can still tell is making a HUGE difference in my hair, despite the NG still plumping up).

I wonder if I used my SEDU on full strength if my NG would stay flat ironed for more than 3-4 days. Hmmm.

I'm texturized, 4a. I only do touch ups twice a year so most of the time I'm working with alot of new growth. My hair/roots usually stay straight until my next wash :yep:

* no growth aids - the hair's gonna grow plus it's just toooooo much work. i'm all about keeping it simple.

* i wash every other week - usually every 7-10 days, closer to 10.

* i blowdry after every wash. going to experiment with airdrying but last time it was a disaster. that was many moons ago and before i found the lhcf board. we'll see.

I am never ever giving up gel to lay my edges down - ever! The way I see it, is as long as there is no alcohol in it- it's all good,

i never used heat protectants when i blow dried or flat ironed
hardly ever trim don't remeber last time i had one
i cannot airdry..my hair hates airdrying unless its a hot summer day over 95 degrees and i'm sittin in the sun
no growth aids
no protective styles
I LOVE CONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wash every 2 weeks and if i can ima try and go for a month..

-Using petroleum/mineral oil products, particularly Vaseline
-Using sulfate shampoos
-Using strong protein conditioner on the regular (1x a week)
-No baggying

My hair is better for it :D

Back